Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I need to bitch, and this seems to be the appropriate place. My boyfriend's parents have a German shepherd. A few weeks ago when we were visiting, they were talking about taking her in for a shave down because she's blowing her winter coat and is shedding massive clumps of hair. I pointed out that a furminator would help immensely, and was told, "Yeah, we had one of those, but you still had to brush her like once a week, or something." Apparently brushing their dog once a week is a ridiculous amount of effort. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Fat Dio posted:

^^Idiots

You tell those idiots that shaving their dog will make more and thicker undercoat grow than before, it will get matted and disgusting and overheat the dog, they'll get stuck with worse/more coat to maintain than what they have now.

If they're willing to spend money shaving it they may as well spend the same amount of money getting it properly bathed and blown out at a groomers. Or at least bring it in to the groomers and have them run the force dryer on her for like a half hour.

I'll keep trying, but they don't really listen to me because "you're not a dog person" and "you don't know what being a real adult is like!" :catstare: No, I'm not a dog person. There are currently two living dogs that I actively like and a handful that I don't mind. Doesn't mean I don't know about it. My first dog was a GSD mutt and the best dog ever. She died because of owner negligence* (I was 12) and I feel a moral obligation to do whatever I can to prevent that from happening to other animals.

*Failure to get all her shots, if anyone is wondering. She got parvo and mom didn't tell us because we were at camp, so we couldn't try to nurse her through it. She held on long enough to say goodbye to my sister and I, then went off into the pasture to die.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

My boyfriend's family has a German shepherd. They do the absolute bare minimum to take care of her. She's still got winter coat on her legs and tail. The undercoat is about 2" longer than the guard hairs and I'm afraid to attack it too hard with the undercoat rake because it's matted and I don't want to hurt her. Can I take a pair of hair cutting scissors and trim the fluff down without messing up her coat?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I asked about a slicker brush and got looked at like I'd sprouted a second head. I'm not particularly surprised. This is the same family that refuses to buy a good brush because they'd still have to brush her "once a week," which they think is unreasonable. I just want to make her feel better because she doesn't have anything good in her life. :ohdear: Her basic needs (medicine, etcR) are provided for and she's fed good food, but beyond that she's an accessory, not a pet. They won't fence in the yard because then they'd have to clean up poop. She only gets taken out to do her business.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Serella posted:

What do they do about the poop now? Leave it in someone else's yard?

They take her as close to the tall grass behind the house as possible. Or somebody else's yard. Just so long as they don't have to actually deal with the responsibilities associated with the dog they chose to buy.

• Locked thread