Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Whenever I'm looking after my grandmother's dog, I feed him eggs. It's not my fault he's always around when I make omelettes, and if she doesn't like the death farts she can stop dumping him on me without warning :colbert:

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, it's nice to know that I am not alone in my sins.

I only have 3 boxes for 4 cats and I even though I usually scoop it every few days, I should be doing it at least every other day (and probably every day). However, all of them are pretty good about going in the box even if it's pretty bad, but sometimes I will have a pee or poop right in front of the box, good thing I have wood floors instead of carpet now.

I also haven't taken any of my cats to the vet for at least 5+ years. They don't interact with any other animals and with the exception of the occasional supervised and brief foray out onto my patio, they never go outside so I don't think feel like they need the yearly shots.

I have stopped feeling bad about kicking D.D. off my lap because she tries to get on it constantly. I can kick her off may lap and she will try to get on it like 2 minutes later. She is also the most uncomfortable lap cat I have ever known and I tell her that all the time. She never manages to find a normal spot and she is constantly wiggling around. I have also told her before that she would be 'first against the wall'. She absolutely loves to be petted and if you scratch that spot right at the base of the tail her butt will go straight up into the air, but she gets angry if you pat it. Therefore, she gets her butt patted a lot and I laugh at her angry little meows and adorably cute 'biting'.

Smoke, the biggest and 'meanest' cat in the house is the exact opposite. He likes to have his rear end patted (and sometimes ridiculously hard) and usually hates when it's scratched, so he gets it scratched a lot and I laugh at his hisses and angry loud meows. I also taught Smoke to play with hands when he was a kitten, so any time you pet him, it can turn into a little game. He likes to relax and let you pet him, but will swipe at you with full claws when you try to take your hand away. I find this behavior generally hilarious, but he gets yelled at when he manages to really snag me with one of his claws.

L.T. would have been skinned alive as a kitten if he wasn't so adorably cute and fluffy. He had a real problem chewing wires and I hated him for it, but he managed to grow out of that phase. Now, he is one of the favored cats because he is still ridiculously cute and soft and fluffy. He also makes a big impression on visitors because he (along with Smoke) are the most social of the cats and he absolutely loves to be petted.

Oscar is my special little guy since he took an extra two months to catch. A year or so ago, he started wanting people food (I'm not sure how this started, but the guy I was letting live here may have started it) and I will generally indulge in this behavior. I only do it because Oscar is weirdly polite about the whole thing. He doesn't get in my face about it and will wait off to the side until I hold out a piece for him (I generally only offer him proteins) and then he will sniff it a little, then gingerly take it from my hand before running off to devour it. He doesn't usually come back for seconds, but bacon and shrimp will usually keep him around.

Speaking of food, I normally feed the cats Blue Buffalo, but when I'm lazy I will just get them the hairball Iams dry food because they eat it with no problems. I also feed them Friskies wet food, even though I know it's not the best thing out there. However, I caught the 3 dumpster kittens using Friskies and all of them eat the hell out of it. I have tried other wet foods, but all that did was cause them to puke it all up or just not eat it. So they will continue to get Friskies and I won't feel guilty about it.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 4, 2012

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I like to play a little game with my ex-barn cat, Josephine, called What Won't Jo Eat. I purposefully give her the worst things imaginable (for a cat) just to watch her crinkle her nose in disgust but eat them anyway because barn cat. After four years of this torment the only thing she's ever refused is raw asparagus, and that was just last week. It's marked on the calendar.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I fawned over a tiny tiny beagle puppy today at Petsmart. He is almost certainly a BYB or mill puppy, and he looked way too young to be away from his mother.

I said the word "precious" out loud.

:suicide:

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I like to enrage myself by looking at the list and photos of "hybrid dogs" on Dog Breed Info.

The names...The hideous, hideous names....

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Drum posted:

I like to enrage myself by looking at the list and photos of "hybrid dogs" on Dog Breed Info.

The names...The hideous, hideous names....

I do this too. Sometimes when I am bored and I am near other dog-people, I pull up Dog Breed Info and play "Guess the lovely hybrid mix by the name". I am also guilty of judging people by the breed of dog they own.

The second I see that someone is walking their dog on a retractable leash, they are put into the "dumbass dog owner" category. Bonus dumbass points for walking down busy streets with two or even three dogs on retractable leashes with the dogs running all over the place.

Edit to include bad things that I do because I should. My dog has been diagnosed with OCD and he nibbles cloth all the time and most of the time I try to calmly distract him but after over a year of this my patience is wearing thin and I find myself yelling at him more and I know its not helping things. Especially when I take him for a long walk and play fetch with him at the park, and the first thing he does when we come inside is walk to my bed and nibble the mattress. :( I am sorry Dexter. I know you're broken and can't help it.

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 4, 2012

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I just went to look at some of the hybrid names on that site. American Gointer, Bascottie, Bich-Poo...I had to quit at that point. I'm pretty sure that Bich-Poos are the only mutt combo that should 100% be called by that name.

More on topic, I want to thank this thread for making me feel WAY better about not having cleaned out the ferrets' litter box as often as I should have back in the day. Whatever, it made them less likely to use it as a bed.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Lmao I use retractable leashes when I'm hiking or in an unpopulated area and want to let Moses explore. He has good recall but I wouldn't trust him off leash if he suddenly saw someone with a dog, so retractable leash is the compromise. It's me, I'm the guy with the flexi-lead.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I used to use a retractible leash. It was easier to keep my dog untangled with it. The only reason I stopped is because he died and the new dog is a greyhound.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I make fun of Stan's bangs ALL THE TIME and do nothing to fix them when he looks like a dumb emo.

Edit:

And his sweater totally has dicks on it.

tsc fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 4, 2012

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Pyrotoad posted:

Whenever I'm looking after my grandmother's dog, I feed him eggs. It's not my fault he's always around when I make omelettes, and if she doesn't like the death farts she can stop dumping him on me without warning :colbert:

I'm convinced that feeding my dog omelets every weekend for the last few years has drastically increased his life span. He's a 15-year old Golden Retriever who still likes to run around and tussle over a ball/toy/whatever he can get his mouth on.

Or it may just be that he only survives to be able to eat them. Either way it's a win for me.

E: To stay on topic:

My first golden, ie. My dad's dog when I was born, pretty much adopted me. This meant we went everywhere together and he was a constant partner in any and all mischief a growing child gets into, including being used as a chair/stool/other climbing object for thievery (It was always the dog's fault). And of course he was the target of ear pulling, tail pulling, head climbing, neck holding, and anything else a child can get their hands or feet on. I know I had to have hurt him many times, but according to my parents he never once snapped, growled, or tried to harm me in any way. (My dad said he would get "Help Me" looks, though!) :shobon:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 4, 2012

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Whenever I eat a cup of greek yogurt I let my cat lick up the last bite of it off the spoon I was using. It's so drat cute but probably not great for him. I also feed him little greasy chunks of meat off of my pizza on the rare occasion I order out.

And tonight I did some room rearranging with a new computer chair and desk. It took him a bit to figure out how to get into his favorite spot on my lap and right after he did I farted and he mewled sadly at me before running away.

Poor Theodore, you put up with so much. But that's what you get for sleeping on my nice peacoat and getting cat hair all over it.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Lagomorphic posted:

I used to use a retractible leash. It was easier to keep my dog untangled with it. The only reason I stopped is because he died and the new dog is a greyhound.

My grandmother's dog (used to be ~mine~ when I was younger) is about 30 pounds and broke three retractable leashes because she pulls a lot. My grandparents walk her in a harness and nylon lead now.

Confession-wise, I got a dog when I was 10 and went through the whole I PROMISE TO WALK THEM EVERY DAY AND FEED THEM routine. Which I did, until I got on medication for depression/ADD/bipolar/flavor of the week pillz and would sometimes forget for two or three days to feed her (outside dog, but she had a water fountain thing so that was rarely out) because I was too busy staring blankly at walls. Went through a good chunk of my teenage years stoned on meds, neglected my dog, I think I might've accidentally killed someone's hamster too by not getting it water (I honestly have a hard time remembering that but my mom swears that happened).
The moral is that if your under the influence of anything you probably shouldn't be trusted with the care of an animal, but at least the dog is okay. She's about 12 or 13 now I think? Tenacious as ever. :3:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Superconsndar posted:

Lmao I use retractable leashes when I'm hiking or in an unpopulated area and want to let Moses explore. He has good recall but I wouldn't trust him off leash if he suddenly saw someone with a dog, so retractable leash is the compromise. It's me, I'm the guy with the flexi-lead.

I do this too, flexi-leads are pretty handy if you don't want to constantly untangle a long line from brush.

I just remembered this morning that I used to put peanut butter on the end of Skylar's nose and watch her wander around for ten minutes looking for the source of the smell.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Pew! Pew! posted:

Confession-wise, I got a dog when I was 10 and went through the whole I PROMISE TO WALK THEM EVERY DAY AND FEED THEM routine. Which I did, until I got on medication for depression/ADD/bipolar/flavor of the week pillz and would sometimes forget for two or three days to feed her (outside dog, but she had a water fountain thing so that was rarely out) because I was too busy staring blankly at walls. Went through a good chunk of my teenage years stoned on meds, neglected my dog, I think I might've accidentally killed someone's hamster too by not getting it water (I honestly have a hard time remembering that but my mom swears that happened).
The moral is that if your under the influence of anything you probably shouldn't be trusted with the care of an animal, but at least the dog is okay. She's about 12 or 13 now I think? Tenacious as ever. :3:

I had the opposite problem- I was slammed with crippling depression and anxiety right around adolescence (and a host of other complicated brain problems) that went undiagnosed for a long time. I *begged* my parents to take me to a doctor at various points but they wrote everything off as typical teenage angst (a really obnoxious mopey South Park Goth phase didn't help) and as a result I probably killed a buttload of unfortunate small pets over the years. Many poorly cared for reptiles (part of it was ignorance, the fact that the internet was young and info on proper pet care was nowhere neeeearly as accessible as it is today contributed) were the main thing, but I'm pretty sure during bouts of bad depression, I neglected some hamsters and gerbils to death.

The biggest one that I still feel guilty about it a rabbit I had when I was about 15. She was in a hutch outside and had an automatic waterer and I would forget to feed her for days. Went outside finally one day and she was very dead, and had been for a few days at least. I still have nightmares about that one.

Now that I take a bunch of pills and force myself to go outside, I take pretty good care of my pets, so. I haven't starved anything since I was 18 or 19 at least!! :smith:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

When I got off medication it actually helped me but that's because I was very badly misdiagnosed (I have BPD, which I don't think they can legally diagnose until you're 18 or something dumb like that?) but I was taking medications for completely unrelated stuff, like schizophrenia and psychosis. My grandparents were more like "believe anyone who has a degree".
I'm actually pretty relived they refused to have "inside" animals, so I didn't have the chance to beg for and then neglect various caged critters.

Another confession: I've used craigslist to rehome animals. This was before I discovered a local shelter that does actually take in small animals/exotics. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm on singulair, an albuterol inhaler and zyrtec for my never-ending cough. It makes me forget poo poo. It makes me zombiefried for like 10 minutes after I wake up. I have a list of poo poo I need to do stuck to the fridge and constantly open on the computer or I'd be like, mice? :confused: What mice?, by this point. Or my PISS present would be in the fridge (I've put pots and pans in the fridge and freezer like 10 times at this point)

I may or may not have gotten really out of it at one point and put the mouse food in the snake feeding enclosure, the dead mouse in the roach bin and the orange cubes in the mouse aquarium, too. I got rattled at for the mouse food. :saddowns: I'm sorry Joker.

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

I largely ignored my Boston for a year or two after, in the same month, a house fire started in our house that wouldn't have been caught if my husband hadn't played hookey that day, an apartment building next to us actually burnt to the ground, and my cousin killed himself. Seeing as how he only lived to be six, I will forever regret this. Our new apartment has sprinklers. :ohdear:

I put a cat in the dryer in 3rd grade because The Bad Kid came over to hang out. The cat was ok. In my defense, my childhood was a nightmare.

The dog my family had growing up did not have a good life and it haunts me. She ate Strongheart. My mom constantly yelled at her to 'go lay down', which meant under the couch. She was never ever taken to the vet ever. She died horribly and I can't even bring myself to type it out.

I'm pretty sure I gave my cat the diabeets by feeding it Meow Mix for most of its life.

I 'rescued' an abandoned dog that was about to be put down from the vet that I worked at a long time ago, but then had to give it up to a kill shelter shortly after due to my living situation. I'll always wonder if she made it.

I didn't fight hard enough to keep some iguanas in my care after a breakup and they died within a month living with the ex.

I hit a raccoon the other day. On the way to work. At the animal shelter.

I use my dogs as bongos.

I have put more than one kitten head in my mouf.

Horky fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 4, 2012

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I have outdoor cats and I have no intention of bringing them in.

My big doofy male hated my son so much he hid under the bed for the first 18 months of his life. He would only come out after my son went to bed and then it was only to piss on the furniture or hump the other cat. He's neutered. He also loved to sit on laps AND NOT RELAX. He'd just loving sit there and wait for a noise to startle him so he could leap off and cause major thigh lacerations.

He got moved outside and he's relaxed so much. He now acts like a normal cat and not a bed dwelling sub creature. When a stray showed up, we started feeding her so she stuck around. He LOVED her, she tolerated him. She was old and sickly and I was planning to move her into the house, but she died before I could. :smith: I feel guilty because I dragged my feet. Hudson liked her so much and I felt bad taking his buddy away. Sure enough after she died he was heartbroken and clingy and a mess.

So I went to the no kill shelter around here and asked for an unadoptable cat that likes other cats. They suggested a cat named Aimee who had been there for three years and returned three times because she wouldn't come out from under the sofa every time she had been adopted.

It's been amazing. She loves being outside here, she loves Hudson, I can tell she's amazed at being the "dominant" cat. She even lets me pet her from time to time. I may even decorate their shelters. I love my outdoor kitties. It's like my own nature show.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
I understand the reasons why people in the usa have to keep their cats indoors, but I also suspect a fair number of those cats are miserable and frustrated (NB I DID NOT SAY ALL OF THEM OK DON'T ANECDATA AT ME). If I lived in a place where I couldn't let my cat outdoors, I personally wouldn't have a cat v :) v

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I have a friend who lives in the country who had outdoor cats. One got hit by a car the other came home dying from a gun shot. So I'm cool with keeping my cats indoor cats.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

I have a friend who lives in the country who had outdoor cats. One got hit by a car the other came home dying from a gun shot. So I'm cool with keeping my cats indoor cats.

I grew up in the country with indoor-outdoor cats. We had close to thirty from the time I was six to the time I was sixteen. Only two of them are alive today (I'm 27 now).

I think there are valid reasons to allow cats outdoors, and even valid reasons for having outdoor-only cats, but personally I'll never let a cat outside off-leash again.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
cool

e. I'm pretty sure it was Sir Mixalot who first said "Anecdata? Don't want none!"

notsowelp fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 4, 2012

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I have an outdoor cat that lives at my parents house out in the country. They've been there 3 years and he's still doing alright. They do comment from time to time that he gets a lot more beat up than he used to get in town. I told them it's because he's probably fighting wild animals instead of other cats now :downs: He's not the brightest cat but he's lived outside for over 5 years and hasn't had any problems. I know I'll probably come home to a dead cat one of these days but he's so much more happy outside that I'd rather he lived as a happy outdoor cat than a miserable inside cat.

RetroVirus
Jun 27, 2004

I get really upset when a tumblr called handsomedogs doesn't post handsome dogs, has really ugly cell phone pics, and pictures of ~*designer breeds*~. I have to stop myself a lot from sending an annoying note yelling, "don't you ever type peek-a-poo again gently caress you."

One of my coworkers breeds oversized dobermans and tiny yorkies. I actually think that he is a Bad Human for this. His dobermans are gross and have huge hanging dewlaps ugh. When my (rescue :c00lbert:) doberman met one of his, I was smug as poo poo that mine didn't sport a pinch collar, was A LOT more agile, and has a way better crop-job.

I spend more time working with and exercising Vector (the dobe) because he's a needy smarty athlete. Brodie (akita), who is my favorite and best dogfriend, gets a 10 minute game of tug at best and watches DBZ with me on the couch instead of training. He's a couch potato, but I know he should get more work... his recall horrible, needs to be socialized a bit more, etc. His manners have been declining because I know just sniffing around the yard is not enough. :( Sorry Brodie, after I finish this big project I'll make it up to you!

One litter box for two cats, gets cleaned every 2-3 days. I don't think they mind, at least not enough to piss outside of the box. Sometimes I let one of the cats go outside because we have a lot of rodents and he just rules at catching them. HMm reminds me, I let Brodie hunt moles on our land and eat them... I am guessing that is definitely thing I should not let happen but it's cool to watch.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Adding myself to the lists for:

· litter box slackers.
· infrequent vet visits list. Every couple years.
· cheap food. I feed my cats kibble with some meat by-product as the #1 ingredient instead of corn, but that's as far as I'm willing to go until I win the lottery.
· Playing with cats as a kid. My poor childhood cat was often the "baby" when we played house, swaddled and everything. It didn't kill him, but even then I knew he hated it and it amused me.
· Heck, it still amuses me. :mmmhmm:

Also:
· I now have a humane respect for dogs and I think they're cute to look at but I still do not like being around them. They smell awful. Eww, eww, eww, eww! :barf:

RazorBunny posted:

I fawned over a tiny tiny beagle puppy today at Petsmart. He is almost certainly a BYB or mill puppy, and he looked way too young to be away from his mother.

I said the word "precious" out loud.

:suicide:

The Petsmart where I live only has adoptable shelter dogs and cats. I thought they all did :confused:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

notsowelp posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Sir Mixalot who first said "Anecdata? Don't want none!"

Yes but you're like a cat staringing longingly out the window at the world he will never know. I don't care what you want.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Not this again.

To bring us back on the topic of horribly abusing our pets, I give my cat more treats than my boyfriend's dog gets. I do it right in front of her stink dog face. :colbert: Cattes rule, even my dumb, annoying one.

I justify it since the cat often decides he doesn't want that piece of food and then the dog can have it I guess.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey annoys the poo poo out of me when he isn't being lump like- not because I hate it when he wants to do things, but he's not interested in doing things with me (like fetch or tug or anything that doesn't involve either food that I give him, food that he finds on the kitchen floor while I cook or petting) so its extremely difficult to get him to have a good/ appropriate outlet for his in the house energy. He's constantly underfoot looking for scraps when I cook and will try to steal any onion bits that fall on the floor.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I have a cat that is afraid of rattles. He used to have a cat toy that was just a rattle on wheels that he could bat around to make noise, if he wasn't terrified by it. I wound up keeping it in the front porch just so I could get him to come into the main house when it was time to lock up at night.

One day I was bored so I tied this toy to a piece of 6 foot long piece string and tied the other end to his collar. He didn't move for about a minute but as soon as he did he heard the rattle and took of running only for the rattle to give chase. He zigzagged across the living room about 4 times in one second before zipping up the stairs. I have never seen a cat run that fast in my life, he was just a fuzzy blur.

I found him cowering under a bed and untied the rattle. It took a few hours before he would come out. I threw out the rattle after that and I don't tease him anymore. These days I've just been rubbing catnip into my dog's fur to see what happens.

VVV Edit: I'll report my findings.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 4, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

^^^^ catnip on the dog... now there's one I've never thought of!

No more derail about indoor v outdoor cats. We all have our reasons, and most of them are good.

Now, everyone do ten Hail Marys and twenty Our Fathers.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

edit - sorry Pile of Kittens, you posted while i was writing.

Ema Nymton posted:

The Petsmart where I live only has adoptable shelter dogs and cats. I thought they all did :confused:

A customer was carrying him around the store. None of our local pet stores have dogs, even for adoption, unless it's a rescue fair day. Well, except Petland, which sells mill puppies, but I'm not even sure the one in Fairfax is still open. I hope not.

They do have adoptable cats in the little window thing at Petsmart, and in big crates at Petco. There is a gorgeous little calico girl at the Petco down the street who I would love to swoop up but she has severe dietary restrictions that I'm not sure I could make work with my existing brood. She's so sweet though :(

I think the beagle puppy will actually be okay, even if he probably doesn't have the best start. The staff at our Petsmart are extremely knowledgeable and caring. When the owners came in with the puppy they immediately asked for advice, and an older lady who really knows her stuff took them under her wing and guided them around the store. When I left they had a dog bed, an adjustable-sized crate, a bag of Zuke's treats, something from the premium food section (I didn't see what, but the clerk was talking to them about grain free and such), info on puppy socialization and training classes, and a puppy sized Kong. And they weren't done.

He was just soooo tiny. And I can imagine him learning to bay for the first time, woo woo woo. :3:

For another self-contribution, I have given up on stopping the cats from destroying the house. That's bad pet ownership, right? To concede defeat? I was sitting upstairs drinking tea this morning and I heard a bunch of loud noises from downstairs, and Husker raised his head, and I said, "Nope, I don't even want to know." He laid back down and I finished my tea and I still have no idea what the noise was.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Pile of Kittens posted:

^^^^ catnip on the dog... now there's one I've never thought of!

No more derail about indoor v outdoor cats. We all have our reasons, and most of them are good.

Now, everyone do ten Hail Marys and twenty Our Fathers.

My boyfriend likes to Hail Mary-throw Volts onto the bed from across the room. I always feel so bad for Volts, but he keeps going back for more...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

daggerdragon posted:

My boyfriend likes to Hail Mary-throw Volts onto the bed from across the room. I always feel so bad for Volts, but he keeps going back for more...

My husband used to slide Charlie across our bed really hard, and he always got up and ran back over to do it again. And he would throw him up in the air in a really high arc to land on the bed. He also beat on Charlie so hard he could barely breathe, and Charlie loved every second of it. Charlie would actually get mad at me for not thumping him hard enough.

I definitely thought I was dating an animal abuser the first time I saw it happen.

I miss that weird old cat :smith:

uptown
May 16, 2009
I like to grab my cat, Clover, and toss him in the air and catch him. I also enjoy holding him and spinning around until we're both dizzy, then watching him walk.

I know I could easily become a cat hoarder. I have two, and the only reason I don't have more is that they're best friends and I'm terrified of ruining their dynamic. Otherwise, I would come home with a sack full o'kittens on a weekly basis.

I laugh at my boyfriend every time Shanti slips him the tongue. That's what you get for trying to talk when all he wants to do is kiss you!

Clover pissed on the dog bed last time he had a UTI, and I just haven't been bothered to get Nature's Miracle for it yet. It's in the basement, and my dogs either sleep on a blanket on the floor, or on the couch. They don't seem to mind at all, but I feel guilty.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

It's cool, I don't expect the derail to stop on a drat dime, just gracefully grind to a halt.

I threw an orange peel at my bird the other morning because she was screaming even though we let her out of her cage. It hit her and she flew off to the corner of the room to stare at me reproachfully. She got over it, and now she shuts up when I tell her to shut up, so I'm not very sorry about it, just a little.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

TMMadman posted:

Speaking of food, I normally feed the cats Blue Buffalo, but when I'm lazy I will just get them the hairball Iams dry food because they eat it with no problems. I also feed them Friskies wet food, even though I know it's not the best thing out there. However, I caught the 3 dumpster kittens using Friskies and all of them eat the hell out of it. I have tried other wet foods, but all that did was cause them to puke it all up or just not eat it. So they will continue to get Friskies and I won't feel guilty about it.

Oh man, I forgot about that one...I always feed my cats Iams. It is the best quality dry food my crazy little tortie will eat reliably and the whole reason I have it is so she'll eat because she's so small and skinny all the time, so the vet wants her to have dry food available constantly in addition to the canned food I give them. So that's a good reason for it, but in truth, even when she passes (she's about 16, my other cat is about 5...guessing she's going to go first) I'll probably keep feeding it to Bagheera even though he'll eat anything because for some reason it makes their coats so incredibly soft. He used to have scraggly fur even on high-quality food brands but now he is soft and shiny and I love snuggling with him.

I also feed Fancy Feast wet food. Only the flaked kind, though, not the loafs. The good stuff is expensive and hard to find around here.

My dogs are on premium kibble and I'm picky about their diets, and I know I should be that way about my cats but I'm really not.

Also I discovered the tortie drooling excessively and her cheek is a little swollen again this morning and I know I need to schedule a vet appointment because she probably needs yet more teeth removed (she only has like 8 left) but I keep putting it off because I just spent $700 on dental bills for her like last loving month (well, maybe 2 months ago now), and another $300 shortly before that. I'm just going to tell them to pull them all this time even if they seem healthy.

edit: vvv I do that last one too. Also sometimes when someone comments about how well-behaved my dogs are (which happens shockingly often considering the bad behavior I tolerate/encourage), I pretend like it's easy and get all superior. "What, you mean your dog isn't like this?" type of thing. But it isn't easy, I work my rear end off for it, I just don't want to admit how much time I spend training my dogs.

Then hypocritically I get really harsh when someone just expects a dog to be good. "Dogs take a lot of work! You're setting him up for failure!" Which is true, but maybe I shouldn't spend half my time pretending my dogs are effortless if I want people to realize how much work dogs are...

double edit: Also this last weekend my partner and I had a party and Bandit was really chill the whole time and in the room with us and just really great, but no one really noticed it because it was just normal decently socialized-dog behavior and they didn't know his history of reactivity and fear, especially in those type of situations. So I eventually got frustrated that no one was acknowledging how incredibly amazingly awesome my dog was being by acting like a normal dog, and so I made everyone shut up and listen to me as I told them exactly how good he was that night. Also I pestered my partner about it for most of the next day. I was a little embarrassed upon realizing that because seriously that is kind of childish, but also my dog was very good. :colbert:

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 4, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
-I judge people for feeding kibble to their cats instead of wet/pre-packaged raw/raw food because even good kibble isn't as good as wet/raw....buuuut I also alternate meals with my cat so he gets one kibble meal, one wet/raw, because it's cheaper.

-I am irrationally disappointed and bored by people who own labs and goldens because they're so boring and durfy and they're all the exact same thing and there's so loving many of them. I get mad when I go to the dog park purely to look at other people's dogs and there's nothing but boring dumb labs there. The people that have them seem to just glaze over and chirp 'great family dogs!!!' over and over again when asked about their dog, and they always seem to be as dumb and ignorant of dog social cues as their dogs. 'Oh he's just trying to play!' when the 80lb dog is repeatedly ramming my 5lb dog into the ground = typical example. They're not bad dogs, I guess, just stupid as balls and people keep breeding them like mad, so it's not their fault that they're everywhere, but everytime I see a lab or a golden I want to euth it and replace it with a neat-looking other breed purely because I think they're boring and ubiquitous and I think people should have to deal with dog quirks instead of just 'push button, receive family dog'. Yup. :)

-That being said, though, I judge the other people I see with poms because my dog is cuter clearly I'm a better, more knowledgable owner than this person who I briefly saw on the street.

-When I'm at the dog food store with Keeper and someone else's dog, large or small, is acting out, I deliberately show off how much more well-trained and obedient he is and when people invariably go 'Wow that tiny dog is better trained than you, Rex/Fluffy/Dumb Lab' and I act all surprised and modest like I didn't expect them to notice. :smuggo:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Captain Foxy posted:

-When I'm at the dog food store with Keeper and someone else's dog, large or small, is acting out, I deliberately show off how much more well-trained and obedient he is and when people invariably go 'Wow that tiny dog is better trained than you, Rex/Fluffy/Dumb Lab' and I act all surprised and modest like I didn't expect them to notice. :smuggo:

I get so loving smug if I'm walking Lola and she walks nicely past a strange dog (I don't even care if I have a ball in front of her nose, it counts damnit). This is especially so if the other dog is having a screaming meltdown. I also just generally judge people who have dogs that are shrieking at me/my dog, but especially so if the owner is using dominance based methods.

'Heh, your methods really work, don't they :smug:'

One thing I always feel terribly guilty about is my chipmunks. The chipmunks were bought for me on impulse and lived in a lovely little cage (a male and female in a critter 3 cage :geno:). There was a male and female because the guy that bought them for me basically wanted to byb them, lol. The girl died like two months after I'd gotten her and I found her half eaten. Just a tail and back legs. I rehomed the male, even though he was my little bro, pretty much immediately after because I was Young And Dumb and didn't realise that was a natural thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Oh I rediscoverd my favorite form of harassment with my guinea pigs: like all of them seem to learn (genetic knowledge, clearly), they recognize bar rustling sounds as "food might be coming our way," so they get really excited and squeak and run around. When I'm sitting next to them bored and they won't come out of their house, and I'm too lazy to go move the house, I will rustle the closest bag and they more often than not come sprinting out squeaking their heads off, at which point I intercept the closest one for cuddles.

• Locked thread