Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

You're loving kidding me. Do we know what the chain of command was like for these programs? Were they mostly military run or CIA/NSA/whatever? I can't believe a general was able to bully his way into a MiG like that.

The old Air Force Systems Command (now part of Air Force Materiel Command, AFMC) was in charge of Air Force development programs like the F-117 (like AFMC is now for the F-22). So this 3-star was in the chain of command of all those programs for the Air Force. No one there really could tell him no, especially in the 80's.

At least it was a single seater so he just killed himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

GD_American posted:

Is that...senior NCO rank tabs? Is he ROTC or student 1st sergeant or something?

Chief Master Sergeant (as a First Sergeant) rank pins
Looks like a Missile Badge on his left pocket unless it's some rotc/cap thing
service dress nametag on his shirt? (the silver one only goes on the jacket, the one for the shirt is skinnier and blue)

So my guess is CAP.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

DoktorLoken posted:

At least it wasn't the red cable.

Yeah, NIPRNET isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. If you had used the red cable, however... you would probably be getting your laptop back without its hard drive.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

Firing RPG-7s in Bulgaria was pretty cool.

I got to fire an RPG-7 in Georgia and it was neat, as well as fire a bunch of Cold War-era Warsaw Pact assault rifles because apparently we had a shipping container full of ammo that needed to be used. We could see the firing range from our building and would sit and watch the Georgians fire RPG-7s all day.