Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pomp posted:

Yeah restart steam

Oh poo poo thanks

47gigs
Must be a lotta gun's!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will most likely have a child before this game comes out

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
:drat:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

yeouch

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
K

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if this game ever comes out it will be like a bizarre archaeological trip into late 00's humour

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

if this game ever comes out it will be like a bizarre archaeological trip into late 00's humour

that was essentially what happened with Duke Nukem Forever, but early 00's humour

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Big Word posted:

Platform Masters will come out before Barkley 2 :toxx:

He posted an update in the past week

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
oh man post that update

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
godspeed, platform master :patriot:

Hiratio
Sep 19, 2006
i will not allow
Chef vanished from the project 2 1/2 years ago. I've tried contacting him multiple times and haven't received a response. Bort left around the same time to be a family man.

The Kickstarter was not necessary, especially in hindsight. The majority of work on this game was unpaid. Myself, Bort, and Chef are the original Barkley 1 creators. I did not join the Kickstarter with them because I was aware of the many problems that could (and did) arise.

I was asked to join the project 3 years after the KS when the project had little money and was in shambles. I was committed to trying to finish the game but it was consistently set back by horrible management and I ended up quitting. The person who owns ToG and is running it now had nothing to do with Barkley 1 and has zero game dev experience. He is the ToG PR guy.

When I quit, Lazrool also quit. We were the only two remaining who understood the technical inner workings of this game. Laz worked on this project nearly from the start, pro bono, and was tired of the nonsense as well.

There is no incentive for "ToG" or anyone attached to the KS to talk about this debacle.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
the promise has been made.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hiratio posted:

Chef vanished from the project 2 1/2 years ago. I've tried contacting him multiple times and haven't received a response. Bort left around the same time to be a family man.

The Kickstarter was not necessary, especially in hindsight. The majority of work on this game was unpaid. Myself, Bort, and Chef are the original Barkley 1 creators. I did not join the Kickstarter with them because I was aware of the many problems that could (and did) arise.

I was asked to join the project 3 years after the KS when the project had little money and was in shambles. I was committed to trying to finish the game but it was consistently set back by horrible management and I ended up quitting. The person who owns ToG and is running it now had nothing to do with Barkley 1 and has zero game dev experience. He is the ToG PR guy.

When I quit, Lazrool also quit. We were the only two remaining who understood the technical inner workings of this game. Laz worked on this project nearly from the start, pro bono, and was tired of the nonsense as well.

There is no incentive for "ToG" or anyone attached to the KS to talk about this debacle.

Amazing.

Kind of wish the Kickstarter never happened and they were all still hanging around on the internet. Their joke's were a big influence on my sense of humor a decade ago and I started to forget that kind of stuff as the years passed.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Hiratio posted:

This only strengthens my resolve.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hiratio posted:

oh dear

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This really cheats the beef.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hiratio posted:

So what's the deal with frankie continuing to work on graphics for so long? Was he paid up front?

Also please leak a build.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
ok but BBall Tactics is coming out tho right????

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Welp. Change thread title to game dead.

That's very sad. Thanks for your work on the original game, I loved that poo poo, it helped get me through a pretty hard time in my life actually.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hiratio posted:

Aww. What about Gotarius? He was posting in here for a while but stopped.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

*cries into cyberdwarf's bosom*

Th...the pro....ooomise has b-b-been made..?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hiratio posted:

This sucks. I talked poo poo but I didn’t think the game was actually dead.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Charles posted:

he's the pr guy

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm assuming the person who is "running" ToG now has bailed too?

Sad to hear that's how it went, but not surprising. The worst thing to happen to many indie projects is Kickstarter success. You very quickly learn that some creators are not meant to be managers, and might also be giant piles of poo poo. And if you don't deliver, the best thing to do is dissappear and ever make anything creative again, ever.

Also gently caress making people work for free on a game.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So slaves are good enough to make my shoes but not my video games?!

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Very sad to hear this. What was Frankie doing them up until a few months ago? He must have just been helping out, what a great guy :) I wonder how far done the game was?

Also I volunteer to help the game in any small way, if you’re reading this Goratus or whomever the hell has control of game files.

TOGether we can finish the game (with our unpaid labor)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

where did the money go then, if everyone worked for free?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I knew this was true in my heart. Oh well. Thanks for communicating though.

This is the real question.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Thanks for your work on the Barkley's, and for bringing some much-needed closure.

The Something Awful Barkley 2 thread: The world's #1 source for Barkley 2 news

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Well it's sad news, but it is better than no news.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pillowcases

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The unpaid dudes joined 3 years after the KS which is easily enough time to burn through 100k with more than 2 devs

At least that's how I read it

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Hiratio posted:

[...] There is no incentive for "ToG" or anyone attached to the KS to talk about this debacle.

Ok guys' we're back in business. This is obviously the guy who paid for the Kickstarter tier where the ToGsters would let you pose as a dev and give fictional status updates on the game to the media.

Hiratio
Sep 19, 2006
i will not allow
The development of Barkley 2 is extremely complicated and unnecessarily dramatic. So it's very difficult to explain things without walls of text. I'll do my best to keep things short and sweet.

quote:

People were paid, the point that I was trying to make in the original post is that the majority of work on this project was done for "percentage" / good faith. This could have been done without a KS. I didn't have direct access to financial info, but from what I gathered in my time on the project, about 2/3rds of the money went towards wages and the other 1/3rd went to other expenses (conventions, etc.)

quote:

Gortarius is Lazrool. He was too crestfallen / embarassed to post.

quote:

So what's the deal with frankie continuing to work on graphics for so long? Was he paid up front?

quote:

Very sad to hear this. What was Frankie doing them up until a few months ago? He must have just been helping out, what a great guy :) I wonder how far done the game was?
Frankie did get paid, of all people who worked on the game he contributed the most work and was also paid the most. However, as Hentai Jihadist mentions, the money eventually dries up when split between so many people and over many years.

I can't speak for Frankie, but when I quit is around the same time Frankie stopped his work. In my mind, Frankie did more than what was expected of him and he did not need to do as much as he did. However, it seems that Frankie was told otherwise by ToG management.

quote:

I'm assuming the person who is "running" ToG now has bailed too?
Nope. Despite him admitting to me directly the game will die without me working on it, when I finally got tired and said I'll quit unless changes happen, he accepted my resignation and as far as I know is trying to keep the project alive by finding new "hires".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

should have tried to pitch it to devolver or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Tales of... Lie's & Deceit??