Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I played barkely for the first time after reading this thread and greatly enjoyed it. its short and very funny. some jokes havent aged that well but "Jordan, you motherfucking baka, you sick motherfucking goddamn BAKA!" will never not be funny as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the things that felt most out of place/dated where the money being called neo-shekels for obvious reasons, and the pump screeds because ppl dont really post in that super earnest dweeby way anymore

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

neo-nazis call all money 'shekels' as a reference to the idea that the jews control all money in the world

obviously the devs of barkley aren't neo nazis but it plays into an anti semitic trope in a way that isnt really funny, just stupid

cant really blame the devs for not predicting the rise of fascism in america in 2008

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

the basketball poo poo always made me laugh. balthios being lebron's great grandson, vince carter being resurrected as a cyborg after the bball purge, going to dikembe mutumbo's massive tomb and having to fight his ghost, visiting the spaulding factory.

lebrons octoroon great grandson. also him being a gigantic dweeb who loves poetry and katanas and wears a long leather jacket

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

I mean its not even that its problematic i just dont think calling money neoshekels is a kneeslapper

Its okay for barkley to just be a sometimes funny joke game made a decade ago, it doesnt have to be the height of comedy where every single line is gold

it would have been funnier if they stuck to the joke of calling money different things like in the tutorial where its gald and zenny

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Deadguy2322 posted:

How the gently caress did the forums of Something Awful, of all places, get overrun with this kind of Lilly-livered “progressive” type? Everything is so “problematic”! Jesus loving Christ, can’t anyone just take a loving joke anymore?

what slurs do you want to use my friend

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

a burger king chicken fry being the most powerful healing item is great too. (and the greasy dew left behind being the second most powerful.)

i thought the dew thing was a reference to like yggdrasil leaves and dew. its probably both

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it really is bizarre that the guy comes up with this tactics thing and doesn't think hmmm let's make this the rpg's combat.

probably because they wanted the game to be based around quests and exploration and that doesnt really jive with tactical gameplay.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Just finished Avernum 2 and that's tactical enough while having quests and dialogue.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that's... not really the case. Original Sin etc

those are good counterexamples but also those games are more in the D&D mold, doesnt seem like the style that this game was trying to ape

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

now im imagining a Barkley Baldurs Gate type game and feeling sad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Barkdur's Gate would own

ilmucche posted:

Baller's gate

Barkleys Gate 2: Throne of Bball

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

spend less on combat???

someone who is good at the developing please help me budget my time. my game is dying

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

going super smoothly so far

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

game looks really good shame about the unsalvageable spaghetti code

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im no coder but it sounds to me like having to play a sound to even know if the debug mode works is like, really bad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Barackley Odunker

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Too many writers, Xjam's personality being too passive, bitterness seeping in and Hundley's very different and much darker writing style all make sense to me as reasons for the tone not being very fun or funny. Then you add in the fact that the art is no longer stupid looking stolen assets and there are no constant references to stupid real world poo poo like dunkaroos and space jam, and it all compounds on itself in a very unpleasant way.

If you talk to Wilmer about the Duergars after you save him from eviction (so basically something only I bothered doing), he brings up that one theory about the Duergars being huge assholes is that they're under an "ancient genie hex".

the duergars where already assholes in barkely 1, its just that they were oppressed assholes. if anything siding against the genies and destroying the careful ecological balance that kept the duergars in check should be the canon outcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shanty posted:

I think it works on Necron 7, because the "penalty" is a scene of Wilmer getting kicked out on his rear end, which is its own kind of reward. Instead of "mission failed, retry?" you get a little world building event, which, while it is scripted, is all the more grounded because it's something you could have prevented. Can't save everyone on Necron 7. It's a really refreshing approach to vidcon design, and exactly the sort of thing you'd hope would come out of a kickstarter.

except it was an unworkable mess that helped kill the game so maybe dont do it