Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Threw in ten bucks. Tell your grandmas there's a new Barkley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I'm gonna voice an unpopular opinion and say a 360 port to XBLA could be extremely lucrative. Just have it come out a little bit later than the pc and the ballin Metacritic score will ensure Microsoft will actually promote it. The potential audience there is much larger.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

If you're on linux it means you're at work and thus have a job. It's that simple.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would imagine that it would easily make it through Greenlight.

Valve has put Barkley references into at least one of their games so there might already be some people there interested in getting it on Steam.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

This was posted on the kickstarter a few days ago. Can anyone translate?

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Great story about diapers and bowel failure on the Tales of Games stream right now.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Found a scan somewhere http://imgur.com/a/e1uOA

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Node posted:

I just got the email asking for a pic for the in game portrait. Since I'm not funny or original, anyone have any ideas of facial expressions or what I should put on my ugly face? Thanks.

Euphoric.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Chef Boyardee posted:

You probably emailed while our producer, the dude who handles all this stuff, was away. Sorry about this, I'll let him know. What was your email address?

Also, just wanted to say that the last few months have been very good, probably our best, and as the game comes together it's become more apparent how different this game is from everything else. There really is no nearest neighbor. I feel like we're onto something really good and I just wanted to express how happy I am with what we have so far. I think people will be surprised by how ambitious this is and I really do hope they appreciate how new some of the things in it are.

This is pretty heartening. I didn't sign up for monthly status updates or whatever it was so it feels like this game is being made in some locked underground bunker.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

http://www.twitch.tv/togstudios

Barkley 2 gameplay!

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

is tales of game's just an elaborate MDE bit because I cant tell what is real or not anymore

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

i want to shoot slimes and read jokes

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Truecon420 posted:

Is Frankie still working on the game? Has anyone asked him if it's still goin?

he was working on it yesterday

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

i have a feeling it isnt happening on november 11th 2023 either

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

the game will never live up to those non-functional mockups that were fabricated by frankie

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

barkley 2 before or after squadron 42

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

cant wait for TGS 2014!!

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Nosfereefer posted:

tog has released a bunch of gameplay videos and tons of gun sprites, and frankly im embarrased for those whos stil ltrying to troll this thread w/ "lol its never coming out"

looking forward to barkley2.zip the hottest collection of pngs for use in sprite comics

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

ok but BBall Tactics is coming out tho right????

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Excels posted:

How much is even known about Cboyardee, beyond those Dilbert cartoons he made?

* Weighed 750 pounds
* Parents were both Charles Manson (long story)
* Wore a bath robe to school every day
* Had the word "homo" instead of a mouth

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

ill start the patreon

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

lordosis_gamer posted:

Hi everyone, this is bort. You may know me as bhroom’s brother, but down in the dank ToG Basement I had another nickname: “The Comedy Cicada” because I’m extremely funny, but only once every 17 years. I am due up in 2040.

WARNING!!! NO JOKES TO FOLLOW!!!

This has been a strange thread to follow, it's been veering between extremely heartwarming and kind of bitter and vindictive from places I hoped it wouldn’t.

A lot of people have been explaining the game’s downfall and so I will just skip to my part: I am a slow and unexceptional writer, a quintessential idea man, and got involved in the project almost despite fear and insecurity, and once I was fully invested and my ego was at stake I only had my more or less-good ideas to insist upon in order to save face. That’s me. The complimentary take is “the Mark Frost of Tales of Game’s” which is both not a compliment and sadly, aspirational.

As has been stated, I have been largely off this game for awhile due to life stuff. Weirdly, after reading this thread, jumping ship somehow only reduces your culpability! See someone’s post about being “caught holding the bag” a few pages back, which I think is mostly true. I am somehow spotless in this, which is demented, because my absolutely mediocre work and interpersonal skills are instrumental in this game’s failure, but most of all I STOPPED WORKING just like everyone else has on this project with the exception of laz until very recently, bhroom, and of course Frankie.

For everyone else, involvement has been sporadic, mostly fair-weather, or terminated early, and that has been the case for about a dozen of us since the beginning of the project. I really enjoyed reading this thread last night, but seeing that really vibe-killing last post by GZ got me writing a good bit of this post, which I was then was gonna just file away in the end. Then I saw this gelatinous cube stuff which is opportunistic and meanspirited now, and what the hell, why not make my stupid contribution:

----

Re: the stupid cube, it’s some real forest for trees stuff. Here we have a prototypical version of something (a zauber) that utilizes a host of representative functions (altering PC’s stats and collisions, casting animations, global speed changes during spell chargeup, object spawning that interacted with bullets, etc.) and instead of it being taken as an instrumental task to complete (for money), it’s an opportunity to engage in endless arguments with the game’s supposed designers about what “good design” (blech) is, what it should be instead, on and on and on.

“there was no design lead,” “there’s too many cooks in the kitchen,” “bhroom talks too much and he doesn’t listen to other opinions.” You start to wonder why.

I would rather not get into this entire subject, so I’ll suggest we cool it with the anecdotes. There are a thousand unfinished things in the game, from people who were getting paid and people who were not. This thread is enjoyable and I think for everyone’s sake, it should not be hashed out. There’s postmortems and then there’s finger pointing. I already told you what my problems were, let’s not hear anybody else’s, thanks!

----

Expected Bhroom defense:

Well, not really. I have criticisms of everyone’s contribution to this game (well, not Frankie ofc) and my brother has infuriated me, over and over. He says as much in tweets and kickstarter updates, I’ll echo it, ok cool.
I spoke with bhroom and GZ at length in January of this year, as something of a mediator between him and my brother. My synopsis:

• GZ, as someone who has been half in and half out on this project since the beginning, was willing to go all in. [cool]
• Bhroom agrees this is good, GZ is the best chance of finishing the game. [agree here too]
• GZ thought that there was no more need for conversation or additional design. [pretty much]
• Bhroom agrees, and says there is no need for conversation or additional design or re-design or changes or reinventing the wheel because these same topics have been talked and documented to death and it just requires someone to have commitment in some direction, and he would like to have input before nearly-functioning parts of the game are scrapped for new ones, which would jeopardize the “GZ is the best chance of finishing the game” part. [ymmv]
• GZ says he’s an idiot and a clown and a liar and a … etc. … and he cannot bear to have a conversation with him again, he essentially needs to gently caress off and die in order for GZ to begin work [dude]

There was a lot of stuff involving contracts and promised points and money and I tried my hardest to get GZ to dial down from total vitriol and for my brother to be as compromising as he could be. Both of these were absolutely necessary for the salvaging of the project, aaaaannnnnnnnd that is why we are here today. They can dispute the accuracy of the above, but that was the gist as I understood it. From my mouth, that is my fair assessment of their relative positions and grievances.

I thought cooler heads would prevail. I floated the truly sane idea of consulting everyone on the project again, finding my long lost Boyardee, who knows… maybe there could be a ToG Renaissance???

That was January 2, and now on June 3, it’s a trip to see literally the exact same words, verbatim and undiluted, coming from GZ as if 6 months haven’t passed, like he blinked and here he is today just as angry. And I understand the motivation if it’s so the backers can hear the truth, etc. Like everyone else, my conscience was too guilty and there were too many other people involved for me to “spill the beans” about the state of the project, as obvious as it may have been already. I suck, ok! Props to GZ at least putting us out of our misery, I thought.

After the initial lament, this thread actually got pretty fun, people enjoyed the dumb stories, ancient ghosts of forums past chimed in, great! Last night, I found out after a 3 year estrangement that my literally oldest friend in the world doesn’t hate me (hi cboy). Then I check this thread again and we’re back to revengeance or whatever.

What’s crazy I distinctly recall GZ pulling cboy and I aside a couple years back and in an absolutely wrenching conversation ensuring us that his and my lack of focused output was the thing keeping this game from coming out, this massive writing hole. That it was a miracle, “just incredible bhroom has kept things together this long, any other project would be dead.” This was like year 3 when we were already deep in trouble. I didn’t think that was the correct take then. GZ certainly doesn’t think that now, because bhroom is actually a svengali who manipulated him for 7 years, ok sure, but he was positive at the time. Before that, the problem was the programming, and the dozen broken, unfinished systems, or the low hanging fruit, the absurd scope, limited money, and dubiously (maybe strangely) talented team. GZ has had severe complaints about most every aspect of this game and who has worked on this game, about how the code is madness, or someone’s workflow is madness, and I have heard every one of them. (We are friends, of course I have heard it).

I guess he has been deprogrammed from the bhroom cult and is viewing the last 7 years he partially attended (GZ refused offers to join the B2 team until well over a year into the project, and presence was intermittent (a month or two on, several more off) but regular since) but the current interpretation is insultingly simplistic, even from his perspective.

Nobody in their postmortems is mentioning 15 minute compile times we were plagued with for half of production, or busted z-height or delta time or lack of a finished boss or any single one of the systems not being ever finished by a revolving door of people who were at least paid more than zero dollars to finish them. I outlined my failures above. How can a single person be responsible when I know for a fact that I am instrumental in the game’s failure???? (Don’t take that from me, please)

GZ, I understand you are upset and understandably so. I think your current perception is inaccurate. If you seriously want to the game to thrive, please just go ahead and start working. “I quit; the game is dead; I’m the game’s only hope; I need to tell everyone how someone else ruined the game” is a strange position for the game. You have the repo. Start working. Don’t talk to bhroom. Steal it for all I care. You will never hear me say he did a great job managing this game. But please loving chill out, unhook yourself from this same ugly conversation and distorted thinking about “secret back channels” and manipulation you’ve been having since January, and let the subject die, thanks.

I’m sure you’ll say “I don’t have anything against you…” but by insisting on undermining the public’s miraculously fond memories of this catastrophe, yes, you are against me. I love your work on this game, I love you like I do all ToGsters, and despite your insistence there’s still some slim possibility we are all pals again, so please stop posting in this thread. (Here is where I get to use that “you were at my wedding GZ” non-meme that actually just makes you feel like dogshit)

----

It takes me loving hours to write things like this because I gave up the ways of the poster. I’m not gonna refresh, but the last thing was about Zaubers Draining Stats which is of course was the great Vance X Kawazu 2012 Collab other people slept on

If this topic is still Good Vibes Only in a few pages I’ll post one hundred of my notebook scans of notes and graphs and things that were never meant to be, really blow ya drat minds aka look like a tremendous amateur idiot, it will be fun

ok the thread sucks now. post the assets or get this pity contest offa here

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

the promus has been made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CBwIXnbUuY

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

rip

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

ajkalan posted:

"that image" is a good username

hi hungry im dad

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

Keiji Inafune presents: Barkley number 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

today i learned barkley shut up and jam gaiden isnt even the weirdest videogame ostensibly about basketball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT0W-c3dZTM