Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

You forgot the most important question.

Will this game have an Al Bhed version? :colbert:

I will donate one million billion dollars if I can play the game the way it was meant to be played, in Victorian Al Bhed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mozi posted:

It will be a bummer that the famous B-Ballers of today won't be making reappearances. Also a lot of the charm in the first game was in the combat system where you could really get down to some B-Balling action, I'm not sure the gun's will give the same feeling. I'm sure it will still be a great game though.

I've already donated to this and am totally psyched, but one of my favorite parts of the first game was graphical and musical assets being a completely random mishmash. v:shobon:v

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Hey guys, im one of the artists on this. Character sprites and animated bits mostly.

Cant believe how quickly we reached the goal, gat drat. This is nuts. Thank you so much everyone!!

I was pretty hard on the last few games you worked on that you posted about here (Not that you'd likely remember :v:) but I've got to say, the art is always wonderful. :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and mindlessly speculate X114JAM9 is Hoopz fused with Cyberdwarf somehow.

I expect the real answer to be much less coherent.

He's Barkley reincarnated as himself.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
According to someone from the AGDQ run, X114JAM9 was the error Vinceborg had that meant he lost his memory. Those ToG geniu's :aaa:

Chef Boyardee posted:

Anyway, we're going to be at the Awesome Games Done Quick thing tonight when they're doing Barkley. We live like 10 miles from where it is and they asked us to show up, so we'll be there. Super hyped. It'll be at like 5:00 AM EST, so I seriously doubt too many people will be able to watch, but tune in if you're up. No idea what we're going to do, just sit on that couch behind the guy playing the game I guess?

Huh, I thought you were Canadian.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 8, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Should I get this game

also is this going to be the last installment in the series?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tracula posted:

Skip all them and go right ahead to Barkley part 6, then fill in the gaps after it's successful.

1 + 2 = 3, 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 man, it's basic math.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Station 37 is the 37th game in the 'Barkley' series.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was awesome when the Titan Souls guy printed out TB's trweet about his game.

What happened with the Titan Souls guy and TB?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

http://kotaku.com/popular-youtuber-says-he-wont-cover-game-after-twitter-1698242976

Forgive me my sin of linking Kotaku.

The guy making fun of TB is what got me to finally buy the game.

I'd been on the fence of it but after watching Yahtzee's playthrough of it and now hearing about that I just bought it. :toot:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yes there will be cement at e3

I can't wait for the 5102 release of Barkley 2.

Maybe bundle it with a station 37 and mountain of debt re-release??? :aaa:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Khorne posted:

The difference is kaceytron's stream is hilarious if you have the tab minimized and just the audio on and most streamers who just try to attract views with their appearance are boring as poo poo. She's also intentionally bad at games quite often, and she brings in fresh content pretty much weekly. Including video content like "Green Grove Dairy Farms" her current sponsor and a bunch of other video stuff not involving her appearance.

The people who don't get the joke are funny, and the people who think they are clever for getting it are funnier. It's by far one of the most consistent, entertaining streams on twitch. And as time goes on she only gets better at keeping things fresh and introducing new, quality content regularly.
Was there a chance this game would be released last year?

What is the joke? She's parodying camgirls by... being.. one?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What's the joke? Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden is parodying JRPG's by... being... one?

woooooosh.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
when's action 52 owns coming out anyways

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I haven't followed this thread in like 10 years, did the devs just run off with the money or did they ever explain how the game fell into development hell

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

loving finally

e: is this fake?

Taimanin Asagi HD is incredibly real, my dude.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think the moral of the story is that they should have stolen their assets again.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Credit where it's due for owning up to it, if nothing else.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Joke's aside, I get why ToG would want to try bigger and better things, but was the bigger issue not knowing what you wanted to do with the game, or that what people wanted to do with the game was too much?

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Yeah basically. We wanted the material mixes to always give the same results, so you could remember that a rotten gun + a junk gun = a soiled gun or something, and that was the only part players were intended to realize individually. The actual underlying logic was just meant to be a bizarre secret, the kind a community might realize later down the line. So for a typical player, the materials are just a seemingly arbitrary, but repeatable, result. So if you end up on a really good gun material, you remember the gun's parents and can know what materials to combine to get this material again on another gun, which works as expected.

The more important logic for players to be reasonably expected to figure out the mechanics of was the gun geolocation, stat growth and affix genetics, which are all more self-explanatory. A machinegun parent tends to make a child with higher rate of fire than a shotgun, etc. The specifics of genetics are convoluted, but the result are kind of roughly predictable, with child guns inheriting traits from their parent guns; again the details are less important than the actual results making some kind of sense.

Dude I just want to say all the art of yours I've seen from the few previews was absolutely excellent and the fact it won't see the light of day is the biggest shame of all.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i guess on the bright side barkley 2 isn't the worst about this (that'd be omori).

Omori was 2014, wasn't that longer ago?

i still believe

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah but due to Barkley 2 being an actual commercial product all of the actual NBA and Space Jam references had to be cut so none of that would have been in the game anyways. Which is another reason the kickstarter was a bad idea.

honestly the whole reason I didn't kickstart it was because I didn't think it could be as funny as the first game without all the dumb injokes and memes.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah if i had a successful kickstarter i'd be making the game in my free time to make sure it got released if i ran out of money. are there kickstarters that have done that after the funds dried up?

omori got even more money than tog and hasn't he been silent for years.

IIRC Omocat finished her part, which was the art, and the debacle that is development is entirely on the guys who wanted to make a game out of it. Omocat's busy with her fashion line (which is generally pretty good!) but I assume she just doesn't say much because... She doesn't have anything to say.

Endorph posted:

they probably would have had to cut stuff like the save points that quote random forums posts too

Weren't they written for the game and the one that was a forum post got removed? Or was I bamboozled

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 3, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I also thought this was just B akely humour but now i'm second guessing again..........

He wrote the receptionist right

I could totally see that

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Yinlock posted:

the "ideas man" fallacy

There's a panel from some manga where a character says "I wanted to make a manga or novel, but I can't draw or write, so I decided to make video games instead" or something to that effect. :v:

cboy posted:

Hey guys, this is Chef Boyardee, one of the writers and musicians for the game,

I have gotten joy out of listening to Islam is the Party Religion while doing other things. :tipshat:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to say how it occurred to me that in your postmortems ya'll aren't even bothering to obfuscate that X114JAM9 is Hoopz anymore.

It's been years, but I finally uncovered the mystery...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Another was an early prototype of Non-Human, a really fun shooter I made for a tigsource game jam around remaking various games from Action52. I was working on that game pretty hard, but "temporarily" put it on hold when Barkley2 went in full swing, thinking Id be back at it as soon as Barkley2 is done... welp

I remember being curious as heck about that when I saw it on youtube years ago.

NickPancakes posted:

Laz and GZ also have their Phucker series. https://gzstorm.itch.io/phucker-in-the-woods-0

Holy poo poo I saw that on steam and had zero idea what to make of it

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 5, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lmao you badly mismanaged a game and now you want to badly mismanage its thread

I think you're confusing him with his brother.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

fine, lordosis_gamer badly bungled the writing for a game and now he's shat a lot of words on its thread

Also the 15 minute compile times were how we learned about dark drakerz

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Midjack posted:

If anyone has anecdotes about the vaguely phallic red pepper enemies I’m all ears here.

'peno stags.

Rhopunzel posted:

These are the worst kinds of people to work for in gamedev. There is nothing more infuriating being told how to do your job and how long something should take by someone who doesn't write a line of code or place a single pixel. gently caress them. Having ideas isn't a job. Telling people what to do isn't a job.

I dunno, seems like they could have used a manager of some kind!

Krakox posted:

Hell that one dudes been making a game where you can see princess peache's titties since 2013 just dump the assetts

link

Alan Smithee posted:

at least we'll always have Shaq Fu 2

Barkley 2 is still better than shaq fu 2. In it's current state.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Calling it. The guy who took complete control of the intellectual property then used that control to browbeat everyone off of the project one by one is now worried that aforementioned control means he is solely responsible for violating Kickstarter's Terms and failing to deliver. That's why he and his brother are both concerned with speaking in the present/future tense of a game that everyone quit working on.

I'm curious how long they would have let the radio silence go on if this story didn't explode beyond this thread. I mean if you never announce the game is dead then you are never liable for failing to deliver.

I mean, they're not accountable for anything, so why does it matter?

Hiratio and co I'm curious what made you decide now of all times was the time to talk about this. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 5, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
As an aside, I think the development of Into The Breach has some really interesting parallels with this game.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/25/into-the-breach-creators-almost-gave-up/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/05/into-the-breach-interface-design/

Crowdfunding doesn't remove the need for management, producers, editors, or anything like that. They're not just there to provide money and be evil, cutting down on creator's visions. There HAS to be someone who is capable of getting things done. :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 5, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Jesus loving christ. Why can't he just let it die?

I genuinely am awestruck that there are people in this thread still talking like a version of this game coming out is still a real possibility.

Truecon420 posted:

I hear you, and this may be a useless question, but if a bunch of fans mobilized to convince him to step down and give up the rights back to original creators, would it be worth considering coming back

holy poo poo, dude.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 7, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Well the demo is likely to come out and most of the devs want to finish it (but don't think that's possible because of Liam)

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Gortarius posted:

I don't want to see this piece of poo poo game ever again in my life.

Hiratio posted:

The game has perpetually been 2 years away from completion for as long as I can remember, and there has been no will to fix this.

Bisse posted:

It was such a relief to get closure and just close the door on Barkley 2, but now this lunatic seems to be trying to force the loving door open again.

And so on.

I can't speak for any of the devs, but if I were them I'd be slack jawed with disbelief at the number of people who have read posts like this and thought "The promise has been made..."

It must be discouraging to come back and see that this ball and chain will apparently follow them to the grave.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

wow

what's the definitive LP video to watch

ss lp, but nn ashe's in the lp archive is good.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

FFX was considered garbage at the time but JRPGs are in general extremely bad so it is seen one of the best modern examples of the genre now looking back since every FF since then has been worse.

I guess people are supposed to play JRPGs for the story but they have pretty much the worst stories and writing in games.
I missed out on the supposedly golden snes era but looking back on the ones I've played since the only two I can think of with a genuinely interesting story and characters is Nier 1 and Barkley

everyone in this thread who thinks "all jrpgs are bad" needs to go place LISA, right now.

CYBEReris posted:

when revisiting the game the neo-shekels, the ironically racist asian shopkeeper, and the sewer furries being, intentionally or not, very trans-coded and hopping the line between mocking and sympathetic depending on what's funny at the time all made me varying degrees of uncomfortable

I probably find the sewer furries funnier now, really.

cock hero flux posted:

hoopz getting shot with type 2 diabetes is literally the funniest thing that happens in the entire game, though

The kind they were never able to cure...

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 9, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Lisa isn't an easy recommend, but it is really good. It loves tonal whiplash and its got some pretty horrible subject matter, its not for everybody. Combat and exploration aspects are really well executed, and the game is filled with things catching you off-guard, like a few really solid horror bits.

Yeah, LISA really isn't for everyone, but it's also the absolute funniest game I have ever played.

I wish there was a good video of the flashback to Rick's house, because that was absolutely amazing.

DrManiac posted:

Funnily enough you probably feel that way about the dlc because it was a kickstarter stretch goal.

Ding straight up said in a stream he didn't want to make it but he had to because it was a stretch goal and he highly, highly regretted making it so (since he made it a stretch goal much earlier in the development process with a much different version of the story).

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 9, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gortarius posted:

What does ss stand for here?

screenshot, I was on my phone and too lazy to type it.

https://lparchive.org/Barkleys-Shut-Up-And-Jam-Gaiden/

here it is.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Barkley's a better jrpg than anything with "star" "dragon" or "wild" in the title.

WildStar?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Out of curiosity, what has your friend worked on and any chance he'd talk to a random goon a bit about working on a turn based strategy game in game maker? :v:

I've started doing some work on one but I've been wondering if I'd be better off just switching to unity.

Uncle Wemus posted:

goddamnit someone finish this game

Even if Barkley 2 is very, definitely never going to be a thing, it'd be cool if that came out and would give a sort of ending to this story.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

I know I posted it earlier but the guy who made LISA being an actual IRL martial arts weapons wrestleboy explains so much about that game and makes its existence that much cooler. It really is like basically outsider art therapy and even if the DLC retroactively killed a lot of the cool mystique and subtext the game as itself is a masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSud7WAVhcw

Like he made the entire soundtrack on the demo version of Fruity Loops and anyone with an understanding of that software will immediately rcognize all the default/stock stuff he uses and how loving weird he gets with it, it's just on an entirely other level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

I think my favorite description of Ding is "he looks like the rival from a martial arts movie." :allears:

Also that his career trajectory was I want to make video games like double dragon! > Oh I can't I'll just be a martial artist like the guys from double dragon > Oh I can make games! :v:

baka sounds like backer (as in kickstarter backer)

Makes ya think, don't it

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 12, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I like the drama between the two fake accounts :(

It's funny to me because it basically looks like two people roleplaying as people connected to but not even part of the dev team for a game that was never finished.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was going through a box of old stuff I was getting rid of and found a Duck Tales comic, where the premise was Scrooge McDuck was racing to find what he wanted the most:

legendary incan gold

holy poo poo if that was the reference meant

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

thanks for the replies, downloading unity and godot

its a shame cause id like to try GS2 but despite their blurb saying there are "no barriers to entry" it costs a minimum of £80

my ultimate goal is to create a british version of liberal crime squad (gently caress you ubisoft) then get arrested by the police
but first ima just try to make an insanely basic turn based combat system and maybe a map to walk around on

Speaking as someone who has 0 programming ability and has slowly been learning to use unity to make a turn based combat system: Unity is a pain. :argh:

Probably better overall when you can use it properly, though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Had Barkley2 gone for the jrpg sort of battling like B1 did, it would've been done years ago. This is my theory, I hope you liked it.

Did you guys check out Nuclear Throne/Gungeon and consider simplifying combat to be more like those or were things like zaubers a must have?