Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've been lurking this thread for a week now and I wanna say that second tag is the better of the two- if you wanted my random dumbass opinion :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Congrats and Dwarfnet Frankie!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to play more as I really didn't get too far outside the starting area before needing to stop but man... I dunno, I think the game is missing a lot of charm and it's a huge bummer. Nothing has really made me laugh or smirk and as weird as it might sound I think Frankie did too good of a job making the graphics not total poo poo like the first game.

I get it, this was going to be a real rear end game so a LOT of poo poo wouldn't fly that was in the first Borkle, but it seems like the absurdist humor is just kind of nowhere to be seen. Hoopz sprite going from some generic game maker sprite to a total trainwreck to show him dribbling, goofy poo poo where enemies are super poorly edited sprites from other games and garbage rear end portraits abound- it seemed like there were gags a minute.
Seeing the characters react to clownshoes comical things with a deathly serious tone was my favorite thing and right now I'm just wandering this really nice (as in artistic) city where nothing is really grabbing me to continue. Like if this was it's own thing I'm not sure how interested I'd be in giving it more wiggle room.

I know it's stupid to comment on a game when I'm only like, a half hour-45 minutes in but it's just makin me kinda down :sigh:. Hoping that picks up when I have more time to actually get into it though.

That said a general question for the team that posts here, but if you truly think the game is dead and there's literally no way, no miracle of it ever coming back- would it be possible to talk about the plot you guys had planned? We'll never get to see the ending but I'm curious as to what it would of been in another timeline.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the problem is that it's hard not to go into it with Bakely 1 on my mind with everything that entails.
It's kind of hard for me, personally, to not expect insanely stupid things to show up every other screen or have a joke packed into every other line. Talking with this astronaut dude who told me a long story about how his world was destroyed and he's now alone I'm just waiting for the punchline- but it just never came.

It's not that the story told was bad or that there has to be a joke, but this is Barkley 2! There's no way there's not going to be some goofass quip at the end of it! And the few people I talked to in game it just felt like that was repeating.
I wanna get further into it but I just wasn't sure what I was getting into.

This ultimately is a personal thing for me, forum user ThisIsACoolGuy. I appreciate the effort that went into this thing as I can tell there is a lot of it. I'm just not getting what I expected out of a understandably very limited playtime. It's on me entirely.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The astronaut can keep his story, just imagine that the Chaos Dunk radiation leaked out into space when Barkley killed Shadow Barkley turning a giant asteroid into a killer basketball. Have the astronaut use random terms like how it was a free-throw from his special hell that robbed him of everything. Hoopz just "dang... a entire world dunked in a instant.... I'm so sorry"

Someone better at writing could probably punch it up in a similar manner but it keeps his hosed up sad story while also painting it as a comical thing for outsiders because a giant basketball just bounced off a planet blowing it up. That's kind of what I was expecting :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When does the youtube documentary on this thread release

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got put on the team and I used my time to get a draft of the ending. I'm going to spoil it for you. Actual real rear end spoilers follow

Cyber Dwarf's head lies near death on the floor near Hoopz while Cuchulainn laughs about how everything has been futile and Hoopz was better off staying in the jail city not knowing of his past. Cyber Dwarf laughs to this and tells Hoopz that it's not pointless. He should never give up... and that he has a special message from his father.
His cyber eye lights up and a shadow hologram of a familiar man is displayed. It's Barkley. He gives a inspiring speech to Hoopz telling him that he needs to revive the soul of B-Ball if he's going to ever find his inner strength. Before the message can finish though Cuchulainn crushes his head under foot killing Cyber Dwarf.
Something snaps in the once innocent Hoopz as he watches his friend die. The last of his memories come flooding back into him as he remembers the joy of dribbling. Filled with a newfound fury he grips his B-Ball tightly.
"That finally shut him up. He was seriously getting on my nerves" sneers the powerful Cuchulainn before he notices the b-ball glowing in Hoopz hand.

"What's that? You think a B-ball can stop me?" He asks as a pure blue energy swirls around it causing the b-ball to spin violently, Hoopz tears streaming down his cheeks. "I know it will. I'm going to end this right now." He spits as he propels himself forward, jamming the spinning blue b-ball into Cuchulainn's chest causing the villain to cough blood directly into Hoopz face. "W-what is this? This power?!" He screams.
"It's my special technique you baka, it's the Rasengan!" Cuchulainn's face twists into rage as his body begins to crumble. "This can't be happening! Me, defeated? Impossible!"

Hoopz smirks. "Believe it!"

Cuchulainn is then blown to bits.

There, now we can never wonder about the game again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They're both good, it's just a shame Gungeon is better.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

spit on my clit posted:

enter the gungeon has a lot of content, the real problem is that the nuclear throne characters aren't also in gungeon

YV is

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok. I have followed this thread intermittently and I am slightly confused by what has happened the last 3 months.
So...
Tales of Game's collapsed before getting the game into a workable state after 6 years.
Amidst the apologies one of the developers decided that the game was getting made if he had to drag himself through broken glass to do it.
Demo happened.
Progress is slow but existing?

This is the best I could pull together.

ToG is dead
One idiot is trying to tell people it's not dead despite being just a ideas guy or something. He keeps trying to trick people into working on it for free so that's going well
Frankie didn't want to let people down that were waiting so he fixed the demo into a playable state to show that there was *some* effort put in, bless
No Progress is being made. It's dead.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Barkley

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

goodnight sweat prints

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like jello tonight. What flavor cube should I get

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

bimlky

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhk2gzmU35E

Hi thread, here's the entire storyboard for Bionckley 2 and the lead up to it. Really inspiring

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

remember the jello cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They call me... "the Dark Draker".

Why? Let's just say... my swoop attacks have the force of a drakes
snapping maw. Other names they call me? Heh. Too many to count,
but I vlog about repro katanas under the nom de guerre "Bloodfang X".

Weapon of choice? Dual-weilded wakizashis.
Age? Unknown.
Race? Classified.
Special move? Zeitgeist of Swords - last thing you'll ever see.

If I see you out there in the Necron 7 wilds, I won't hesitate to cut you
down if I even SUSPECT you endanger my person or ideals.