Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

t-.-t posted:

i remember many years ago this game had a booth at PAX and I was able to play the demo, so i ran around in the town cause i wanted to see the writing. anyway the wizard hosting the booth pointed me to a sidequest where i had to fill in a missing word for a couple of NPCs. it was really obvious what the solution was since it was multiple choice with all words being the same except for three out of four of them having typos

anyway i picked the wrong one cause i wanted to see what the dialogue would be and everyone watching the demo just looked at me like i was the stupidest fucker on the planet. that is my Barkley 2 experience, thanks for listening

Thank you for your service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

brapbeat_hardcore posted:

Not for the purposes of reaching out and bort doesn't have private messages on but point taken.

To explain the Sonic Passion thing - there used to be a forum where people (most of whom had selfies for avatars) would talk about Sonic loving them, puking on them and making GBS threads on them as part of their marriage to Sonic The Hedgehog. This made it to the Barkley 1 dev room as an easter egg (the quiz that ended "Sonic only dates white people").

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I think someone said it in this thread but that bit at the climax when you make your choice and the music starts playing was pretty sick

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Urto posted:

I'm the newest B2 dev. Very new, in fact, having only joined last week for sake of the demo. I volunteered because I have the time to, I'm not really doing anything else, and it seems fun to me. Also, bhroom told me I have a "supple" demeanor, which helped earn my way in. For the demo, I didn't have much time to learn the codebase, but managed to fix a few major crashes. I also corrected probably like a few hundred typos and grammatical errors, especially in the prologue.

Like a lot of other people, I don't know what the future holds for B2. But I will say that if we continue, I'll try my best to make sure people here don't remain in the dark to what we're doing or why. Right now, I think there's a lot of wait-and-see in regards to the demo, gathering feedback, seeing if we really want to keep working, that kind of thing.

It's hard to judge from the demo either the scope or completion of Barkley 2. Things that seem incredibly easy to implement are horrifying monstrosities of possible malfunctions (for instance, just try and map out the possible decisions you can make that impact the dialogue of the Lugner/Slag quest). Things that seem nowhere near completion are really just about done, but we didn't "plug them in" for the demo, so to speak. I do legitimately believe quality can be salvaged from this. For what negative feedback and constructive criticism I've seen, it's nothing we didn't recognize already.

But our goal needs to be making a finished game and then polishing it to be what it deserves. Incremental improvements to the isolated parts without a deep, grand understanding of exactly how they fit into the big picture is (in part) why B2 is in a questionable state to begin with. If the journey continues, I won't be abandoning it. I'm riding this rollercoaster straight into the mouth of hell.

Hey how's it going?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I love him.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Bisse posted:

~~The Undying Screaming Baby~~

In 2014 we started working more on gun effects and with not much actual sounds yet we used placeholders for things like impact sounds, gun firing, effects triggering, etc.

A good place holder sound is, perhaps, a short click or beep.

This being ToG, though, someone who shall not be named added as a test sound a 6 second long, grating, ear-ripping sound of a baby screaming at the top of its lungs.

We were just kind of like, ok sure, whatever makes you smile mate, I’ll just turn off my sound then. It was funny for the first month and then someone finally had one too many ear-rippers and wanted to remove it.

At this point the sound was literally everywhere. Enemies, guns, effects, all screamed like starving infants. Combat sounded like a maternity ward. Since it was everywhere, you couldn’t just delete the sound, but you could replace it with something else, so we did. The end.

Or not, because a few days later, the screaming baby was suddenly back in the game full-force. I’m not sure how. Perhaps, merging git branches was really tricky with a GM:S project and it was one of many things that kept surviving merges. Or, someone was resurrecting it as a practical joke. We had to delete it several times.

A bit later I wrapped up a new sound system. When we merged this, the screaming baby came back from the grave, again! Now, random NPCs and objects cried in baby rage, due to some system issue. When looking for the actual sound in the game project, I literally could not find it! Was the project or some sound file corrupted? Was the baby scream hiding in a file named something else!?

Other issues were more important, so this undying specter stuck around, and we kind of just accepted it and removed it as we found it. Eventually we got a convention demo together and by then the sound seemed to be gone for good.

Some time later, most B2 sounds had random pitch changes when played, so effects would sound slightly different every time they were played, making rapid fire guns much more diverse and tolerable considering each bullet played the firing sound once. After a big combat merge, I went in to test and improve chain-gun sounds and put on my headphones with volume cranked way up. I crafted the chain-gun, revved it up, aimed at the test dummy, and unleashed a storm of bullets. But instead of the rapid drumming sound of a chain gun firing, the gates of hell opened upon a diverse choir of hell-spawn toddlers screaming in demonic rage.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Star Guarded posted:

Okay, one last cool thing, from the bball tactics guy (click here for his thoughts on all this).

Here's his development journal for bball tactics. Just to set expectations, this isn't a super professional design document done in powerpoint. It's just his scratch paper while he was working out problems, basically. Like anyone's personal notes, some of it is a bit impenetrable, but some of you might find it pretty cool like I did.

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GxNNYQhMckDvBxIQGQTBhOr_eyUvlhpS/view?usp=sharing

This was cool.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://twitter.com/Cryptoterra/status/1398301734473109509

Its that one guy from phucker in the woods

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Fuschia tude posted:

That's a whole lot of "I". Apparently PJ... unilaterally decided to release the source code?

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Emril showed him the game.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Future Days posted:

its fallen togster li-m/bhr*om

why are you censoring his name like it was a bad word?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_2

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ah just missed it. ill have to catch the next one

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970