Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I dunno if its opsec or whatever you folks call it, but what is it about modern airplanes that cause them to basically disintegrate when they crash land. Looks like theres nothing left of that B1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a lot of fuel going very loving fast, of course it loving disintegrates when it hits the ground.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Branis posted:

I dunno if its opsec or whatever you folks call it, but what is it about modern airplanes that cause them to basically disintegrate when they crash land. Looks like theres nothing left of that B1.

Force = mass * acceleration. 300,000ish pounds, mostly consisting of jet fuel and possibly bombs, the rest being lightweight structural components, meeting the ground at several hundred miles per hour... there's not going to be a lot left.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Planes are more or less hollow tubes to begin with so there's not a whole lot there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhfziLDLJ-A

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Aluminum and carbon composites will burn down to nothing even without the heat and force of a plane crash.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

I recognize that channel, isn't that the dude obsessed with the M113s?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Yep.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Branis posted:

It's not exactly limited to modern airplanes, either.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Mortabis posted:

Ahem. I believe you mean "The Gavin". :spergin:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

It's not exactly limited to modern airplanes, either.

Yeah, the more "intact" wrecks are usually from planes that stalled at super low altitude

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

I'm not military or anything but your posts and your original thread are/were pretty rad. Keep in mind more people lurk than post. If you can, post some pics of IDF buttes please because drat.

I kinda missed the SF chat but I can never resist a chance to post this dude, basically because he's the only NZ SF operator I know of by name besides those KIA.

Willie Apiata

Victoria Cross Medal:

Wikipedia posted:

Apiata (then a Lance Corporal) was part of a New Zealand Special Air Service (NZSAS) Troop in Afghanistan in 2004 which was attacked by about 20 enemy fighters while holed-up for the night in a rocky rural area. Enemy rocket propelled grenades destroyed one of the troop's vehicles and immobilised another. This was followed by sustained machine gun and automatic rifle fire from close range.

A grenade explosion blew Apiata off the bonnet of his vehicle, where he had been sleeping. Two other soldiers in or near the vehicle were wounded by shrapnel, one of them seriously (Corporal D). After finding cover, it was seen that Corporal D had life-threatening arterial bleeding and was deteriorating rapidly.

Apiata assumed command of the situation, deciding all three would need to rejoin the troop which was about 70 metres to the rear. Apiata decided his only option was to carry Corporal D to safety, and none of the three were hit during the retreat. After getting Corporal D to shelter, Apiata rejoined the firefight.

He became one of the very few living holders of the Victoria Cross.[12] In part the citation reads:[13]

"In total disregard of his own safety, Lance Corporal Apiata stood up and lifted his comrade bodily. He then carried him across the seventy metres of broken, rocky and fire swept ground, fully exposed in the glare of battle to heavy enemy fire and into the face of returning fire from the main Troop position. That neither he nor his colleague were hit is scarcely possible. Having delivered his wounded companion to relative shelter with the remainder of the patrol, Lance Corporal Apiata re-armed himself and rejoined the fight in counter-attack."

Three other SAS soldiers also received bravery awards for actions during the same mission. Two received the New Zealand Gallantry Decoration and one the New Zealand Gallantry Medal.[14]

More Wiki posted:

In April 2008, Apiata gifted his Victoria Cross of New Zealand medal to the NZSAS Trust, so that "the medal is protected for future generations". The medal remains available to Apiata and his family to wear.[4][17]

Same guy:

OG NZ SF:

e;

Australian SAS is similarly rad, plus they did that whole Al Asad thing.

Click Beelay fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 21, 2013

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

Kiwi Ron Swanson

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For CISI/Gas/Shim's Cold War Playlist. I have a ton more I found, but I don't want to spam the thread. That WDTlive42 on Youtube, along with another guy whose name is escaping me at the moment has some of the best collections of military docs and training footage around.

Nuclear Weapon Accident Exercise : Broken Arrow - 1980 Educational Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7FJwpR-lA

Nuclear Weapon Accident Exercise : NUWAX-81 Defense Nuclear Agency Educational Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LT4HsXzzYI

Nuclear Weapon Accident Exercise : NUWAX-83 Defense Nuclear Agency Educational Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s2FHhgXfcs

iceslice
May 20, 2005
This thread rocks. Please post more SF pictures, especially old ones. They are almost always really cool.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

11b1p posted:

Kiwi Ron Swanson

Was thinking the same thing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm sure you've seen the statue of this guy. Another Son Tay Raider, Arthur "Bull" Simons.

Here he is as a captain in the 6th Ranger Battalion third from the left on the bottom row.

He took part in both the raid on the Cabanatuan POW Camp and Son Tay, pretty crazy.

There was another Cabanatuan raider on the Son Tay Raid, Sergeant Major Galen Kittleson. Can't find any good photos of him but he was an Alamo Scout in World War II, not a Ranger like Colonel Simons.

My uncle was an instructor at the Special Warfare Center when the Son Tay raid took place. He had worked for Bull Simons a few times in the past and says he tried to recruit him for what he later found out was the Son Tay raid but his boss at the Special Warfare Center wouldn't let him. No idea how true that is but he's no bullshit kind of guy and rarely talks about himself.

Robert Howard, was a member of SOG and a Medal of Honor recipient. He's on the left. He was nominated for the Medal of Honor on at least one other occasions, possibly two. Can't remember. When my dad went through Ranger School in I believe 1979 Robert Howard was one of the Ranger instructors.

Here's a couple photo's of SF with some montagnards. Despite being mostly illiterate tribesmen they were some bad mother fuckers.

Only thing that sucks with the older photos is that the resolution isn't all that great or you have to scan them from a book.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 22, 2013

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iyaayas01 posted:

Here ya go

e: And here's a follow up post -

Just wanted to add another awesome follow up picture of Mike Vining.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Goddamn he looks like a creepy uncle. A creepy uncle who could probably kill me with his pinky.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Attempting to take his lunch money would be the last thing you do.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I like to think anytime asked him how he was doing, he would reply in a terrible faux german accent "Vinning!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Cool thanks for the reminder that this fukken dude has probably killed more people than I can count on 10 hands

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
he looks like a creepier version of 90s dahmer to me

i think its just those badass frames though

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
1st special service force:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

wikipedia posted:

It was also at Anzio that the 1st SSF used their trademark stickers; during night patrols soldiers would carry stickers depicting the unit patch and a slogan written in German: "Das dicke Ende kommt noch," said to translate to "The Worst is yet to Come"

Bad rear end.

edit: The V-42 Stiletto was designed by Colonel Frederick the 1st Special Service Force commander. The knife depicted on the US Army Special Forces and Canada's Joint Task Force 2 regimental crests/badges are V-42 Stilettos, both units tracing their lineage to the First Special Service Force.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 22, 2013

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One more of Mike...because its even better.

Mike gets his Bronze Star in 1971.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

gfanikf posted:

One more of Mike...because its even better.

Mike gets his Bronze Star in 1971.

..Wow. He looks like the most punchable kid in Middle School in that picture.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

hailthefish posted:

Only he would rip the arm off of any man attempting to punch him.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Thump! posted:

Goddamn he looks like a creepy uncle. A creepy uncle who could probably kill me with his pinky.

He looks like one of my undergrad history professors right down to the glasses.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

hailthefish posted:

Like the kid from Christmas Story.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I wonder how hard he had to emphasize he was Special Forces in order to get laid.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

I wonder how hard he had to emphasize he was Special Forces in order to get laid.

He possibly just told women he was Rick Moranis and worked that angle.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gfanikf posted:

This guy loving owns.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

holocaust bloopers posted:

This guy loving owns.

He looks like :smug: but with glasses

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:lol: Yeah I don't want to go anywhere near that.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

:stare: context please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

:lol: Yeah I don't want to go anywhere near that.
It's a good day when your CIWS goes "gently caress you dad you can't tell me what to do!"

• Locked thread