Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

gleep gloop posted:

gently caress nerd poo poo you ge'in at mate?

the q-5e/mk2 system the LA had ran on a pair of 8086 watercooled mainframe towers and cses was packed full of old as gently caress solid state poo poo that could have been replaced with a single (at the time) desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's cute.

AWACS runs a 4pi computer (designed in 1963). The reel-to-reel memory was replaced about 15 years ago with a reel-to-reel emulator.

In this image, I've outlined the graphics card.

Edit: All the hardware you can see behind (actually that's toward the front) is computer poo poo. There's more computer poo poo behind the camera. Most/all of it is actually being replaced with a Windows computer in the Block 40/45 aka E-3G upgrade over the next decade or so. I believe the scopes are staying the same, but they really should replace the displays at least. They're peak 1990 DLP technology showing 1975 graphics.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 6, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

There are 4 sets of double displays like this.

When a PSU goes out it smells like some really rotten rear end fish.

Looks like this was taken in a traininer center however. Otherwise there would be a fuckload of watercooling pipes behind instead of a plaster wall.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I couldn't find any decent pictures either. The one I used is a NATO jet...hardware's the same, but weird foreigners. Most of the pictures were either only showing scopes or were in the Japanese 767 or a Wedgetail, both of which are set up differently. There are 14 full scopes. Only the first couple of banks are in the pic above. The guy with the bright yellow wings or whatever is in my seat. :3

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

wait is that poo poo still in use

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

airforce.txt

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Reverand maynard posted:

the awacs poo poo most likely is, as is the sonar poo poo if the boat still has a q-5 system. only the virgina boats might have newer stuff.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

FTFY

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Reverand maynard posted:

Yes. You have no idea how deep that rabbit hole goes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ded posted:

the awacs poo poo most likely is, as is the sonar poo poo if the boat still has a q-5 system. only the virgina boats might have newer stuff.

I don't want to step on the wizard's toes but I'm pretty sure every boat still in the water had more modern stuff put in about a decade ago. Fast boats, at least, but any boomer that's gone through a refuel should have updated equipment, too. If you know the project acronyms the documentation is online (for budget reasons) and it doesn't take much further searching to find which hulls were approved and then find a sufficiently long availability in their history.

For reasons that should be semi-obvious, fast attack boat acquisition & tracking hardware is (by DOD standards) kept pretty leading edge. DOD standards meaning, for instance, that my boat in the mid-90s was one of the first to be all solid-state straight from the builder, forward and aft. But the rooty-tooty point and shooty bits get upgrades more often than the other parts; I would be very unsurprised to find 8088-based circuits elsewhere in active boats. Ded's hull became razor blades ages ago.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 6, 2014

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

xpostin booblord since this is awesome

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The SR-71 is :cumpolice:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

xpostin booblord since this is awesome

You're a good dude, EBB

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Funnily enough Cracked (I know, I know) has an article today featuring outdated technology in the US military.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-modern-countries-with-surprisingly-backward-technology/

4 Modern Countries with Surprisingly Backward Technology posted:

And that's just the beginning: Some parts of the U.S. Navy, for example, still use VAX minicomputers. To get an idea of how obsolete these things are, keep in mind that VAX computers were first picked up by the U.S. military in the 1980s, because unlike similar computers of the time, they didn't require a water cooling system to function.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Well, VAXen are good machines, and they run an OS, VMS, as rock-solid as the hardware. Nothing lasts forever, of course, but they could do worse. You could teach a Unix sysadmin with half a brain to work VMS pretty easily. Hardware spares are another side of the equation - parts will need to be replaced from time to time and that's going to be quite costly.

XP is another thing. Before an operating system for client stations can be approved for a certain classified level it needs to be audited quite thoroughly, and in the case of closed source code like Windows XP, that's done by means of reverse engineering and performing intricate, time-intensive tests on the resulting machine instructions. Exactly what and how is OPSEC but I can assure you it's a fuckload of work.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I forgot about the blackbird. So I like two planes. The avenger and the blackbird.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't want to step on the wizard's toes but I'm pretty sure every boat still in the water had more modern stuff put in about a decade ago. Fast boats, at least, but any boomer that's gone through a refuel should have updated equipment, too. If you know the project acronyms the documentation is online (for budget reasons) and it doesn't take much further searching to find which hulls were approved and then find a sufficiently long availability in their history.

For reasons that should be semi-obvious, fast attack boat acquisition & tracking hardware is (by DOD standards) kept pretty leading edge. DOD standards meaning, for instance, that my boat in the mid-90s was one of the first to be all solid-state straight from the builder, forward and aft. But the rooty-tooty point and shooty bits get upgrades more often than the other parts; I would be very unsurprised to find 8088-based circuits elsewhere in active boats. Ded's hull became razor blades ages ago.

My boat did a bunch of testing for new COTS gear that included AFTAS. The LA only got decommed a few years ago.

It's good they finally upgraded though. I was kind of surprised when I got to the fleet and saw that in the mid 90s we were using the highlights of early 1970s tech.

edit : the one really good thing about the old stuff tho was the analog comps. holy gently caress the freq response from those was amazing.

ded fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 6, 2014

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tu-123 Yastreb reconnaissance drone

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I bought an SR-71 T-Shirt at the air and space museum and its my prime workout shirt.
I have the biggest unashamed nerd boner for that plane.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

I bought an SR-71 T-Shirt at the air and space museum and its my prime workout shirt.
I have the biggest unashamed nerd boner for that plane.

Same. Except I haven't bought a t-shirt, but I did buy a book with lots of nice pictures of the SR-71.
It visited my hometown five times in the 80s, which is terrible because I wasn't born then and the airport is approximately 10 meters away from the city.

Could be an F-86 as well or something similar parked in the back to the far right there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

XP is another thing. Before an operating system for client stations can be approved for a certain classified level it needs to be audited quite thoroughly, and in the case of closed source code like Windows XP, that's done by means of reverse engineering and performing intricate, time-intensive tests on the resulting machine instructions. Exactly what and how is OPSEC but I can assure you it's a fuckload of work.

I set up a contract to get one of our systems updated to Windows 7 and it actually felt pretty satisfying

Satellite control stuff is also a pretty wild hodgepodge. I mean, what exactly are you going to about your 20-year-old satellite that's controlled through a Windows 3.1 machine?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 6, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Sjurygg posted:

Well, VAXen are good machines, and they run an OS, VMS, as rock-solid as the hardware. Nothing lasts forever, of course, but they could do worse. You could teach a Unix sysadmin with half a brain to work VMS pretty easily. Hardware spares are another side of the equation - parts will need to be replaced from time to time and that's going to be quite costly.

I loving love VAXes. Have you written code in VAX assembly? I have. It's glorious. It's from the days before RISC, so they have a dedicated instruction for everything. There are FIFTEEN different address modes. It's ridiculous and hilarious and awesome.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 7, 2014

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
If you guys are near Hill AFB, check out the museum, they got a SR-71C called "The Bastard".

Heh I always like the Ekranoplan.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

A Handed Missus posted:

Same. Except I haven't bought a t-shirt, but I did buy a book with lots of nice pictures of the SR-71.
It visited my hometown five times in the 80s, which is terrible because I wasn't born then and the airport is approximately 10 meters away from the city.

big SR-71 image

Could be an F-86 as well or something similar parked in the back to the far right there.

If it was taken in Japan it's probably a late-service JASDF F-86D Sabre Dog interceptor:

Armed with nothing but 24 unguided rockets :downs:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

A Handed Missus posted:

so based on firsthand accounts from people that's fuel underneath right? I've been told on numerous occasions those things leaked like a sieve when not at cruising speed

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

krispykremessuck posted:

so based on firsthand accounts from people that's fuel underneath right? I've been told on numerous occasions those things leaked like a sieve when not at cruising speed

The skin was the fuel tank liner...and the skin had to have room to expand when heated at cruising speed, so yeah, they leaked a lot while on the ground. This was also why they would undertake a quick supersonic dash immediately after take-off prior to hitting the first tanker, to get the skin to seal up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

iyaayas01 posted:

a quick supersonic dash immediately after take-off prior to hitting the first tanker, to get the skin to seal up.

This is word-for-word Fart Sandwich's excuse for having to jack it a bit before bangin' a fat girl

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Heyo

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

If it was taken in Japan it's probably a late-service JASDF F-86D Sabre Dog interceptor:

Armed with nothing but 24 unguided rockets :downs:

Nah, its pictured in Norway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It is an F-86 of some flavor, though.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the only good planes are from ww2

everything else sucks poo poo

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I used to live near RAF Mildenhall when the Blackbird was there.

The first time I ever saw it take off I was stood on the roof of a big barn about a half mile away from the runway on the flight path, my work mate shouted that it was taking off. I watched this thing just appear, then just stand on it's tail almost right above me and disappear. I was half way through shouting "HEY!! I thought that thing was loud?" when the most gut churning bass roar hit me like a hammer and my mate nearly fell off the roof laughing.

That was back in the good old days when the USAF used to have an open day at Mildenhall and you could actually walk round the whole place. They used to have Galaxies and stuff with the doors open so you could walk through and the Blackbird would also be parked up with a rope round it and a single bored looking guard telling kids to gently caress off and stop trying to pinch stuff off it. It was also the place where I first saw a video of the A-10 in action, [pre YouTube, I'm really old], and I fell in love with that plane then.

The big feature of the show was that every year they would do a VERY low flypast with the Blackbird with full afterburners on so you got those rings in the exhaust gases as it howled down the runway. Just so impressive to see. And I wonder why the gently caress I am deaf in my old age!

You also got a burger and a beer for a quid.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

:circlefap:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Half-scale replicas suck poo poo

There was an airshow in my town with a whole bunch of WW2-type of planes, FW 190, BF 109, Spitfire and such, the sounds of those things owned so incredibly hard. They even offered short flights in the Ju-52 and that was just about the most fun I've ever had while being fairly sure I'd die in a flaming wreck.

Speaking of incredible aircraft sounds, I saw a B-52 take off once and it ranked easily in the top 3 loudest loving things I'd ever heard. Then I visited some buddies in Aldermaston, England 2 years back and during a trip to Newbury, we sat outside some cafe having beers when the world ended. Imagine several million wailing dogs being flayed alive before having a nuke go off in your ear canal several times over. Then a gigantic, menacing black triangle blotted out the sun for a few seconds and half a minute later, we were able to talk again.
Turns out there's some huge plant from the Atomic Weapons Establishment on a former RAF base there with an airfield next to it and a Vulcan bomber was going there to do nukey things or something, idk.

I've never thought a man-made machine, let alone an aircraft would be capable of making sounds like that.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Wrong, the V bomber fleet also ruled.

:circlefap:

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 7, 2014

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Closed cockpits are for pussies.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Madurai posted:

Closed cockpits are for pussies.

Holy hell I would kill for a ride in one of those.

:bustem:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Godholio posted:

The one I used is a NATO jet...hardware's the same, but weird foreigners.

U jelly? :smug:

I always admired how the NATO AWACS smelled. JSTARS smelled like a combination of JP-8, rear end sweat, stale chicken nuggets and blue goo odor (which is what I expect the US AWACS smells like as well). Little German cleaning ladies would come on after the mission and clean up the mess we made. Man, I miss that gig.

Helldump Immunity. fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Name not nearly gay enough

• Locked thread