Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Iran unveils its new stealth drone!

:catstare:

Complete with nose gear that looks like it came off a shopping cart.

That is adorable!
:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

drgitlin posted:

They were ruled by an unpopular and bellicose military junta and not a representative democracy?

They underestimated the Iron Lady :britain:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

In an election chock full of WTF moments this was one of my favorites.

I swear I Romney has a GOB "I've made a terrible mistake." Look on his face at one point.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

The girl in the middle has the flattest chest I've ever seen on an adult female.

Red87 posted:

Well, this popped up on a Duffel Blog post, that was sent to them from someone in the unit..

Sometimes I'm ashamed.

I'm the female corporal with the terrifying grimace.

Also the guy on the right looks like he wouldn't not suck a dick if given the chance.

I honestly thought this was AF at first glance. Glad we aren't the only ones with a monopoly on nerdy losers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

The dog died before the game even started and all you do is pretend he is there as your PTSD kicks in.

drat that's bleak :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

There was a female pilot I think.

Wait that was the last Ace Combat.

drat that level was awesome.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Geez. Way to ruin the fun :stare:

Why do Aircraft marshallers have such crisp salutes. like, they just pop outta nowhere and im like "drat"

It's the only thing the pilot pays attention to.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Huh maybe IDR wasn't lying about his service.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Christoff posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wal...TG8T4yQG67YGoDw

it's men against domestic violence i guess...or rape, idk.

Yet I couldn't wear black boots with ABU's to get food at the chow hall :jerkbag:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Doesn't open on my phone. I feel like I've dodged a bullet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

What beer is this so I can buy those cans for display (after consumption).

WWII nose art is just neat :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

JSARSOM posted:

My mom has had a proud parent of a US SOLDIER sticker since 2008. They sent that poo poo to peoples homes when I was in BCT.

My recruiter sent my parents something like that when I shipped off to basic. The letter I got from my mom explaining that while she was proud of me she also thought that bumper sticker was tacky as hell and she wasn't going to ruin the paint on her new 300. That elicited a smile.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:laffo:

That is some moto poo poo right there. It's a like an Ed Hardy shirt in comic book form.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Uh...is that ship going in reverse?

What the hell is going on in that photo.

:stare:

I was going to say the aircraft was landing on the bow as opposed to the stern - where I assumed - the arrestor cables are located.

Seconding the what the hell is going on.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

That wouldn't surprise me actually, the F8F was made to take off on much shorter runways (Carriers) and the P-51 was all about range, so a lot more fuel to take off with.

The F8F was also the penultimate prop-driven fighter.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Godholio posted:

I'm not sure if you're using that word correctly. Usually it's obvious one way or the other.
I went to college! :downs:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh my god.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I thought it was a clever recruitment ads.

Better than many of our's in the US.

Remember the USMC one with the dragon?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Because GAVIN :downs:

I'm telling you guys it would be the most hilarious military version of a Rube Goldberg device ever seen. Just imagine telling some guys that help is on the way only for this monstrosity to show up and out pops a M113.

My favorite bit about the M113:

quote:

Initially nick-named "The Green Dragon" by the enemy, the M113 served in all areas of Vietnam throughout the war and was to become one of the most successful armored vehicles of all time. Unlike many other Army vehicles, the M133 does not appear to have acquired an official name or even a widely used nickname. Some advocates have indicated that the M113 is also nicknamed the "Gavin", after an Army general who was influential in the development of the M113 in the 1950s. This is not however, an official designation, and there is some question about the extent to which actual users of the system use this name. A similar point arises with respect to the M8 AGS, which some unofficially call the Buford, despite this also being an unofficial naming. One observer wrote that "In more than 30 years working in the defense industry, I have never, never heard anybody use the name "Gavin" for the M-113. Not in the US nor in any of the many countries that use the vehicle. Not in the military forces, not in the companies that build and equip it, not in the groups that retrofit and repair it. This usage appears not only to be "unofficial", it is entirely fictional and I believe that you may have been the victim of a hoax or deliberate disinformation."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Got a link to that column?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Watching that Vice documentary. Jesus what the gently caress are we doing there?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Throwing money and young men and women into a burning pit? :shrug:

It'll be interesting to watch the historiography develop from these two wars.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

He's probably short and doesn't give a gently caress.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

Safety privilege will only allow me to say that I agree with your statement.

A classic:

Fun fact: the guys that did that all got LoR's!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

God the F-15 is the epitome of sexy jet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

My jet was a D model. Tell you what it was sweet strapping a noner into the backseat every Friday for an incentive flight.

Oh and the loving academy cadet that puked in my backseat :mad:

Content:

I love this picture it's my wallpaper on my computer. I'm the dude with the wands.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Speaking as a former maintainer, surges and exercises were the perfect time to deal with pocket discrepancies and extra nitpicky BPO's - you were there for 12 hours anyways.

I'm surprised no one in leadership noticed that FMC rate dropped like a rock whenever we went on mandatory 12's.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

IDR?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

A really awesome photo of the F-35.

It is, shame the thing's a hunk of garbage.

Partially because it's a not-F-15 :colbert:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

You went one too high. :colbert:

False it is a scientific fact that the F-15 is the most aesthetically pleasing fighter this side of WWII.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

grover posted:

You're all wrong. There are many aesthetically pleasing aircraft, but only one is the hotness.

The F-22 looks like a fat toad when it's sitting on the ground.

Also whoever posted those Crusader pics without this fails.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

Gonna have to reign that one in a little bit, we can all agree that the F-22 is the sexiest of all modern fighters. Even if her procurement was... not so great.

I am going to respectfully disagree. Any beauty the F-22 has while airborne is counteracted by the fact that it - again - looks like a fat toad sitting on the Tarmac. The way the landing gear splay out combined with the short little stubby nose gear and opened bay doors always struck me as making the thing look fat and ugly to me.

v/r

N4I

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

Who judges a fighter by its appearance on the ground?

I spent countless hours in close proximity to both as a crew chief so I admit my views are skewed. The F-15 is my first love I guess. I knew just about every square inch of that thing. I knew that there was a spot between the two engine humps where if you lay in the right spot it would be as comfortable as a hammock and it was the perfect place to relax for a few minutes and actually marvel at how beautiful the view from the fighter ramp at Kadena was. I could diagnose the secondary power system just by listening to it and had memorized the leaks on my particular jet and spent an entire weekend with the panels torn off tightening hydro lines.

The F-22 on the other hand was an over-engineered train-wreck to me. A lot of diagnosis was handled by a drat computer that didn't work right half the time and just about everything on the thing from changing a tire to servicing oil was twice as inane and tedious.

I fully admit I'm biased but the F-22 will never match the F-15 in my eyes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

grover posted:

Yes, but you just know that an engineer somewhere, some point, just because he could, added code into the avionics enough so the pilot could just kinda fly it without heroic superhuman action, even with one wing completely missing.

Nothing would be more :black101: than an F-22 shooting down a foe with one wing missing.

In the meantime (and god I hope this has changed since 2010, we filed a report on it) what should have been a simple service job necessitated an engine pull because while there was an obvious panel that could be removed to gain access to the part, there was no mention of it in the TO so let's pull an engine!

gently caress the Craptor. :colbert:

Oh and the laptops where all of the tech data were store had the best bugs including my personal favorite where if you tried to open two commonly used TO's at the same time the thing would hard lock!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

And not only is the airframe still in production (i.e. they still have orders to fill) but they still are getting new orders. With the orders they have now the line will be open until 2017, and there are still several countries that are considering placing additional orders.

Have a heritage flight picture, i.e. 70 years of air dominance (click for huge):

Those pictures always amuse me because I imagine the jets are right around stall speed while the P-51 is firewalled. I know there's a large overlap in the flight envelope for all four of those planes but it still amuses me to think about.

holocaust bloopers posted:

P-51 still looks good.

drat straight it does.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

You had a choice too. You get all the glory and respect. I get salsa nights and DFAC ice cream.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

To be fair, the articles were still in those issues. They just weren't on the cover.

Still pretty inexcusable.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I have the strangest boner right now...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Godholio posted:

Is it wrong to hope the Russians dominate just to see the waves of panic that result?

No I just assumed that's what everyone is hoping will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:3:

• Locked thread