Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

He was a TFR goon a long time ago. TFR (where I post the most) is full of guys with all sorts of silly poo poo like that. Why do they have it? They're gun nerds and it appeals to them. Much good natured fun is made about this on a regular basis.

Even in TFR Myrtar is mocked, though.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
He was also taking a lot of two-shot bursts, which means he was using full-auto setting and trying to keep to single shots with trigger control, which is rather odd.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Edit: /\/\ Thanks for the history that's pretty cool

Nillerz posted:

my wife is from Japan. she gave me permission to use the term "jappo", and says that it's not racist and those who think it is are retards.

Yes but she also married you so her judgement is pretty suspect.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It's a famous moment in cricket, known as the underarm incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underarm_bowling_incident_of_1981

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Brown Moses said he heard from him after he failed to get to Syria and was sent back to the US. Don't know about after that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I know as a lowly civilian I'm not really in a position to talk, but why are people fixing bayonets here? Is this actually a thing done by people these days? I seem to recall all the people from combat units talking about how bayonets are never actually used; is this an indication that the people in the photo are NG/Reserves or something?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

grover posted:

I heard a rumor bayonet training has been dropped from basic. T/F?

And also that USMC officers are expected to buy swords, but never trained to use them.

I thought it was that the Army stopped bayone training, but the Marines kept it because blood makes the grass grow green oorah semper fi et cetera

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Aciid c0d3r posted:

Welp. 14 minutes into the morning, and I am pretty sure I've just seen someone die. I don't know if this is real or not but it is very graphic. :nms: face-splodin' time:nms:
Can anyone shed some light on this gif and let me know what/where this is at? It looks like LiveLeaks, but holy gently caress.

Here's the original video :nms: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4e2_1365928728 :nms:

It's from Syria, looks like it was posted by some pro-Assad group. I'm guessing a smallish shell (23mm maybe?) blew through the wall and sent a chunk into his face.

You can see the aftermath at the end of the video.

Fake edit: Googling 'liveleaks face explode syria' will also bring up a video of a kid with his jaw blown off, fully conscious and responding. Literally one of the worst things I think I've ever seen.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Looks like small shell hits wall corner, hits face. And judging from how he doesn't go down, but flinches, it looks like he lives, at least a while.

edit: efb

In the video you can see the aftermath, and it looks like he's moving a bit, but I'm not sure. He might very well still be alive.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
It sucks more for the hundreds of protesters who are getting gunned down by the military and police. Here's one woman getting hit by a ricochet, stray round, or possibly a sniper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ikTgyTuxrI

Listen to the gunfire in the background; they're opening the gently caress up. The military claims that MB supporters are using guns to attack military, and probably some are, but there's not much indication of major armed resistance; no pictures of dead or wounded military/police.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

gleep gloop posted:

God drat how far away were they there? I don't think I ever heard the explosion.

I think it's the distant bang you can hear at :45, which would make the delay something like 8-9 seconds, so ~3km maybe? Wikipedia says Konkurs have a range of 4km so it sounds about right.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mortabis posted:

I recall reading that the V-22 has had a very good safety record now that it's in service, in spite of problems during development.

Seriously somebody give me some sources for this. There's huge protests in Japan over their using V-22s at Okinawa, because it's supposed unsafe and will begin raining from the sky onto their homes in fiery hail of death, and I want to be able to counter that bullshit with numbers.

\/\/ yeah I'm dumb/lazy I guess

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 11, 2013

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Context here? That Arabic says "Syria Al-Assad" which would suggest that team is inside of Syria...

Russian mercenaries caught in Syria. Apparently a few of them got injured or killed and a bunch of documents fell into the hands of rebels.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Can-O-Raid posted:

*The Royal Candian Air Force prefers its rapists to be of the 'creepy serial killing Colonel' variety.

What the gently caress, he's still collecting pension!?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I forget the details but basically the JSDF is having a helluva time getting people to join up and stay in. Sure, they've got the problems all militaries have, but it's also a heavily neutered force by design, recruiting from a culture full of herbivores and cherry boys that have no problem living with Ma and Paw well into their 30s instead of getting a job. I'm not going to pretend to understand why Glorious Nipponese do what they do but somebody official and high up thinks this cute animu girls on helicopters thing will boost recruits like our videos of knights slaying lava monsters did for us.

A bit different from the South Koreans across the way who (in addition to the draft) still have a culture that places strange pride in military service, even if it was spent more getting tormented by sadistic sunbaes than actually doing much training or defending.

Japan has a number of problems attracting people, but I don't know how much I'd say the "herbivore" phenomenon (which is really pretty drat overplayed, not backed up by any serious research that I'm aware of and probably basically a myth) is a factor. There are more than enough masculine dudes running around to fill the ranks of the JDSF.

But, in Japan, where there's still a tradition of lifetime employment (though it's changing), successful businessmen get jobs at major companies directly out of their undergrad. That's basically it and there's little in the way of other patterns. Which means that people who end up going to the military will almost definitely not be able to return to civilian life and be successful. Obviously this is the case to some extent in the US as well, but it's even worse in Japan because of the rigidity of the employment system. I don't have data, but I'd guess that this is a huge factor. It's not like the US where doing a 4-year stint in the military and then going through college and looking for work, or joining as an officer and using leadership experience to boost a resume when transferring to civilian life is a fairly common thing. Whether or not you get into a good company really defines your life in many ways in Japan; if you get into one of the major corporations you're basically set for life, and if you join the military this becomes effectively impossible.

So they try to make their military more appealing to a greater swath of people with some of this bullshit. Don't think that these things are the only recruiting efforts they make though; there are much more militant and "normal" ads for the JDSF around, but those don't get seen outside of Japan because they're not weird enough to post to imgur/SA/reddit/whatever. And indeed, the weird ones get more attention in Japan too. By having a somewhat softer and peaceful image they can get the attention of people who would never otherwise think to join the SDF, and the meatheads who want in will want in anyway.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
A video about being wounded on the battlefield not masturbating?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhxv-lcChGM

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
How in the gently caress did they get that rapist's permission to air that with his real name and face :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

Thank you for your sever. Our Cumtry is grapeful.

Is this Dr. Ruth or am I totally mistaken.

• Locked thread