Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

Carteret posted:

YUP. The black smoke you see is a Carbon(silicate? can never remember) add in that fucks up Infrared. They had sweet drop down screens so the drivers could see where the hell they were driving when they were in seas of smoke, and I don't remember what spectrum the periscope used, just that it was expensive as gently caress and we weren't allowed to touch.

^Pretty much. I left back in '05, so I don't even know if they still have the bastards.

If it makes you feel better, it was a challenging problem and we spent many government research dollars in trying to solve the simple problem of "being able to see through gently caress loads of smoke".

Veins McGee posted:

How would you like to the rear end in a top hat that has to drive the smoke generator m113 around? I bet they had some epic weed related vehicle names though...

Puff the Magic Dragon? Or were those flamethrowers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bensa posted:

I'm pretty sure the interface is NI's Labview, its easy to hook up a variety of instruments to it and it doesn't require actual coding. Very robust if implemented correctly and entire factories depend on it.

Was just about to post this, is that loving LabView of all things controlling the Railgun?

Also I think there was a future weapons thread at some point here, might have fallen into archives.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

She looked like a Klingon hosed a fish, so the gills took on the ridges texture on her neck.

New thread (sub)title found

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So colorful :swoon:

Is that a refueling, uh, thingy (drogue?) that the one in front is dragging? Didn't think they could buddy-tank or something.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

7 crew members and cargo. Word is that the pilots were reporting that the cargo shifted.

Five of them were from Michigan (used to run out of Willow Run), got a beer with those guys every now and then. :smith:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JSARSOM posted:

Do they even have airplanes?

That's exactly what Un is saying

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is it usual for the guy on the left to have his hand on her non-throwing arm? Never thrown a grenade before.

Oh come on, you of all people should know

:quagmire:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Scratch Monkey posted:

Didn't they supposedly recover one of our stealthy UAVs awhile back? Wouldn't making a mockup that looked something like that been more convincing?

If that's what they built after ~~reverse-engineering~~ a RQ-170 I don't know what to say except :stare:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Looks more like a reverse engineered Pioneer.

In that case, holy poo poo it took awhile, didn't they use to fly those off battleships for gunnery sighting/targeting?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Never stop posting

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

People mad that the new CoD has a playable dog character before it has a playable woman character. I guess they don't get dogs out number women in SF units by a pretty massive margin.

Have any of the CoDs had female characters? There was that hacker chick from Black Ops II I guess, but she died really fast :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mike-o posted:

It's a beautiful rainbow! :buddy:

gaaaaaaay

movax
Aug 30, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Want to go full on retard? Make berets in UCP pattern.

Courtesy of Azerbaijan.

This is loving awesome

movax
Aug 30, 2008

20 C-130s and this is the best picture they take :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

I see that and think of how awful it must've been for all of those maintainers and aircrew guys. Congratulations, Dyess leadership. You single-handedly ruined the day for hundreds of people.

I gather it's a fuckload of work / organization to get 20 planes to sortie simultaneously? I figured C-130s would at least be near the bottom of the hours of maintenance per flight hour scale.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

white privilege posted:

i currently live with the spanish army and they do some of the strangest poo poo like shave each other's bodies, sing to each other in the shower, pass around one bottle of body wash, and all sorts of other general weird poo poo like that

hey you know if they're secure in their masculinity :shobon:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

LIke an Ace Combat color scheme, owns owns owns

hailthefish posted:

International audience and high levels of English speakers in the Dutch population.

The US is full of idiots; seems like every other country has huge percentages of their population as bilingual/trilingual. And they speak better English than some Americans do.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ahh this isnt yospos i can't probate for anime

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pufflekins posted:

I agree w/ this 100%. Space is cool and all but lets find out what's in the oceans first.

Look at this jerk, being a kaiju collaborator :ohdear:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

Fat Albert is pretty badass.

They stopped doing the RATO takeoffs though, right? Something about their not being many bottles left?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

shyduck posted:

I'm pretty sure C-17s are mainly used to haul goods down to Christchurch, New Zealand, and either from there or one central part of Antarctica they use LC-130s to move everything around the continent.

Yeah, the LC-130s still have skis I think that let them move stuff around to more remote places. I think C-17s can land at the one/two permanent solid ice runway, I've seen pics of C-141s chill in' with penguins.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

I think the main advantage is the incomparable BVR performance.

Yeah, it's really hard to fight back when your opponent has already murdered your multiple times before you even knew he was there.

Don't worry though, I'm sure the retarded infosec folks at various contractors have already helped China/etc figure out how to beat it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:circlefap:

gently caress yes

movax
Aug 30, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

It's guided by Allah. He's its co-pilot.

Should make some "Allah is my co-pilot" bumper stickers and then put them on random cars you find.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:stare:

e: Suggested video, Rex Ryan melts down at a press conference :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mzuri posted:

Truly our finest hour. There is something poetic about buying bombs from Israel to bomb a muslim country. Someone should make a cartoon about that.

:a2m: ??

movax
Aug 30, 2008

grover posted:

I've never seen anything like it, either. Has some resemblance to US's LRAD as well, but definitely isn't a simple LRAD clone.

I think what we're actually seeing is the first combat deployment of a terahertz imager in an urban environment. Would be loving HUGE for seeing through walls, and would make a ton of sense. I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't seen something like it come up sooner.

Here's an experimental unit:

http://opticalengineering.spiedigitallibrary.org/article.aspx?articleid=1307603

Dude do you think the loving Syrians are fielding that?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Its kinda fat.

No fat-shaming please, 'curvy'

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thump! posted:

They look like cops of some sort.

Or the bad guys from Call of Duty MW2:

edit: Nope, nevermind. Iraqi Special Forces.

Ghost :smith:

These are fuckin' amazing.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

'Stena Lynx' huh, think I've seen her in some videos before.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyone watched Alpha House on Prime yet? The contractor parody seems too accurate to be a parody.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bacarruda posted:

Gun trucks made a comeback during the "gently caress we don't have MRAPs, y'all improvise" stage of Iraq.

mad max as gently caress

movax
Aug 30, 2008

support are troops

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TCD posted:

I thought that the Silent Eagle would have been an okay compromise for some of these countries like Australia and Japan.

On paper it seems incredibly sane to sell the F-15E airframe to many countries: twin engines, decades of operational experience and knowledge, great range, multi-role, reasonably priced, etc. In the case of Japan, they already operate F-15s (I forget if they are license-built). I'm sure IAI or Elbit would love to fill a void left if certain avionics components were not exported.

In reality though, politics & marketing, I guess have got folks hopping on the F-35 train :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

free market

movax
Aug 30, 2008

holy poo poo

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

Needs more Stan Bush methinks.

e: gently caress it just set it to loop to the entire Blood Bros trilogy

Blood Bros. is the best workout mix and anyone who thinks otherwise is a goddamn Communist.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

idgi

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

Hatches were open on the other tank so they closed them for the guys. :3:

Hahah, I see it now :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Go on a cruise, slay piles of North Mediterranean pussy on port-calls, shoot down some Libyan jets, play chicken with Iranian planes, maybe even drop a bomb or two on Lebanon, intercept a Soviet bomber, go home and gently caress gaggles of Vegas drink girls in a hotel suite and hang out on the beach the 4 days a week you aren't in operations.

Dudes were pretty much living the dream

just make this the recruiting poster

• Locked thread