Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
On the subject of special forces, here is a documentary on the selection course for the Australian SAS. Speaking as a civilian, it looks incredibly loving brutal.

edit: full thing here.

Hydrolith fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
To my knowledge, the Australian SAS is modelled on the British.

As far as I know, their main thing is reconnaissance for long periods of time in enemy territory. They aren't exclusively counter terrorism, though they provide one counter-terrorism unit called TAG West. There's another one, TAG East, that's sourced from the Commandos (wiki link).

Hydrolith fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 24, 2013

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
:australia: Cool. Didn't know that.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

ripped0ff posted:

Just want to reiterate that Aussie spec ops are pretty cool. We had some TF 66 guys (the Aussie Ranger battalion) in the COP next to ours. Every time I went in there they offered me a beer.
Cool. We don't have any rangers, though. I've done a bit of digging, and apparently TF 66 was comprised of SASR, 2Cdo and SOER. Which is more or less all the SF we have.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

grover posted:

There should be an app for that :colbert:

Betcha that ipad doesn't even show angle, it just moves the target pip on the map as he adjusts the mortar.

Huh. Surely that wouldn't be too hard to write, either.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Isn't that bit on the back of the bullet supposed to come off before the thing comes out the barrel?

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

ded posted:

Could have sworn I saw this video a few years ago and it was brits that they were attacking not marines.

Way too many scripts to enable to view that poo poo.

It just embeds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvdVSYqInNg anyway.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

I'd gently caress a hot deaf chick, but it'd be hard not to laugh when she starts making Chewbacca noises
Hey, it's not like she'd be able to hear you laughing :haw:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Ok, that needs some explanation.

Mounting a GAU-8 as an MG emplacement? :haw:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

You realize those aren't the same dudes right?

Google says:

"NEIL BLAKE | nblake@mdn.net Jim “Pee Wee” Martin of Carlton portrays a World War II U.S. Army 101st Airborne Division, 2nd Battalion, 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment paratrooper".

If it's not the same guy, he's got the same name.

From http://www.mdnvisuals.com/page/3/

Hydrolith fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 6, 2014

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Possibly the worst case of coincidental timing in defense industry PR history:

http://www.janes.com/article/38836/first-f-16-handed-over-to-iraq

Why are we giving them F-16's again?

Ironic, considering the F-16's first air-to-ground mission was by Israel, bombing an Iraqi nuclear reactor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Opera)

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Soviet engineering being destroyed by more recent Soviet engineering. GLORY OF RUSSIA IS UPHELD REGARDLESS!

Haha.. oh YouTube comments. You never let me down

drat those Nazi Jews and their Zionism! Every since those fascists in NATO created Al Qaeda, Chechenia has never been the same! It's wall to wall Jewish mafia now.

That's got to be the first time I've seen Al Qaeda described as "zionist".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
I like how the dog's face is censored.

• Locked thread