Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

AB posted:

TURN YOUR KEY, SIR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7vKF0V-A9Y&t=4s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

DoktorLoken posted:

:lol: What the gently caress? Do they not require drivers education at all in Russia?

Or commercial licenses, or tree cutting education, or....

Everything in that video is awesome.

e: Also, I feel that vodka is probably responsible for a good 50% of the stuff in that video. And Michael Bay's movies aren't terrible fiction, they're documentaries about driving in Russia.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Hell Diver posted:

Holy poo poo this owns so hard haha.

Apparently Juba is not familiar with the term "eye relief," and enjoys getting black eyes from the scope.

Also yes that is awesome. Please tell me there's an Afghan one like Ahmad the IED emplacer or Abdul the Green on Blue Assassin.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

genderstomper58 posted:

Also according to wikipedia the officers train with enlisted for the first months???

BUD/S is everyone together, so is (I think) USAF PJ and CCT indoc (CROs and STOs are lumped in with the PJ and CCT candidates, respectively), so it doesn't really surprise me they'd do that.

Best SEALS picture:

e: There were officer candidates who would try and pull that AINT GOT TIME TO SHOWER poo poo. People who are trying to be officers. In Montgomery, Alabama. In loving July. We had four guys in one room, one shower, ten minutes to get showered, shaved, brushed teeth, change out of PTs into BDUs, and room in inspection order. TEN loving MINUTES and people would still be like AINT GOT TIME.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 5, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

genderstomper58 posted:

Youre tellin me stuff I know brah, but this is like basic + SOI together or whatever in one so its just a strange difference to me

I didn't watch the video, how long is the training? I mean BUD/S is 25 weeks and they're together the whole time, I just figured it would comparable-ish to that.

e: Nevermind, watched part of the video (also re-read what you said), I see what you're saying as far as it being an "accessions"/entry type training.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 5, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Red Crown posted:

I've heard those things are really hard to fly. They have this weird niche in their performance envelope at like Mach 1.8 where you can stall the engine out and die, pretty much.

That, the wing sweep is manual (you sweep the wings by pulling a lever, and doing so at the wrong speed/AoA/other flight regime can send the aircraft into uncontrolled flight), and it is pretty easy to overspeed because once you hit a certain point (IIRC somewhere just below Mach 2, give or take) a friction lock engaged making it impossible to rapidly reduce the throttle. From the idiots thread:

iyaayas01 posted:

My understanding is that his mishap took place on the second of two orientation flights (if I had my copy of Red Eagles with me I could confirm this), which called for a high speed run. The only real fault here is that Bond got a little carried away with the speed and exceeded the speed he was supposed to be at and departed controlled flight...if I had my copy of Red Eagles I could tell you the specifics but there was some kind of a friction lock on the throttle of the MiG-23 where once you pushed past a certain speed the lock engaged so you couldn't quickly pull back on the throttle, because the rapid deceleration from those high speeds could could cause the engine to break loose from its mounts (which would be bad, obviously). So once you were past a certain speed you were kind of along for the ride for a certain period of time because you had to slowly decelerate. IIRC Bond got going too fast and got in over his head/task saturated to the point where he forgot about/didn't realize the friction lock was engaged and wasn't able to slow down, then departed controlled flight and was forced to eject while still supersonic.

So yeah, the MiG-23 is pretty difficult to fly. If you read Davies' book, not nearly as many Red Eagles were qualified in the Flogger compared to the MiG-21 or -17, and it quickly gained a reputation as an airplane that you had to be fully engaged with constantly and be several steps ahead of all the time, because if you didn't it would find a way to bite you. It was a hot rod with some serious speed and acceleration, but that came at a price. Have some Red Eagles/4477th TES pictures:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Red Crown posted:

Yeah, that's the incident I was thinking of. As I recall he basically took the thing out on a joyride without telling anyone or planning it out and it killed him.

Eh, not really...from the same post in the same thread:

iyaayas01 posted:

As for General Bond's incident, he kind of pulled rank, but it isn't really as bad as it sounds. IIRC this wasn't that unheard of, as another couple of other senior officers did it...the thought process was that they needed to get the experience of the aircraft to be able to effectively advocate for it/fully appreciate the need for it (especially when it came to funding)/etc. The typical profile for this kind of flight was what the Red Eagles called an "orientation" flight...it was what the Red Eagles would fly on their first couple of sorties flying a type of MiG: an experienced check pilot would go up in a chase T-38 while the student pilot (or senior officer) would put the MiG through some basic maneuver. Given General Bond's position as AFSC Vice, as I alluded to above he would've been a) read in on the Red Eagles, and b) actually had something to do with the MiG programs in general. Additionally, the way Jacobson writes it makes it sound like he was out there to see the F-117 and just happened to see the MiGs and was like "ooh, shiny MiGs, I want to fly one." That wasn't it at all; his visit was primarily intended to touch base with the Red Eagles, so the plan always was for him to get some flying time with the MiGs.

It was a planned sortie with a standard brief, there was a Red Eagle check pilot flying in a chase plane (pretty sure it was a T-38 but I still haven't gotten my household goods yet so I can't check my book), the mishap flight was actually his second flight in the Flogger, he just got in over his head and let the plane get away from him.

You could make a case (as some of the Red Eagles have) that neither he nor any other non-Red Eagle should've ever been flying the Flogger because it was just too hard of an aircraft to handle, and now that I think about it I think the preflight brief may have been abbreviated, but he didn't just pull rank and jump in the jet for a joyride.

e: Have some more 4477th TES/Constant Peg pictures:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 10, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Epiphyte posted:

Which Red Eagles book is the recommended one? Amazon has one by Davies and another by Peck

I've read both...read Davies' first. It's a good overview that goes pretty in depth to the overall program although it kind of focuses pretty heavily on the ops side of things because for several reasons the maintainers weren't very forthcoming to him when he was doing his research. However, the biggest reason to read Davies first is that it is quite a bit better written than Peck's, mostly because a) Davies is a writer for a living, and b) Davies actually had editing support from his publisher, for some reason Peck really didn't and it shows.

If you read Davies' book and you want more, then pick up Peck's. Peck's book goes into quite a bit more detail about the maintainers and some of the background of the start of the program and setting up the site at Tonopah (since he was involved with the program from the very beginning...the PEG in CONSTANT PEG was his wife). If you are interested in the program, Peck's book is worth slogging through...but make no mistake, it is definitely a slog, which is really a shame because it has a lot of unique information and all it really needed was a good editor.

If we're talking about explosions, the '04 Kirkuk MSA..."incident" is required viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOqTQiKsJ0Q

For added irony.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

movax posted:

Puff the Magic Dragon? Or were those flamethrowers?

Like others have said vehicle names are generally at the discretion of the crews, but Puff the Magic Dragon was a widely accepted unofficial nickname for the AC-47 gunships in Vietnam (official name was Spooky). Here's why:

(click through for huge). Remember, the ball:tracer ratio in the miniguns was 4:1. The NVA/VC nicknamed the plane "dragon" because of the "dragon's breath"

Since I brought up up gunships, this is an interesting fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeU6pThvJq0

It's been EIGHT YEARS since there hasn't been a Spectre gunship forward deployed somewhere in the world.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Also, one of those pilots on the navy shirt is ballsy as gently caress.

He requested a flyby, but the pattern was full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWUR3sgKUV8

I still chuckle every time I watch this video, both for the beginning "The Iraqis have finally found a plane they can outmaneuver and outgun...:fsmug:" bit, where the Predator gets it, and the clip of one spiraling out of control.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

You have a source for that? How would that even work? I have never heard of a predator with AIM-9's.. but then again, my whole pred experience was in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Any idea which model AIM-9 it is? Does the guy in the trailer at nellis get a tone lock? I mean, space and time being what they are, and latency being what it is, and AIM-9 ranges being what they are.. I can't see stinger missile engagement ever working-- but I've been proven wrong a million times before so :shrug:

Like SS said, Stingers aren't Sidewinders...-9s are a whole different class of missile, which is why Preds can only carry Stingers, since they're considerably smaller/lighter than -9s (although they dropped that idea pretty quickly after realizing that it was loving retarded) while Reapers can actually notionally carry Sidewinders, although again, no one thinks that is viable because it's loving retarded for a whole host of reasons.

Also the MiG shot first; they had been using Predators to bait Iraqi fighters into flying south into the no-fly zone and/or opening fire so they'd have justification to engage with actual fighters...that time instead of turning and running the Predator shot back.

And thus ended the U.S. military's first abortive (and so far only) attempt to utilize an air to air RPA.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 6, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
That is one of the best pictures I have ever seen.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Can you US fellas answer me this, does the Garand below have its bolt in?

I can't say with certainty from that picture alone because if the bolt is in it is locked back (which is why you can't see it and why you can see the follower where the bolt would be if it was forward; also the charging handle is locked to the rear), but I would be shocked if it wasn't in since it would look rather funny when the bolt was supposed to be forward, which would be most of the time. I'm not familiar with the M1 manual of arms, but I would imagine the Marine in the picture is performing something like inspection arms, which is why he has the bolt locked back.

Generally speaking with drill rifles they leave the bolt installed but snip the firing pin/otherwise render it inoperable and plug the barrel.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Stultus Maximus posted:

Libya is probably the best foreign military intervention we've done since Kosovo but that doesn't agree with everyone's politics.

And Kosovo was (and is) a loving mess, so all that really is saying is that our interventions over the past decade have been loving retarded.

Even though it was a "good" intervention, Libya is still having (and will continue to have for many years) major second and third order effects...the issues in Mali right now? Some of that can be directly traced to Libya, specifically the proliferation of arms across the Maghreb.

Mirage 2000Ds on their way to N'Djamena.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Stolen from the TFR Cold War thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRIg7pxZdA4

It actually stands for America's War Against Common Sense. :eng101:

I'm partial to America's Worst Amateur Clown Show, myself.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Jefferoo posted:

Show me your war face!

:10bux: says that's something related to Cobra Gold. Seems like every year there's pictures of Marines doing something insane that is for some reason a Thai tradition of some sort and/or associated with jungle survival training.

Also banging tranny hookers, but I doubt there's many pictures of that on DVIDS.

fake edit: yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7t55ojyfvs

e:

hahaha

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 21, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can imagine the horror show TFR posters could come up with accessorizing those 4 miles of railzzz

Forget the AR of Very Poor Decisions, this would be huge.

And I'm sure I could conceive of a scenario where the Air Wing would have to utilize JDAMs against a surface target, but there's a reason they train with Harpoons, and there's a reason why the SSN is the Navy's primary ASuW weapon.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

McNally posted:

So at what point did this guy pass the "try to get out of tickets" level and go into full-blown retard mode?

"HOOAH" vanity plates are unforgivable 110% of the time.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Veins McGee posted:

Yeah, Phantoms are cool. I really like the tail art.

That would be VF-111, the Sundowners. Initially VF-11, the squadron was established in 1942, and chose the name to epitomize their spirit and superiority over the Japanese. Here's their squadron patch:

And have some more Sundowner pictures:

(click for big on the first three)

As you can see, they transitioned to Tomcats after the Phantoms. After being inactive for a decade after standing down in the mid '90s as part of the post Cold War draw down, now they are VFC-111, the Navy aggressor squadron at Key West, flying F-5s:

e: Well poo poo, that's what I get for waiting while putting together pictures for my post.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LimburgLimbo posted:

Edit: /\/\ Thanks for the history that's pretty cool

One last bit of (pop) history...VF-111 was one of the Tomcat squadrons at Miramar that was involved with supporting the filming of Top Gun. For their trouble, they got a veiled shoutout in the movie...Clarence Gilyard Jr's character's call sign is "Sundown" and here's the helmet he wears:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GD_American posted:

VX-4 logo supremacy.

Mid-90s RIF :argh:

VX-9 took over the Playboy bunny lineage of VX-4 (since VX-9 was formed from combining VX-4 and VX-5)...first with Tomcats:

And now with Super Hornets:

e: Completely unrelated...Tom Ricks linked to this photo a couple of days ago, and it's too bizarre not to post here:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 4, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Really think it was photoshopped. Any Paveway kit from Paveway II on is going to have spring loaded tail fins that pop out when the bomb is released. Those aren't on there, it looks like a bomb prior to release where the tail fins haven't popped out yet...like if you took a picture of one sitting on the ground.

fake edit: I guess maybe they could've failed to actuate or something. Do you know where it was supposedly taken? Russian munitions have a distinctive look compared to US/Western munitions, and that really looks like a US Paveway LGB...so if it was supposedly taken in Syria that would be a pretty big red flag (while Libya or somewhere Israel was bombing would still be plausible).

e: This is what I'm talking about :

e2: No way that is a GBU-28...it just so happens that's what is in the picture I posted as an example of the tail fins popping out is a GBU-28. The proportions are all off in relation to the tail kit and CCG on the front, and there's no hardback assembly visible in the picture.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 7, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Booblord Zagats posted:

I've seen .50 cal casings re-purposed as shot glasses. I want to get a 105 to turn in to a beer stien one day

I've seen GAU-8 30mm brass from an A-10 repurposed as shot glasses, kind of more of a double at that point.

And yeah, they generally will scrub it using a parts washer of some sort and then coat it with something to prevent the combustion byproducts from being an issue.

Also I've got a bottle opener made from a .50 casing. Available here.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
This is a pretty awesome dog:

Story here

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

genderstomper58 posted:

It looks so happy :3: :3: :3:

Make sure you read the story...if I thought I could get away with it I would totally start bringing a dog with me to work on the flightline.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

McNally posted:

For a second, I thought it was Roscoe.

[/URL]

Raz talked about Roscoe in one/both of his books, didn't he?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

Sorry if i sound like a dick but who is Raz?

Ed Rasimus, USAF fighter pilot and author of what are two of the best books about the air war over Vietnam: When Thunder Rolled, about his tour flying Thuds during Rolling Thunder, and Palace Cobra, about his tour flying Phantoms during Linebacker. He also assisted Robin Olds' daughter with writing/compiling/editing Olds' memoirs. Raz passed away in January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU0d3DVcKoY

Watching Best Years of Our Lives tonight, still one of the best movies about war ever made.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

River Raid posted:

There was a Marine OV-10 pilot who wrote a book that felt a lot like Raz's work, but I can never remember his name or the book's title. Anyone know the guy I'm talking about. He was in Santini's MAG, made Santini slice his hand open on a ceiling fan?

If I had to guess I'd say either Robert Stoffey's Cleared Hot or J.M. Moriarty's Ground Attack Vietnam. Haven't read either of them (yet), but AFAIK those are the only two books specifically about USMC Broncos in Vietnam.

Speaking of Broncos, this guy this ship was named after was a stone cold bad rear end:

quote:

Capt. Bennett was the pilot of a light aircraft flying an artillery adjustment mission along a heavily defended segment of route structure. A large concentration of enemy troops was massing for an attack on a friendly unit. Capt. Bennett requested tactical air support but was advised that none was available. He also requested artillery support but this too was denied due to the close proximity of friendly troops to the target. Capt. Bennett was determined to aid the endangered unit and elected to strafe the hostile positions. After 4 such passes, the enemy force began to retreat. Capt. Bennett continued the attack, but, as he completed his fifth strafing pass, his aircraft was struck by a surface-to-air missile, which severely damaged the left engine and the left main landing gear. As fire spread in the left engine, Capt. Bennett realized that recovery at a friendly airfield was impossible. He instructed his observer to prepare for an ejection, but was informed by the observer that his parachute had been shredded by the force of the impacting missile. Although Capt. Bennett had a good parachute, he knew that if he ejected, the observer would have no chance of survival. With complete disregard for his own life, Capt. Bennett elected to ditch the aircraft into the Gulf of Tonkin, even though he realized that a pilot of this type aircraft had never survived a ditching. The ensuing impact upon the water caused the aircraft to cartwheel and severely damaged the front cockpit, making escape for Capt. Bennett impossible. The observer successfully made his way out of the aircraft and was rescued. Capt. Bennett's unparalleled concern for his companion, extraordinary heroism and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty, at the cost of his life, were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Air Force

e:

holocaust bloopers posted:

Apparently someone has never heard of maintainers stationed/TDY at Guam tossing the gigantic loving frogs into engine exhaust only to watch them fly hundreds of yards.

Related

:lol:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 12, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Links are the same.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

:stare: The perfect smokescreen. This post should be removed for OPSEC before the enemy realizes that a dude loving a goat will distract are troops from any other activity going on in the area.

Well, unless that general from the "bomb the dude giving another dude a blowjob" story in the O_o thread is watching the feed, in which case the goat fucker will get a a hellfire for his heinous crime against the one true Lord.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

He didn't have a choice, it ran out of gas.

Sequestration truly is a bleak future.

Since we're posting DPRK MiG-21s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nKuoNhihh4

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ElMaligno posted:

"And put missiles on cutters too I guess"

That picture makes me :stare: every time I see it. IIRC from the last time you posted it the stress from mounting and firing the missiles did something screwy to the Mellon's structure/keel.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Because dick is great. So great that we wrote a book about it.

A book with pictures!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Veins McGee posted:

You say that like its a bad thing. Blanks are dirty and have minimal training value.

(click through for huge)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

This AF train have something to do with nukes?

Nope, coal train up at the Eielson power plant (also transporting other random poo poo around Eielson because the base is so big/dispersed).

Since you mentioned the (aborted, never deployed) Peacekeeper railway garrison car, though:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ripped0ff posted:

Edit:
Also, the CIA should "accidentally" kill a few Mossad agents every now and then.

:lol:

If the CIA tried this they would end up assassinating a Chinese agent, followed by getting their entire team killed.

Either that or they'd try to do it with a Pred and blow up half of Tel Aviv.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
All USAF intel officers should be required to give "assments" in the future. Much more accurate description of what they produce given their average quality of work.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Maybe whatever they did in Sri Lanka to destroy the Tamils

Be brutal as gently caress and not give a poo poo about collateral damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I had a strong suspicion of what this was before I clicked on it...and I was correct. :nms:

• Locked thread