Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Heyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

dat side mounted sidewinder :swoon:

The Corsair is extremely my poo poo. It was the first jet that I ever flew in those old Jane's PC game anthologies.

That's not a Corsair, it's a Crusader (even better), the last gunfighter.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Was that at the Mickie D's where the two journos got arrested?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
lol holy poo poo

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Were any of you forced to watch the verbal judo video? The only time I used its techniques were to annoy my LPO.

Uh that's Phoenix Raven G14 classified

mods?????

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC_IaY3BmY

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Just cramming loose stuff under there to avoid actually palletizing it.

lol

Man we crammed so much "stuff" (booze, coconuts, and half our luggage) in the GCS on our flight back from Hawaii for just that reason.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Good. The one time we took a C-17 was home from the desert. 100 something people and 4 pallets of gear, and it took over an hour to loving deplane after landing at Tinker. All told it was something like 4.5 hrs from wheels down to when people actually got to meet with their families.

hahahaha

was ATOC and/or the load retarded? Because I've downloaded a C-17 full of rolling stock in less time than that, and that included winching everything out.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The temperature in Saigon is 112 degrees and rising...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSUT8Inl14

I'm looking forward to this episode of American Experience, looks really well done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTWX-BB4aAA

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

IYAAYAS post the AWACS cart.

Godholio posted:

That'll work for now...can't find a good pic of the AWACS one yet. I did, however, find three pictures of myself on the wing's website.

Sorry, been out of the loop for a couple days:

I actually have it saved under the file name of "awacs clown car"

The fact that it's the Command Chief driving around the Wing King in that thing is just the icing on the cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEZi2xhufc

Chaff...CHAFF!!!!

That dude's preflight reminded me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vfGPGhH03Q

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Axolotl posted:

Are there any USN documentaries that are as brutally honest as the ones we've seen from the Brits and Russkies on here?

About the closest thing you'll get to that is a miniseries PBS did a few years back called Carrier, which is about life on board the Nimitz.

Tremblay posted:

Or materiel.

Or its budget.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

gfanikf posted:

Yes, he did.

Petty Officer (NCO), and yeah, he did.

The worst part is when they're interviewing her after the fact and she all but explicitly says she knows he raped her but that she isn't saying it wasn't consensual because "he's a good guy" and she doesn't want to ruin his career and maybe he had too much to drink and she probably said yes anyway because she was pretty drunk and...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Jonad posted:

why is the military so crazy about uniform and grooming standards and hands in pockets and poo poo when they let their vehicles look like a transformer that turns into a hobo camp instead of a robot

Those look like SAS dudes of some flavour (the uniform sort of looks British) so that has a lot to do with it

(those guys aren't so crazy about grooming standards and hands in pockets and poo poo, more so about doing cool stuff and killing bad guys)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Helldump Immunity. posted:

He'll make a fine, bitter ABM.

Nah, I see a fart filled trailer/room in Nevada or New Mexico in his future.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

iKon posted:

This is just stupid enough to probably actually be a thing. Is this a thing?

No.

However, the crew chief does perform a ridiculous looking "dance" during the launch process if the radio connection is poo poo (which it often is at some locations). Basically since the pilot isn't at the aircraft (obviously) the crew chief has to relay various pieces of info to him during the launch process, stuff like the control surface checks that on a fighter he could just look out and see. If the radio connection is poo poo the crew chief can't relay that via voice, so the crew chief utilizes hand signals that the pilot can see through the nose camera to communicate stuff like flaps down/up (and the rest of the control surface checks), nosewheel steering operating, cranking motor, etc. You can imagine how ridiculous some of the hand signals look.

There is one that looks vaguely like jerking someone off near your face...since we're talking about crew chiefs, that one generally gets turned into "full blown blowjob pantomime."

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I'd be so loving down for doing the job if it 1) didn't require me to spend another 4 years in a loving godawful desert full of garbage human beings and 2) wasn't a career killer

Creech isn't bad at all.

The other bases though, yeah, although I suppose Ellsworth isn't in the desert at least. Also gotta be down with shift work to fly RPAs (at least Pred/Reapers, I dunno how Global Chicken works).

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 30, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Some lady did a photoshoot with some cadets at West Point, and, uh, it sure is a thing:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Less or more gay than...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Genocide Tendency posted:

Someone at Boeing needs a pay raise.

But Im betting they got a written reprimand.

Why?

That's brilliant marketing and in both of them the message isn't "the MIC is stupid quit spending megabux on defense," it's "LockMart is especially retarded by defense contractor standards so shovel all those defense megabux Boeing's way."

Remember, Boeing isn't a sub on the JSF like they were on the Raptor.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mike-o posted:

Yeah, pretty sure the Israelis don't need drop tanks and conformal tanks combined to reach a target in Syria or Gaza.

Well, if we're talking F-16s...

:v:

Bacarruda posted:

Does Israel use tail retarding devices? They're :Vietnam: as gently caress, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_RM19hOMo4

Nobody uses those anymore, they got replaced by ballutes a while back. Of course no one uses those anymore either, only reason retard devices existed were to enable low altitude deliveries...and the only reason you needed low altitude delivery was to enable accurate weapons deliveries with dumb bombs.

Now with PGMs you can get better accuracy and hang out at 20K ft well out of the range of AAA and MANPADs.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Benagain posted:

Someone tell me what I'm looking at please?

Instrumentation box.

e: Basically what Godholio said.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I can write a list of the times that my mil job felt worthwhile:
--providing command and control for the rescue of 7 people on Haiti during the earthquake humanitarian efforts

Was this the SOUTHCOM dudes there TDY whose hotel fell on them during the actual earthquake?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

What I want to know is, who buys a GoPro to film their deployment or whatever, and when it comes time to pick the music just says "Eh, gently caress it: use the one from the GoPro commercial."

The video(s) that the 67th did for winning the Raytheon Trophy are retarded for a couple different reasons (mostly the first one) but at least the music is decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdAPP3Ac7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5WVjYLBVs

(yeah they could've used the original Bad Company but whatever it's still infinitely better than random not even good techno poo poo)

If you want good music the last Fighter Fling video is the gold standard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqyI04WDZlQ

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

It looks like an A-4 with a non-radar nose...did such a thing exist?

Also, this page loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

Yup, the plane as originally designed didn't have a radar on the original production run (A-4A and A-4B). Wasn't until the first major upgrade iteration (A-4C) that it got a radar:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Is he buzzing the tower or ditching?

Buzzing the tower. It was at the conclusion of a counter-sea exercise the BUFFs were running on the CVBG.

e: It's got a nose-down attitude because of the angle at which the BUFF's wings are set. Since it's got a bicycle gear as opposed to tricycle, it can't rotate in the traditional sense on takeoff...so in order to takeoff it "comes unstuck" and basically levitates off the ground thanks to the angle of incidence the wings are set at. The trade-off is that in level flight it rides at a slightly nose down attitude.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 14, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Crews working with the Navy used to request TACAN approaches to the carrier for funsies, but most didn't take it below the top deck. I haven't heard of anyone doing it in years though; probably a case of everyone wanting approval from three different bosses before they let you do something unusual.

That picture was from 1990, so yeah

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mustang posted:

Anyone know which battle Army SF and I believe Kurdish Peshmerga fought off an Iraqi armored division? iirc they just kept picking them off with javelins

Battle of Debecka Pass, here's a decent article the NYT did on it back in '03...it was more a reinforced company as opposed to a division.

I'm trying but failing to find a decent story on the engagement where SF called in an airstrike on an armored column, 1 BUFF dropped a couple CBU-105s and completely destroyed the entire column.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Yeah I've seen that video in a museum and it used to be on youtube but I don't know what happened to it.

I always liked the bit where the TACP was describing calling in the strike and then the aftermath.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

That looks like a band coat.

MrYenko posted:

Is that a legit new USAF uniform, or just a concept/trial?

It's the stupid "ceremonial uniform" that for some reason they developed for flag officers to wear at official functions. So yes, it's a legit USAF uniform...except we developed it just for flag officers to wear (and probably other similarly worthless people like the CMSAF as well.)

Thanks to the USAF I have Entry of the Gladiators pretty much playing in my head constantly because "clown show" is the only thing I can think about whenever the subject of the USAF gets brought up.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

The F-22 does it just because it can loving hold that position while the pilot points and laughs at the Flanker.

I know we're all a broken record on this but the Raptor's demo is the most insane thing I've ever seen an airplane do, period. The most mind blowing part is when it's done holding that position it just rotates forward while almost hovering in place and then just flies straight off like nothing had happened previous to that.

And as had been pointed out already the demo is just the top onion layer of how far ahead of everything else it is.

movax posted:

Am I the only one confused as to 2% of the population being AWACS-qualified?

What's the ratio of downies/other retards in the US population...

That's not nearly moto enough as my "stable; ready" tattoo that's tastefully adorned just above my cock.

actually laughed out loud irl at this

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

lightpole posted:

If you make it in the water, even if you are lucky enough to get a survival suit on, it's a matter of hours and a huge amount of luck for the CG to find you. They will redirect merchant ships if they can. Matson picked up an F 16 pilot who ditched last summer I think but that was summer and further south, in good conditions.

It was two summers ago, it was quite a ways further south (near the Kurils) and one other thing to add is that the pilot knew he was going to have to punch and had wingmen/a tanker dragging them across who were right there and could relay the downed pilot's position to rescue centers...and even then it still took over 6 hours for someone to get there to pick him up. The Pacific is a big place.

Also regarding AWACS and chutes, here's some old posts from holly bloops on the subject.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

movax posted:

To be fair, as awesome as the SR-71 is, recon satellites have advanced significantly vs their brethren around the time the SR-71 was operational -- and that's just public knowledge.

Yeah, a SR-71 is far more flexible since it is a manned aircraft and you can task it rapidly instead of waiting for a pass, but increase the number of recon satellites (or burn fuel) and you get near real-time data at basically 0 political risk of having to explain why a pilot is now dead/captured/missing.

Also we have this thing, which can be launched (relatively) rapidly to fill any gaps in satellite coverage...and can then stay up for the better part of a year.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Y means it was in testing, and F means fighter. The YF-12 was a loving interceptor variant.

Don't forget about the bomber design study Lockheed did.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mike-o posted:

I can't remember all the details, but the A-12 came first, then the YF-12 was the two-seater interceptor. The SR-71 was marginally based on the YF-12. I think they partially outed the existence of the A-12/YF-12 to cover up the brand new operations of the SR-71. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The A-12 was developed solely for the CIA under Project Oxcart in the late '50s/early '60s. It flew operationally for the CIA from '63 to '68, flying several sorties over North Vietnam as well as a couple over North Korea during the Pueblo incident. The YF-12 was developed for the USAF as a next-gen interceptor in the early '60s; it had its first flight in '63. The three YF-12 airframes were actually produced as part of the A-12's production run because Lockheed convinced the USAF that the YF-12 would be a relatively cheap fill-in for that mission after the XF-108 got cancelled. The SR-71 was developed for the USAF as an expanded/improved A-12; it had its first flight at the end of '64. As you can see from the timeline the YF-12 and SR-71 were kind of developed in parallel from the A-12, in separate efforts. The SR-71 actually conducted a fly-off with the A-12 in '67 to determine which program to leave in service. The decision was made that the SR-71 was the superior choice, despite being slightly lower performing (extra crewman and equipment) and slightly worse cameras...the increased flexibility brought on by the increased payload capacity, extra crewman, and ability to simultaneously collect IMINT and ELINT was judged superior. LBJ publicly acknowledged the YF-12 in '64, followed shortly thereafter by acknowledging the SR-71. The motivation was twofold: first, Goldwater had leveled charges against LBJ during the '64 campaign that LBJ was weak on defense. This was intended to address that. Second, by publicly acknowledging the YF-12 and SR-71 they were providing cover for the A-12. The YF-12 and SR-71 were both acknowledged as being still in development, so they were providing cover for the already operational but still covert A-12.

Also whoever was talking about Cheney forcing Lockheed to destroy all the tooling is about 25 years too late, McNamara forced them to destroy all that poo poo in '68.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah I have old-guy-fuzzy-dumb memory but wasn't Cheney responsible for the axe on parts and tooling of F-14's? ...or at least blamed for it?

He was the one who killed the program in the late '80s.

So yeah, he was responsible for destroying it, but it wasn't some vindictive "Congress cut your funding, but I'm going to make sure you stay dead by ordering your tooling melted down *evil laugh*." It was destroyed, but that was just a result of the production line shut down...like it is with most other aviation programs.

The spare parts and boneyard airframe destruction was much later, '07 timeframe...Cheney didn't have anything to do with that.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Only one full YF-12 survived the program. One was completely lost but the crew ejected safely. One's in a museum (Dayton?). The other was in a landing accident, but the rear half survived well enough to be mated to a static airframe's front half forming the only SR-71C, which is now parked about 3 miles from me.

Combined with the SR-71 that's also on display there I think that makes Dayton the only museum to have two Blackbirds on display.

fake edit: Forgot about Blackbird Airpark outside Plant 42 in Palmdale.

Real edit:

Two Finger posted:

to add to my next trip to the states where can i view a sr71?

There's a list on both of the wiki pages for the SR-71 and A-12...they're all over the country.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrYenko posted:

The National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola is one of the best aerospace museums in the United States, possibly the world, full stop. Equal to or better than the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum or any of the private collections.

Bonus hint: go in November for the better (read: cooler) weather, and the Blue Angels homecoming air show. (Free to the public.)

This man speaks the truth.

I've been there like 3 or 4 times and every time my mind is still blown that I can physically touch an airframe that was on the ground at Pearl Harbor and that flew in combat at Midway.

Also

Derek Dominoe posted:

I think most people go to the Eglin site to see The Bench.

lol

• Locked thread