Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
And basically what you do is watch youtube videos of stuff blowing up? You win at life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

On a semi-related note, I was reading a bit about the Tiran 5, and I'm genuinely curious how the Israelis managed to capture 400 intact tanks over the course of the Six-Day War. Were they facing the Keystone Kops?

The massive superiority of the IAF meant that Egyptian crews were fleeing their tanks on foot.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Rhodesian MRAP.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 16, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Veins McGee posted:

The RLI were pretty terrible at all aspects of counter-insurgency except the killing 'bad guys' part.

Also, the whole idea of reenacting the Bush War is pretty loving weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMrD53Jofc

Well, that was their job. Other units in the Rhodesian military had other tasks. The RLI and, later, the RAR, were doing fireforces and taking out ZANLA/ZIPRA cadres, while other units were infiltrating the organizations, gathering intelligence, patrolling the border, doing route clearance, etc.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I have read that the Rhodesian SAS, which was supposed to be responsible for most external attacks, was not really managed competently, in particular refusing to incorporate black troops, which was one of the major sources of success for other units like the Selous Scouts. By not incorporating blacks it became difficult or impossible to blend with the population.

There were a number of instances where Rhodesian forces took out major encampments of ZANLA. Those were mostly "body count" attacks but in fairness, when the body count is that huge (talking between 1,000 and 10,000) that is a major success in its own right. Rhodesian forces numbered about 20,000 men or so through the conflict I think.

Supposedly after the Chimoio raid, where ZANLA suffered about 8,000 casualties and the Rhodesians suffered 8, Mugabe was actually considering ending the conflict. Or so he (Mugabe) said.

There was another attack later where the Selous Scouts took about 80 guys and bunch of trucks, painted them in FRELIMO livery and wore FRELIMO uniforms, drove them into the middle of a ZANLA camp, and just shot everyone with machine guns, killing something like a thousand people. Yeah, they were pretty good at the killing thing.

South Africa donated more equipment than people. It loaned some old Alouette III helicopters. Also, when a ship carrying T-55 tanks for ZANLA accidentally docked in Durban, the South Africans sent the tanks to the Rhodesians. Remember that the Afrikaner National Party was, well, Afrikaner and the Rhodesians were of British descent primarily. There are multiple white ethnic groups in Southern Africa and historically the Afrikaners and British have had some bad blood. I think South Africa supported Rhodesia more for the fact that it didn't want to have to secure a longer border than for ideological reasons.

Angola's conflict was totally different. It was a civil war in which South Africa got involved because it was trying to secure what was then South-West Africa (now Namibia). Angola was abandoned by Portugal then and fighting was between the communist MPLA and anti-communist UNITA. South Africa supported UNITA, as did we.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BlueDiablo posted:

By waxing any blecks that came within sixty miles of their AO, naturally.

No.

The Selous Scouts infiltrated ZIPRA/ZANLA cadres and turned their members over to their side. They would blend with the local population to locate the enemy.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hispanic dudes in Che Guevara shirts

No lie, the Colombian military managed to connive their way into a FARC camp and extract hostages without conflict by wearing Che Guevara shirts from The Gap.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/02/AR2008070202502_2.html?sid=ST2008070202995

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Aside from lengthening the already impressive list of "things you can do with a C-130" (yeah, don't care if that's not a C-130 in the video, I'm sure you could do it with one). On a plane that can pick people up from the ground while in flight and land on an aircraft carrier, launching ICBMs fits right in.

e: to piggyback off the last post, are there any records of a C-130 with an air-to-air kill? If a Huey and an EF-111 have kills, I have to imagine a Herc has shot something down, somewhere.

I don't think the C-130 is big enough. I don't know if any of the C-130 information is classified, but according to Wikipedia the Minuteman is 78,000 pounds and the C-130J-30 can carry 44,000 pounds of payload.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Snowdens Secret posted:

Knockoff or not I want to know the story of the guy missing a leg and the kid next to him and how their plight is inevitably the fault of western imperialists

He lost his leg in the 1988 Iran Air shootdown.

It's more plausible than any story they'd come up with

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Presumably they thought the British would just capitulate.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Weren't the British inclined to just hand them over beforehand? Now the existence of a British colony on the Falklands is a symbol of their geopolitical muscle and they'll never give it up.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
A friend of mine is working on that stuff for NASA down in Pensacola right now. He's a computer science dude getting a crash course in control theory.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

ed:found out about this from a photo of a Sabre I saw in Valdosta two years back, I only wish this was a joke:

I have a friend whose father was with the State Department in Georgia circa 2007-2010 or so. He told me George W. Bush is pretty much revered there, since he sorta stood up for them against the Russians and actually visited there. They named some major avenue in Tbilisi after him. The Albanians loved him too for similar reasons, though Clinton laid much of the groundwork for that.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Is this Mike Sparks dude just some kind of super crazy armchair general? Is he notable for some reason other than being prolific with crazy ideas?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Are they painting planes with house paint? :wtc:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Please link me to an article published about the F-35 laser program in the last year.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
IDR left MARSOC to join make aliyah and join Shayetet 13.

e: weirdly reverse GIS is turning up nothing on those photos. I suppose he could have done the blurring himself and then they wouldn't get hits.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

I recognize that channel, isn't that the dude obsessed with the M113s?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What's that thing on the centerline hardpoint on the F-16CJ and why is that a single seater and not a two-seater?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Well, that was precise. :stare:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

God is so great, He just blew up a bunch of my friends! Were they saying that all the time in the Libya videos too, or is it just a Syrian thing?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
How much do SEALs actually use all that diving poo poo though? I would bet that's a large part of that training, whereas rangers are just doing infantry stuff day in/day out.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
They staged a man getting his foot blown off?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I recall reading that the T-72 autoloaders store the rounds in a ring under the floor of the turret so if you hit the turret ring they all detonate.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I guess that explains why they don't get dropped with the crews inside.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Can Hornets even hold enough gas to tank more than, say, one other plane?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Dead Reckoning posted:

I did a big effortpost about this in the Cold War thread, but the answer is: no, not really. It's useful in a few edge cases, but mostly it's a ridiculous idea in any sort of high-tempo operations.

In the same vein, wiki says that the payload of a V-22 is about 10 tons. Is that enough gas to be significant either?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I recall reading that the V-22 has had a very good safety record now that it's in service, in spite of problems during development.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Top google hit:

http://breakingdefense.com/2011/08/09/the-v-22-safer-than-helos-effective-worth-buying/

It's pretty well-written IMO. Basically it seems like not only is the aircraft fairly reliable, but the fact that it has a high ceiling and high speed means that it's less vulnerable to ground fire. Obviously that's not an issue in Japan though.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What's with everyone having a different kind of rifle?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Is that an F-106 in the upper right?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The bipod looks identical to the one on the US M2 mortar.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I would be less surprised if it's just a UHF antenna.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I have a friend who does airsoft...because he can't join the military, because he is diabetic :smith:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ugh, would not want to be on that crew. There's throwing track, there's breaking track, and then there's whatever the hell happened in that photo.

How do you recover that? My first thought--bear in mind I know very little about cars let alone tracked armored vehicles--would be to take that track completely off somehow, then winch the whole thing away with some kind of tow vehicle, then put it in a lift bay and put the track back on.

e: spelling :downs:

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 2, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ripped0ff posted:

This is exactly what I've been saying they need to do with Big Dog (or something like it). Take that, shrink the CROWS down some so it only mounts a 240, give it room to mount 4-6 rucks on the side, and a high power antenna for extra comms capability and long range remote control, and you have the perfect addition to every platoon. Make it controllable either by someone in the squad with a tablet or someone at the CP by remote, and it would be awesome.

When I was watching the big dog video, the first thing that crossed my mind is that it seems like it wouldn't be very useful on foot because it makes too much noise. Something being able to carry your packs and heavy weapons would be really incredible but not if you can hear it like a mile off.

As for shrinking the CROWS to 240 size, that exists.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Victor Vermis posted:

And then it'll get blown up by an ultralight with a speargun and a spool of 550 cord.

and it would unironically own

ripped0ff posted:

No joke, we should also have motorcycle/ATV based infantry. As in, one mounted scout platoon per brigade.

I've always wondered why horses aren't used for patrols in Afghanistan, so that you could go longer distances but stay off roads and avoid IEDs.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 3, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
IDR's unit had dirtbikes :laugh:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
From some angles it looks kinda sexy but the area around the lift fan makes it look weirdly bulky with straight lines where they should be tapered and curved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
A gas turbine would probably be the quietest option.

• Locked thread