Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A friend took this of me and some dudes wrecking the atmosphere.

On occasion I will bring my DSLR on flights. Sometimes I get cool photos. Mostly I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Airplane poo poo from earlier today.
E-3 touch n go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpFiBb9ud7M
E-3 is really loud -- brain bleed loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzDukBLoYU4
C-130 landing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC0_m6LE8f4

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey, Browning Moses, do you know anything of the Syrian military's weapons stockpile? Like are they close to running out of all the poo poo they need to wage combat?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

zinc68 posted:

OK, what the gently caress? That sniper is wearing a newish highschool sweater.. From Cooper (The Hawks), a highschool about 2 miles from my house here in Minnesota. How would that end up there?

I can explain this partly.

There's a very valid reason why you see US sports team apparel in third world nations. What happens is that all this merchandise is made when a team is riding high so if/when they have a bad spell, lose a big game (like an NFC division or Super bowl), all the apparel with XX TEAM WINS whatever gets donated to these countries.

Yours is most likely a weird one with how that sweater got out there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Casimir Radon posted:

Well that sounds a lot like AFEF.

That forum is the absolute loving worst.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

Obviously you never read it, that poo poo was hilarious and one of the best things posted in GiP.

Is it in archives?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Money Mike and poo poo. yea, good times.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Because you'll shoot bees everywhere, god.

Apparently someone has never heard of maintainers stationed/TDY at Guam tossing the gigantic loving frogs into engine exhaust only to watch them fly hundreds of yards.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
on-base lodging has witnessed so much beatiful young love

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I'm absolutely certain that the pilot was ordered to accelerate fast enough to fly the nose wheel off the ground then promptly put it back down and stop the Mig-21 for this photo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ron Jeremy posted:

There was a pretty good comment on reddit from a photographer noting that most of the change expressed in these photos was due to lighting tricks.

Photography is just like any creative outlet where it's done to achieve a goal. You pretty much have to assume any photo published in a magazine or on journalistic website is very likely to have been manipulated in some way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Not sure how I managed to mix up this thread with the Threat/lies thread but oh well.

Edit: Why don't they mount that radar crap the luxury cars have so that you can tell when someone is walking around your tank?

Probably because no defense contractor has found a way to make such a system massively expensive.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's the movie where a man was fed into a wood chipper. I remember nothing else from that flick.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Holy poo poo that is a cool rear end photo.

I'm sad man. My last flight ever on the AWACS is this week. I give that jet a lot of poo poo but I will miss flying on it. Me and the 707 are tight.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

Amen, as much as I slagged on JSTARS/AWACS, they always brought me home with all my body parts intact.

bird cage :3:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

This was at GK (I was a lucky NATO baby) but it's still :3:

I saw darkness and a bunch of awacs. Had flashbacks to 0330 shows.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just landed several hours ago from my last flight on the E-3. Here's a photo of us loving around near Mt. McKinley.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've heard several things why the fleet hasn't gotten those engines. Most of them tie back to money. The CFM56 isn't a huge difference in power vs the TF-33A's we run. What you get is improved fuel burn to the tune of saving ~3k an hour. Basically the USAF has a massive inventory of TF-33's so when the motors go bad, it's not a problem pulling one out. You're also talking about that if the fleet ever does get re-engined, performance data needs to be re-accomplished which is a huge expense. Us getting electronic data programs took years plus millions of dollars. Not to mention that the airframe hasn't been stressed for the engine as well in terms of its power output and such. Common sense says that if an utterly similar airframe like the KC-135R can operate it well, so can we.

I guess how the USAF sees is that the upgrade isn't worth the cost when there's other poo poo that needs cash thrown at it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cross post from drunk thread.

War hero dog.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
War hero dog deserves all the pets.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Went to the FARC for the women; stayed because there's an AK-47 pointed at my head.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That guy is just happy to leave his desk for once. I'm OK with his horrible attempt to hop a fence.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

The best part of Credible Sport is that technically it would've worked (albeit with some insanely small safety margins); the failure during the test was due to the flight engineer (insert joke about FEs here) getting confused.

Insert story of when my hilarious mistake almost led to the crash of an AWACS.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

The failure to reset rudder trim on the three engine touch and go or something else?

I was trying to find a funny AWACS picture but I don't think I can do any better than this.

Yea. All other mistakes just hurt my pride.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

What happened to the LT?

Real talk -- dude got assigned to fly UAVs. The aircraft commander and flight engineer both returned to flying status after a bit of time. The navigator never flew again. Funnily enough, the nav was at the wing safety building over at Nellis with the crew to go over some poo poo or whatever. A 40 pound plaque fell off the wall and hit her squarely in the head. She wasn't having a great time at Vegas.

The Lt landed the jet hard, bounced, and didn't initiate a go-around for what's called a "high, hard bounce." Instead he nosed the jet into the runway which collapsed the nose gear. The ensuing shower of sparks and collision busted a hydraulic line in the nose gear wheel well so that's where the fire developed.

Anyhow, I'd like to expand more on this mishap, but I am unsure of what is safety-privileged so for now I'll have to refrain. Maybe later I'll go track down the AIB findings for this.

And there is no debate over landing solidly on the AWACs. It does help with braking because the more weight on the wheels means that braking is effective. Boeing did up a real nice spiel about this in the dash 1 which I don't have currently. A lot of experienced pilots will plant the jet a bit more firmly on slick or snowed runways because of this.

bloops fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 28, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Balls 8 was a piece of poo poo anyway. Jet had serious electrical systems issues on the reg.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
hahaha oh god I remember seeing that uniform being worn around Hurlburt Field back in 2004. poo poo was horrific looking.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:nms:

Mil-contracted 747 crash from yesterday. It's pretty goddamn grim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo51Be2jL8c

bloops fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 30, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

monkeytennis posted:

Christ that is quite raw. Those poor guys, wonder what went wrong? RIP.

Aircraft obviously stalled. The question is what caused it to stall. Pilots are taught to nose over the airplane, throttle up, and let the airspeed build up. If it were the autopilot flying the jet, it would've pitched up to keep the rate of climb consistent to what was programmed into the FMS. It's unlikely the autopilot had the aircraft though. The landing gear being down is indicative that the pilots weren't getting a positive rate of climb that would tell them to clean up the aircraft.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like the cargo load that slid rearward causing a drastic change in center of gravity.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

front wing flexing posted:

Was it just cargo or did it carry passengers too :ohdear:

Condolences to the crew. Very sad.

7 crew members and cargo. Word is that the pilots were reporting that the cargo shifted.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Snowdens Secret posted:

There anything you can do at that point or is the trim too hosed? Shift fuel, anything?

The short of it is, no. Once the CG gets to the point where the aircraft literally stands on its tail that close to the ground, you're hosed. You need two things to safely recover an emergency aircraft--airspeed and altitude. You can trade one for the other. Problem is, during takeoff, you can't just nose over to gain airspeed what with being so close to the ground. Takeoff data is predicated on a loss of engine so if the guy were in a 3-engine scenario, they'd be fine. Boeing assures you of that when the data checks out. It doesn't take in account of a massive load shifting. If this was proven to be the cause, these guys had no chance to recover that close to terrain.

One more thing comes to mind - there is now an unsecured load sliding backwards in a pitch up so when you nose over, the load is going to move forward causing yet another dramatic change in cg. :smith:

bloops fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 30, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Christoff posted:

It's just terrifying to even watch. The way it just stops still in the air.

Do they always just burst into flames instantly like that?

When you're loaded with 100K+ of JP-8, yea.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bob A Feet posted:

I fly a T6 that carries 1k lbs of jp5. I just can't imagine 100k lbs of fuel. So I'm guessing shift load that forced into a stalled aoa and kept it there?

If it was a load shift, the cargo slid backwards at rotation which got the jet to stand on its tail into a stall then when the jet nosed over, the load shifted forward which pretty much just sealed their fate right there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Those are some real cute planes. Here's what a big swingin' cock of a jet looks like.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:fap: :fap: :fap:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
3F Rule oughta post stories from his A-10 days. I'd read the poo poo out of them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Note the lack of PDS antennae. Eat a dick, HDI.

awacs crew represent y'all

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
lol a lot of AWACS haters here!!!

I hate awacs

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's eerily accurate to AIDS CURES FAGGOTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Booblord Zagats posted:

MAGTAF still better than the entire Air Force

SOURCE!

Holy poo poo wtf Air Force.

• Locked thread