Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Public relations. I doubt the thing ever runs, but its a giant metaphor for the "WAR on drugs."

Ineffective, ham-handed, and extremely expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Big city and government agency SWAT teams had(have?) high standards, but now every podunk town and sheriff's department has a team, financed by that sweet, sweet DHS money.

Pic Unrelated:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Question: Why don't they issue emergency parachutes to aircrew anymore?

Every WWII photo shows aircrew walking around carrying an emergency chute either in their hand or hanging behind their rear end, why was this practice stopped?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dude looks like rick moranis, but is actually a founding member of delta. :stare:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It's ok, the shot @ 0:15 shows he's wearing lab safety goggles. :science:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Whether or not the M113 is a good vehicle has nothing at all to do with the fact that Mike Sparks is a loving whackjob. He's also seriously, schizophrenically obsessed with the M113 and has been waging a campaign on the internet to make people call it the Gavin.

Hahaha. Oh wow. That page has a little plastic model of a JSF with underwing pods that carry people. And it isn't even close to the craziest thing on the page.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Looks like a Ruger MKII or other .22 LR pistol. I assume it is for killing dogs or other animals. :smith:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

Which is also pretty :psyduck: (also lol "capable")

Pakistan is a third world country in every way that matters, why the gently caress do they have nukes?

Because India does too.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

FATWOLF posted:

even older school:

I think they need more jerrycans on those jeeps.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

:stare: context please?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thanks for the serious answer. I have never seen or heard of that show.

Makes sense it was in the 90s though. People really went apeshit back then over the whole meninblack government conspiracy thing.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Air intake filters. Keeps sand and dust out of the turbines.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They are also Russian export model tanks. Which makes them twice the deathtrap.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I ain't no Brown Moses, but the T-72 there has what looks like a bunch of bricks on the turret, but not enough on the body to be at T-72B.

Syria is listed as having bought 1600 of the base model, and probably bought reactive armor upgrade kits from whomever was willing to sell.

Regardless, they were monkey models. The Russians didn't give out bleeding edge stuff, even to their closest allies.

EDIT: Hurrr. Should have just checked wikipedia. It lits the Syrian army using the T72-M1M. Which is an upgraded export model. Still a deathtrap.

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 28, 2013

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Uncle Badass himself posted:

In April of 1980, I participated in Operation Eagle Claw, the Iran Hostage Rescue Attempt. I was aboard the EC-130E Bladder Bird #4 at Desert One when we were hit by RH-53D helicopter #3.

Holy. gently caress. :stare:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I can't even tell that's a head. I suppose though he was standing where you weren't supposed to when that jet came in to land/takeoff.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

You should have posted the previous paragraph from that wikipedia page:

quote:

A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 64 km/h (40 mph), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 40 km/h (25 mph), the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground." [1]

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That thing is the machine of nightmares. A nuclear powered, nuclear bomb dropping cruise missile. You think ICBM/ABM political balance are bad, think how hosed stability would get if someone deployed something like that.

It would have been the first combat drone. Only it carried the (at the time) equivalent of an entire SSBN in nuclear warheads. Burning nuclear-powered laps in the sky until someone gave it the go order.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The X-32 was even worse for the STOVL/VTOL idea than the 35, but looks way cooler. Kinda wish it had won.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

James Garfield, because he didn't have time to make any.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I doubt he was delivering mail. With that background, he was probably a Postal Inspector.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It's still well under a minute.

1:20 and they are already gone. It takes another minute for nearby bystanders to show up and go "WTF happened?"

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

So is this the first time CAG/Delta operations have been caught on video?

There's a bunch of photos floating around from memoirs, the guys in hockey helmets w/ the 101st besieging Uday and Qusay, and I think one from Gothic Serpent.

This is the first video. Not that you can really see much.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Found one from even earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-UCFBS4a5I

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

There were 32 built, not including the 3 prototype YF-12s, and the CIA A-12s. Cold war black reconnaissance budgets make it rain.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

So that is where all the money for the F-35 is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That was the 80s. Now they send Divisions via snapchat and instagram.

Pic unrelated:

• Locked thread