Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Veins McGee posted:

Yeah, but in common parlance, Haji isn't used as a term of respect for people who have completed the Hajj.

Somewhere on Rt Mobile or Michigan in 2008, probably near Korean Village.

That's probably michigan since mobile was more well-maintained, and I think had 3 lanes going each way. Those guard rails are gone for 2 reasons: 1) Iraqis loved stealing them and selling them for scrap, 2) For a while there, a lot of small IEDs were emplaced behind guard rails. They wouldn't do a thing to our modern up-armored vics, but against the thin-skin and bolt-on HMMWVs we had back then, they could mess guys up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Saw this at the outprocessing center in Manas

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

This is going to sound dumb as hell, but for whatever reason old B&W photos never feel real to me. Like, it's old, this happened in history. But when they're colored it's like woah. These are real people and places.

It's funny, but I had the exact same reaction.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is what Al Gore sees in his night terrors.

in other news, I saw this walking into the BX today:

Looks like our old friend Sgt Chowdown is still employed.

Yo someone crop out our friend Mustafa bin-Chowdown and I will totally use it as an AV

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
There are still some guys using that from the great Dunson/Chowdown war and I dont wanna look like a poser

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I don't remember what dimensions are allowed but here's a 200x180~ that you can further resize in paint or something.

E: Nevermind, here's 125x113~.

Allahu ackbar

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

There is no way that hotdog he lusts after is halal.

Mohammed

PBUH

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

iyaayas01 posted:

It's been EIGHT YEARS since there hasn't been a Spectre gunship forward deployed somewhere in the world.

Looks like someone finally got their killstreak interrupted.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

HIT "LIKE" AND SHARE IF THIS REALLY MADE YOU THINK!!!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

iceslice posted:

I don't know why it doesn't want to show images for me but here are some awesome links to awesome guys doing awesome stuff:

http://imgur.com/Byftbze
http://imgur.com/cv4gt3n

Yo mang when are you graduating?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Dilettante. posted:

Heroes of the Crimean War, by Joseph Cundall, 1856 :britain:

Dude with the axe is the coolest

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

GD_American posted:

It probably stopped them penetrating, but I can only imagine the mush that .44 round would have turned a ribcage into.

gently caress, my chest hurts thinking about that.

Didnt the owner of Point Blank Inc. do this very test on himself?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

8lbsofanalsex posted:

Interesting account of a ranger mission in Afghanistan from 09. I did backside intel support for this one.

http://sofrep.com/16779/against-all-odds/

http://sofrep.com/17390/rangers-against-all-odds-2/

This poo poo is nuts

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
He killed Mitt Romney's political career

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have heard that, up until a few years ago, some 75th Rangers still sported shirts saying "Thank God for the swim test!"

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The syrian rebels, bless their freedom-loving hearts, make some really retarded looking weapons

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
In all fairness, a lot of that footage is from 2007. The ANA has improved a lot since then.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This made my day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbXCoggHoaQ

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

nope. Not watching this.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Kind of a cool Memorial Day video courtesy of Crye Precision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDF5m-vZ0_8

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Dead Reckoning posted:

We really should bring back napalm. Maybe for just one day a year, like throwback uniform night at the ballpark.

Believe it or not, napalm is still in the US inventory. I was talking to a pilot a long time ago, and he told me a story about a time they wanted to use napalm to clear out the vegetation on this island in the middle of the Euphrates (Iraq, of course). Their request had to be routed up to a two or three-star level for approval, I believe, and took around two weeks. So hey, it can still happen!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

This is rad as hell

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

Near done with the first episode. Hahaha Afghanistan is so hosed. The guys I spoke with that did the USAF air advisor gig had basically said that we cannot interface with them just because of how hosed up their culture is. No amount of money or effort will get anyone anywhere when we just can't figure each other out.

That's not entirely true. You can train the ANA and get them to do things, it just takes a LOT of rapport-building. You need to understand that Afghans place a TON of emphasis on personal relationships, moreso than business or professional relationships. They're more likely to do stuff for you if they figure you're their buddy than their trainer or whatever. You also have to figure that some of these guys have seen an unending rotation of Americans coming through year-after-year to train them, and they know that as soon as you're gone, there will be some other dude who will come along and tell them what to do. So how do you build a relationship when it's most likely going to be fleeting? You find common ground and build rapport off of that. Show them that you give a gently caress. Show them that you care about their "hosed up culture". Hell, email them or send letters. They love that stuff! And the guy who comes after you can borrow some of that good rapport by claiming to know you and work with you.

It takes a bit of unconventional thinking, but you CAN get the ANA to do stuff.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I've also heard that the ANP is its own unique brand of hosed

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

A really awesome photo of the F-35.

That looks like some still frame from a movie

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I did exactly one mission with SOF ever.

All it really was was cover for a source meet they wanted to do, and they just needed a Marine who could run (or pretend the run) the BATS machine and make a show of not being able to read a guy's fingerprints and/or irises. I scanned a whole construction site full of iraqis while complaining about "the poo poo's not working" and "what's the deal with this crap?". Meanwhile, a bunch of SEALs stood around and pulled security, and intel got to talk to a particular guy whom I claimed came up on BATS as being a suspect. Basically, I had to pretend to be a bonehead who couldn't use some semi-complicated technology so they could talk to an iraqi about something. LAMEST OP EVER.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Snowdens Secret posted:

Those pictures suck

:stare:
:stare::fh:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

:911: indeed

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

ded posted:

Could have sworn I saw this video a few years ago and it was brits that they were attacking not marines.

Nah, I was in country when this video came out. It was a big deal and made the rounds on SIPR before hitting the regular networks. I vaguely remember the nearest city started with a 'D'. Dulab, I think.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

these are the only kinds of moto videos that aren't insanely gay

jets loving rule

i'm 5

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

fuckin stolen valor

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Carteret posted:

Everywhere is better than Cherry Point.

29 Palms isn't.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Married twice and both of em got cancer? Should've gotten a refund at the wife store

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

ArchangeI posted:

It could be worse, they could be Hornets.

Nice

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Just out of curiosity dude, where do you get all of these photos from? I thought you got kicked out for failing PT tests.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Redacted

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 6, 2014

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

I loving lvoe planes

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
a delta guy bummed a smoke from me once so now I can say that I supported Tier 1 SOF. AMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

justice4trayvawn posted:

apparently harley loving sucks at it tho lol
:captainpop:

• Locked thread