Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iceslice
May 20, 2005
That's custom camouflage. My kit looks like its from WWII with tiger stripes of ash and dried sweat. I never wanted to wash it because it was far more effective then the clean ACU pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Carteret posted:

loving Chemical Corps. :doh:

I feel like running one of those for 60 seconds would cancel out the entire "Carbon cleanup" budget of the US.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

front wing flexing posted:

heat sinks, lubrication and software optimization also

I just imagine some E2 squirting like 3,000 gallons of Arctic Silver 5 down the barrel between shots.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

I don't know why it doesn't want to show images for me but here are some awesome links to awesome guys doing awesome stuff:

http://imgur.com/Byftbze
http://imgur.com/cv4gt3n

iceslice fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 29, 2013

iceslice
May 20, 2005

genderstomper58 posted:

He already did! :)

Woot Woot! PCSing in the next few months.

To stay on topic there are a few more images from GQ floating around, and between all of them I've spotted a few current instructors in the course. I know they've gotten a lot of poo poo for it, but the pictures didn't turn out bad and they're in a half-way decent magazine.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 29, 2013

iceslice
May 20, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

Is that guy in the tux Sergeant Forum? It looks just like him.

Google image search them, you'll find more. One of them has a list of names on it.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Kick-Puncher posted:

Rumor is that that guy is kind of a douche. As in smoking the 18x that had just passed selection until they were heat casualties.

All I'll say is that early parts of the Q, especially for xrays, is a matter of being smart and fit enough to survive.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Look at their blouses! Those weapon systems must be antiques!

iceslice
May 20, 2005

My favorite parts are the bloused boots, as if that's tactical, and the XXXXS body armor that doesn't even have plates or anything in or on them. "I'll just wear it because it looks cool." I wonder if he is wearing the sunglasses indoors because he is afraid of ruining his eyes from all the flashlights.

Oh and no gloves. Amateur.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Holy poo poo that gave me a solid 30 second flashback to reception. Man was that an awkward place. "SHH SHHHH STOP TALKING SHHHHH"

iceslice
May 20, 2005

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The goat peeking around the back really makes that photo.

I'm not a big meme person, but the only way to describe my reaction after reading what you posted and then scrolling back up is "Can no unsee!" Awesome.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Where did you get that photo?

iceslice
May 20, 2005

BaconAndBullets posted:

Apparently that was an ANA/ANP attached to a SOF team and he got his AK shot by the guy who's house they were raiding. He reacted by running away (not like you can do much else when your only weapon system is disabled) and was shot in the back and killed.

Aside from that, the video is a pretty sweet first person view of room clearing in Afghanistan, gotta be pretty old since the cameraman is using a PEQ-2 laser from what I remember.

He also has what looks like an old M68 optic. There are a lot of really badass parts of that video. He stacks right up on top of that ANA guy and drives him into the room. His aggression level straight to 10 when he starts chasing his threat and then back to a 1 when he identifies no threats in the room. I don't know about you, but being able to recognize someone isn't being defiant but instead just doesn't understand English, and then switching to pointy-talky immediately after being shot at, all while giving a sitrep is pretty badass.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 5, 2013

iceslice
May 20, 2005
This thread rocks. Please post more SF pictures, especially old ones. They are almost always really cool.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Pretty accurate from my experience. SF are still chill dudes, but they might lean towards the seal fuckups with all the 18X kids coming in. Saw one of their new kids lifting up his shirt and flexing his abs in the mirror between sets at the gym, then later heard about him leaving a KYK-13 laying on a rucksack outside for several hours before someone spotted it.

Going to jump in here share my opinion: There are no more 18X today then there were 10 years ago. The pass rate, and amount of guys on teams is nearly the same, and the 18X who joined 10 years ago are getting looked at and picking up E-8 and team sergeant slots by now. From my experience maturity, accountability, dependability, and intelligence are independent of how you landed the job you have. The skill sets brought in by an E6 in the infantry are different then the ones brought in by an 18X, but everyone has a steep learning curve when they start out on a team and are going to be equally messed up.

The difference is that guys who came in as 18X have a title, just like National Guard, that people can throw them under when they make mistakes. The same thing happens to units in the media. If you're a SF Group support guy and you get in trouble in town, its not "a Soldier" its a "Special Forces Soldier," even if they don't have a tab.

There are no doubt plenty of idiots that make the 18X program look bad, but I would say almost all of them are booted from the program and don't make it. They're the ones running around the regular Army telling everyone they are a badass 18X.

edit: SEALs are 200lbs of pure badass, gunfighting, diving, flying children. If you don't keep them occupied they'll burn your house down before you realize they got bored. The Rangers that I've worked with are the same, except they actually are 19 years old so its cool to be immature and crazy. The discipline of the unit is structured for it.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 27, 2013

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Yo is his muzzle painted blue? That'd be siiiick.

Kinda reminds me a lil of my purple A4 :whatup:
realize this a M4 but my A4's lower was the same pretty color:ssh:

Seriously all I see in that picture is that dirt rear end stache. I'm as far from "SGM UNIFORM HOOAH" as you get, and I think they should be seriously outlawed. The only exception is when you have so much rank and badassness (pilot, or crusty old warrant/SGM) that you can rock a totally out of regs stache of pure respect. Anything short of giving the Army regs the bird and you just look like a pedophile.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

11b1p posted:

PONCHO LINER

Its a wubby. If you wanna be a pro, go get yours sewn up with a zipper or snaps. Makes a perfect sleeping bag for the kids, or just a blanket to keep you warm.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

ISIL movie flames of war just came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiDf7rDIR_k

Some dead guys so far, and mission accomplished. Kinda wanna do a GIP movie night.

Already down. Anyone have a good link?

iceslice
May 20, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

No because the Coast Guard would look like bigger dorks. I mean look at this guy:

The funny part is that SOF uses almost all of the same gear (except that garbage optic), it's just tactical painted instead of black and blue.

terrez posted:

Guys I'm having a crisis here, do I wear my white oakleys while driving my jeep to the beach or when I go airsoffin :pusheen:

I ripped out with a team who had a dude who only wore white oakleys. He looked so ridiculous, and you could spot him from like 3k away.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Chinatown posted:

I assume that's a SWAT team.

They are wearing mil flags (backwards). My guess is rangers because their kit is all uniform.

Edit: http://www.dvidshub.net/image/1182386/army-rangers-multilateral-airborne-training#.VCcdQeeppcw

iceslice fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 27, 2014

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

To blend in with russians.

This is mostly the answer. Except replace Russians with whatever unit they're working with. The rest of it because they can wear whatever the gently caress they want, so they do.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

The best part of that video is after where you can just hear them shooting PKM and DSHKA tracers at each other, or the blast site. There really isn't anything like that noise.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

Is Recon really SF? I mean, I know a few, and all I ever saw them as when we would fly them anywhere was "Infantry with better gear". The SEAL guys we got to work with for a few days were loving badass and everything about them screamed "Killing Machine", but the recon guys just screamed "Moto-Shirt" to me

Lets get pedantic for a second: SF in the military world means Special Forces, specifically referring to United States Army Special Forces aka Green Berets. They're part of one of the Special Forces Groups, and wear a long tab. SOF, or Special Operations Forces, is the term used to refer to all of SOCOM's subordinate units and their members. For example, Marine Recon is a "SOC" (straight off wiki), meaning they're a Special Operations Capable unit. All the talk about CAG, SEALS, SF, etc is about "SOF." When you hear someone talking about in the non-military realm (like the news) you're going to hear Special Forces, which unless they qualify with "US Army" first, is referring to one of the many SOF units.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 24, 2014

iceslice
May 20, 2005

If someone made an A-10 stuffed toy I'd cuddle with it every night, and fly it around the house doing gun runs on the cat before I went to bed.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Pretty baller after they worked the bugs out. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gXfK4ypirI

"Run way is too short, solutions?"

"Lets put rockets on it."

"Solved."

C-130s are generally awesome. One that can lift off in under 150' is just bananas.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Zeris posted:

The fact they planned to use a soccer stadium to land & take off is kind of insane and awesome.

If you haven't read any of the books about the proposed program, it's really good. The lessons learned are the foundation of today's modern SOCOM/JSOC. A lot of stuff is done this way because that poo poo was so upside-down.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

There are 3 things going on in this picture: First, the antenna re-locator kit relocates the antenna to the position immediately above the MBITR. Neat. Second, there's like $50 in adapters routing the line back up, before it comes back down to the radio itself. I know this because I've found my self with an awkward adapter, and can never find the simple 1-step to get to what I'm trying to connect to. Eventually it turns into that mess right there. Finally (and most pedantically), no one uses the freqs for that antenna. Unless they're cops, and then maybe.

God those guys are such nerds.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

im in the wrong business

Holy poo poo. That's not even the maritime one, which has some gay huge metal thingy on it where you connect your mic. Its too bad I can't go online and buy the equivalent of a 152 that is the size of a Motorola. Them shits are heavy as gently caress, especially when you're rocking two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005
When that vid was posted I remember hearing it was a 5th GRP guy doing his JM training runs, and he turned out fine. My favorite is the posture of the guy standing next to him, as if he said "did that really just happen?"

• Locked thread