Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
In the Brunt and Fringe at war challenge I had a mission to kill an Overlord that was located in a dimensional pocket.

Any idea how you get to the dimensional pocket?

It's a dog eat dog universe.

Giant pods are rather giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Largepotato posted:

Giant pods are rather giant.

Christ, it looks like a massive, diseased space turd. Yeah, time to get off Apera guys.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I was wondering about the Overload/Dimensional Pocket thing too. I had it crop up during the Mutants challenge and couldn't figure it out. Scoured the sector for wormholes an anomolies with no luck. I also focused on killing bosses because you'd get "Overlord has sent boss X to system Y" quests and wound up getting a Legend victory, thinking that maybe you had to kill its minions to get it to show up but that didn't work either.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

ihatepants posted:

Does anyone know if the technology that you can trade carries over to new games?

This is a good question. I'll try to keep the next tech I find in my cargo. Could give you a good early game bargaining chip for the next sector.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I bought this game, flew around for 30 minutes occasionally pressing '1' until the bad ships exploded, and then I quit. One time I docked at a place and bought some things with bigger numbers than the things I had but I didn't really know what anything did. I couldn't ever figure out if I was supposed to be like the leader of my race or my entire race or just a member of my race or what. I don't need my hand held, but like being able to mouse-over the racial stat bonuses at the beginning to figure out what the gently caress they meant would have been helpful. Also, the light/medium/heavy system seems clunky to me. Why not have different things take up a different amount of "hull slots" or something? Then you could use color coding for item rarity instead. Or is that system even needed in addition to a power management system?

I love sand-boxy games and space games and sand-boxy space games, but I did not like this game.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, you won't like this game unless you happen to like diablo style games. For all of it's space and sandbox, a lot of it is just diablo in space.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Rabbi posted:

I bought this game, flew around for 30 minutes occasionally pressing '1' until the bad ships exploded, and then I quit. One time I docked at a place and bought some things with bigger numbers than the things I had but I didn't really know what anything did. I couldn't ever figure out if I was supposed to be like the leader of my race or my entire race or just a member of my race or what. I don't need my hand held, but like being able to mouse-over the racial stat bonuses at the beginning to figure out what the gently caress they meant would have been helpful. Also, the light/medium/heavy system seems clunky to me. Why not have different things take up a different amount of "hull slots" or something? Then you could use color coding for item rarity instead. Or is that system even needed in addition to a power management system?

I love sand-boxy games and space games and sand-boxy space games, but I did not like this game.

If you're willing to give it another try, start out your system with the other races in early expansion or established mode. There's a ton more poo poo going on in the background to get involved in and the game got significantly more interesting when I switched that setting.

But yeah, this game certainly isn't for everyone. I played during the beta and had pretty much the same reaction you did though I forced myself to play longer so the money didn't feel wasted. I've played it a decent bit more since release but still it's only a sometimes game for when I'm feeling it. Only completed 2 galaxies and started on a third so far.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

InterFaced posted:

This is a good question. I'll try to keep the next tech I find in my cargo. Could give you a good early game bargaining chip for the next sector.

After playing a couple more games, I have a feeling it doesn't really matter. Because your new game will likely be a higher level than when you started the last game, so anything you find in one sector will be too low of a tech level to matter to the races in the new one anyway.

Sir Neckbeard
Jan 1, 2010
That hard to see blue wormhole thing on the left is a pocket dimension. They usually have derelict ships in them. I thought it was just some background art but clicked one by accident.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Jesus. The first time I saw one of those I tried flying over it and nothing happened so I assumed it was background. I would have never found that since I don't use the mouse to move. Thanks.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Internet Friend posted:

Jesus. The first time I saw one of those I tried flying over it and nothing happened so I assumed it was background. I would have never found that since I don't use the mouse to move. Thanks.

Same here. So was this finer point covered in the tutorial/help messages? This is the second sort of important thing that I had no idea about until reading about it here. (the first was having to "use" the tech items to actually gain the tech for trade)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Rabbi posted:

This game starts very slow. Combat can really drag until you get AOE weapons and the game in general is slow until you are able to keep your speed at 200 pretty much all the time.

Give it a go till at least lvl 15, try to play around with bombs, mines and fighters to see if they make it a bit more fun.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The achievement 'Only Human' is one I don't want - it would be more of an achievement to not have it as long as you could, right?

It's cool how they did that.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Rabbi posted:

The real attraction here is emergent gameplay which comes through the AI interactions between the different races and champion monsters. It's still space diablo, but the background context is going to differ slightly every time, which is a boon to anyone jaded by meph runs or whatever.

There are a lot of weaponry options available, and there's half a million active and passive utility items. You can also reverse basic outfit design through for example using low or med slot power components and thrusters to free up heavies for more weaponry or fighter bays.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
loving veteran bounty hunters, they move so fast and do so much damage.

Do you guys just run the gently caress away like me (and still die) or... ? They slice through my armor like nothing.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My Drakk ship with its cloud of bees kills them alright.

I just run away spamming health & shield regens while the bees pick it apart.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Largepotato posted:

My Drakk ship with its cloud of bees kills them alright.

I just run away spamming health & shield regens while the bees pick it apart.

I haven't tried bees yet. I keep restarting and have about 8 different ships that have completed one or two sectors each.

I really love getting in early alliances with the Dryad because they get allied with everyone else, and if any race gets pissy and declares war on me, the entire rest of the galaxy then declares war on them through a chain alliances and mutual-protection treaties.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Oh god, you stupid humies! I've been in a three way alliance with the Humans and Dryads since the beginning of the game and all of a sudden the Humans declare war on the Dryads despite still liking them in the relationship screen. I keep convincing them to make peace but it only lasts about 30 seconds before one of the declares war again.

They share so many systems! This is going to be a nightmare of a war.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Farquar posted:

Oh god, you stupid humies! I've been in a three way alliance with the Humans and Dryads since the beginning of the game and all of a sudden the Humans declare war on the Dryads despite still liking them in the relationship screen. I keep convincing them to make peace but it only lasts about 30 seconds before one of the declares war again.

They share so many systems! This is going to be a nightmare of a war.

Those are the best kind. :black101:

Except that since the Dyrad are one of the two sides in that war, you know that about half-way to mutual annihilation, right about the point that you have irremediably destroyed your relationship with whatever faction you didn't side with, they are going to make nice and end up in an alliance together again.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

My last game I watched 2 alliances collapse into total annihilation.

Humans: 22 planets - > 4. (3 by end game as 1 got taken out by mobs)
Utopian: 18 planets -> 0.

Hive: 27 planets -> 3.
Shadow: 20 planets ->0.

So I did the only thing I could - allied with Humans, wiped out Hive. War victory.

I felt kinda bad, 80+ planet sector down to 3 planets = Victory!

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

loving veteran bounty hunters, they move so fast and do so much damage.

Do you guys just run the gently caress away like me (and still die) or... ? They slice through my armor like nothing.

I went into the game files and nerfed them. gently caress veteran bounty hunters. I'm level 39 with 47% thermal damage reduction and they still explode me in a matter of seconds.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Picked this up over the weekend, and am really enjoying it so far. It dfeinitely has that 'one more quest' factor, and then you look down and realise you've been playing for 3 hours.

Still early on at this stage, but drat are Tornadoes annoying. I love killing and enemy just to have it explode and take out my shields so that the rest of the guys get free shots on me.

So far, the biggest learning I've found is that moving fast makes things way more enjoyable when you have lots of sectors and flying back and forth.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

That Guy Bob posted:

I went into the game files and nerfed them. gently caress veteran bounty hunters. I'm level 39 with 47% thermal damage reduction and they still explode me in a matter of seconds.

How did you do this? I had a brief look into the assets folder and changed a few things but it didn't seem to affect anything ingame.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

The Donut posted:

How did you do this? I had a brief look into the assets folder and changed a few things but it didn't seem to affect anything ingame.

I'd be curious about that as well as how to make missiles use less energy and be faster.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So..is there a point in time where you get good enough equipment to not get taken out in 3-4 shots from whatever death ray it is that some of the laser-using bosses have? Because gently caress having 46% thermal resistance and still getting hit for 150+ damage.

DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!
Try using a virus type weapon on boss enemies. The debuff stacks up to three times and helps increase the chance of hitting your target and dodging his shots. Works great when you have a fleet of ships.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

The Donut posted:

I followed this http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14174 post and dug around for bounty hunters in the assets and came up with this http://pastebin.com/vD0VkHQW, and it works! Bounty hunters are now actually less of a pain and as for missiles you have to change the stuff you find in Skills.gdb for energy use (it's labeled as power) and Projectiles.gdb for the missile speed. I included the missiles stuff in the pastebin for FileNotFound.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

DeltaOmega posted:

Try using a virus type weapon on boss enemies. The debuff stacks up to three times and helps increase the chance of hitting your target and dodging his shots. Works great when you have a fleet of ships.

That actually brings up another question, how do ship bays and the fighters work? Like, do they have a percentage of your health/defense/etc or is one level 13 (or whatever) fighter exactly the same as any other level 13 fighter regardless of the ship that summons it?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I wish the minion health bars were sorted by type instead of order summoned. I don't supposed that can be modded in? It would be much easier to quickly see what needs to be respawned that way.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

That Guy Bob posted:

I followed this http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14174 post and dug around for bounty hunters in the assets and came up with this http://pastebin.com/vD0VkHQW, and it works! Bounty hunters are now actually less of a pain and as for missiles you have to change the stuff you find in Skills.gdb for energy use (it's labeled as power) and Projectiles.gdb for the missile speed. I included the missiles stuff in the pastebin for FileNotFound.

Awesome. Thanks.

Got it working great. Missiles are not junk anymore.

Edit:
http://pastebin.com/8QMrAaGE

Makes missiles not suck:
Faster
Cheaper to fire

Makes Shields Suck Less:
x3 faster recharge

Lower energy cost in general.
Boost to reactor output.

Faster ballistic weapons.

Untested:
Faster anti-missile missiles.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 19, 2012

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Been playing this some. Beyond the occasional quest, is there much point to sabotage and propaganda?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

rafikki posted:

Been playing this some. Beyond the occasional quest, is there much point to sabotage and propaganda?

They add various debuffs to the planet like production.

Unrest is -8% I think, Riots are -20%.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

What does that affect, exactly? Their ability to pump out ships, and nothing else? I'm in my 40s now, but was going back through the challenges since I didn't notice them right away and got to the one where the Brunt and Fringe start out at war, with 20 planets apiece. I sided with the Brunt and went hunting Fringe. It took me half an hour or more to wipe out the last 9 planets, because they'd re-colonize planets as fast as I could take them out for a while.

Another question, have I missed a way to remotely clear mines? They blow the poo poo out of my bees :(

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

rafikki posted:

What does that affect, exactly? Their ability to pump out ships, and nothing else?

Their ability to pump out ships of any kind as well as tech research, IIRC.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Giant Bomb of all places did a Quick Look for this.
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-drox-operative/17-6936/

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

rafikki posted:

What does that affect, exactly? Their ability to pump out ships, and nothing else? I'm in my 40s now, but was going back through the challenges since I didn't notice them right away and got to the one where the Brunt and Fringe start out at war, with 20 planets apiece. I sided with the Brunt and went hunting Fringe. It took me half an hour or more to wipe out the last 9 planets, because they'd re-colonize planets as fast as I could take them out for a while.

Another question, have I missed a way to remotely clear mines? They blow the poo poo out of my bees :(

On low difficulty games, Sabotage and its ilk aren't all that vital, because you can usually power through any given factions fleets given enough time (and assuming you don't join the losing side of a war beyond hope) When the enemy ships are tougher relative to you, spending a little time chipping away at one race's production and research can have a pretty profound effect on an ongoing or forthcoming war. For fun, I have caused a lopsided war to swing back in favor of the underdog through sabotage and technology theft, without getting into a war (or even significantly hurting my relations) with the side that started off ahead.

It is expensive though, because the cheap options seem to fail a lot.

I have found that for colony spam, they tend to try and keep taking the same world, so if you can murder most of their fleet, and then guard a world you know they want, you can take out the stream of colony ships they will send. Eventually their production will be too low to send out both colonizers and warships. At that point you can pretty much just kill planets faster than they can recolonize. When a race hits less than a half a dozen ships in service, you are pretty much set.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think I've ever managed anything but a fear win. If I try to help someone win a war everyone starts making GBS threads themselves a the mere thought of me long before it's won.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

dis astranagant posted:

I don't think I've ever managed anything but a fear win. If I try to help someone win a war everyone starts making GBS threads themselves a the mere thought of me long before it's won.

Are you playing large sectors?

I have stuck with medium or smaller, and I have never even come close to a fear win. Every winning game has either been a diplomatic or conquest. One time I was really close to an economic victory, but I ended up with a conquest after I eliminated one of the sides of a war.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Underwhelmed posted:

Are you playing large sectors?

I have stuck with medium or smaller, and I have never even come close to a fear win. Every winning game has either been a diplomatic or conquest. One time I was really close to an economic victory, but I ended up with a conquest after I eliminated one of the sides of a war.

My first was a tiny level 4 game and then I did the first few challenge maps. Nothing but fear, though I came close to legend once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, this game can have some great moments.

I stumbled into a huge nest of enemy ships that started chasing me through the system. At least 20 enemy ships were on my tail, and my ship was right on a the verge of getting toasted. Just as I was about to blow I happened upon one of those floating bits with random effects, and it turned out it was some sort of beam-multiplier. Suddenly my puny laser was now 40 lasers, and the entire trailing group of enemies were taken out in seconds. I was practically jumping out of my chair cheering when that happened.

This game definitely has that "just five more minutes... oh, when did the sun come up?" groove.

• Locked thread