Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Whoo, caught up with this thread. To be honest, I didn't think any FFT LP could live up to the tragically-abandoned tard-Ramza incarnation, but welp, color me surprised. This is great.

Know what else is great? The FFT soundtrack. See, PS1 was my first CD-based console since I was a NES/SNES fanboy, so I had never experienced audio of this caliber. It really blew me away at the time, and to this day remains the only Japan-imported game soundtrack I bought.

Has anyone else seen the 1.3 AI Tournaments? I loved the poo poo out of the one that Archael hosted (a few years ago at this point), but tried to watch another one commentated by a less-enthusiastic dude with a thick accent, and it wasn't as enjoyable. I checked his YT channel and couldn't find them, unfortunately. The guy with the monster team actually got decently far up the ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Pvt.Scott posted:

I played FFT when it was relatively new and quit somewhere early in chapter two because of level scaling. If I wanted to play vanilla on my iPad or 1.3c on my pc, how do I determine what my level band should be in a particular chapter, seeing as I'd be doing the game essentially blind?

Also, how is the level scaling determined? Highest level dude, team average, who you happen to bring to the fight or what?

Story battles have set character levels. Random battles are generally ~1 level higher than your highest level character, if memory serves. You can get through the game without doing many random battles, but it's fun, so why would you? My advice would be to hit a random or two as you are between story battles, when convenient.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Don't even bother searching for random fights, the majority of them will come into play when you start with the sub-quest tavern junk.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Synastren posted:

Story battles have set character levels. Random battles are generally ~1 level higher than your highest level character, if memory serves. You can get through the game without doing many random battles, but it's fun, so why would you? My advice would be to hit a random or two as you are between story battles, when convenient.

That's for Vanilla FFT. In 1.3, story battles scale to your level too, which can be really problematic.

Unless you play Content edition, in which story scaling is removed.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Davzz posted:

Unless you play Content edition, in which story scaling is removed.
While story scaling is removed, you can still put yourself in a gear hole in Content. Sometimes new stuff won't show up in randoms in the places you have access to for the chapter, so while you can still outlevel the battles they may have items that give them an edge on you.

Also the fixed story levels are not exactly low.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think way back when, I power leveled my main character and then proceeded to get destroyed. That explains things.
Much better knowing what to expect this time. These days srpg stuff is like my heroin. I've just started in on my first Fire Emblem experience, uhh FE12?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Pvt.Scott posted:

I think way back when, I power leveled my main character and then proceeded to get destroyed. That explains things.
Much better knowing what to expect this time. These days srpg stuff is like my heroin. I've just started in on my first Fire Emblem experience, uhh FE12?
As long as you spread out the levels, you'll be fine. If Ramza starts to get ahead, pull him out of all non-story battles until people catch up. If the guys in random battles start having nicer equipment than you, get a character with good speed, Steal and Martial Arts (which boosts Steal's hit rate) to even the score.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 23: Orbonne- Library

Alma's tipped us off to a Holy Stone in the vaults of Orbonne Monastery, so we're headed there in search of the shiny.

Orbonne isn't always an available location; it usually appears when there's a mission at hand and then leaves the map once the mission is over.

Well, looks like we've arrived only slightly too late.

The enemy got wind of the Virgo stone and managed to beat us here.

Our hero hands over his stones to Alma for 'safekeeping'. Sure, he's about to rush into battle, but I think I'd rather have the experienced soldiers holding on to the precious artifacts instead of the untrained noble girl.

Apparently our enemies are the “Shrine Knights” or “Knights Templar” in the WotL translation. In Ivalice the Templars are a military arm of the Glabados Church, though they do exercise some degree of independence from their parent organization.

We already know that Glabados is after the Zodiac Stones, so it's no surprise that they'd send their best fighting force.

As you can see, we're up against a simple but powerful enemy team in this battle. The three Lancers are all carrying gear that's at least a tier above what's in the stores right now, and the Time Mages all have nasty spellcasting secondaries: Black Magic, White Magic, and Summon.

As for Team Pokeymans:
Charizard (Red Dragon)
Grimer (Great Morbol)
Sudowoodo (Taiju)
Grumpig (Wildboar)

The Lancers are all very mobile. Their huge Jump stats allow them to basically ignore most of the terrain on the map, and shown by the fact that one gets up in Grumpig's face immediately.

Fortunately, he seems to have underestimated just how drat cute the pig pokemon is.

Grumpig takes a deep breath...

...and blows out as hard as his little piggy nose can...

…and suddenly the enemy Lancer is smitten with a curious case of pokemania.

Nose Breath has a single-panel range, and adds Charm with very high accuracy. It's an incredibly powerful skill that is largely balanced by how relatively weak Pigs are.

If you can protect one long enough to get two or three Nose Breaths off, you've almost certainly won, but Pigs need a lot of babysitting: their low HP and non-defensive reaction skill (Critical Quick) make it very easy to drop a Pig in just a couple of attacks. Here, I'm using two revivers/healers, plus another low-HP unit (Ash) with Hamedo to draw fire.

I've mentioned before that the AI doesn't take reaction skills into account.

With a good Brave Score, you can use Hamedo to basically invalidate whole swathes of enemy melee.

It's usually a pretty bad idea to walk into Hamedo like this, but the AI will do it all drat day.

Just be sure that your weapon's range can at least meet that of the attacker's. In this fight Ash is carrying a Stick for just that reason.

Also, all the enemies in this fight are fast. Both Lancers and Time Mages receive natural Speed boosts, and a couple even have Sprint Shoes (an accessory that adds +1 Speed) on top of it.

You can see here that the Time Mages are all ready to wreck my day before most of the poketeam can even get a turn.

Best Compat + Critical Hit + Two Hands = Slaughter.

I'm trying not to have Ash do any real fighting in these battles, but the Dark Holy that Time Mage was charging would have one-shot him. I think some measure of self-defense is justifiable.

Grimer, however, can tank a Holy to the face, owing to his gobs of HP and relatively low Faith.

I don't give the slightest bit of a drat about Carbuncle, as Ash is the only unit on the team with Reflectable attacks and I'm trying not to use his offense.

The Dragon's various Breath attacks do decent elemental damage in a 2-panel range. I maybe should have brought Charizard to the previous battle, as another heavy hitter would have been helpful. On the other hand, Dragons have fairly poor reach despite their 5 Move; most monsters have a ranged attack of some sort, but two panels is the best Dragons get without Monster Skill.

Bad Breath, which we've seen before, has a 25% chance to inflict a bunch of random status effects against all creatures in a 2-panel AoE. Each condition is rolled for separately, so sometimes you'll end up sticking just one, as here, while other times you'll land three or four and just cripple a guy.

Treefolk monsters are pretty unusual in that they're largely support units.

Here, Sudowoodo busts out Magic Spirit, an AoE HP/MP heal that's basically Chakra but with a bigger radius. Treefolk can provide a ton of healing, but it requires good positioning to maximize the number of units affected, since the individual amount healed is decent but not fantastic.

While this team has nowhere near the sandbagging capability of Zalmo's posse, three or four of them can revive their fallen comrades one way or another, be it Full Life, Fairy, or Phoenix Down.

This could be...problematic.

Cyclops is the highest-damage Summon that can be normally acquired. I'm a little concerned here.

...wait, was that it? Don't get me wrong, doing 450+ damage spread out among three units is strong, it's just not the asskicking I was expecting. Even so, it's a drat good thing Sudowoodo got that AoE heal off, or I'd be looking at a couple of fainted pokemon.

One of the dangers on this map is getting hemmed in to the starting area by the Lancers while the Time Mages cast at you from relative safety. Getting Charizard down to the middle tier puts some important pressure on the squishies.

A very nice double-Bad Breath from Grimer...

drat son, that's a lot of status effects. Bad Breath can be swingy, but when it swings your way it's worth it.

Morbols are strongest on tight maps with lots of flat spaces, so this is a pretty good board for Grimer. Their Move sucks and Bad Breath has crappy vertical tolerance and doesn't smart target, so if the enemy isn't courteous enough to surround your pet Morbol (as they did here) you'll probably need to spend a turn or two wading the big lug out and away. Fortunately they've got high HP, but a ranged magic healer (White Magic or Summon) is a good idea.

Sudowoodo continues keeping everyone alive.

It's nice having some good healing in a monster party for a change.

I was kind of hoping that Time Mage would spend her turn Confused (before the Poison snapped her out of it) but Charmed units don't always have the best target selection. This attack ends up dropping her anyway, so it's all good.

Of course, the White-casting Time Mage just brings her back. Fortunately, Full Life is an expensive spell and the mages don't have a way to regain MP. They'll run out of juice pretty soon.

Not even those previous heals could keep Grumpig alive after this Mjolnir.

The AI wises up a bit and tries to clear the Charm, but these Lancers have good physical Evasion.

Of course, the still-Charmed enemy fails to connect with his counter attack, but as long as they're beating on each other and not on the pokemon, I'm happy.

Tail Swing is one of those random damage attacks that I usually dislike. (1...20)*PA requires a few too many prayers to the RNG for my taste, but I'm here to show off monster attacks and that's why I'm going to do.

MOLDBALL VIRUS!!! I promised quite awhile ago to show it off and here it is in all its wonderful weirdness.

As far as I know, it's the only skill in the game that does anything like what it does. It obviously doesn't work on bosses or Immortal units, and the newly-spawned Morbol is hostile to you, but man what a neat attack.

I'm pretty amazed it worked the first time, too, since it has only about a 40% hit rate.

Spirit of Life is double rare, in that it is one of very few AoE revival abilities and it is one of very few monster revival abilities.

The HP restored is less than that of Life or Fairy, but it is free and has a big area. On the other hand, the AoE is hard to aim, and Treemen are slow as molasses. Generally, if you are going to use a Treeman for support, you need to keep a tight formation; note how I'm keeping most of the action in this fight concentrated on the top tier of the battlefield.

Ash will pretty much play medic for the rest of the battle. Our team has upgraded from Hi-Potions to X-Potions, at least.

I'm pretty sure that this is the last Full Life that Time Mage can cast, so we shouldn't have to deal with too much more sandbagging.

Not to mention that Grumpig is right there with a Nose Breath. I love this guy.

Hey, we finally get to see somebody pushed off a ledge. Critical hits can cause knockback.

And it turns out that is enough of a height difference to cause falling damage. For something so rarely seen (I've gone entire playthroughs without having it trigger even once) it's nice the devs were thinking of everything.

In retrospect, turning an MP-less Time Mage into a potentially quite threatening Morbol was not the most advantageous play, but gently caress it, Moldball Virus owns.

Charizard is on the job. Gotta get rid of that Morbol before it really becomes trouble. Every advantage Grimer has here, it has also (in fact, Lick is probably stronger than Moldball Virus right now).

Mark up another crippling Bad Breath for Grimer. He's turned out to be really fantastic on this map.

Pigs have a single damaging attack, Straight Dash. It hits decently hard, but its only got a one-panel range and its vertical tolerance is poo poo.

Bad Breath has come back to bite me in the rear end! Anybody who didn't see this coming from two miles up the road needs an eye exam.

Poor Charizard gets reduced to a granite statue of a tiny frog.

But Ash is there with some medicine. Remedies clear neither Petrification nor Frog, so he's going to have to bring the big lug back to full health one affliction at a time.

Piggies are pretty fast. As long as you can keep them in the fight (and again, this is not an easy task) and are on relatively flat terrain, they can dominate a battle.

They may not do great damage, but who cares? They can get the enemy to do damage for them!

Charizard eventually gets back into fighting shape.

Which is good since I'm relying on him for most of my damage. Dragons are one of the better damage-dealing monsters, though also one of the hardest to use, owing to their lack of range and so-so mobility. For a pure killer, a Skeleton or Hydra is probably a better choice.

However, in 1.3 they are also extremely resilient; great HP helps, but Dragon Spirit as a reaction skill grants impressive survivability. Paired with some solid healing, a newly-revived Dragon can usually take a couple of hits before being K.O.'d again, meaning Dragon Spirit will have a good chance to repeatedly fire.

None of the pokebattles we've seen so far have been fantastic for Charizards. They're best used on maps with obvious choke points where the player can get the enemy to attack them.

I like the little wind-up Pigs do before a Straight Dash. Reminds me of old Road Runner cartoons.

For some reason this guy decides a plain-old-Potion is the best thing to drink right now. I don't get it either.

Grumpig is definitely owning this battle with Nose Breath.

Eventually some treasure starts popping up. I'm pretty pleased with the Sprint Shoes, since they can't be bought in stores just yet.

Charizard continues burninating peoples.

I dunno where this was at the beginning of the battle, but I'm sure glad I didn't have to deal with some of the pokemon getting Charmed. We saw how badly it wrecked the other team.

Monsters have their own gender in FFT, and are subject to opposite-gender attacks from both male and female units. Likewise, they can use such abilities against either gender, though the only one monsters have is Nose Breath.

This is a Treant's only damaging attack. It doesn't hit hard, but like their other skills it does affect a two-panel AoE.

More treasures. I'm not too impressed with these, as I don't usually use Lancers and they're not rare or anything.

And Grumpig finishes the fight. If the AI could feel embarrassed, I bet it would right now.

That's no good. Looks like we took a bit too long cleaning up these chumps. The Templar captain has already found the Holy Stone!

drat right, time to bust rear end and hustle.

Next Time: the pokeblitz!

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
CharmPig for MVP.

Any reason you're not using Boco? I'm asking cause Choco Esuna is nice and his innate Monster Skill means your other monsters can have extra abilities to use without needing Ramza.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks for showing off so much of the new monster abilities. I'd always heard that was one of the strong points of 1.3. It makes me seriously want to try and play this version now.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
So these PokeBattles are reminding me of the single time I tried playing FFT 1.3. The only way I was able to progress (And progress through almost the entirety of Chapter 1-2) was to accidentally create a strategy I like to call "Vampiric Orgy". I happened to recruit a panther, and the panther happened to breed a Vamp-Cat. Now, I don't know if Prufrock wants to talk about it, or actually show it off, but Vampire is a crazy, awesome, insane status effect in this game. Basically, my Vamp-Cat gave a single enemy the vampire status, who then made it it's sole purpose in life to make some other unit a vampire. It basically spread like a virus until the battle was won for me. You know, hey Prufrock, do you want to show that off in an update sometime? Or even in like a bonus arena type update? It is super entertaining :v:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Panthers are actually no longer in 1.3 at all, I believe. The entire family was replaced with Tonberries. That was before Archael figured out a way to squeeze in Cactuars as well. There's actually somewhat hard limits on the number of things that can be in the game total.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I was always terrified of having Morbol Virus used against me. There's no cure for it, so it's basically losing the battle in one move if it succeeds against you.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Schwartzcough posted:

I was always terrified of having Morbol Virus used against me. There's no cure for it, so it's basically losing the battle in one move if it succeeds against you.

Is Ramza immune to it at the very least? :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

So you can get your own Morbol Ramza for the rest of the game? :allears:

e:f,b

e2: What about cutscenes with Molbol Ramza? :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 13, 2013

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.

Pierzak posted:

So you can get your own Morbol Ramza for the rest of the game? :allears:

e:f,b

e2: What about cutscenes with Molbol Ramza? :v:

Ramza cannot be Morbol Virus'ed.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Bad Breath is amazing. It can inflict Petrify, Stop, Frog and Sleep (not sure if 1.3 modified those) with a 25% chance each, meaning on average it'll place at least one crippling ailment on each target.

Also, "Moldball virus" shows how amazing this translator was. At least he was consistent in translating "Breath" as "Bracelet"; here he goes and romanizes the same katakana two different ways.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Bad Breath is amazing. It can inflict Petrify, Stop, Frog and Sleep (not sure if 1.3 modified those) with a 25% chance each, meaning on average it'll place at least one crippling ailment on each target.

Also, "Moldball virus" shows how amazing this translator was. At least he was consistent in translating "Breath" as "Bracelet"; here he goes and romanizes the same katakana two different ways.

I kind of get the feeling, given all the inconsistencies and blunt force trauma of the FFT translation, that it was more than one person working on it. There are so many inconsistencies everywhere that I refuse to believe one person did it all. Heck, the Moogle summon is called "Mogri" both in the job tab and in its call-out box, but when you see the chant, it calls it Moogle. There's stuff like that all over the place.

At least it's nowhere near as bad as the Tales of Phantasia GBA port, though. Eugh.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

UmbreonMessiah posted:

At least it's nowhere near as bad as the Tales of Phantasia GBA port, though. Eugh.

KANGAROO WAR :black101:

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

cirus posted:

I will never make fun of Dycedarg's Elder Brother again :cripes:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cirus posted:

Is there somewhere I can read about this translation? Because it sounds awful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Archael posted:

Ramza cannot be Morbol Virus'ed.

So basically Ramza is an rear end in a top hat that doesn't share the vaccine with anyone else?

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?
Instead of the Ragnarok War, it was mistranslated to the Kangaroo War for the American GBA release... Blegh.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Dirk the Average posted:

So basically Ramza is an rear end in a top hat that doesn't share the vaccine with anyone else?

Morbol Virus fails against anything that isn't a monster or a generic.

Blind the Thief posted:

Instead of the Ragnarok War, it was mistranslated to the Kangaroo War for the American GBA release... Blegh.

Hahahaha, what

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

Instead of the Ragnarok War, it was mistranslated to the Kangaroo War for the American GBA release... Blegh

Hahahaha, what

Supposedly, when it was close to release date, they ran the script through a spellchecker and Ragnarok got auto-corrected to "Kangaroo" and they didn't felt the need to proof-read before release.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Davzz posted:

Supposedly, when it was close to release date, they ran the script through a spellchecker and Ragnarok got auto-corrected to "Kangaroo" and they didn't felt the need to proof-read before release.

Honestly, this kind of poo poo can only bring the Tales series down to Earth a little.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dirk the Average posted:

Algus wasn't lying when he says nobles are just better. Ramza's aristocratic blood is immune to such trifles as being turned into a Morbol.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gotta say, I'm disappointed that the Holy Stones aren't being referred to as Poké Balls.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Gotta say, I'm disappointed that the Holy Stones aren't being referred to as Poké Balls.

I think you mean gym badges :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Frocobo posted:

I think you mean gym badges :colbert:

They need Virgo to trade over their super-pokemon from their previous game. Otherwise, it won't listen to them.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

How could they? Poke maniacs are heretics!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Holy Stones are obviously Digivices.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Is there somewhere I can read about this translation? Because it sounds awful.

I believe the Tales Wiki talks about it in spades. There used to be a lot of pages about how terrible it is, but a lot of them have been taken down.

Blind the Thief posted:

That's just the most egregiously terrible one, too. There's a lot of other pretty glaring mistakes in it.

So what do you think Prufrock's gonna use in the next battle? I hope he wants to show off some Hydras.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

UmbreonMessiah posted:

So what do you think Prufrock's gonna use in the next battle? I hope he wants to show off some Hydras.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to recruit Hydras until Chapter 4, so instead enjoy these mad Monster Skillz.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 24: Orbonne- Izlude

So that thing we rushed over to Orbonne to do? The 'stopping the bad guys from acquiring the powerful artifact' thing?

We're a little late on that.

The Shrine Knight captain already has the Virgo Stone, but at least he's willing to give us the chance to murder him for it.

Man, why can't they just go catch their own drat pokemon?

Alrighty, another assassination mission.

Now, normally this battle and the next are pretty easy...with a normal team. With pokemon, it's rather a different story. Don't let the length of these episodes fool you, I had to do a good deal of prep and went through many attempts trying to get this right.

Let's meet our PokeTeam for today.

Braviary (Red Chocobo)
Hitmonchan (Gobbledeguck)
Golbat (Plague)
Pidgeotto (Cocatoris)

Mobility was a key factor in selecting this team. To do what I intend to do, the pokemon need to be able to move at least four spaces and need to be able to clear a four-height ridge. Ranged attacks were also important, for reasons that will become clear.

Now, let's meet our target.

Izlude and his team are just about the opposite of Zalmo's posse: rather than a ton of sandbagging, Izlude and co. are all about the offense, and boy can they hit hard. Izlude in particular, with his excellent PA and that rare Holy Lance, can one-shot most units with Jump, meaning he can one-shot most units anywhere on the map. Do note that Izlude's reaction skill is variable; I've also seen Regenerator, and had to reset several times when he came in with Abandon + a mantle.

The rest of the Templar team is likewise very offensively minded, and everyone but the Onion Knight has great range as well. One Marksman and one Lancer each have Concentrate, and everyone (again, but the Onion Knight) is kitted out in pretty nice gear.

Speaking of Onion Knights, Team Pokemania is joined by a special Guest in this battle: an Onion Knight of our very own! Before you get too excited, her AI is set to run and hide, so she'll almost certainly never actually do anything ever.

Izlude's AI is somewhat predictable, in that he will spend his first turn (and he'll usually go first) moving forward so that he can get into Jump range on his next. In response, Ash beams over in front of him.

Now, Ash has terrible compatibility with Izlude, but I was never planning on having him attack anyway. This is a pokemon battle, and the pokemon are going to win it.

Instead, Ash tells the nearby Lancer all about his super cool pokeymans, and the poor fellow is simply bored to sleep. While not at all necessary, this does keep the guy out of the way so the pocket monsters don't have to maneuver around him.

What is necessary is for Ash to stand where he is all front-and-center like, because he's carrying Monster Skill in his support slot.

The not-sleepy Lancer grabs a hefty tome off of one of the shelves and hucks it at Braviary for quite a bit of damage. I'm convinced Archael left Dictionaries on the Throw list just so people could joke about “throwing the book” at someone.

One Marksman lets loose on our friendly Onion Knight, while another begins charging a Timed Strike that will never land.

Archael and I had a bit of a disagreement about the Onion Knight's AI in the first LP thread, and while he explained that the reason she runs is that he didn't want to have her get immediately K.O.'d and force the player to race her death timer, I still think a better solution would be to simply give her the Immortal flag like most Guests.

With all the AI units out of the way, it's time for a Pokemusical Pokemontage!

Sing along at home!

I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause

I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Teach Pokemon to understand
The power that's inside

Pokemon! It's you and me
I know it's my destiny
Pokemon! Oh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend

Pokemon! A heart so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me and I'll teach you
Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all, motherfucker.

But seriously, our protagonist has a real problem finishing what he's started. Just how many villains have we beaten, only to watch blink away?

I mean, this just happened with Zalmo. And Izlude's carrying the Virgo Stone too, you know, the entire reason we're here in the first place.

But I guess we can celebrate kicking his rear end with pokemon, at least. Let me tell you, it took a lot of trial-and-error to come up with a team of monsters that could one-round Izlude without any help from Ash.

The trophies aren't impressive, but that's okay.

Our real reward is a brand new recruit! Yes, the Onion Knight will be joining the party permanently, and she makes quite a valuable addition to the team.

But before we can set her loose on an unsuspecting world, we need to name the Onion Knight!

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

But before we can set her loose on an unsuspecting world, we need to name the Onion Knight!

The only correct answer is Sieglinde.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Peco!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Chivey

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sorites posted:

The only correct answer is Sieglinde.

Seconding this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
She has to be called Sieglinde, obviously. :) It's the only acceptable answer.

• Locked thread