Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Upper Class: Onion Knight

Though the Onion Knight appears as a secret, unlockable job in the War of the Lions remake, the 1.3 Onion Knight actually shares very little with its PSP cousin. The Onion Knight recruited in 1.3 can use any equipment, but can also equip the full complement of secondary, reaction, support, and movement skills.

She also has none of the arcane, frustrating leveling mechanics as WotL Onion Knights, and while her stats aren't as insane as that job, getting to use actual abilities more than makes up for it. Incredibly versatile, this Onion Knight can fill any role, and makes a particularly excellent physical fighter due to her powerful innate abilities.

Mastery is Onion Knight's “action skill” though it is actually nothing more than a blank skillset. In essence, Onion Knight sacrifices the ability to carry two actions skills for unlimited gear options.

Because she doesn't get a primary action skill, Onion Knight's choice of secondary is much more important. Due to Onion Knight's strong innates, stuff like Jump tends to lose a lot of appeal; on the other hand, relying on pure spellcasting doesn't really play to her strengths because most casters can already use the best caster gear.

Personally, I prefer versatile my Onion Knight to carry a versatile skillset like White Magic or Punch Art to backup a devastating Attack command, but even something as simple as “Item + hit people” can work well.

---

Onion Knight boasts an impressive array of innate abilities, most related to equipment options. Two Sword and Two Hands allow them to use any possible configuration of weapons, and are both immensely useful. The offensive applications of Two Swords are obvious, but it's also a boon on a spellcasting set-up since it allows Onion Knight to double-up on caster sticks.

The other pair of innates are Maintenance, which is at best a minor boon but decent since it's free.

---

To match her versatile equipment selection, Onion Knight's stats are evenly distributed across the board. None of her multipliers are exceptional (she's slightly better than a Geomancer there) though she does have very good stat growths. Physical abilities will make the most of her innate skills, but having a caster that can poke people with sticks for hundreds of damage is pretty fun too!

However, because her modifiers are good but not great, it's best to set Onion Knight up to make full use of her strong innates and equipment options; they are the only advantages that really set her apart. Otherwise, you're simply better off choosing the generic job best suited to role, since chances are its stats will be more focused and therefor stronger. Given the wealth of rare and powerful equipment available in FFT, it's no surprise that Onion Knight is a very strong unit when played properly.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

How do Two Hands and Two Swords co-exist on an interface level? Doesn't the offhand item slot disappear if you equip a weapon to a character with Two Hands active?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Sorites posted:

How do Two Hands and Two Swords co-exist on an interface level? Doesn't the offhand item slot disappear if you equip a weapon to a character with Two Hands active?

It's just visual when you're holding a weapon Two Handed. The slot is still there for you to equip if you scroll to it.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Having your OK run around sticking people to death works quite well in the mid game, but tapers off in Ch4 where sometimes you can't or don't want to throw her into melee range. That's where she is great as a white magic slinger, especially as she can wear the best caster weapon combinations of X + Faith Rod.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

One thing that's been racking my brain on my re-playthrough of this mod is trying to decide who to keep by the endgame. Because of the new characters added, you now have no room for any extra units once you've recruited all the special characters. I wouldn't want to ditch a generic I've been raising since day one if they wound up being better than the special classes that come along throughout the game.

That's one feature I wish was added if it was possible: making the roster larger in the PSX version of 1.3.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zeikier posted:

One thing that's been racking my brain on my re-playthrough of this mod is trying to decide who to keep by the endgame. Because of the new characters added, you now have no room for any extra units once you've recruited all the special characters. I wouldn't want to ditch a generic I've been raising since day one if they wound up being better than the special classes that come along throughout the game.

That's one feature I wish was added if it was possible: making the roster larger in the PSX version of 1.3.

This. Especially now that most or all of the special characters are actually worth using, you don't want to get rid of them. But you also don't want to sacrifice your generics that actually have a bunch of well-developed jobs opened up. But you ALSO want to breed monsters for poaching awesome gear or even (*Gasp) using because monsters don't inherently suck now. Basically I want about three times as many team slots.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LFT kicks party slots up to 24 so it's not impossible.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

dis astranagant posted:

LFT kicks party slots up to 24 so it's not impossible.
It's a hack and it can cause instability, so IIRC it's not something 1.3 will do by default. I suppose you could hack it in yourself though. As of the latest release there are now just enough special characters for your roster to hold one generic. Yeesh.

White Magic is my favorite Onion Knight set for much of the game. While the Whale Whisker is funny, Holy Strike with dual Spell Edges is incredible and the versatility of Cure and Raise can't be beat. Later on there's a two-handed upgrade, and also the aforementioned Faith Rod.

Punch Art and lots of PA gear can also work, but I prefer White Magic with MA gear.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nakar posted:

It's a hack and it can cause instability, so IIRC it's not something 1.3 will do by default. I suppose you could hack it in yourself though. As of the latest release there are now just enough special characters for your roster to hold one generic. Yeesh.

Now admittedly I haven't been through the Deep Dungeon, but isn't there a full 16 already? Ramza, Boco, Mustadio, Agrias, Onion Knight, Marche, Rafa, Malak, Dark Knight, Beowulf, Reis, Worker 8, Cloud, Orlandu, Meliadoul, Byblos. That's every slot taken. Was Byblos removed?

Edit: vvv I only played Content 1.3.0.5, and apparently a new unit was added in 0.6, so yeah, I probably don't know about them.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 24, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Oh yeah forgot that last one. So yeah, there's now a full set. Also there's another character you're forgetting (or aren't aware of).

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
A normally unrecruitable monster is a guest in a story battle before the DD.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.

Corvinus posted:

A normally unrecruitable monster is a guest in a story battle before the DD.
Your Spoiler Evasion is 100%!

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Archael posted:

I do try to be somewhat nonspecific at times. I didn't realize the FFT 1.3's wiki doesn't even list 'em in the Special Jobs section, but that makes sense as it's not a uniquely special monster like Boco.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Archael posted:

But SEv is ineffective from behind, so be careful. The thread can sneak up on you.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Gotta ask, why add random characters that weren't there, especially when the current lineup is pretty solid as is.

Desire to add something neat?

Liked something in another game?

Strategy?

A whim?

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 27: Yardow Fort City

On our way through Yardow, a fortified city on the road to Riovanes, we come upon the “Exotic Wizard” having something of a spat with a similarly-dressed young lady.

People being used and thrown away by those more powerful is a bit of a recurring theme in this game.

The Fifty Years War was long and very bloody, and left huge masses of refugees and orphans. Youth of the current generation are quite likely to have lost at least one parent to the conflict, and poverty and starvation were rampant.

Of course, this is FFT, so we can't expect a nobleman to have taken in orphans out of the goodness of his heart, now can we?

The “Exotic Wizard” Malak refuses to believe the young lady. Losing his temper, he slaps her across the face.

There are some...unfortunate implications going on with Rafa and Duke Barinten.

The game never gets explicit, but it's pretty clear what happened.

Looks like this wasn't just a chance meeting. Malak and his crew are here with an ambush, just for us.

As our team merrily walks into the trap, Rafa breaks rank and runs outside the city walls.

Oh hey, we haven't seen one of these in awhile.

Now, our last rescue target was Olan, but if you go in expecting something similar out of Rafa here, you are sadly mistaken.

Speaking of, here's Rafa's setup. Pretty rear end...her stats suck, her gear sucks, and her watered-down skillset sucks. About the only thing of note is her reaction skill: Archael was at least kind enough to equip her with the only reaction she can get much use out of (check dat 31 Brave, son).

We also get to take a look at Exotic Wizard Malak. A 200 HP physical Attack isn't too worrisome, though it does ignore Evasion. He is also drat evasive himself, and Item means he can throw out Power Sources. His Brave/Faith mirror Rafa's, so he's drat resilient against magic attacks, as well.

One of the frustrating elements to this map is that Rafa starts between your formation and the enemy, and most of the enemies are faster than her.

Players that bring a particularly slow team might lose the battle before they even get to act.

Mustadio hops up to the top of the gate and gives the new Magic Cannon a try.

It hits decently hard, though keep in mind that he is boosting it with a Black Robe.

“You know, that guy, that bro, that dude.”

Sometimes our hero is a little bit :downs:

At least this confirms that Malak and co. are working for Barinten. We'd already guessed as much, since who else would wait for us at Riovanes, but still...

This is new, however, and potentially quite important. If Barinten and the Shrine Knights are working together, it explains both how they have Alma and why they want the Germonik Scriptures.

On the other hand, if that's the case why aren't the Templars here? Malak seems to be implying that he set this ambush on his own, so maybe if there is a partnership going on, it's not a very close one. We'll have to see.

The gate tends to create a natural chokepoint where lots of units get all piled up.

This makes the area ripe for bombardment with strong AoE attacks. Just make sure not to catch Rafa, since she doesn't always get clear of the action too quickly.

I've only gotten a couple of actions, and Rafa is already getting carved up. Thankfully she dodges the second swing (whee Abandon) but still, she's got worryingly few hit points.

Malak's not the only one who can Power Source, either. Rest of the game, pictured right here.

Here's one of Marche's unique skills, Spirit Combo. Fortunately, it's a magic attack (despite using weapon range) so it has some chance of getting through Malak's crazy evasion.

Spirit Combo hits a random number of times (between 1 and 4) and does moderate magic damage. While it is affected by Faith, it's unlike most magic attacks in that targets with a lower Faith score take more damage.

Since Malak has very little Faith, it only takes a single Spirit Combo to send him running.

Obviously we haven't seen the last of his faux-hawk.

Rafa tries to get all :black101: but come on, that damage is just sad. Even if she had rolled really well (remember that axes do random damage) it still wouldn't have been impressive. This will be a running theme with Rafa.

Fluellen does her best to keep Rafa's anemic HP total high. I hate it when she has to heal instead of cave in faces.

This I was not expecting. There are several better places to drop a Leviathan unless the AI is making Rafa a priority target. I would only be slightly surprised were that the case.

Unfortunately for me, there's next to nothing I can do to stop the Leviathan from going off, and if it goes off it will drop Rafa.

She's wearing an Elf Cape with Abandon, so there is a good chance she'll evade the Summon.

If she does, I fight on.

If she doesn't, I lose.

It's in the RNG's hands now.

Welp.

You didn't think I was really going to make it, did you?

Hello darkness my old friend.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
I like that 1.3 gives you a handful of tools immediately before they are useful. Getting Marche and then being able to use him against Malak to great effectiveness is easily something I would have missed were I playing this myself.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Important note about UnFaith calculations: The Faith/Innocent statuses set the Faith modifier to 100/0, not the unit's actual Faith stat. A target with the Faith status will be easier to hit with Black Magic and take more damage from Spirit Combo and other abilities that work on a reverse-Faith scale. Likewise, Innocent status will prevent both from working.

This is critical information at one point, and it's also part of the reason Marche can be made so awesome. There are others though.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Rafa, bad? Lies and slander!

Well, she does have extremely mediocre growths and multipliers, but she still has the highest damage potential (RNGish) in the game. There are a few places where she will absolutely wreck the poo poo of some very dangerous enemies.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

As a consolation in 1.3, I think Rafa and Malak's spells had their charge times removed. I don't know what vanilla was thinking with having their attacks have charge times AND being random.

It's like they were telling us right off the bat that these two are gonna be nothing but liabilities.

incidentally that might answer my question of who to ultimately ditch. :v:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 26, 2013

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.

Zeikier posted:

As a consolation in 1.3, I think Rafa and Malak's spells had their charge times removed[/sub]

They did. These two are extremely strong specials in 1.3. They might be random, but if you narrow your targeting a bit by using the terrain, Rafa and Malak's spells can hit harder than a vast majority of things in the game. Malak's hit up to 10 times.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Was there any reason for making Malak so statistically superior to Rafa? I'm not sure how his skillset stacks up to hers, but it's probably stronger, too.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I think with Malak changes in this version he's better off being used as a super Ninja with his skillset as "better than Throw but still niche" with Low Faith against Magic heavy enemies and worth keeping.

Rafa, I still probably won't use except for Move-Find Item. Considering how many other unique special characters 1.3 adds she feels kind of boring, really.

Anyway, I finally finished Chapter 3. Can't wait to see what an actual strategy for "that fight" is, because it feels like I had completely unnatural luck by succeeding on 50% evasion rolls around 20 times in the entire fight (spread out around my 5 people)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Heavy neutrino posted:

Was there any reason for making Malak so statistically superior to Rafa? I'm not sure how his skillset stacks up to hers, but it's probably stronger, too.
Malak is just flat-out better as a character, but Rafa's skillset has one enormous advantage that gets around something which totally fucks Malak's over.

Also if I remember right, their skillsets no longer have a charge time at all.

Plus Abandon is really good in 1.3 so Rafa's low Brave is less of a hindrance to her.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

Rafa's abilities are faith independent so Truth will outdamage Untruth 95% of the time. She's basically a fast (115 speed) caster.

Malak has versatility; in the event that there are no low faith units to Untruth, he can be a super-geomancer, super-ninja with dual ninja blades, or super-ninja with martial arts (alas, lowish brave).

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 26, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Archael posted:

They did. These two are extremely strong specials in 1.3. They might be random, but if you narrow your targeting a bit by using the terrain, Rafa and Malak's spells can hit harder than a vast majority of things in the game. Malak's hit up to 10 times.

I've always had that terrain strategy in the back of my mind for taking advantage of their abilities. However, I don't think there are many places that have that kind of terrain, besides a few very situational cases. The big thing about their attacks is also their high vertical tolerance.

Still, I might toy around with them a bit since the damage potential is pretty high.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
I picked up 1.3 Content again thanks to this LP and decided to make my Ramza a Wizard as well :downs: It's really fun to play Content, because even though its much easier than regular 1.3, there are still those moments where I'm playing and I totally forget I'm not playing Vanilla FFT and I do something stupid and get myself mercilessly slaughtered. Then I reset and come back with a fresher head.

I gotta say, Content was still the best thing to come out of the last thread.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

I would say 1.3 Content is significantly more difficult than Vanilla, so yeah, the possibility of losing a battle is still there, especially with 1.3 Content Zodiac Bosses, which are still pretty challenging. Even if you can grind to a high level right off the bat, the entire 1.3 rebalancing is still there, so that adds to the difficulty as well, since you can no longer break things like Br / Fa.

Clarifying again: Rafa and Malak's skills indeed have 0 CT in 1.3. They go off instantly, although they nevertheless cost MP.

As for Rafa's vertical tolerance, it's 3. It's not low, but you can indeed limit the targeting radius if you pick targets on elevations, cliffs, or against high walls. Then the available panels go down to 4 or 3, and that's when her spells become borderline OP, which is why she's so useful.

James Totes posted:

Gotta ask, why add random characters that weren't there, especially when the current lineup is pretty solid as is.
I had some really good ideas for new mechanics for abilities (You can see them in Marche's skill-set) but I did not have appropriate Lore to wrap them up into a brand new character, and since SE already did the cross-over thing with Cloud in Chapter 4, I decided Marche wouldn't be too much of a stretch. His sprite and intro scene could use touching up, but I really like his job and function. This is the same reason Cactuars and Tonberries were added, though those provided some very fun FF lore related themes I could use.

I love FFT's lore and would never mess with it in any way, which is why the things I did add that are outside of rebalancing and difficulty don't alter the story or the main characters in any way. I've never had any interest in modding the story. Story was never FFT's weak point.

Archael fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 26, 2013

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Archael posted:

Clarifying again: Rafa and Malak's skills indeed have 0 CT in 1.3. They go off instantly, although they still cost MP.
(Un)Truth didn't cost MP in vanilla.

Edit: Oh, you probably mean "still" as in "nevertheless". Carry on.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Of course, there's a handful of maps where Rafa/Malak's targetable panels drops to 1, and at that point, ho ho ho.

There's also another way to minimize the number of legal panels. I used this a couple times in my run to pretty good effect. They're exceptionally viable now, especially since they're elemental and thus boostable.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

PFlats posted:

(Un)Truth didn't cost MP in vanilla.

Edit: Oh, you probably mean "still" as in "nevertheless". Carry on.

I edited the post just to make sure. Thanks.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Somewhat related, but for anyone interested in the WotL 1.3 there's a hardcoded bug with certain random multi-hit attacks.

Truth (1-6) and Spirit Combo (1-4) both actually end up attacking 1-10 times, just like Untruth does. Reis' Holy Bracelet still works properly at 1-3.

Thus Rafa is even more of a murder machine, and so is Luso (has Marche's skills).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Archael posted:

I had some really good ideas for new mechanics for abilities (You can see them in Marche's skill-set) but I did not have appropriate Lore to wrap them up into a brand new character, and since SE already did the cross-over thing with Cloud in Chapter 4, I decided Marche wouldn't be too much of a stretch. His sprite and intro scene could use touching up, but I really like his job and function. This is the same reason Cactuars and Tonberries were added, though those provided some very fun FF lore related themes I could use.

I love FFT's lore and would never mess with it in any way, which is why the things I did add that are outside of rebalancing and difficulty don't alter the story or the main characters in any way. I've never had any interest in modding the story. Story was never FFT's weak point.

Hey Arch

Is Balthier imported into the game from WOTL?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
There's a limited number of sprites that can fit before the FFT code gets unstable or really hard to work with. Adding cactaurs, Marche and Dark/Onion Knights is about the limit one can easily fit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Start replacing townspeople from cutscenes and make the game wacky.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Tithin Melias posted:

Hey Arch

Is Balthier imported into the game from WOTL?

Into the 1.3 PSX version? Nope.

Corvinus posted:

There's a limited number of sprites that can fit before the FFT code gets unstable or really hard to work with. Adding cactaurs, Marche and Dark/Onion Knights is about the limit one can easily fit.
You can replace every sprite in the game if you wanted to- the limit there is actually pretty large. What is limited is the number of functional, additional playable NPC jobs you can add without replacing or breaking the base characters that are already there. If you created your own lore and story for FFT like other mods do, then this limit won't matter, because you are free to replace whoever you want with whatever you want, but in 1.3 I can't just go ahead and replace Algus, Delita, Agrias, Mustadio, etc etc, nor do I want to.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'm sort of curious how that all works- do you have to replace an entire functional sprite set to get a new character in? For example, there were issues with Gafgarion being replaced in some scenes with Teta, but Teta doesn't have a full usable set of battle sprites. Meanwhile, I know there are several characters who show up in cutscenes, but have fully functional sprite sets that never get used like High Priest Funeral, I believe, and Balmafula. Just wondering if you had to basically replace characters like that to get the new ones in.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Yes.

The short answer is that there's a very limited number of character slots that have a valid correlation with a functioning formation sprite.

I refuse to insert new characters that won't look properly in the formation screen. Which is why you can have tons of new enemy-only types just fine in 1.3, but an actual recruitable character is much harder to get working properly.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 27: Yardow Fort City
Part 2: Yardow Strikes Back

So last time, despite taking a solid lead, Team Hero lost the battle after Rafa got nuked by an unfortunate Leviathan.

Today, though, will end in victory. I can feel it.

Well...

...poo poo.

This is going to really put a damper on the whole “keep Rafa out of trouble” thing, isn't it?

At least the AI still loves its lovely skills. Just the fact that Warn exists has made a few fights easier.

It might look like I'm making the same moves as last time, but there's a reason for it. Prufrock really needs to give the Ninjas a non-Rafa target.

Instead of going for damage, Mustadio plays things a bit more conservatively.

That's one less nuke to worry about, and hopefully by the time Don't Act wears off the fight will be winding down.

This dialogue didn't trigger before, and I'm not sure why, but here it is.

Malak is a little touchy when it comes to Rafa. It's also funny that he seems to thing anyone “just” deals with Prufrock.

Traitors are pretty much always executed, especially in a country torn by power struggles and intrigue like Ivalice. Of course, this is still assuming that there will be anyone left alive to snitch on Rafa at all.

Did I say a little touchy? Might want to revise that. Anyway it's pretty obvious that Rafa and Malak are/were quite close.

As long as he's handing out Elixirs, Malak is not blowing up Rafa. Usually if there's a unit in critical nearby, he'll choose to heal instead of attack.

While I'm a little disappointed in the lack of Hamedo, I'm also glad the Ninjas are attacking Prufrock just as I'd hoped. This one's all about giving the AI things to do that aren't killing our rescue objective.

With the Berserk damage bonus and good compatibility, Rafa actually manages to do somewhere close to respectable damage! :toot:

On the other hand, she walked right into Counter! :krakentoot:

I mentioned previously that Malak was very resistant to magic, owing to his low Faith (and Elf Cape + Abandon), but it's pretty impressive just how strong he is against spells.

Normally, Rafa's AI will run away at the first opportunity. However, Berserk obviously prevents that, and we really don't want her charging directly into the line of fire.

Of course, this means Onion Knight spends another opening round not caving in skulls, and I have to say I'm not pleased about it.

:negative:

So things are not looking up, guys.

Not looking up at all.

However, thanks to my incredible powers of precognition (i.e. checking the AT) Agrias was already charging a Life spell.

It goes off immediately after the Holy, meaning Mustadio doesn't miss a turn. Remember, the key to good sandbagging is to make sure your units are still getting to act.

Bahamut time!

Surely Bahamut will turn this battle around.

Orrrrrr...not? Marche has a pretty good MA so I'm not sure what the deal is or why that was so pathetic. We know Malak has low Faith, so maybe just bad compatibility?

In any case, I was really hoping to knock out that Ninja and force the enemy into some sandbagging of its own. That will be a bit more difficult now.

Heaven's Cloud has an odd incantation.

It's a reference to the 'first' Japanese poem ever written. According to legend, the god Susanoo killed an eight-headed serpent and pulled a magic sword out of its neck, and then wrote a poem about it. “Yagumo” roughly means “eight clouds”.

It also has a cool animation.

And even cooler damage numbers. Despite the 1.3 nerfs, Draw Out is still one of the strongest offensive skillsets in the game.

Blizzard is the strongest spell the Magic Cannon fires, but it's also the one we'll see the least. I believe that's the old Ice 4 animation. Pretty intense.

The time for playing it safe is over. Trying to turtle up around Rafa wasn't working out so well, so new strategy: kill them before they kill her.

Again, as long as the other team is busy sandbagging away with Item, Rafa is relatively safe. The best defense and all that.

Onion Knight does that thing she does. This is infinitely more satisfying than watching her play medic.

It's only necessary to put Malak in critical to trigger his retreat.

The reason he lasted as long as he did is that I may have forgotten to give Marche some Spike Shoes when I reloaded, so he couldn't just hop the wall like last time.

Rafa's gear is a little random; this time she's got a stick instead of an axe. It's plenty strong enough to K.O. that newly revived Summoner. That may also be the only K.O. we'll see Guest Rafa score.

Again, no Hamedo, but again, they're not attacking Rafa. If the AI had decided to focus-fire her to the exclusion of everything else, it might have still pulled out a win here. The girl is fragile.

Well, we've hit the point in the game in which the enemy starts wearing the best store-bought gear available. The Black Costume that Ninja is wearing is the strongest article of clothing that can be purchased. It absorbs Fire elemental attacks, and the Magic Cannon's most common spell is Explosion

Mustadio could try to get lucky with a Chain Lightning or Blizzard, but he zaps a different target instead. Taking the critical Ninja out would be very nice, as he's about to get a turn and could cause some hurt to Rafa, but healing him near to full would be very bad.

This is what I was worried about. With Throw's range being based on movement, he can hurt just about anybody on the board.

Fortunately, he chooses to throw holy swords at Agrias, probably because they've got good compatibility against each other. At this point, he could be lobbing Chaos Blades, so long as he's not lobbing them at Rafa.

It took far too long to bring the full force of Team Hero's damage dealers to bear. A more plainly offensive strategy might have been better here.

But a win is a win, and I'll take this one.

While our team could probably take on another dozen guys, we do need to get Rafa somewhere out of the way. A defector from Riovanes can probably help us get into the castle, or at least let us know what to expect.

Aside from a few very specific exceptions, War Trophies aren't going to mean anything for the rest of the game. I'll show those exceptions, but otherwise it's safe to assume there's lots of store-buyable stuff and sometimes marginal-at-best upgrades.

Man, our heroes have a tendency to pick some ratty-rear end hideouts. I mean, I get that being a heretic and all, Prufrock probably can't waltz into the Yardow Hilton and ask for the honeymoon suite, but still.

This dialogue is pretty hard to parse in places. I think Prufrock is saying that he suspects that a member of the royal family is backing Grand Duke Barinten, but we've heard literally nothing else about that up to this point and will never hear anything about it again so... :confused:

Also this is the first we've heard of somebody trying to off both Larg and Goltana. We know that the Glabados Church is trying to manipulate the war so that it can step in and take power for itself, but other than Malak mentioning the Shrine Knights once we don't have any evidence that the Church wants Barinten as regent.

I feel like these lines are supposed to be Prufrock spitballing possible explanations, but the translation is terrible and he says them with a very matter-of-fact tone so if it is supposed to be speculation, it's really not clear.

The game also tries to develop our hero a bit more.

It's mostly a lot of hemming and hawwing and “always do the right thing”.

Really this is one of the weakest plot scenes in the game, and the poor translation certainly doesn't help it any. It tries to tie Barinten into the overarching conspiracy plot, and fails. Then it tries to expand on the hero's motivations beyond “is a good guy” and fails.

About the only thing it ends up accomplishing is giving us a bit more backstory about Rafa and Malak.

And even that's mostly just clarification of things we just heard.

Does confirm Barinten's status as 'total dickhole' though.

The most interesting thing to take away from this whole scene is how important Barinten was to Rafa and Malak, which does explain why Malak is so reluctant to believe that he is really a bad guy.

Malak was raised to look up to Barinten as a father figure, and apparently did not have to endure the same sort of abuses to which Rafa was victim. It's clear that Rafa and Malak are very close, but the way he slapped her at Yardow shows that he's ready to lash out when anything threatens his worldview. (It's also likely that Barinten made for a pretty poor role model.)

It's the five-oh! Cheese it!

Or it's a...frog? Yeah, Malak can talk through frogs, no big deal or anything.

Or maybe he is the frog, and was just disguised as a human all along? :lost:

I know I just finished trying to explain some of Malak's actions but gently caress it, the guy is a douche.

And then the frog explodes. Kind of like those Mission Impossible-style cassette tapes, but with more amphibian guts.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Now why couldn't they edit in the ability to control exploding frogs as part of Malak's skillset?
:v:

No, instead let's give Rafa axes and bring in freakin' Marche of all people.

Also, as many times as I've played through FFT, I don't think I've ever seen that dialogue between Malak and Generic Enemy Ninja.
Especially odd since I can remember one time fighting that battle where Malak actually KILLED Rafa.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 28, 2013

• Locked thread