Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, I can see the church still being OK with this so far. As far as they're aware, Delita is their loyal agent. They wanted someone to kill the leaders on both sides, and clearly it was Delita's job to take out Goltana. But they can't have their highly-placed agent under suspicion for murder, so they need a patsy with a motive to take the fall- Cid. But dragging the real Cid up to Goltana's room to murder would be difficult.

Now, they may not have wanted him escaping, but I can see Delita saying he'd kill the real Cid discreetly if they sent him a convincing and devout look-alike.

It's also possible that, as Nakar implied, our body double (seriously i thought "Grevados" was his name and it was just a throw-a-way name for the NPC for the longest time) was brought in without any approval above Delita. Presumably the Chruch gives him/expects him to recruit some disposable agents for dirty work, and this one had the (mis)fortune of looking like Cid. The question that i think bugs people is "won't people notice that's not quite Cid" but if i had to guess, he's relying on 1)lack of photo IDs 2)sheer bravado, since he's pretty close to Cid so if he says "The Cid is dead!" everybody else will take his word for it that it's the right body and 3) maybe Ivalacian burial rites discourage people particularly close to the deceased from getting physically close before interment(wise given all the poison going around).

So, a little piece of history that i think is kind of neat as inversion. Our Thunder-God Cid here has been falsely declared dead before his time and is secretly sneaking off to wage war right after a battle didn't happen that should have. The real life El Cid (Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar) was falsely declared alive after his death and his corpse was suited up, put on horseback, and launched into open battle in order to prop up morale during a decisive massive battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Does Orlandu's AllSkill gets the new DarkSword skills? In the vanilla FFT, he did learn all of Gaff's skills (all two of them, but still).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Szurumbur posted:

Does Orlandu's AllSkill gets the new DarkSword skills? In the vanilla FFT, he did learn all of Gaff's skills (all two of them, but still).

As you'll see in not very long, Orlandu has been nerfed into the ground. You can probably imagine how that answers your question.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Level?Flare. Taking a guess. Assuming the 'Level' part isn't a lie, it's likely checking your tens or units as a multiplier. Probably your units, since that's more mobile than 10s. Am I wrong?

I'm surprised you didn't leave the third tier Goblins their life draining.
Algus had extra Knight breaks even in standard FFT-they're not an addition from this.

Wonder if that previous LP can be found-I remember it and would like to see that one compared to this.

Random Trivia: The Zodiac Beasts do have class descriptions. A lot of unused/sprite only do, to be honest. Only putting it because of the lock on viewing them.

Queklain, Impure King: One who wants all hideous impurities. When controlled by his wickedness, becomes difficult for a human to even maintain sanity.

Velius, Warlock: Strange monster created by the holy stone. Sends enemies to hell by wounding their bodies and spirit.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.
Orlandu are not suck, just not inba nemore!

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Archael posted:

Could whoever hit Archael on the head with a brick please hit him with another one from the opposite direction?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sorites posted:

Could whoever hit Archael on the head with a brick please hit him with another one from the opposite direction?

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
I think that was either phoneposting or an attempt to imitate the sometimes-awful FFT Translation.

I hope.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Archael posted:

His base job is almost as bad as vanilla Agrias. And then to add insult to injury his skillset includes a good chunk of the class you're going to have to stick him in to be worth a drat.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I think that was either phoneposting or an attempt to imitate the sometimes-awful FFT Translation.

I hope.

Wooooooosh

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

dis astranagant posted:

His base job is almost as bad as vanilla Agrias. And then to add insult to injury his skillset includes a good chunk of the class you're going to have to stick him in to be worth a drat.

Which, to be fair, is better than having him only require one class to break the entire game over his knee.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
His skillset is still amazing. Haters gonna hate but I brought Orlandu to the final battle in spite of being a male swordskiller with poo poo stats.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Which, to be fair, is better than having him only require one class to break the entire game over his knee.

Orlandu, and by extension the other swordskillers too, are merely pretty good in the end. The nerfing of Chaos Blades to 24 WP is a 40% reduction in late game damage output. Cloud is the new TG Cid in 1.3.

Nakar posted:

His skillset is still amazing. Haters gonna hate but I brought Orlandu to the final battle in spite of being a male swordskiller with poo poo stats.

His skillset is good for long battles, except for the somewhat less than optimal amount of MP.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 30, 2013

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.
Specials should be powerful and useful in their base jobs, however here's where I see a slight problem

Agrias --- Mustadio --- Boco --- ONION KNIGHT --- RAFA --- MALAK --- Marche --- Death Knight --- Orlandu --- Other Stuff

Everyone there is fine except the 3 in CAPS LOCK have so much drat utility that they make other specials seem "meh" in comparison. Boco is fine although his Choco Star scales a little too well.

Orlandu is still a very good special, just not compared to those 3. If you analyze those for a moment you'll see that they excel at damage to single targets, which a vast majority of assassination missions consist of. If they ever get nerfed it'll probably be minor stuff, though. Such as a small speed decrease for Malak as well as less MP pools for both Rafa / Malak. Onion Knight is a hard one, because she's amazing with other setups- not just 2Hands physical stuff.

On the other hand, the mod is hard enough that helping the player in any way is always welcome, so it's likely that they don't really need nerfing at all. If you were to bring up every other special to that level of utility it'd be too much, though.

Archael fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 30, 2013

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

Corvinus posted:

Orlandu, and by extension the other swordskillers too, are merely pretty good in the end. The nerfing of Chaos Blades to 24 WP is a 40% reduction in late game damage output. Cloud is the new TG Cid in 1.3.

I'm glad you added that spoiler to the end, because I would have seriously questioned whether you had played Vanilla had you not.

...what? I liked Lightning Stabbing the game 750 damage at a time...

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I'm glad you added that spoiler to the end, because I would have seriously questioned whether you had played Vanilla had you not.

...what? I liked Lightning Stabbing the game 750 damage at a time...

Throwing 999s out like you just don't care is amusing, but now it takes a couple different characters to do that, and with more restrictions.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

Corvinus posted:

Throwing 999s out like you just don't care is amusing, but now it takes a couple different characters to do that, and with more restrictions.

I once put myself in a position where I couldn't finish a Vanilla FFT game without Orlandu. Any time I brought him into battle the fights were easy and he strutted around destroying everything. Whenever I chose not to use him, I'd face parties of level 99 Dragons and such that unrepentantly ground my other characters into dust. It was very embarrassing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Corvinus posted:

Such as "Onion Knight with any high-end spear or pole."

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Nakar posted:

Well, one-shotting a single enemy a turn is a lot more balanced than AoE one-shotting a line or cluster of enemies with Holy Explosion/Lightning Stab. Besides, she's not even the best at murdering Zodiac monsters.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Nakar posted:

OK still has to choose between Concentrate or Attack UP for a support slot and has to get up close to deal large amounts of damage and is forced into grabbing a spear or pole with both hands (aka no shield) if you want the bonus damage.

Vanilla Orlandu's Lightning Stab was Ranged with Built-In 100%, AOE with a damage multiplier- free support slot for Attack UP and free hand for a shield.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Sidequest: Mysterious Metal Orb

Like any RPG worth its salt, Final Fantasy Tactics has a good bit of optional content. Over the course of Chapter 4 new battles and secret characters can be unlocked.

While 1.3 certainly ratcheted up the difficulty across the board, the optional content is where Archael really went crazy-go-nuts. Most of the battles don't even begin resemble their vanilla incarnations.

Right now though, we're stuck staring at this big metal ball that Mustadio's dad pulled out of the ground.

This scene is triggered simply by visiting Goug. We'll have to periodically return to the Machine City as the chapter progresses in order to trigger new stuff.

There's obviously more to this metal orb than meets the eye.

Not only do the Zodiac Stones summon demons, revive ninjas, and start wars, they also run fancy ancient gizmos.

To unlock the secrets of this machine, we'll need the Aquarius Stone.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 3, 2013

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
The first time one sees the 1.3 Colliery, oh man, I hope your tender bits are well protected.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Sidequest: The Hunter

To trigger the next step in our sidequest, we need to do a bit of bar hopping.

Specifically, asking about rumors in the Goland tavern informs us that a ferocious monster has taken up residence in the coal mines, and the city is dire need of a strong hunter to take care of the problem.

Before we can head off to the mines, however, we need to first visit another pub, this time in nearby Lesalia.

Wander in off the street, we can overhear a group of mercenaries discussing the closing of the mines.

Prufrock orders milk at bars, because he is just so precious.

Anyway, these guys just go over what we already heard in Goland: monster in the coal mines, Knights aren't solving the problem, big reward for taking care of it.

Well, our hero may not care about the pay, but I'm certainly in it for the loot!

Rampaging around a coal mine doesn't seem like the kind of thing a Holy Dragon would do, but we've seen stranger.

On the way out, this well-dressed gentleman asks to come along. RPG Rule #28: Always trust mysterious strangers you meet in a tavern!

Can't hurt to have one more tag along so long as he doesn't use up a slot in our formation :argh:

Beowulf has his own job class, Temple Knight, so you know he's important. His Magic Sword skillset is basically a bunch of instant-cast, single-target versions of the Oracle's Yin-Yang Magics. It'll be a bit before we really get to see him shine, though. Let's just say the next few battles are not especially kind to status users.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 3, 2013

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
I love all of these side-quests and rumors. My original PS1 copy of this game permafroze any time I entered a bar :argh: but it's nice to see them all now.

On another note, I went through the box of childhood treasures that my mom saved, amongst my illuminating elementary school progress reports, I found a few drawings of Ramza and Delita, and my 5th grade yearbook which listed my favorite game as FFT.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure how it'll be in 1.3, but in vanilla, Beowulf was insane and could break the game far worse than even Orlandu could dream of. If you strapped him with an Excalibur for the Haste effect, he could have most of the field turned to stone or chickens in no time.

He isn't as good on bosses, but on anything else Beowulf was by FAR the most powerful character in the game.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 3, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fenrir posted:

Not sure how it'll be in 1.3, but in vanilla, Beowulf was insane and could break the game far worse than even Orlandu could dream of. If you strapped him with an Excalibur for the Haste effect, he could have most of the field turned to stone or chickens in no time.

He isn't as good on bosses, but on anything else Beowulf was by FAR the most powerful character in the game.

So bosses are not actually immune to chicken. They won't get the graphic effect, but they will run away, not attack, and gain +1 brave per turn until back to ten. So uh beowulf is crazy against bosses.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tulip posted:

So bosses are not actually immune to chicken. They won't get the graphic effect, but they will run away, not attack, and gain +1 brave per turn until back to ten. So uh beowulf is crazy against bosses.

Hmm, what bosses did you try that on? I've lowered at least one notable boss to 1 Brave, and they continued to attack and behave normally. They still gained 1 Brave per turn up until they get back to 10, but they were not behaving like a Chicken.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Beowulf's skillset was nerfed for 1.3, but is still extremely powerful on anything not immune to status effects.

In fact, he's arguably stronger in 1.3, but can you figure out why? I didn't in my run and man it sucks that I didn't, holy poo poo that guy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Schwartzcough posted:

Hmm, what bosses did you try that on? I've lowered at least one notable boss to 1 Brave, and they continued to attack and behave normally. They still gained 1 Brave per turn up until they get back to 10, but they were not behaving like a Chicken.

The only one i remember is the last boss. After i saw that i kind of stopped caring about breaking vanilla any further.

FrancisYorkMorgan
Jun 6, 2010

Fenrir posted:

He isn't as good on bosses
You need to go cast drain on a Lucavi right now. Shock makes quick work of non-Lucavi bosses as well. Not the best option but Beowulf is a pretty OP character all around.

He was always my favorite.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isn't his Drain supposed to be a Night Sword clone in 1.3? That's what the documentation shows it as anyway. It's neat that it works but that's not exactly a pile of offense.

FrancisYorkMorgan
Jun 6, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Isn't his Drain supposed to be a Night Sword clone in 1.3? That's what the documentation shows it as anyway. It's neat that it works but that's not exactly a pile of offense.
I was talking about the original where casting drain did percent damage based of an enemy's max HP meaning he was easily doing 999 damage to the various Lucavi you encounter during the game.

FrancisYorkMorgan fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 3, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I figured, I just thought you were talking about 1.3 where that's not the case.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Lowering a Bosses Brave to 1 does nothing to their behavior.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Archael posted:

Lowering a Bosses Brave to 1 does nothing to their behavior.

Is that true for all bosses? I was pretty sure the last boss freaks out, maybe that one's an exception?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yes, Beowulf! :neckbeard: Love that guy. He was always a mainstay of my party.

Also looking forward to what Archael did to the Colliery fights. I've never tried 1.3, but I have played LFT, and the Colliery fights there are insane.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tulip posted:

Is that true for all bosses? I was pretty sure the last boss freaks out, maybe that one's an exception?
As far as I know it does nothing to Lucavi whatsoever, except they regen 1 Br/turn and their reactions almost never go off.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

Nakar posted:

Beowulf's skillset was nerfed for 1.3, but is still extremely powerful on anything not immune to status effects.

In fact, he's arguably stronger in 1.3, but can you figure out why? I didn't in my run and man it sucks that I didn't, holy poo poo that guy.

No I can't figure out why and I want to know! :gonk:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
About the only thing that could make him stronger than he was in normal is to make his stuff entirely non-Faith dependant or have a success rate so high that Faith, compatibility, or both were completely nulled, given that his gimmick is being an 'Oracle-Knight'. But that ain't likely given the changes already witnessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bloodly posted:

About the only thing that could make him stronger than he was in normal is to make his stuff entirely non-Faith dependant or have a success rate so high that Faith, compatibility, or both were completely nulled, given that his gimmick is being an 'Oracle-Knight'. But that ain't likely given the changes already witnessed.
Two Swords Sage, Sword + Faith Rod. Enjoy!

• Locked thread