Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Honestly, if you're not being hyper-literal the new translation can carry the same meaning. I don't like the WotL translation as much as the other Ivalice stuff, but it's still fun and fits the story well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Synastren posted:

I think you're talking about this change:

Original was "Teta saved me back then..."
War of the Lions was "She [Tietra] watched over me then - as she does now."

The original line was more ambiguous; did Teta literally shield Delita with her body--or did he use her corpse to shield himself? Did she use the last of her strength to save him? Did her death have such an effect as to completely alter his worldview and save him from his peasant's fate? More than one of these? :iiam:

In WotL, she was apparently acting as a guardian angel.

Something to think about : The Delita's Sis class has only two moves:Cure and Wish. With that in mind, I'm fairly sure she healed him.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 30, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Sorites posted:

What was it in the original version's original Japanese?

I got curious so I checked out some Japanese guy's LP of War of the Lions. The line is "ティータが助けてくれた." My understanding of Japanese is loving awful but it seems closer to the PSX translation -- 助ける is the Japanese verb for "to save; to rescue"

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.
Final Fantasy Tactics PSX Translation Master Race!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/ArnoBrekerDiePartei.jpg/300px-ArnoBrekerDiePartei.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Heavy neutrino posted:

I got curious so I checked out some Japanese guy's LP of War of the Lions. The line is "ティータが助けてくれた." My understanding of Japanese is loving awful but it seems closer to the PSX translation -- 助ける is the Japanese verb for "to save; to rescue"

gently caress writing like an adult i'm gonna romaji it up.

"Tiita ga tasukete kureta"

To make that a bit more transparent, "tasukete" is a conjugation of "to save"(it can be used less melodramatically as basically 'help') that is being used here so that it can be modified by the auxiliary verb "kureru" ("kureta" is past tense), which is used to indicated that the speaker received the given action.

Something that is important here is that there is another auxiliary verb, "morau," which can be used basically the exact same way, except that "morau" requires an active, animate agent while "kureru" is agnostic on what does the action - if fall graciously does the favor of providing you with beautiful falling leaves, you can't use 'morau' but you can use 'kureru.' So the original Japanese leaves open the possibility that it was just Teta's corpse that helped.

Also this means i've been mispronouncing "Teta" all this time.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Tulip posted:

Also this means i've been mispronouncing "Teta" all this time.

Not aided much by WotL rendering into something like 'Tietra' which demands an 'e'.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 40: Poeskas Lake

Next up on our list of lovely locations on the Ivalician border is the ruins at Poeskas Lake.

Known locally as "Death Lake", the actual lake itself dried up long ago. What remains is a giant salt flat and some ruins left by the people who used to live on the lake.

Oh, and it's also :ghost: haunted :ghost:

Even the dead are after the Holy Stones.

So as you would imagine, this is another undead fight, similar to Yuguo Woods (though in my opinion, much easier).

A Dark Summoner, Dark Oracle, two Dark Marksmen, and two third-tier Ghosts make up the enemy formation in this battle.

The Marksmen can pump out a good bit of damage (they come equipped with Ultimus Bows and obviously have an excellent firing position) but the real threats are the Dark Summoner, whose offensive magic is just disgusting, and the two Revenants, who you'll recall have an instant Stop as well as Blade Grasp to protect them from physical attacks.

Fortunately, the same tactic that worked in the Yuguo Woods is just as effective here.

Seal Evil still dominates undead, and our leveled-up Mustadio has an even higher Speed, making it that much more accurate.

The Dark Oracle likes to run right at the player formation. In this case, he's charging a Petrify on Prufrock. Unfortunately, this Omega from Marche just isn't enough to stop it from going off.

Only one of the two Dark Marksmen has Concentrate, so the other's attacks can be Evaded with a bit of luck (or the Mantle + Shield combo that Mustadio usually rolls with). Of course, Physical Evasion is pretty worthless otherwise, as Ghosts in 1.3 have Innate: Transparent.

As for the Revenants, here's a bit of Grease Touch. Beowulf is lucky enough to be missed...

...but Marche doesn't fare so well. Having to deal with two incoming Grease Touches each round can be pretty nasty, particularly because Stop is so difficult to remove. After the Dark Summoner, it's vital to deal with the Revenants ASAP.

Beowulf's Break swordskill isn't quite as accurate as Seal Evil, but it's still an instant Petrification.

Speaking of Petrification...

Beowulf could have tried to stop the spell going off by using Break on the Oracle rather than one of the Revenants, but bad Zodiac compatibility put the chance of the swordskill connecting at around 30% and having to endure another round of Grease Touch would be bad times.

A bit too late to save his master, C4L1.ban nevertheless blows the ectoplasmic crap out of the Dark Oracle.

Only the Dark Marksmen remain, so even with both Prufrock and Marche out of action, it's mostly a matter of closing this thing out.

Along with the Dark Summoner, the two Marksmen deal the bulk of the enemy formation's damage, and they do hit quite hard.

Damage Split can do a decent job mitigating their firepower (it sort of works for the Dark Summoner too, provided your units can actually survive any of her big spells) though of course Stopped units don't get Reactions.

Without Damage Split, racing the Dark Marksmen's damage with healing would be futile, but fortunately, the player only has to survive long enough to take them out.

:hellyeah:

Marche refuses to go down. Sure, he's contributed very little other than being a nice pincushion, but giving the Marksmen something to plink away at while the actually-dangerous units advanced is surprisingly helpful.

Steel Giants getting Item as a secondary may be one of my favorite changes.

And finally, Mustadio manages to get into position and end the fight.

Overall, Poeskas Lake isn't too challenging. In terms of :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: battles, Yuguo Woods was much scarier. Probably the worst thing that could happen would be Mustadio getting slapped by an early Grease Touch with a team that has no way of removing Stop (having someone with Basic Skill / Guts is probably a good idea for just that reason) or failing to deal with the Dark Summoner and watching her blow everybody up with Bahamut.

While our hero is off putting the dead to rest, Dycedarg Beoulve meets with a representative from the Templars.

With Duke Larg dead, Dycedarg is the top man on the totem pole among Orinas's supporters.

Should the Hokuten manage to get Orinas on the throne for good, Dycedarg would almost certainly be declared Regent, as Larg had planned to be.

It seems the Templars are privy to all of Dycedarg's dirty secrets, which only makes sense.

Remember that Dycedarg told Zalbag (just after stabbing Larg) that whoever spread the poison in the air at Bethla was a supporter of House Beoulve.

However, this conversation casts some doubt as to the nature of Dycedarg's relationship with the Templars. It certainly doesn't read like two men in league.

Dycedarg probably thinks that he's the one playing the Church instead of the other way around.

Now's a good time to recall something that was said the last time we saw Dycedarg.

Specifically, the late Duke Larg's dying words.

A lot of people feel like the Templars really get overshadowed by Delita in this game.

While it's hard to disagree with that assessment, I think that something can still be said for the Templars as solid, if unremarkable, villains.

Izlude, Wiegraf, and Vormav have all been pretty distinctive antagonists, too. As a villainous organization, they're not homogenous.

Even Balk had some interesting extra dialogue during the one fight in which he appeared, showing that each member of the order might have his or her own reasons for joining.

The biggest complaint is that, at about the same time the Templars become the main villains, the story turns from an interesting political drama with no 'right' side into a fairly standard Good vs. Evil kill-the-demons fantasy romp.

I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the Templars for that shift: though they're very heavily tied to the Lucavi plot, their machinations as the military arm of the Glabados Church play a pretty important role in the Lion War at large.

As cliche as the Evil Fantasy Religion is, I think that even (or especially!) without the Zodiac Stones, the Templars could have been good antagonists.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 3, 2013

S-n-S
Oct 27, 2010
I honestly felt that the Lucavi were the weakest link in the story, but FFT is still my favorite Final Fantasy. It just seemed that the antagonists were more compelling without also being giant demons and up until later developments, the story could have worked quite well as a political fantasy where people just so happen to be capable of magic.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I always kind of read the whole "it turns into an evil-demon-hunt" element as due more to Ramza recognizing how completely incapable he is of controlling the political machinations, how much of a pawn he is, and changing his focus to targeting a manageable, describable foe. The simplicity of the plot seems to track negatively with the degree to which Ramza has political goals. The "evil demons" don't enter the plot when Ramza is a full-on political agent in Chapter One, and in Chapter Two we can see increasingly how despairing he is of being able to achieve meaningful change. His later interactions with Zalmo completely alienate him from politics as he realizes that institutional, ideological change is impossible, coming right at the same time as Delita makes it clear to him that he is utterly incapable of using the frankly massive killing power he has to achieve ends in the murky realpolitik of the realm. Reading a little bit of FFTA's Freudianism into this, we may not even have really good cause to believe that the demons are what they appear to be, it may just be an index of Ramza's desperate attempts to rationalize his exercise of power, to bury the dead with more than a weary shrug.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I know it's not the case, but leaving the previously said word bubble in the screenshot gives me this wonderful impression that the character says the same sentence anew in every screenshot, which makes me laugh :v:

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Tulip posted:

I always kind of read the whole "it turns into an evil-demon-hunt" element as due more to Ramza recognizing how completely incapable he is of controlling the political machinations, how much of a pawn he is, and changing his focus to targeting a manageable, describable foe. The simplicity of the plot seems to track negatively with the degree to which Ramza has political goals. The "evil demons" don't enter the plot when Ramza is a full-on political agent in Chapter One, and in Chapter Two we can see increasingly how despairing he is of being able to achieve meaningful change. His later interactions with Zalmo completely alienate him from politics as he realizes that institutional, ideological change is impossible, coming right at the same time as Delita makes it clear to him that he is utterly incapable of using the frankly massive killing power he has to achieve ends in the murky realpolitik of the realm. Reading a little bit of FFTA's Freudianism into this, we may not even have really good cause to believe that the demons are what they appear to be, it may just be an index of Ramza's desperate attempts to rationalize his exercise of power, to bury the dead with more than a weary shrug.

I think I like this interpretation of FFT even more than the "Squall is Dead" meme.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Tulip posted:

Or more likely it's just that Matsuno's stories usually start with political intrigue and end with evil god worship.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Tulip posted:

I partly agree but I think it's also important to remember the overarching frame narrative: the political machinations are happening, there's a huge war of succession, and Ramza has discovered that there's also some devil cult that kidnapped his sister.

The political story is still going on, but everyone already knows the ending to that story (except us). Arazlam is telling the untold history of Ramza and the role he played in the familiar history, which theoretically goes to explain the other players' actions in more depth. (Why did Cid, the most powerful man in the continent, suddenly become a traitor? Who's the kid Delita who keeps showing up?)

edit: I disagree with the Freudian bit, unless you want to start casting doubt on Arazlam. The game is about discovering a hidden history; discovering a false hidden history is an unnecessary swerve with nothing in the game to hint at it (aside from an argument that Orlan might not really be the most powerful wizard of the century).

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 3, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Ramza just running around crushing old men and throwing guys off rooftops while his band of followers kidnaps children and slaughters whole contingents of knights - and the future king knowing about it and doing nothing to stop it and even encouraging it at times - just doesn't make for good historical drama, you know?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Szurumbur posted:

I know it's not the case, but leaving the previously said word bubble in the screenshot gives me this wonderful impression that the character says the same sentence anew in every screenshot, which makes me laugh :v:

Actually, I remember that practically happening in this scene, although Prufrock didn't seem to include it. I remember Dycedarg going, "what's your point?" when Rofel subtly suggests Dycedarg killed his own father, followed by "so..... what's your point?" when Rofel practically spells it out. Dycedarg is a master of playing dumb.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
FFT had a lot cut out. There's evidence there were plans to have a Lucavi for every stone at some point and in side materials, there are names for each of the Lucavi and which stone they serve. Draclau and Vormav plan on using Ovelia for their political schemes in Ch.2, but it's all left aside for Delita becoming a Machivellian manipulator, and we don't hear of it ever again, let alone even the Lucavi wanting to get back at Delita for betraying them. If you hack Teta into the game, she'll display a completely unused but similar sprite on the roster screen that even Matsuno can't remember who it was for. Elidibs has the demon classification, which would allow them to display in your party without glitching, as opposed to the rest of his Lucavi brethren, which will glitch out in your roster, so there were probably plans there too. Delita has an unused Arc Knight class for his final sprite upgrade that uses the Divine Knight's Destroy Sword skillset as opposed to Holy Sword. Etc. Of all the additions to War of the Lions they could have given, additions to the main storyline would have bee nice.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PFlats posted:

I partly agree but I think it's also important to remember the overarching frame narrative: the political machinations are happening, there's a huge war of succession, and Ramza has discovered that there's also some devil cult that kidnapped his sister.

The political story is still going on, but everyone already knows the ending to that story (except us). Arazlam is telling the untold history of Ramza and the role he played in the familiar history, which theoretically goes to explain the other players' actions in more depth. (Why did Cid, the most powerful man in the continent, suddenly become a traitor? Who's the kid Delita who keeps showing up?)

edit: I disagree with the Freudian bit, unless you want to start casting doubt on Arazlam. The game is about discovering a hidden history; discovering a false hidden history is an unnecessary swerve with nothing in the game to hint at it (aside from an argument that Orlan might not really be the most powerful wizard of the century).

Thinking like a historian, this isn't just the story of how Ramza is a hero, it's the story of how incredibly heroic Orlandu's family is. If the plot is "Cid didn't turn traitor, he joined up with Ramza to attempt to end the bloodshed that the Church is doing!" we are left with a hanging problem of "Why isn't Ramza the real hero?" Which he IS, to the player of the video game. But in the context of this as a discovered history, Ramza here takes on an important aspect of Hong Xiuquan: he's completely goddamn nuts. What we're seeing in the game isn't Arazlam's complete history of the Lion War, he's walking us through a particular primary source that is heavily inflected by Ramza's point of view. It is the historian's duty to, even if only temporarily, take seriously all things said in a primary account, and that means taking it seriously that Ramza is battling literal, non-metaphoric demons. Within Ramza's perspective, he's a reasonable, perhaps even mild, man confronted with an utterly unreasonable world with schemers and demons.

This isn't to say that Ramza's story is complete bullshit, or even largely untrue. It is to say that when you kill Wiegraf, you killed Wiegraf, there need not be Velius. "Velius" functions as Ramza's attempt to remove any sort of ambiguity. He's basically on a giant murder spree to kill a whole shitload of dudes involved in a specific Church-centered conspiracy that spans both sides of the war, but the added detail of "They're DEMONS!" adds little to the historical significance of the events beyond making it clear to us that Ramza's unwillingness to confront the complexity of his political situation drove him into delusional zealotry. While the work overall mostly recovers Ramza to the detriment of Delita, Ramza is still an uneasy hero, while some of the other characters (how much do we care about story spoilers?) receive unambiguous, complete and full rehabilitation.

(i'm seriously just making this up as i go along for fun, i hadn't even really thought about how it would make Arazlam look like an unreliable narrator which would be dumb, Ramza being an unreliable narrator is kind of fun)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's worth considering, then, Tulip, if magic is still around in Arazlam's time. A story with "also DEMONS!" wouldn't be so absurd if there were table lamps that are still powered by condensed wizardry.

But then, there's there question of when Arazlam is writing. The brave story section calls him a modern historian and the setting of FFT medieval Ivalice, and the title of one of his books implies he's writing 400 years after FFT takes place. It seems strange that something as relatively common as magic would become so forgotten in only 400 years' time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's worth considering, then, Tulip, if magic is still around in Arazlam's time. A story with "also DEMONS!" wouldn't be so absurd if there were table lamps that are still powered by condensed wizardry.

But then, there's there question of when Arazlam is writing. The brave story section calls him a modern historian and the setting of FFT medieval Ivalice, and the title of one of his books implies he's writing 400 years after FFT takes place. It seems strange that something as relatively common as magic would become so forgotten in only 400 years' time.

How long was Vagrant Story supposed to happen after FFT? Already by that time, magic was basically a thing of fairy tales. (Or Faerie Tales)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That is an angle i've been thinking about. I've been taking it for granted that the magic aspect is totally normal, but i'm trying to remain agnostic on that since we don't get good hints, whereas the disconnect within "Ramza is a mild-mannered young man WHO KILLS EVERYTHING THAT MOVES" and "this is a plot about political intrigue, ALSO DEMONS." What matters for the functioning of my theory is the possession by forces that can't be negotiated with. Hell, nothing really changes about what i said even if the zodiac transformations still make people crazy wizard-powerful, what matters is whether or not Velius is really different from Wiegraf.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Schwartzcough posted:

How long was Vagrant Story supposed to happen after FFT? Already by that time, magic was basically a thing of fairy tales. (Or Faerie Tales)
I think Durai's time is sometime around or after Vagrant Story's time, roughly. Even then, people in Vagrant Story knew magic existed, it was just extremely rare and unusual. Ashley Riot doesn't have to pry his jaw off the floor every time he finds a magic sword or kills an animate skeleton, even though a lot of things in Lea Monde haven't been seen in centuries.

Also worth nothing that if indeed Ivalice is in-continuity as it's been stated to, it's a historical fact that the world used to be more magical and fantastical. Look at FFXII: Massive empires powered by magical technology, airships commonplace in the skies (a point mentioned in FFT), floating continents (a point also mentioned in FFT), the active presence of the very gods themselves... all of this poo poo actually happened. The people who knew of Murond's existence and such in FFT are relating actual history, and there are places like Gariland where magic is actively studied.

So basically you'd have to start calling Matsuno the unreliable narrator at that point, as while it might be reasonable for someone in Durai's time to call it a fanciful account, based on what we know of Ivalice's history it could be totally true. And Vagrant Story outright tells us that magic totally still exists but its power has waned and it is now found only in the darkest corners of the world.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Nakar posted:

I think Durai's time is sometime around or after Vagrant Story's time, roughly.

Actually that reminds me, I think Durai came before Vagrant Story. This quote appears during the VS intro:

“The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.”
― A.J. Durai

So yeah, I guess people knew about magic in VS, even if no one had seen it in their lifetime. And since Durai came earlier, magic in the story shouldn't be too shocking.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

It's a drat shame the Templars just wound up on the whole being boring evil villains. It would have been cool to see the political angle played through to the end, with the Templars being really powerful enemies without resorting to demons.

Granted, the weird thing is I liked the demon aspects and all that with Vagrant Story. But I guess that was because the story was centered more around those elements instead of taking a bat to a different kind of story unlike the story FFT started telling before the Zodiac Stones.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tulip posted:

This isn't to say that Ramza's story is complete bullshit, or even largely untrue. It is to say that when you kill Wiegraf, you killed Wiegraf, there need not be Velius. "Velius" functions as Ramza's attempt to remove any sort of ambiguity. He's basically on a giant murder spree to kill a whole shitload of dudes involved in a specific Church-centered conspiracy that spans both sides of the war, but the added detail of "They're DEMONS!" adds little to the historical significance of the events beyond making it clear to us that Ramza's unwillingness to confront the complexity of his political situation drove him into delusional zealotry. While the work overall mostly recovers Ramza to the detriment of Delita, Ramza is still an uneasy hero, while some of the other characters (how much do we care about story spoilers?) receive unambiguous, complete and full rehabilitation.

Demons? They look like demons to you?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, Vagrant Story is about confronting all sorts of dark powers with the occasional derail into politics, FFT is a story about politics with a permanent derail into a witch hunt of sorts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Nakar posted:

I think Durai's time is sometime around or after Vagrant Story's time, roughly. Even then, people in Vagrant Story knew magic existed, it was just extremely rare and unusual. Ashley Riot doesn't have to pry his jaw off the floor every time he finds a magic sword or kills an animate skeleton, even though a lot of things in Lea Monde haven't been seen in centuries.
On the other hand, I distinctly remember a scene with two soldiers going all :aaaaa: at the sight of a levitating platform.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Pierzak posted:

On the other hand, I distinctly remember a scene with two soldiers going all :aaaaa: at the sight of a levitating platform.
Well sure, part of it is just Ashley Riot is a badass who sees a Wyvern show up outta nowhere and is all "I'm gonna have to kill that." Still, the point is those in the know are aware these things exist and once existed on a far grander scale (I think that's sort of the Duke's whole deal, isn't it?). In FFT, people are aware of the Zodiac Braves legend and of a time when airships existed and landmasses could fly. Remember, the Germonik Scriptures don't suggest the entire story the Church is based on is bullshit outright, just that the events were distinctly different in some key ways from what became the "official" account. The point isn't "the Zodiac Braves never existed and the holy stones are just bunk," it's "the stones are powerful objects but they and the Zodiac Braves are not what we thought they were and what it turns out they are is very bad news."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's kind of ambiguous if Vagrant Story really takes place in the same timeline as FFT/FFXII.

Matsuno's kind of flip flopy about it, it could be the same world, or it could just be little nods and references.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, I remember that practically happening in this scene, although Prufrock didn't seem to include it. I remember Dycedarg going, "what's your point?" when Rofel subtly suggests Dycedarg killed his own father, followed by "so..... what's your point?" when Rofel practically spells it out. Dycedarg is a master of playing dumb.

Here's this scene from War of the Lions:

Loffrey: So, you are unwilling to compromise on your position.

Dycedarg: Ivalice's reunification under its rightful king was His Grace's most fervent wish. We've no intention of laying down arms until Prince Orinus sits the throne that is his birthright. You will not steer the helm of Ivalice at your own pleasure. Not so long as this house stands.

Loffrey: Do you not know who made your assassination of the duke possible?

Dycedarg: I mislike the question. Larg was felled by a Southern Sky assassin. Or do you mean to say that you were the ones who sent him?

Loffrey: I'll not play at this fool's game. There is to be no convincing you, then?

Dycedarg: Were it our desire, we could crush the templarate like an overripe grape. Of that I am quite convinced.

Loffrey: Pray remove that fine white cloak beforehand. Burst grapes oft leave a fearsome stain. Tell me, this poison employed at Besselat—do you know what it was?

Dycedarg (after a moment of silence): I believe it was an extract of mossfungus spores.

Loffrey: So it was. An insidious thing, mossfungus. It takes a great quantity to kill a man, but the toxin never leaves the blood. The smallest, most undetectable of doses will prove lethal, if repeated oft enough.

Dycedarg: ...

Loffrey: Even a learned eye might confuse the symptoms with those of common affliction. Oft as not, the person being poisoned is never even aware. And should they become so, it is almost invariably too late. Your late lord father was taken by malady, was he not?

Dycedarg: Do you make some implication?

Loffrey: I'm told you yourself have some knowledge in poisoncraft.

Dycedarg: What of it?

Loffrey: I recently learned an interesting fact. I had wondered if you might be aware of it. Mossfungus poisoning leaves spores in the body. When a victim is buried, they say toadstools sprout above the grave.

Dycedarg: ...

WOTL makes it a little more clear that the Templars know a lot more about affairs at House Beoulve than Dycedarg is comfortable with. He tries to be evasive, yes, but Rofel (Loffrey) isn't having any of his bullshit.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Alternate alternate theory: this is the result of a tabletop dnd campaign that went off the rails because the players (let's say they're Marche and co, for extra layers of meta and hilarity) got bored with the political intrigue part and went off to slay demons instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dotchan posted:

Alternate alternate theory: this is the result of a tabletop dnd campaign that went off the rails because the players (let's say they're Marche and co, for extra layers of meta and hilarity) got bored with the political intrigue part and went off to slay demons instead.
That would make T.G. Cid the min/maxxing dude who never roleplays, who they get because they need another player.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I suppose I've chosen a bad scene to bring it up, since it's been a consistent part of most conversations. Oh well.

"Loffrey"

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Yes, some of the name choices in WotL seem a little...strange. Whereas things like "Southern Sky" I get, I don't really understand the point in changing Rofel's name to something as preposterous as "Loffrey."

That scene is a grind to read. It seriously sounds like some 8th grader reciting their own homemade Shakespeare piece.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Szurumbur posted:

I suppose I've chosen a bad scene to bring it up, since it's been a consistent part of most conversations. Oh well.

"Loffrey"

Not much better than Rofl, honestly.

I think the guy became part of an evil church conspiracy because his name is lame and he wants revenge.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Whereas things like "Southern Sky" I get

It was that the whole time, they just forgot to actually translate it the first time. :ssh:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hokuten and Nanten sound better.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Man, Loffrey sounds way too much like a certain A Song of Ice and Fire character (or Game of Thrones for you TV people).

Man, imagine what that series would be like if Joffrey could turn into a demon. You thought he was a monster BEFORE...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Bufuman posted:

Man, Loffrey sounds way too much like a certain A Song of Ice and Fire character (or Game of Thrones for you TV people).

Man, imagine what that series would be like if Joffrey could turn into a demon. You thought he was a monster BEFORE...

They actually did put in a shout-out to GoT in War of the Lions, if I remember right. Think it was if you bring Agrias to the second Gaffgarion fight (at the gallows).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Charles Bukowski posted:

Hokuten and Nanten sound better.

"Ten" is also like, 'heavens,' and also 'imperial('tennou' is 'Emperor of Japan').' Going into its more esoteric meanings you get stuff like 'deva' and 'Christian death' and notions tied into the nation-state and society, and tons of weather things like storms and also sunshine, and more abstractly things being 'natural.' "Nanten" is pretty clearly "southern sky," but that's hardly reason not to take some poetic license and say "Southern Imperial Knights," or "Knights of the Southern Heavens (or Knights South of Heaven :black101:)." If i were to go for ultimate poetry i'd probably go with "Knights of the Southern/Northern Cross," for invoking religion, authority, and the heavens all at once, though it does rely on the cultural primer of thinking of "Southern Cross" as a constellation.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Oh. I just pictured two guys on an open field shouting "HOKUUUU-TEEEEEEENNNNNNuh" and "NAAAAAAANNNNNNN-TEEEEEENNNNNNNuh" then they wave dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tulip posted:

If I were to go for ultimate poetry I'd probably go with "Fists of the Southern/Northern Star"
I knew it reminded me of something! Fixed :colbert:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 4, 2013

• Locked thread