Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

In the great tradition of hard as balls SRPGs, like Hoshigami: Ruining Your loving Life.

Why did you have to remind me of that loving game? At least it was kinda almost fun to try to break in places, unlike the awful slog our esteemed OP has wisely chosen to work around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai w/ geomancy secondary.

e: that's something like a warrior moonlighting as a mage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 4, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hamedo isn't useless against monsters, you just have to work a little harder to set it up. Everyone uses ATTACK while berserk, even if they have a skill that replicates that functionality.

Also re:LFT: I haven't played a hack yet that doesn't have a ridiculous hump to get over at Mandalia and Sweegy due to buffed up monsters. LFT is one of the worst offenders, since there's so much confusion and charm being tossed around (eye gouge confuses, red panthers have steal heart, plus there's some bugginess related to all monsters having Monster Skill which lets goblins bust out Stop Bracelet out of loving nowhere) but I've seen worse. CCP has sirens, which have a huge aoe poison + frog move as well as a long range charm. It also has adamantoise with over 100 hp at level 2, defense up, crazy damage and a chance to break your weapons. A fun hack, but there was a lot of resetting involved in just getting a couple fights in before Dorter.

I actually did an LFT Ramza and 4 monsters game a while back that was quite fun. I even managed a win on one of the super fights without losing any, though that was more a matter of having ninja Ramza pile on the scream cheese than anything the monsters were up to. They did work real well for the rest of the game, though.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 6, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gonna have to rain on the chain lightning lovefest a bit, if only because it is far, far weaker than kikuichimonji. They have similar multipliers (chain lightning's 14 to the kikuichimonji's 12) but draw out ignores faith and evasion, causing roughly double damage under more or less ideal conditions for chain lightning (assuming 70 faith for attacker and defender).

Hell, Earth Slash is quadratic in PA and passes chain lightning at reasonable levels (14 PA, less if faith isn't ideal). But it comes earlier than either of them and the extra range is nice. Factor in that you can stack both martial arts and attack up by staying in monk and this gets a little silly.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 7, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I'm reading that formula and wondering: Does it ignore the random element of those weapons in favor of damaging with a multiple of the weapon damage +4? That sounds pretty cool.

It kinda is but axes get outdated pretty quickly if you aren't on the psp version and I don't think bags work with 2 swords so they both wind up competing with knightswords. Add in the fact that only geomancers can even equip axes at it just ends up not being worth it in the end. If I'm wrong someone better show off a female ninja with a pair of fs bags and timed strike at some point, it would be hilarious.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It might be fun on samurai dual wielding high end katanas to get around their whole brave issue. It'll give them something to do when they aren't too busy nuking everyone.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Two hands only works with one handed weapons and then only with ATTACK. It doubles weapon power for that purpose only. Attack up multiplies PA by 4/3 and works on pretty much all physical attacks and skills (this includes steal and battle skill, btw). It pretty much only exists for samurai SCCs since samurai think shields are for pussies.

Actually, it doesn't even work with all 1h weapons unless 1.3 changed that. No daggers, cloths, bags or ranged weapons allowed

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 7, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, if you don't count the wotl axes you do more damage on average with any weapon with more than 11 wp which is roughly all of them past mid chapter 3. The 2 top axes are also elemental, which may complicate things a hair.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe. It's not like the endgame isn't rocket launcher tag without that. A properly built samurai has a chance to instakill many bosses :v:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 7, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Apropos of nothing but is lightning still pretty much nonelemental with benefits in 1.3? Resistance to lightning is more or less academic in vanilla, as it only shows up on a handful of rather rare pieces of equipment and no monsters causing it to generally be in a caster's best interest to pick up nothing but the lightning spells (and maybe an early ice spell to make sure goblins die cleanly).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Corvinus posted:

*Why wizards had loving terrible MA growth in vanilla, I do not know. Now they have appropriate growths with a bit of a loss of MA multiplier.

They didn't? Every class but mime and a couple uniques had 50. TBH I'd rather have unified growths for all classes, penalizing people for trying something new is very poor game design. The difference between 50 growth and 35 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 MA points by level 50.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 8, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Corvinus posted:

Are the male/female base bonus stats hardcoded?

About as hardcoded as anything else is. I don't think I'd change those much, they at least cause some interesting decisions.

Blarg, my latest round of stupid FFT mods somehow managed to gently caress up ribbons so they don't even work, has no petrify resistance possible and gave Velius a 100% ranged petrify that he just loves to spam.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 8, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Classtoise posted:

The name is silly considering that Final Fantasy 9 already gave us a super powerful dark-elemental spell with Doomsday.

That said, sorry if this question is answered, but is there a non-Hard Mode version of this hack, that just adds the new class, spells, etc, without jacking the difficulty up?

I'm bad at FFT but I still wanna see some of the changes in action :shobon:.

FFT 1.3 Content exists. It's still harder than vanilla but not as crazy as the main version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd just about call time mage the best overall class to sit a mage in for 1.3. The mix of speed and power is great and there's always something useful in their skillset.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep, punch art remains the best physical skillset by miles and 1.3's monks gained some extra speed (tied with time mage) to let them continue being just about the best class until very late in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

I agree with both points; the reason I don't really like 1.3 isn't its design choices, it's that I feel its intent and methods don't mesh well with the extremely diceroll-happy FFT engine.

I shudder to think what a "Hoshigami 1.3" would be like :stonk:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Azran posted:

1.3 has something that resulted really useful for me when I tried it for the first time - a dedicated forum. I love the LFT patch (though I should replay 1.3 with my recently-adquired knowledge :v:), but besides listing changes, the website gives no actual tips.
Silly example: Got into a battle where a guy instagibs any of your units while topping his health at the same time? Tough poo poo, son. Better read the BMG or look for some crappy Youtube videos.

With 1.3, at least I can go into Insane Difficulty and ask some questions. LFT's development forums have been dead for a while now.
At least, in my opinion. I guess I'll try to play along with the LP, but on the Content version.

That's because LFT is actually dead and has been for over a year not counting February's last bug fix release. You could get questions answered back when people were working on it, but it's been long enough that no one's really watching the thread anymore.

Another fun (but hilariously imbalanced) patch is CCP. It completely remakes all classes and items. A lot of the new skills are fun to use even if most everything becomes obsolete once you get your first loremaster.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tactician and Loremaster are far and away the best classes in that hack. I'd try to not use them but 999ing lucavi every other turn for free is just too much to pass up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Azran posted:

Isn't that the patch where Chemists got replaced by Butlers? :v: It's a shame to hear LFT died, to be honest - it had some good ideas and some horribly broken ones.

There was also the Rebirth patch, where I heard the creator modified how Speed worked, but I never tried it out.

I hope other FFT Hacks discussion it's alright with the OP, at least for some minimal discussion or comparison. Just tell me and I'll stop. :shobon:

Yep, CCP replaces chemists with butlers and housekeepers, both of which have short charge on their otherwise bland skillset :regd08:

As far as LFT goes, it's dead because the author considers it complete.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Now he just needs to do that but with a mime or 2 on the team :getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Please show off the pure comedy that is 3 dancers and 2 mimes. One lady uses last dance, the rest either set to work making sure no one has an attacking stat or use wiznaibus to sandpaper everyone down.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

Does that actually have a consequence? Everything is multiplicative as far as I'm aware, so there should be no error in integrating (oh god the bad terminology) MAtUP into MAM. Maybe I'm missing something?

Other than possible roundoff errors from using integer math, you're pretty much right.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

bathroomrage posted:

You know, this leads me to a question both about vanilla FFT and 1.3.

What skills are affected by weapon range? Is it just Battle Skill?

Charge, Battle Skill and Snipe are the only weapon range skills.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's a pretty bad build, but there's definitely something appealing about Gun Knights. They've got style.

Well, the magic guns have really high WP and battle skill success rates are based on that, so it's not a bad idea.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

What I meant by bad is that if you want someone to Battle Skill with guns, there are much better options. You might start with a class that isn't slower than the government on a FOIA request. (What a lovely joke)

Though it could be fun to send a Gun Knight with Counter solo into the enemy team and watch the bullets fly.

True. I'm a little spoiled by CCP's Gunslinger class, which are dualwielding gun-knights with cloth gear. They even get most of Snipe, though that's been reworked in a kinda dumb way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the FFT ai considers moving a required part of taking a turn unless prevented from doing so.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think the setting is in that instant where guns are half mythical things you heard a guy from halfway across the continent talking about someone in a neighboring country using but no one you know has ever so much as seen one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Even the final one, even though the description says it's not supposed to because it's unique. Although that may have been fixed since I haven't played that hack since the last thread was up.

The final one is not unique. The special DD fights happen pretty much every time you do the appropriate floor so you can farm for them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a war trophy from the Nogias special fight. You also get tons of vanquisher gear as war trophies from one of the other ones, complete with some nice repeatable steals. Almost all of the move-find stuff is shop junk in that mod for some reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lotish posted:

Is that mod good? It certainly looks different.

It's fun til you figure out some of the more broken poo poo and completely destroy any concept of it being difficult.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not a fan of how weak most of the weapon based jobs end up, but there are ways to kinda make them work through Riovanes or so.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, in CCP very few of the PA classes have a viable option besides marching up and mashing attack. Warrior has loving charge (completely unchanged loving worthless charge at that), champion and ghael are both slightly different flavored faith/MA/mp based white mages, nomad skills are situational at best and cost too much mp, and torero has a bunch of lame status attacks saved by the sheer brute force that is terminar. Gunslinger and Brawler are the only ones that have reliable offensive options, but for gunslinger that's just attacking with a 25% chance to cause a status effect. Brawler wound up basically being a swordskiller, in a game with MA based swordskills with 1.3 style nerfs buried in the rear end end of the job tree.

E: There's a preview of the next version of CCP up now, playable til the end of chapter 2.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 25, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GeneralYeti posted:

Also, it'd make more sense and be clearer as (PA*PA/2). Just a thing that bugged me.

I that's an artifact of how the BMG wrote things out. I want to say the first XA encountered in a formula is the one all the modifiers are dumped on, which makes a difference with all the truncation issues caused by using integer math everywhere.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Except enemies aren't weak to wind (or any other element) anymore. That's the point. There may be a few enemies that still have elemental weaknesses, but they're extremely rare if they exist at all.

I think he's saying to make them with oil and float.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not sure you can really call Delita an antagonist. For all his talk he always ends up fighting on Ramza's side and there's never really a time where Delita trying to use everyone ever manages to run counter to the player's goals.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dancers and Bards do have one fairly big nerf in 1.3: They can't be mimed. However, last song/dance have their speed and accuracy raised enough to be more or less equal to fairly aggressive mime abuse in vanilla.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

1.3 psx onion knights have much lower stats to make up for it, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Corvinus posted:

Gaff turns into a special crystal that does nothing but give you HP/MP.

It's not so much a special crystal as a case of him only having jp in NPC versions of classes and not the regular versions. You have to match both job and skill to get skills from crystals.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To be fair the roof of Riovanes is always about piling as much damage as you can on the weakest enemy as fast as you can. The fight ends when any enemy goes critical. Not so much a protect mission as an assassination with a very short timer.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grand Gigas posted:

Um, are the differences between gendered units huge? Because I started with a female with like 75 brave, but I read on the internet that Faith is more useful on women? Can she still be an amazing kickbutt, or is she forever doomed to be eh?

Males have about 25% more PA than females who have about 25% more MA than males. That's about a 2-3 point difference by endgame or pretty much precisely the difference of using strengthen <element> equipment.

Men average about 7% more HP (hp is randomized and honestly armor matters more anyway) and women average about 5% more MP with the same problems to consider.

TLDR: Dongs hit things, tits cast magic, no one really cares how much more of either kind of stamina anyone has.

• Locked thread