Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Good to see another shot at this game.

I just started a playthrough of 1.3 Content the other day. It's nice being able to deck my team out however I want without worrying that I'm destroying the game or resorting to an SCC. The revamps to some classes (especially Archer) are pretty nifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Turn Punch was a nightmare early on. That added AoE made it that much more dangerous, especially when you're trying to get into the groove of raising your party.

I loved the hell out of the White Mage changes. Having those cheaper offensive attacks made fights with White Magic so much more manageable. I'd get Equip Crossbow just so I had a long-ranged instant Holy attack. Squires having crossbows was a nice touch as well.

I didn't use most of the Marksman's abilities besides Timed Strike. They seemed interesting enough, but I wasn't sure about trying them out. Oil combos always seem like they'd be fun.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

Marksmen follow the pattern that they did in vanilla as Archers. They're neat early on (and their new skills are definitely more useful) and start to fall off hard around the middle of the game and never really have the ability to hang with the other units due to unexciting abilities and a lack of powerful weapons.

Yeah, sounds about right. Range is incredibly important early on. I always liked the simplicity of Marksmen; long range and Concentrate is safe, and you get to focus less on hoping an attack hits and just making sure not to make dumb mistakes. Granted, Marksmen get some decent range competition later on that more or less puts them out of a job.

Also, I discovered that (kinda spoilers for an upcoming job) Timed Strike doesn't blend with a Monk's fist, so no skullcrushing blows.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

In battles like this, I'd bring Throw Stone to knock the enemy off high areas. The knockback got a huge boost in this, I think 100% chance or thereabout.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised when Cyclone wrecked as much poo poo as it did for Bombs. It's a shame Wind magic always seems to be so underutilized or a nonentity in most FF games for whatever reason.

Dark Holy was the only real problem I had with Wizards. Not that having White Magic as a secondary is much of a problem, but it keeps it from being independent of Holy.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

On more even grounds, a fight like this update isn't too bad. Fun at times, even. What isn't fun are some later fights when the odds are vastly stacked against your favor, and trying to figure out whatever was supposed to be figured out to fight back. Granted, most of those fights are stuff you can prepare for and come back to (albeit resetting if you run into it when you aren't ready/don't want to fight), but later on it just gets ridiculous.

Though whenever my hiatus from 1.3 ends, I might see how Demi and Drain help, provided the enemies that are giving me trouble are actually affected by it...

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

How about naming it Sweettooth...cuz...cuz Needles Kane. :downs:

1000 Needles is a pretty nice move. Maybe I should recruit a Cactaur and ditch one of my lamer comrades. One change I would have liked in the PSX version of the hack is more units. 16 units, especially with all the new stuff, makes it really frustrating if you want to keep other dudes.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Plus, each class's stats are far less lopsided in this mod, so they can all function competently in their own class (especially Calculators. What the poo poo were they thinking with them in vanilla? I guess the tonberry mentality of slow, ruinous machines).

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Wait.

What.

The.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK?

Welp.

I love how both 1.3 LPs had a Game Over in Araguay, in essentially the same way, but in different tones.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Davzz posted:

The Gaf/Teta bug is fixed in the new version so you might want to update since I believe it also has a few other bug fixes.

On the other hand it's friggin hilarious so personally I would suggest holding off for a while.

I think I have the most recent version, which still had the glitch I think. Though in my case it had Gaf's sprite with Teta's color palette.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Zalmo was a good sport. In keeping with the poke-theme, he came in with the Thick Fat ability.

This fight is pretty tricky with all the wearing down you have to do. Though it's nice seeing the opponent using things like Damage Split. Plus, I love seeing monsters actually get to USE their absurd stats in this game, like with Counter Magic.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Fluellen for our new recruit.

Is the Onion Knight's Zodiac sign set or random?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

One thing that's been racking my brain on my re-playthrough of this mod is trying to decide who to keep by the endgame. Because of the new characters added, you now have no room for any extra units once you've recruited all the special characters. I wouldn't want to ditch a generic I've been raising since day one if they wound up being better than the special classes that come along throughout the game.

That's one feature I wish was added if it was possible: making the roster larger in the PSX version of 1.3.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

As a consolation in 1.3, I think Rafa and Malak's spells had their charge times removed. I don't know what vanilla was thinking with having their attacks have charge times AND being random.

It's like they were telling us right off the bat that these two are gonna be nothing but liabilities.

incidentally that might answer my question of who to ultimately ditch. :v:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 26, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Archael posted:

They did. These two are extremely strong specials in 1.3. They might be random, but if you narrow your targeting a bit by using the terrain, Rafa and Malak's spells can hit harder than a vast majority of things in the game. Malak's hit up to 10 times.

I've always had that terrain strategy in the back of my mind for taking advantage of their abilities. However, I don't think there are many places that have that kind of terrain, besides a few very situational cases. The big thing about their attacks is also their high vertical tolerance.

Still, I might toy around with them a bit since the damage potential is pretty high.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Archael posted:

Unfortunately, the AI is not aware of how the Mime command works. It uses Mimes like Monks with no skillsets. Walk up to target, punch target.

Even then, that punch is gonna hurt.

One thing I noticed about the AI is every now and then, when it's protecting an ally, it will move in the path of projectile attacks. It's easy to get around them, but it's a nice touch.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

The Onion Knight is pretty consistent in what she can do during the rest of the game. Although her trick is the same - huge stick damage and any armor - that keeps growing through the endgame. Plus, being able to ploonk out that kinda damage is invaluable for tanks like monsters.

I didn't use Marche as much as I could have, but he has some crazy potential damage. I've found that Snowball always seems to be stronger than you would think.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Nakar posted:

If you're not using OK with dual Spell Edges and MA gear, you're really missing out on how magically potent she can be (while still having Holy Strike to do melee damage, if you use White Magic).

Right, dual Spell Edges. That's something the generics have a problem with; nothing to use that effectively with. Sticks was a matter of preference for me.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

There are times when I've had to take the duel to the water. If the duel ends there, then Ramza can't get back up to where he usually goes for the Velius fight.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Barinten did his job as a right bastard pretty well. I'll have to agree with how bland Elmdor's voice seemed. They didn't seem to know what they were doing with him.

I kinda feel that, a few key moments aside, the final act is where the overall story of FFT prolapses.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Nakar posted:

Yeah what I mean is, what happens to a unit with Heroic Gloves when the timer passes 0? I was always under the impression it still killed off the unit. Does it just sit at 0?

Yes. When their CT comes up, the camera pans to them, checks for the HG being equipped, then buggers off if it is. If they don't have HG equipped, they just perma-die.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Backing the Laertes option. Sounded better than Mercutio anyway.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

I like the context of the PSX version of the church scene over the PSP version. The tension feels a lot more real with people in the church, and seeing Ramza and Delita trying to keep their voices down. The PSP version, how it's just another stage for two actors to monologue, felt a lot less real.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

:drat:

If Barinten's gun wasn't enough to kill Malak, that sure as hell was!

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Caliban the metal man.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Glidergun posted:

(Also, I love how they actually gave Worker 8 a dancing sprite. All the little one-off spritework in this game is really amazing.)

The dancing sprite is great, and I love the animation for him coming to life. I didn't know what Worker 8 would look like when I read about him, and his design turned out really cool, especially the end with steam coming off his body.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

One animation that amuses me is the Archaic/Ultima Demons' "long jump" animation. I think they throw their arms back and leap chest-first across gaps. :3:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

It's a drat shame the Templars just wound up on the whole being boring evil villains. It would have been cool to see the political angle played through to the end, with the Templars being really powerful enemies without resorting to demons.

Granted, the weird thing is I liked the demon aspects and all that with Vagrant Story. But I guess that was because the story was centered more around those elements instead of taking a bat to a different kind of story unlike the story FFT started telling before the Zodiac Stones.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Yes, do this. Please do this. Assuming you keep the really important lines roughly the same. This would make an excellent next-patch surprise!

This would be interesting, but it'd require the chops of VS's writer and the ability to write it, not just replicate it.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Seriously. Once people have joined your team, I can only think of about two instances of them talking- Agrias at the Execution Site, and Meliadoul here. I understand they can't make any of the dialog important, since only Ramza is sure to be in the battles, but it still seemed like a huge wasted opportunity.

Kletian was the villains' version of this, since he's just dropped in without any fanfare. WotL at least tries to fix this by giving him an extra battle on the way to Igros, and gives Meliadoul some more incidental dialogue, too.

But it also further shafted Orlandu by making his only added dialogue being a lame threat against a bunch of random nobodies in a new quest.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Kobold posted:

Said item is enemy only, as far as I recall... but it's been a while.

Nah, there's an item in the shops that prevents it. Pretty sure it's been available for a while. The Heroic Gloves, which replaced the Bracer, which I was less than thrilled about. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

As for the post-game content, just about if not all of it relies on either hoping you rolled an encounter that wasn't completely ludicrous, or sticking with whatever you settle on, then hoping you didn't roll an immediate lose scenario. After that, it's a long drawn-out battle with you tip-toeing across thin ice hoping you don't fall through, god forbid you aren't savescumming the entire time.

And that was in Content. I'm not sure if Regular 1.3 is worse than Content in the post-game, but the kid gloves are pretty firmly off in Content's Deep Dungeon.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2014

• Locked thread