Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Please make backups of all your saves.

Please copy the backups off of your computer, like on Dropbox or something.

I really want to see you finish this LP. Thanks for showing it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Four members?
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Anyone know how FFT 1.3 Content stacks up against LFT?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Mage

Can't wait for the real bullshit to start!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

There's a stupid change right there.

"Look at all these interesting status effects.

Never use them. They're useless. Unless you're hit with them, of course."
From the last page, this is a problem with status in Final Fantasy in general. It would be awesome to slow/frog/poison everything in the world, but they have low success rates, and even if they would hit, you're never sure whether or not immunity is going to get in the way. So you become trained never to use status, and just throw more attacks and attack spells instead.

FFT Vanilla made some inroads to this, but in my opnion FFTA does the best job of giving the player useful status effects. The only immunities are through gear (which you can see) and boss status, so most monsters are always vulnerable. There is no one "status job", status effect attacks are spread among jobs pretty well. Plus there are a bunch of damage+status attacks, so even if the status misses it's not a big deal (Dagger, Charmshot, Beso Toxico, etc.)

Plus FFTA has one of the best status classes in the series, the Juggler!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Holy poo poo, is Last Song going to stay this broken the entire game?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Holy poo poo.

I am seconding Peco.

Shakespeare can eat onions it.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Nakar posted:

Maybe Ramza is just a bloodthirsty serial killer. I mean, the dude's a heretic Pokemaniac.
The church has been saying fora while that Pokemon, D&D, and Harry Potter will rot ones soul and turn them evil.

EDIT: ^^^:argh:

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

^^^ This is one of its greatest failings. It pisses away a lot of turns by sacrificing CT when it doesn't need to, and units hit by Don't Act will run towards a corner, effectively disabling them for longer than need be.

My guess is that many of the AI's failings are there because it would be really loving hard to design around them. So if you gave the AI the ability to see reaction abilities, how do you make it decide whether or not it's worth it to physically attack this really squishy unit with, say, 66 brave and Hamedo? Should the AI attack that unit or a sturdier who'd get knocked into HP Restore territory, or maybe one with Abandon and a crazy high dodge rate?

It would be a nightmare. Positioning and deciding whether or not to take the risk of an offensive action this turn would be even more difficult.

I've wondered if it wouldn't be worth an SRPG's designers to apply slightly different AI rules to different units/teams. You could have a stupid setting, which would be great for trash mobs or unimportant story battles, where the enemy does dumb things like sub-optimally place units and not pay attention to counters. Critical story battles and boss battles could have tighter AI, where they'd move better and never fall sucker to abilities like Hamedo, for example.

Anybody who's done game AI wanna weigh in on how feasible that is?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Archael posted:

As for more complex AI settings, those don't exist in the game. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to add them.
You've said that it's too late for the FFT AI with regards to counters and some other quirks. It was more of a thought exercise in regards to future entries in the genre.

...of which FFT still seems to be one of the best if not THE best. I really credit the flexibility of the class system for making this game so much drat fun to play. That sort of thing doesn't get duplicated often enough (I would be happy to be proven wrong).

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

MagusofStars posted:

How does the other option go in 1.3? Is it also a "bum rush" style strategy due to glass cannon enemies or does it play out differently?
Prufrock, how would you feel about showing off the other battle, even as a non-canon failure reel? I'm curious to see it.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

Look fine to me. Where do you get all the Barrettes again? Is it still the rare Red Chocobo poach? Uugh, time-consuming.
Didn't he say that he was going to hack some stuff in (abilities, levels, a few items) specifically to avoid grind? Can't say I blame him. There's enough fighting the RNG without the slog of item poaching to contend with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
One thing I enjoy in video games is when I have access to something really potent, even gamebreaking, and it's up to me whether or not to use it with no in-game penalties either way. That's how I see Cid in FFT - a free bazooka to gleefully dominate the endgame with if you like.

I definitely overused Cid my first playthrough of FFT, but in successive playthroughs I traded him out for characters I'd developed for longer, like Agrias and Mustadio. I also did atypical stuff like make Ramza a caster instead of a physical fighter. That's one of the great things about the game, it's a toolbox of gamebreaking abilities you can mix and match or even ignore entirely.

That's one thing I think FFXII lacked, in fact. The entire time I played I never felt like my characters were never capable of anything impressive or even all that powerful, so it feels weird to me that it was made by the same guy. Admittedly I may not know the ins and outs of FFXII like I do FFT.

• Locked thread