Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCz9T5NgYJQ

From the developers of Wikipedia vs. Predator and this guy comes Kentucky Route Zero. The game is five acts long and so far Act 1 is out.

The game was funded on Kickstarter and it's "a magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky and the mysterious folks who travel it." It's on Greenlight if you want to vote for it.

Check out an old as gently caress trailer. It has a giant eagle that sidles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvkCYNhf7M

Basically everyone who plays this game loves it - this thread is a good indication. It's out on Steam and also on the official site.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

quote:

A magical realist adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky and the mysterious folks who travel it

That pretty much sold me on the game on it's own, wish I had seen the kickstarter while it was active.

Is there a more specific release date?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Well they have less than a month until December is over, so... soon, I guess.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Great interview with one of the developers.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Um, suddenly with basically zero fanfare this game is out. I work at a university and classes start up today so I'm not going to be trying this out for a while, but if anyone wants to play it and tell us if it is awesome, that would also be awesome.

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

As seemingly the only other person on SA with interest in the game, I guess I will be doing a small write up. The game is downloading now.

Interestingly, the game seems to have picked up a lot of IGF nominations (Excellence In Visual Art, Excellence In Narrative, Excellence In Audio and the Seumas McNally Grand Prize) which makes it even more odd that I have heard so little of this game. I guess I am looking in the wrong places.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Thanks for this thread. This game looks awesome and I'll be getting it as soon as possible. The art style is phenomenal and I'm a fan of games in the vein of Eric Chahi's style.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Not the only other person. I just downloaded it but haven't got into it yet. As for fanfare, it is on Rock, Paper, Shotgun today, but you're right that there wasn't much pre-hype. I only knew about it because I've had my eye on Cardboard Computer since Balloon Diaspora.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This game is gooooooooood.

It's absolutely dripping with atmosphere from the lo-fi visual aesthetic reminiscent of 1991's Another World (with the odd combination of high resolution but no antialiasing and 16-bit color depth, as seen in the trailer) to the excellent sound design and music. The gameplay is point-and-click adventuring stripped down to its bare essentials putting the story and exploration front-and-center, which is exactly what it needed to be. In that sense it's similar to how Another World stripped platforming down to its bare essentials. The puzzles are mostly dialog-based which makes it very important to pay attention to what every character says. While this can sometimes make it easy to make choices without realizing you're making choices on the whole I think it works well and it readily invites replaying.

As I mentioned, the sound and music are excellent. Each scene has a subtle background soundtrack of either sound effects (in most scenes) or music which reinforce the mood perfectly. The music especially stands out with excellent cuts of both low-key ambient eletronica and authentic Kentucky bluegrass depending on each scene's requirements. I only wish there were more of it in this installment.

This act's story does an excellent job of introducing the world and its characters. The main characters are revealed almost entirely through dialog which gives the player a remarkable amount of influence over them (within the confines of the dialog trees). Like a good art piece, it rarely spells out details instead trusting the player to pick them up for themselves. The pacing is definitely on the slow side, but the game never felt slow. While the game definitely has a linear plot, like most adventure games there are a lot of little side details and scenes to find and explore along the way between plot points. This act isn't long, it took me just over an hour to play through it on my first run, though I definitely didn't find all of the content.

Kentucky Route Zero: Act One is pretty much exactly what I expected it to be based on the trailers and Cardboard Computer's previous freeware games. If Cardboard Computer can keep up the same level of quality in the subsequent acts (and I don't doubt they can), this game will have a spot right near the top of my all-time favorite list. Some people may feel that $7 for 1 hour (or $25 for 5, assuming the subsequent acts take about the same amount of time each) is too much, but I think the dense quality and high replayability make up for any deficit in the quantity. Overall, if you're a fan of point-and-click games or art games, this is definitely worth a look. If you're undecided, try some of Cardboard Computer's freeware games to get a feel for what kind of work they do and whether you like it.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 8, 2013

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

I hadn't heard of this game until today but decided to toss $7 at the developers at least to support the gorgeous art direction. I did not expect to be completely enthralled by the end of Act 1. I hope this game and the developers find huge success.

If you are on the fence, loving hop over it and buy Act 1. Support Good Games.

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

^^

What these guys say, but I want to emphasize a couple points.

The game is short, about an hour. Personally, I think you are dumb if that keeps you from playing/enjoying the game but some people seem to get really annoyed by that sort of thing so there you go.

If you think the game looks good in the static images, wait until you see it in motion. There are a couple points in particular that look absolutely fantastic and screenshots would not do them justice.

Go buy the game it a Good Game.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSoUPIlj-U0

Giant Bomb Quick Look...so early game spoilers.

I love the look and atmosphere of this, but it does really remind me of Sword & Sorcery which i got bored with after about an hour or so.

Can anyone compare/contrast?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Went out on a limb and sprung for the $25 option on the strength of the Giant Bomb quick look.

I'm in love with the overall vibe of the game, but I don't know if I have the skill to completely deconstruct what's going on with the story. Maybe I'm not supposed to be able to. Maybe accepting that I can't truly understand everything and learning to just accept things on face value is the point.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Promoted Pawn posted:

Went out on a limb and sprung for the $25 option on the strength of the Giant Bomb quick look.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm always happy to support independent stuff like this anyways. I don't remember being so completely enthralled by a game's aesthetic and feel since Limbo came out. Everything just fits together so well that the "magical realism" parts just feel completely natural. I've already completed the first episode (took me about two hours of poking around), but I'm definitely going to jump back in to see what I missed.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
IGN put Anthony's review right at the top of the main page, so hopefully this will get a jump in sales very soon!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/12/kentucky-route-zero-episode-one-review

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I think the OP should be updated with the game's site, the fact that it was successfully Greenlit, and that it's $25 for all Acts and $7 for Act One. And I confirmed with Jake Elliott by e-mail (which he responded to right away) that you will in fact get Steam keys when it's out on Steam proper if you buy it now. Turns out he too is from Chicago and is a pretty nice guy :)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The top image in the OP links to the game's site, as does the phrase "Kentucky Route Zero" in the first sentence of the OP. It wasn't successfully Greenlit, was it? It's IGF nominated so it gets automatic Steam support.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

True, but I figured that since you already had Greenlight in the OP it'd be worth updating that bit. After all, it was successfully Greenlit, technically :v:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just played through the first act. Very enjoyable and odd.

Though I wonder if I missed some content - When I go back to the gas station there's a guy that's looking for a stage for his outdoor play. The game ended before I got to do anything (At least I think it was the end - bringing that girl to repair the TV and then it zoomed in on the truck entering a cave outside, then jumped back to the desktop), and is this something you can do something with, or is it probably for some later act?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Urdnot Fire posted:

True, but I figured that since you already had Greenlight in the OP it'd be worth updating that bit. After all, it was successfully Greenlit, technically :v:
Yeah when I have some free time the OP definitely needs a rewrite, since it's from before the game came out - the problem is that I haven't even bought and played the game yet so I'm in kind of a bad position. I'm a terrible OP :D

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah when I have some free time the OP definitely needs a rewrite, since it's from before the game came out - the problem is that I haven't even bought and played the game yet so I'm in kind of a bad position. I'm a terrible OP :D
No worries, I hadn't bought it myself before I started shilling it :v:

ymgve posted:

Just played through the first act. Very enjoyable and odd.

Though I wonder if I missed some content - When I go back to the gas station there's a guy that's looking for a stage for his outdoor play. The game ended before I got to do anything (At least I think it was the end - bringing that girl to repair the TV and then it zoomed in on the truck entering a cave outside, then jumped back to the desktop), and is this something you can do something with, or is it probably for some later act?
It took me two tries to realize that that was the end of this act. I too missed out on that part, so I'm hoping it's just something for a later act.

This was a nice act, if a bit disappointing in its brevity. I wouldn't mind that so much if the next few acts weren't set to be released over a year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm going to buy this when it's finished. The Walking Dead taught me that I really can't stand the episodic model because of my impatience, and hearing that these acts may be slightly shorter than that game means I'm just not willing to touch it yet. It certainly looks great and everything so I think/hope the sales figures will snowball as more content is pushed out the door.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Just finished this. It's a great, original game with excellent storytelling and themes.

Although I really would have liked it to be a little longer, I really enjoyed where they're taking the plot - and it's nice to see a game attempt something a bit fresh and out of the ordinary. I'll definitely be picking up chapter 2 when it releases.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
Paid the full $25 a while ago and I'm absolutely in love with the atmosphere and aesthetics in this game. Haunting is definitely the right word. I wish more games like this were released.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

I saw the Giant Bomb quicklook and was wondering why I hadn't seen this game on here. It looks loving gorgeous. Screenshots do not do it justice -- the transitions are often really clever and well-done.

The art style is just brilliant.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I just finished a play-through of this a few minutes ago. I hate episodic games so much right now.

I also loved every minute of it :v:

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
So, I haven't played this yet, but this caught my eye in the trailer:

To the right is the entrance of the cave, to the left is a horse head from the gas station for comparison.

Is the cave entrance silhouetted like a horse head or is it just me?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

loving Paypal.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Is the cave entrance silhouetted like a horse head or is it just me?

The trailer might be showing beta graphics, or scenes from other episodes, or...something. Anyway, a bunch of environments look different in the trailer than what I saw in-game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Has there been any talks as to the length between episodes?

Everything I've seen so far oozes charm, but a quick search shows Ep1 has been in development for quite some time now ( almost two years? ). If there was some technical engine related stuff behind that, it's cool, but I'm somewhat wary to throw money at this until I know I'll be seeing the end within my lifetime.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Rookersh posted:

Has there been any talks as to the length between episodes?

Everything I've seen so far oozes charm, but a quick search shows Ep1 has been in development for quite some time now ( almost two years? ). If there was some technical engine related stuff behind that, it's cool, but I'm somewhat wary to throw money at this until I know I'll be seeing the end within my lifetime.

From the website:

"...and the remaining acts as they're released (over the next year or so)."

So maybe 2-3 months between acts?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
A new version of the game has just been released!

Kentucky Route Zero posted:

===================
KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO
ACT I
===================

Release notes for v2
--------------------

- Added an "End of Act I" title to the end of the act, to stem the tide of emails asking about a mysterious crash.

- Fixed a bug triggered by hyperactive mouse clicks from broken mice (this also fixes the symptom of you hyperactively clicking the mouse like it's broken, but your underlying condition is more severe and beyond the scope of this bugfix release).

- Changed default resolution-detection behavior. This should fix an issue where some displays were trying to use resolutions they couldn't actually support.

- Paginated list of resolution options in pause menu.

- Adjusted pacing in two parts of the game.

- Added a sound cue ... somewhere.

- A bit of overdue dialog proofreading for consistency.

- Fixed a glaring, inexcusable error in the way locals refer to the interstate.

Now I have to play it again to see how the pacing has been adjusted.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope it's related to the mine kart speed, because that poo poo was loving slooow.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Another new update, including Linux support:

quote:

- Linux support! Please consider the linux version to be a “beta” release. We’ve tested on Ubuntu 12.10, using the NVIDIA binary drivers from the repository. We are eager to know about issues you encounter, but please bear in mind that, given the platform’s fragmentation-by-design, it can be more difficult for us to reproduce and solve issues than on other operating systems.

- Mac Users: You may have encountered a situation wherein you left the game while it was still running, and then later tried to return to it, but found yourself distracted — not just mentally distracted; a state of mental distraction is really not a problem in this game and, in fact, may be helpful in some situations (like when you’re visiting a strange rest stop or a comfort station somewhere out on the edge of the map — there aren’t any of these in place in Act One, but perhaps there may be in future acts, after all, it’s an idea that appeals to us (we try to be open-minded and not to plan too far in advance) and who can say how we’ll feel three or even nine months from now — and you encounter some text on a sign or something, maybe scrawled in the margins of a discarded roadmap, and you feel curious enough to switch contexts and google some phrase or another) so we’re pleased that the Mac version of the game now supports the “Command-Tab” function. Thanks for your patience!

- Fixed a broken lightswitch.

- Broke a leg.

- Addressed a typographical oversight. Gracias por su paciencia, Gabo.
I like that they made it a pleasant read even for people who aren't affected by this update :allears:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 21, 2013

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glimpse posted:

loving Paypal.

I don't see why PayPal still exists seeing as how they love to freeze any big amounts of money coming in and never giving it back.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Glimpse posted:

loving Paypal.

They really should have gone with the Humble Store. Word is they only take a 5% cut, and handle all the payment processing problems, run the download servers, and generally make things very streamlined. They also take Paypal, Google checkout and Amazon as payment options.

The PA Report did an article about it. I'd honestly point any indie dev who doesn't already have a serious distribution partner worked out to look that way.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Blast of Confetti posted:

I don't see why PayPal still exists seeing as how they love to freeze any big amounts of money coming in and never giving it back.
Hell, that's probably how they make all their money.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Dominic White posted:

They really should have gone with the Humble Store. Word is they only take a 5% cut, and handle all the payment processing problems, run the download servers, and generally make things very streamlined. They also take Paypal, Google checkout and Amazon as payment options.

The PA Report did an article about it. I'd honestly point any indie dev who doesn't already have a serious distribution partner worked out to look that way.

They said they're going to try to get a third party solution to allow Paypal payments, my guess (and hope) is they'll go with Humble Store. They probably should have from the get-go given how awful Paypal has been to indie devs.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Glimpse posted:

They said they're going to try to get a third party solution to allow Paypal payments, my guess (and hope) is they'll go with Humble Store. They probably should have from the get-go given how awful Paypal has been to indie devs.

Paypal have a general policy of locking down and investigating any account that suddenly gets a lot of small bits of income. It sounds fairly sensible as an anti-money-laundering system, but yeah, it makes raw Paypal with no middle-man a minefield if you plan on selling 100% directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Glimpse posted:

I'll have to remember this. Neat.

• Locked thread