Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008

Maultaschen posted:

I played it until I had realism and romance to 100%, but they went down the very next turn. After that I just quit it , which I guess is what you're supposed to do anyway?

After I got both realism and romance to 100%, the story continued a bit and XANADU closed on its own. I missed one of its last text outputs though because I was clicking too fast to skip the repetitive bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gol
Apr 23, 2006
John Romero's Bitch
Yeah, XANADU has a definite end, for me it was about three or four rounds of just going straight to sleep after getting both to 100%, but I probably went through about 15-20 'turns' total. My memory is a bit fuzzy on it but I don't think I was at 100% when it ended, it is probably just triggered after a certain number of turns.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Christ, every Act just seems to get darker. We're going to wind up in Walking Dead territory at this rate.

There's a lot of haunting, magical stuff happening in each Act, sure, but it's all tied to themes of debt, loss, and wasted opportunities. Which, let's be fair, makes it perfect as magical realism, but sheesh, I never would've thought that Conway's borderline-fatal leg injury would be a relief compared to what he's going through now.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

Christ, every Act just seems to get darker. We're going to wind up in Walking Dead territory at this rate.

There's a lot of haunting, magical stuff happening in each Act, sure, but it's all tied to themes of debt, loss, and wasted opportunities. Which, let's be fair, makes it perfect as magical realism, but sheesh, I never would've thought that Conway's borderline-fatal leg injury would be a relief compared to what he's going through now.

Heads up one of the dudes at Cardboard Computer disclosed at the release of act 2 that this will not end happily.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

Heads up one of the dudes at Cardboard Computer disclosed at the release of act 2 that this will not end happily.

Well, they didn't need to, the tabletop gamers in Equus Oil's basement tell you that in the first ten minutes.

"I don't think you can win...it's supposed to be a tragedy."

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Yes, the signs are plentiful that nothing will end well. Second time I was playing I was trying to figure out who was dead. "We're the same age... well... we were, now shes older than me."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SquareDog posted:

Yes, the signs are plentiful that nothing will end well. Second time I was playing I was trying to figure out who was dead. "We're the same age... well... we were, now shes older than me."

And now I looked up the Ramblers' latest tune and welp, it's a little on-the-nose this time around.

"What would you give in exchange for your soul?"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Even at the beginning of Act III, the scene with Lynette losing her memory made me goddamn lose it. I used to work in an alzheimer's ward, and I've had a shitload of concussions, so all that hit way too close to home for me. Also, it felt good to turn down the whiskey as Conway. I've been playing him as flawed, but he knows it and fights it, and that felt really, really good. The way the dialogue options don't change the story, but the way you see the characters is something I really like.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can turn down the whiskey?!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Acquire Currency! posted:

You can turn down the whiskey?!

At the bar? I definitely did. You couldn't?

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At the bar? I definitely did. You couldn't?

I think Currency meant from Doolittle in the final act.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mira posted:

I think Currency meant from Doolittle in the final act.

Yeah this is what I meant

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, I haven't gotten that far yet since my game froze up on me a couple times during Act 3 for some reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just finished the third act, and is it just me, or do Johnny and Junebug have the way out for Conway? They got the IOU from Hard Times Distillery from the bartender. Hopefully it's enough to pay off Conway's debt later on.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Whoah, anyone find the "Scenic View" in Act II, in the "regular" world after you get back off The Zer0?

I started the game over yet again now that Act III is out, because I can't remember what's going on, and I'd never found this before.

You pull over, talk to Shannon about old dates or what a nice night it is, and then this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X7SKoL0xAI (watch in fullscreen 1080p or it looks like poo poo).

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Yeah. You can also investigate the meteorite crash site.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I also have been replaying in anticipation of playing Act 3. After finishing Act 1, I did some reading and discovered I'd completely missed a major section because I hadn't returned to Equus Oil after visiting Weaver, so I replayed Act 1 a second time to see that. Now, immediately after I finish Act 2, I see I missed not only the scene(s) above, but a really cool sounding scene at the Bureau involving the organ I didn't even know was there... Looks like I'm re-replaying Act 2 as well.

The great thing is, though, while I'd be annoyed at having to replay such large sections of pretty much any other game so soon, with KRZ it's a joy. It's amazing how different each playthrough feels. This is really a fantastic game.

On that note: Besides the sites on the "Secret Tourism" guides, the storage area and the Bureau itself, the only other thing I found on the Zero was a site called Déjà Vu, which was wonderful and I won't spoil at all. Were there any other sites worth seeking out on the Zero?

As for topside, I found the Tavern, which was a cool spot. I also enjoyed that you could revisit some old spots, though only via short text updates mostly. Are there any other sites where the perspective shifts from the map to third person like the Tavern or the "Scenic View"?

choobs fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 9, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

choobs posted:

I also have been replaying in anticipation of playing Act 3. After finishing Act 1, I did some reading and discovered I'd completely missed a major section because I hadn't returned to Equus Oil after visiting Weaver, so I replayed Act 1 a second time to see that. Now, immediately after I finish Act 2, I see I missed not only the scene(s) above, but a really cool sounding scene at the Bureau involving the organ I didn't even know was there... Looks like I'm re-replaying Act 2 as well.

The great thing is, though, while I'd be annoyed at having to replay such large sections of pretty much any other game so soon, with KRZ it's a joy. It's amazing how different each playthrough feels. This is really a fantastic game.

On that note: Besides the sites on the "Secret Tourism" guides, the storage area and the Bureau itself, the only other thing I found on the Zero was a site called Déjà Vu, which was wonderful and I won't spoil at all. Were there any other sites worth seeking out on the Zero?

As for topside, I found the Tavern, which was a cool spot. I also enjoyed that you could revisit some old spots, though only via short text updates mostly. Are there any other sites where the perspective shifts from the map to third person like the Tavern or the "Scenic View"?
The drive-in movie theater in Act 3.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

choobs posted:

I like it almost more every time I replay it. The first time I tried the game I found it really dull, then as I pushed on and started to get a feel for what it was about, I restarted the whole thing and this time slowed down and set aside enough time to get caught up in it. It's sort of like watching an old silent film or something, you have to kinda recalibrate your brain to be able to appreciate it.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Escape Car 3000 posted:

After I got both realism and romance to 100%, the story continued a bit and XANADU closed on its own. I missed one of its last text outputs though because I was clicking too fast to skip the repetitive bits.

It is very much worth finishing XANADU. The fact it can be finished but isn't a requirement, along with the way in which it finishes, is a thematic payoff for Act 3 that yields so much meaning.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Because absolutely no one wanted or asked for it, here it is: Kentucky Route Zero Speed Run - Act I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlz5TjBCfWU

Act II and III to come later

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Dammit, I TRIED to find that meteor thing, but couldn't. When I inevitably play it all again when the next episode comes out, I want to find a guide or something. and I really want to see the organ at the cathedral/office.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

SquareDog posted:

Dammit, I TRIED to find that meteor thing, but couldn't. When I inevitably play it all again when the next episode comes out, I want to find a guide or something. and I really want to see the organ at the cathedral/office.
To see the organ go to the second or third floor, I can't remember which one exactly, in the Bureau of Reclaimed Spaces in Act II and walk all the way to the right edge of the balcony, then there'll be an arrow you can click on.

You looked for the meteor in Act II right? There's so much stuff that you can miss in the game, and each act adds a bunch of these little side things. I'm probably spending 2-3 hours on each episode now because I try to find everything. For the meteor, in Act II as soon as you get off the Zero and back to the normal road, go here:

Then afterwards if you want to see the impact site go Northwest a little.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Well, I just finished Act III and all I can say is holy crap. I have always played Conway as a repentant drunk, trying hard to stay on the right path. This was especially gratifying after finally finding out how Ira died. When he got offered the drink at the end I was trying to figure out a way to avoid it when suddenly I noticed the cursor moving to it all by itself. I literally said "NO" out loud. That was rough as hell.

I loved the way this episode tied into the Entertainment so closely. Junebug being late for an gig at The Lower Depths. Harry the bartender subtly implying that the events in the play took place earlier that evening, and then it's confirmed at Hard TImes when you see three new recruits who look exactly like Evelyn and the Slades. I also love that none of this makes sense since The Entertainment was a play put on by Carrington, Lula and Joseph in 1973. The dialogue at the end of the first section of XANADU mirroring what you heard on the tape in Limits and Demonstrations was great too.

I only found two places to go exploring for on the Zero in Act III, the Consolidated Power office and the Rust Archives. Did anyone find any others?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I wonder if they'll patch in Limits and Demonstrations and The Entertainment when the game's all done because I really wouldn't call them unrelated side-stories anymore.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

There's a reference to those in the Kentucky Route Zero save file. I played through them both a while ago, but it doesn't look like it counted that in my save. I may have wiped my hard drive since then or something.

code:
  <act name="limits-and-demonstrations">
    <variable name="saw-reader" value="false" />
    <variable name="saw-netart" value="false" />
    <variable name="saw-visage" value="false" />
    <variable name="saw-puzzle" value="false" />
    <variable name="saw-cyoa" value="false" />
    <variable name="completed-cyoa" value="false" />
  </act>
  <act name="the-entertainment">
    <variable name="started-play" value="false" />
    <variable name="finished-play" value="false" />
  </act>

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

choobs posted:

Well, I just finished Act III and all I can say is holy crap. I have always played Conway as a repentant drunk, trying hard to stay on the right path. This was especially gratifying after finally finding out how Ira died. When he got offered the drink at the end I was trying to figure out a way to avoid it when suddenly I noticed the cursor moving to it all by itself. I literally said "NO" out loud. That was rough as hell.
I actually yelled out "poo poo!" at that part, I was so distressed.

choobs posted:

I only found two places to go exploring for on the Zero in Act III, the Consolidated Power office and the Rust Archives. Did anyone find any others?

They weren't marked on the notes, but while I was just driving around (the top of the loop I think) I came across an examinable point. It was a group of kids sitting around like a courtroom and I got Ezra to stand next to the kid on trial and defend him.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Finally beat Act III. Had to quit and restart about 5 times because my character kept getting stuck. Especially in Hard Times Whiskey. I love how subtly all the plot threads intercept, bring on Act IV.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Kentucky Route Zero is part of the Steam Daily Deal. Active for another day or so.

Seriously though, the first three acts are more than worth the price.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
From the latest newsletter:

quote:

We're often asked about making & selling prints & posters of the game. That's something we still hope to do at some point, but for now we're sticking to sharing high-res printable artwork via this newsletter for you to print yourself if you like. Here are a few:

Tamas prepared these three images for the opening exhibition of Chicago's VGA gallery, and Aron Gent of Document made high-quality prints for display and sale. We wanted to work with VGA & Aron to have some really nicely-made prints available, but didn't want the only publicly-available KRZ prints to be as expensive as these ones needed to be, so we decided not to let them be sold them online. Instead, the Gent prints are sold only in-gallery at VGA, and we're sharing the high-res, printable digital artwork with you here.

Thanks, I guess?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So begins the monthly KRZthread posts that make me think there's news of the next act.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
They gave us boss as hell high res images, though. Worth it.

Maultaschen
Jan 19, 2004

I had no idea they had a newsletter, but I found the instructions here. Do they archive old newsletters anywhere? Gotta get them images.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I've come here to say that this is literally my favorite game.

Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008

Maultaschen posted:

I had no idea they had a newsletter, but I found the instructions here. Do they archive old newsletters anywhere? Gotta get them images.

I found a share link in the email. You can view past issues too.

Escape Car 3000 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 28, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some stuff you should check out

It's weird to see something in my area code.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Holy poo poo these guys can do no wrong. I hope they bundle these all up at some point when the finish the KR0 acts because it saddens me that most people who aren't fans won't get a chance to enjoy them.

Any idea who the 3 characters are at the end once you hang up?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They bundle them together with the GOG version so hopefully they patch them in for Steam.

I'll have to wait to play this, but I'm hyped.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
That was pretty cool. First time I've actually wanted to sit on a phone and browse through menu options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

dishwasherlove posted:

Any idea who the 3 characters are at the end once you hang up?

I never found this part - what did you do to get there?

That was pretty interesting. I found 5 extensions: 7864, 7360, 0464, 1928, and 1618. Did you guys find any other ones I might've missed? It was a lot longer than I thought, also - I spent nearly an hour going through all the options.

• Locked thread