Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Got this during the latest Steam flash sale and it's not what I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing. I finished Act I and I'm going to take my time and replay it before I start II, now that I have some idea what's going on. The game is beautiful.

If you're having problems with the screens not scrolling, make sure you don't have Vsync forced off through your control panel. I'd been forcing it off on my Nvidia card, and when you have Vsync off, Kentucky Route Zero won't scroll or will scroll very slowly, making you miss whole sections. So set Vsync to at least 1 in the game menu and make sure it's not off in your control panel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Man the sound in this game is so good. I'm in Act II now, and I end up just holding the mouse button down to drive in circles around The Zero and hear that wonderful engine/road noise. It's like a warm, damp Q-tip gently massaging your ear canals.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Accordion Man posted:

Just wait until the ending.
Oh man you weren't kidding.

This game feels like that moment right before you fall asleep, when your mind is drifting. Playing it at night with headphones on and the lights off makes it even more surreal.

You know I didn't really like it at first, when I started Act I, my first impression was it looked good but moved way too slow and was dull. I was in the wrong mindset, so I restarted the whole thing and just sat back and let it unfold at its own pace and I'm hooked now. Act II is even better, the locations are a lot more varied and colorful.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Broken Age is the first wildly successful video game Kickstarter so it's just the easiest comparison, and the fact that due to the success they aimed higher and went over schedule and over budget. But that's the story of pretty much every video game ever made so it's not really a good example, especially since Broken Age Act I released within a pretty reasonable window for what the game turned out to be, given the finished product is so good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Whoah, anyone find the "Scenic View" in Act II, in the "regular" world after you get back off The Zer0?

I started the game over yet again now that Act III is out, because I can't remember what's going on, and I'd never found this before.

You pull over, talk to Shannon about old dates or what a nice night it is, and then this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X7SKoL0xAI (watch in fullscreen 1080p or it looks like poo poo).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

choobs posted:

The great thing is, though, while I'd be annoyed at having to replay such large sections of pretty much any other game so soon, with KRZ it's a joy. It's amazing how different each playthrough feels. This is really a fantastic game.
I like it almost more every time I replay it. The first time I tried the game I found it really dull, then as I pushed on and started to get a feel for what it was about, I restarted the whole thing and this time slowed down and set aside enough time to get caught up in it. It's sort of like watching an old silent film or something, you have to kinda recalibrate your brain to be able to appreciate it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Because absolutely no one wanted or asked for it, here it is: Kentucky Route Zero Speed Run - Act I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlz5TjBCfWU

Act II and III to come later

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

SquareDog posted:

Dammit, I TRIED to find that meteor thing, but couldn't. When I inevitably play it all again when the next episode comes out, I want to find a guide or something. and I really want to see the organ at the cathedral/office.
To see the organ go to the second or third floor, I can't remember which one exactly, in the Bureau of Reclaimed Spaces in Act II and walk all the way to the right edge of the balcony, then there'll be an arrow you can click on.

You looked for the meteor in Act II right? There's so much stuff that you can miss in the game, and each act adds a bunch of these little side things. I'm probably spending 2-3 hours on each episode now because I try to find everything. For the meteor, in Act II as soon as you get off the Zero and back to the normal road, go here:

Then afterwards if you want to see the impact site go Northwest a little.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

There's a reference to those in the Kentucky Route Zero save file. I played through them both a while ago, but it doesn't look like it counted that in my save. I may have wiped my hard drive since then or something.

code:
  <act name="limits-and-demonstrations">
    <variable name="saw-reader" value="false" />
    <variable name="saw-netart" value="false" />
    <variable name="saw-visage" value="false" />
    <variable name="saw-puzzle" value="false" />
    <variable name="saw-cyoa" value="false" />
    <variable name="completed-cyoa" value="false" />
  </act>
  <act name="the-entertainment">
    <variable name="started-play" value="false" />
    <variable name="finished-play" value="false" />
  </act>

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Time just doesn't work the same way on The ZΣr0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Music Theory posted:

I don't mind replaying it every time there's a new act; the game is complex enough that I find new things every time I play it.
This is how I play it. It's almost like playing a new game every time, my memory is so terrible.

Did anyone back the Kickstarter for this? Some of those physical rewards would be like museum pieces (in a good way) by now, given what the game's shaped into. Assuming all the physical rewards have come out, that is. I didn't know Kickstarter was a thing way back in 2011 though, hard to believe that's where this whole trip started.

• Locked thread