Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Is there a consensus on what the highest (audio) quality hardwired FM modulator is? They all seem to be about the same price (~$40) and I wouldn't mind mind spending more for something that sounds better. There is some discussion on the first page of this thread about how a "good" one is indistinguishable from CD quality, but I'm just looking for a bit of guidance on finding what is "good."

There is an Audiovox one that seems to have good reviews on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009V2XX) but I know that most people aren't very critical of sound quality. Are there any AI-approved options? If not, I suppose I'll just do the Audiovox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah I'm aware of the head unit modification options. I'm trying to avoid making modifications like that as it is something I'm considering as a gift for my dad, and neither he nor I are wild about swapping the whole headunit with something aftermarket. I was considering modifying the stock one but I think a hardwired modulator is a much better compromise, if the quality is not miserable.

So you think the tuner is the largest source of noise, rather than the modulator? I hadn't considered that. I suppose the bandwidth in commercial FM is not conducive to getting the best sound quality ever, but some reviews of other hardwired modulators complained of quality below that of even a strong FM station. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It's a modern Ford, with those little U-shaped tools to pop the radio out in an instant. I had bought one of those line in adapter pigtails for the CD changer plugs, but apparently this head unit is a special snowflake that doesn't work with those. In any case, it's not just a single DIN thing. If the modulator sounds like rear end I might consider putting in an aftermarket HU, but for now I'd rather not unless there are serious usability issues with the modulator. Aint nobody wants a blingy tacky blue-LED-having SONY XPLOD or whatever.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
They're actually not that bad looking:

But definitely look out of place. Not like putting a square radio in an oval taurus, but I'd still like to keep the factory one if I can.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Believe me, it's not - that's a Ranger/Explorer setup, it's 1.5DIN at best.

I'm trying to keep my head unit in the WJ for now just because I like the way it integrates with the steering wheel, but I might eventually bite the bullet and spend $60 on a steering wheel adapter.

Yeah it's an '04 Ranger. I've ordered that Audiovox hardwired modulator for my dad for xmas, I'll let y'all know how it sounds once I get it in hand and installed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Does the frequency of the buzzing change with engine RPM?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Scrapez posted:

I'm looking to add a head unit, amp and speaker to my motorcycle. I already have a set of DC Gold 4" speakers that I'll be using and planning to add a 2 channel micro amp to power them.

I'm looking for a head unit that doesn't have an internal amp and for that matter it doesn't need to play CDs either. I'd like something that can interface with my Android based phone if possible. It appears that a lot of the Pandora enabled head units only work with iPhones, are there any that work with Android?

What about those little Bluetooth car adapters? The low tech option would be to just plug a 1/8" jack into your phone and not have a head unit at all. Or did you want an FM tuner as well?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
No idea about the satellite functionality afterwards, but the model everyone used to use is the PIE FRDN-AUX and its derivatives. There are a bunch of them depending on which head unit out of which year and so forth. I have one of them that ended up not working for me because the head unit didn't support the changer functionality, but if you want to dick with it to see what it'll do I can throw it in a flat rate box for you if I can find it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

That'd be cool. Do you happen to have a picture of it or at least the connectors on it? You can email me at explodingsims2@gmail.com for shipping stuff.

Let me see if I can lay hands on it, first. There's a non-zero chance that I left it at my parents' house over Christmas.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

That'd be cool. Do you happen to have a picture of it or at least the connectors on it? You can email me at explodingsims2@gmail.com for shipping stuff.

I emailed you a couple days ago; did you get it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
A big fuckin' cap on the switched power line (I guess behind a diode or something so you don't end up trying to power everything on the switched 12V line) would probably give you a few seconds of radio runtime when you quickly start it or dip to accessory.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Maybe one of those head units for boats? Are landies even DIN?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
What about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/A/dp/B000OSZA58

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That part could just be a noisy switching power supply, maybe? I guess you could just have several sources of noise.

E: What does the noise in your headphones sound like? Is it a hiss, a buzz, clicking, or...?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 15, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The only thing that's making me think that it's not the SMPS is that the noise persists if you plug in two separate adapters to run your two pieces of gear on, but if you disconnect one or the other from power the noise disappears completely. Hm.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Red_October_7000 posted:

tl;dr:
-Mitsubishi RX-123 Cassette deck and ONLY cassette deck sometimes experiences unprovoked output level drop.
-Level drop corrected either momentarily or "permanently" (until it decides to do it again) by cycling the direction of tape play. Sometimes multiple cycles are needed, sometimes no amount of cycling brings it back.
-When you're done with the truck for a time and come back to it when you want to use it again, the cassette deck will usually work. Sometimes it will fail again briefly, and sometimes it will be fine the rest of the day.
-There is an "Attenuator" function which quickly knocks the volume down as to make an order at the drive-through or take a phone call, but I don't think it's spurious operation of this feature because this feature has continuity across the tape deck and tuner, and if you switch to the tuner the output level is what you'd expect for it being on or off. Then again, I can't completely get the idea of spurious operation of the attenuator out of my head completely...

I bet there's a cracked solder joint in there somewhere. I guess it also could be dirty/oxidized contacts in a switch. Does it start/stop working when you go over bumps? I'm thinking it just gets jostled a little bit and the board flexes to make/break whatever contact is intermittent. If you're handy, it might be worth touching up all the solder joints real quick.

:shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Well, I can't TIG, so you're still coming out ahead of me, hah.

If you have it apart anyway, maybe examine the solder joints with magnification, see if you can spot anything. If you find the particular culprit, you might be able to reflow it to satisfaction.

E: And yes, good tools helps a bunch. I paid $200 for my iron, and it was several times that when new, and it makes a huge difference even compared to $100 irons.

Still, you don't need any magic just to heat up the joint and get the solder to flow back together. But even if you aren't confident that will work out, just identifying the issue is going to be the hard part I think.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 25, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Do those ones not use the U-shaped Ford radio removal tools? My dad's ranger does, but it's a few years newer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Casimir Radon posted:

I planned to get something with Android Auto just for better integration. The issue I have with something that needs data to work is that I sometimes go off in the sticks where there isn't great service, if any, and Google Maps offline data was kind of a pain in the rear end last time I checked.

I dunno if it's different on android, but in iOS google maps you just select the area you want to capture and it will save it for offline use. It can even do offline navigation, it just won't take traffic into account. I use it a lot, and it's been mostly fine. Occasional hiccups, but better than anything else I've tried.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yes, multiple and they've all got the same issue. It's definitely an issue with the female part of the port

That's almost always from someone yanking/smashing on the cable when it's plugged in, and breaking the solder joint between the jack and the board. Not an easy fix unless you're handy with that sort of thing.

You can look in the jack with a flashlight and see if there's a bunch of crud in there keeping the plug from going in all the way, but I doubt that's the problem.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bank posted:

Two questions for folks..

1) I have a 2005 Pilot that has a 10" sub integrated into the car. I've been trying to find out other subs to put in to replace it because I want a bit more oomph..is it worth it or can I just bridge my amp to it? (Amp is a 400w 4 channel Rockford R400-4D)
2) I installed some new speakers in the car and have 12 gauge wire (wowowow) so it was a bit tricky to crimp onto the speaker terminal leads. What kind of speaker terminal leads can I buy to replace them? It looks like they were made for 18+ gauge so it was a bit loosey goosey. Also, wtf are they called? I see tons of different names for them and can't figure out what exactly to buy.. Speakers are Morel Maximo 5s if that makes a difference.

12AWG is much bigger than 18AWG, if I'm understanding you correctly. If your wire is too small for your terminals, and you don't want to bother getting new terminals, you can strip back double what you need and fold the wire over on itself to double its thickness where it goes into the crimp connector.

Don't most speakers use screw down terminals that take fork terminals? If they are the other kind, I've seen them called pin connectors or ferrules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Martytoof posted:

I have an 08 Mazda 3. I’ve been happy enough with my stock HU and aux input from my iPhone. That is, until I upgraded from my old iPhone to an 8 with no 3.5mm jack. Now I’m looking for a decent BT -> Aux converter.

I have a few concerns that I’m trying to address:

Should turn on and off with my car so nothing battery powered
Would be nice if it either didn’t have a mic or had an external mic plug since I’ll be shoving this into my arm rest console.
Needs to auto connect to my phone without needing to dig it out and push buttons.

I’m sure I’m not the first person with this issue so I’m just looking to see if anyone has a similar setup. I’m not looking to invest any money into a HU since the only ones I’ve found which are stock looking are buggy (from past experience), and honestly it’s a ten year old car so I’ll probably be upgrading soon anyway. If there isn’t a good option I’ll likely just end up finding some kind of lightning breakout cable that does both charging and audio.

Don't the new iPhones come with a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the box? I think they're like $7 to replace.

As for bluetooth, I put one of the Amazon Basics ones in my dad's truck. It's intended to be run from a wall outlet, but the adapter is 12V so I thought I'd take a chance in snipping the cord off the adapter and wiring it to the truck directly (since auto "12V" is actually like 14.5V". That has been fine so far, although I think it has a super cheap 3.5mm jack in it because sometimes the cable needs to be wiggled to keep one side from cutting out. But, judging by its reviews, this is probably not a common complaint.

Oh, and yes it will connect automatically if the phone's bluetooth is on, and I wired it to a switch so it wouldn't grab the phone's audio when the stereo was off. You could probably tap into the amp turn on wire if you wanted to automate this, though.