Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm trying to decide how to get digital music in my car. My entire glovebox and all my cubbyholes are taken up by CDs. The way I see it, there are three options. An inline FM modulator, a stock stereo with a tape deck and tape adapter, or a new, modern stereo.

The stock stereo would be <=$50 and nobody would ever try to steal it. Going off this thread, a decent new stereo would be >=$100, right? I'm not sure what a good modulator would cost, I haven't looked into that option as much.

I'm not very worried about it getting stolen, except when I go to Denver 1-2 times a year. I live in a decent, if low-income neighborhood, and most of my neighbors have nicer cars than me anyway.

If you can give up CDs completely you can get a USB/AUX/Radio only head for way south of $100!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mentholmoose posted:

Aside from those things is there anything else I would need? Tools like wire crimpers maybe?

Also, it says the wiring harness needs a ground; I know Crutchfield provides some instructions, will those cover that part? And are the instructions good overall?
That harness is marked as not coming with crimps and the photo matches that so you'll definitely need wire crimpers. Depending on how your dash comes apart you may find trim tools/pullers to be fairly useful.

As for the ground if it's part of the oem side harness then you don't need to do anything. If it's a separate wire you either follow it back to the screw and put the aftermarket head units ground wire in, or if it's inaccessible you can crimp the two together.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

A lot of people these days are installing tablets where their radios used to go. I say: gently caress that, the tablet should be in my god-drat steering wheel. That's way less distracting than using a car-radio-style tablet.

I intend to build a prototype of such a system. Please give me advice vis a vis the steering column etc.

Advice, if the car has an airbag, the tablet will be launched into your face in the event of an accident. If this isn't a joke and you still want to continue with this idea... :ohdear: You need to run power and output somewhere and if you don't want to just have wires hanging off the wheel getting tangled up and getting you in accidents because your hands got caught you need run them through the middle of the hub somehow or hack into the factory clockspring (and set off the airbag :v:) Then you just need to find a way to attach the tablet to your wheel. :downs:

Seriously though, you're kidding, right? :ohdear:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 25, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I had a Legacy B4 with the McIntosh system and it was very nice. Except mine had trouble reading CDs and if you wanted to change the head unit you actually had to rewire the entire system because it had a proprietary cable between the head and the amp.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

cephalopods posted:

I'm planning to get a new stereo with integrated bluetooth, since mine has a loose USB port and I'm sick of losing power to the bluetooth dongle I'm keeping in my glovebox every time I hit a bump. I think I've decided on this one.

I'm going to have to replace the wiring harness, right?

If it's already an aftermarket head in there you won't have to change the harness. The harness just splits the OEM plug into it's component wires with which you play a fun color matching game with the head unit's harness, which it will come with.

I have the version of that head without bluetooth functionality and for what it's worth I like it. It will also gladly read from a micro SD in a USB adapter so I just carry my whole music collection everywhere. :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Looks like ebay is full of "din cup holders" now, but I have no idea how well those would work with a mounting kit.

A lot of DIN fillers come with a multitude of mounting points on the sides in an "at least one of these should line up" fashion.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I know it's one of those questions but I'd still like to hear some AI opinions on it for the context. How important is the head unit?

I got my new old WRX a little over a week ago now, the PO had put in a big 2-DIN GPS/TV combo which I had planned on replacing with a 2-DIN from Pioneer so I could get aux and USB. However my girlfriend has decided she quite likes the TV so I looked it up and the external input on the head should allow me to rig up an aux cable fairly easily. My problem though is the head was not really ever meant for any extensive music listening, the audio settings are pitiful and the output wattage is a little less than even a standard cheapy head. I will be attaching some nicer speakers and small powered sub but I'm wondering how much I'll be missing by not upgrading the head as well.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

What's the chance I'll get the next owner of my car after my rear end if I don't tell him that on my first attempt at installing a new car stereo, I misunderstood the instructions and clipped all of the cables on the factory wire harness and directly wired it into the stereo's wire harness without an adapter?

Whoops

Next Owner will rue your existence and post on a message board somewhere about this crazy PO who directly wired in his aftermarket head. :v:

MikeyTsi posted:

Output wattage on the head unit no longer matters once you go to an external amp, so you're just looking how good the eq is on the head unit for audio tuning. A somewhat quality amp will have crossover settings to help dial the speakers in to their best range.

The head unit should be dead-easy to change out if you decide it doesn't fit your needs, so I'd say just keep it for now if it has the features you want and try it with the upgraded audio. Swap it out with something else if/when you decide it doesn't have the features or quality you want.

Good point on the amp. EQ on the head is garbage though high boost/cut, low boost/cut, 2 directional balance and switchable 'loudness'. Head swaps I've done before so that's no problem if it comes to it.

Follow-up question, I've previewed the instructions for the powered sub I've got coming and it has a remote power wire so I shouldn't need to bother with a relay but would there be a sufficiently beefy power supply to safely leech off in the cabin or should I just go to the extra trouble of running a cable straight from the battery?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Laserface posted:

what is the consensus on under-seat subwoofers? looking at either the Kicker 8" model (which for some reason doesnt include line out converters or RCA inputs) or a 10" from a weird brand Cerwin Vega which has RCA inputs and seems reasonably well received in reviews.

I dont want thumping bass, just some extra low end that regular speakers cant hit properly.

I don't know what the consensus is but I have Pioneer's cheapest under-seat sub for that purpose and it does its job very well in that capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MrOnBicycle posted:

I can't say I'm really a audiophile when it comes to car audio, but out of curiosity: How are Harman Kardon audio systems in cars regarded? Or is it wildly different from car to car?

I'd imagine it's wildly different from car to car, but ~premium~ brand car stereos always feel like more of a price-hike option than an actual feature. Especially if it's the kind that has special wiring that needs to be stripped out and rerouted if you ever want to replace it.