Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What is the deal with Android powered head units vs Windows CE or whatever it was?

I'm looking to get a double din touch screen, preferably with a volume knob because like physical control and I lack steering wheel controls.

I don't want to spend a ton of cash putting a new unit in, but I kind of want a gps unit, so an Android one that would tie into my phone with data and I can use Google maps on a better screen. I keep looking at Chinese units but I really know better and want to get something quality.

I am not doing a full speaker/amp rewire job, just replacing a head unit for something better and more useful.

Also for someone that doesn't care about sirus/xm, how viable is HD radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
That was the push I needed to not worry about hd radio, and it opens up my options.

Hands free BT is my main get, as well as a nice screen to see the song that is playing and who is calling and a dial pad. Nav would be nice, but not $400 upcharge nice.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Tried my hand at the cheap-o Chinese Android head units, and gave it a weekend before I hit the button to return it to Amazon. Good idea, poor execution, even worse qa.

I'm currently looking for your average double din Kenwood unit, but I am curious about spending a tad more for an Android auto unit. The only things stopping me are the sporadic "this sucks and everything sucks" reports, and the lack of an easy to hit volume knob.

Realistically the only reason to go Android auto would be Google maps on a bigger screen, and the other notification stuff, but I could easily spend less on a unit without it, use it 99% the same way and still gmap on my phone on the rare time I need it. I could even probably get the voice prompts I've the speakers, I think.

Is it the next big thing or is it the next thing Google puts 110% behind until it drops it quietly?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Rooting aside, those Chinese head units have very poor build quality. My recent one had screen protector film I could not remove under the bezel, horrible mic quality. And even worse FM reception.

Google showed me 'easy' fixes by cutting solder traces on the motherboard. But the last straw was the latest update that removed the dimming option in the firmware,and borked the GPS which was 59% of using it in the first place.

I bought mine on Amazon so returning it was a non issue. Try it and I hope you get a good one, but mine was a lemon.