Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

First time poster here.

To preface, I'm terrible when it comes to understanding much of anything about car audio installs, so I need some serious help.

Basic info:
* I drive a 2005 Ford 500
* I've an aftermarket head unit, a JVC Bluetooth player from Crutchfield.
* I have a sub in a box I got for free that is sitting in the trunk, it works
* I haven't replaced any of my speakers, so that stuff is all stock.

Now, I'm generally a very broke individual, but that didn't mean I like to deal with piss poor sound. Recently I received a stone free stuff: a sub and a set of speakers (Kenwood kfc-6982ie). The sub was attached to a speed boat at one point, but seems to work rather drat well (the speaker and box are in great condition, but the amp that's attached to it is half dead apparently; note: not sure if it's an amp honestly, I can attach a pic if need be).

My problem though is the speakers. At first I was going to just put the free 6x9's in the rear deck because I have room to cut holes and mount them there, but apparently my head unit only supports 4 speakers as it is. I would have loved to put them in the front or rear door, but they're too big (I think I can fit at max 6x8's). I read that there are adapters to make them fit, but these things are very deep, at least three times deeper than my stock speakers, and no matter what they won't fit in the door or be able to have the stock plastic fit over it which is a big issue as I'm not exactly technically proficient when it comes to shaving car parts down.

Is there anything I can do to install these? Put them in their own boxes on the floor of the back seat and disconnect the rear door speakers? Install them in the rear deck position and somehow wire it past the rear door speakers? I really have no idea what to do.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Humbug posted:

You can split the rear channel to power both your rear door speakers and your new 6x9 in the rear deck in parallel, but I doubt that will sound much better than stock. Aftermarket 6x9s are though enough to power for the deck when alone. You could alternatively see if there is any life in the amp powering the boat sub, and using it to power the 6x9s since you already have a sub. What your setup seems to need the most is some decent front speakers, so I would probably consider selling your new stuff to buy some 6X8s that will actually fit. Speaker spacers and new boxes aren't free either.

The amp attached to the sub has no life if I remember correctly. The initial idea was to hook up the rear deck to it, but the tech who looked at it said it was a no go. Any way for me to check myself though? Not to be crude, but it was a best buy tech who was fired a few weeks later, so I'm not sure I trust his opinion.

Attaching a new amp to the sub might be best, but it's something I can't afford. Truthfully I mentioned I don't even know if it's an amp attached. I can post a pic if necessary.

If love to sell the stuff for new front speakers, but the box looks like utter poo poo despite everything still being in the packaging and untouched. As a buyer I would beware of someone tried selling me these speakers.

Any online guides for doing the splitting you can recommend? How on earth can it power both sets of speakers?