Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Just bought a teenage Mazda econobox. I just needed to get myself back on wheels after someone ran over my previous (much cooler) car, but now that I've got it, I figure I'll just cruise with it for another year or so and let my insurance be cheap until one of my tickets falls off the record. Gonna need some better tunes in the meantime.

Does anybody have any experience with these things?

I don't know if these are a common product, but if they aren't: They're bluetooth/AUX receivers that spoof the connection for a CD changer or a tape-deck so that you can extend the functionality of your stock head unit.

Many aftermarket head units at this price-point look like tacky pieces of poo poo, with fixed-brightness LEDs that burn with the intensity of a loving dash-mounted supernova, so this kind of product seems like a welcome alternative. But I'm interested to know if anybody could say how good their DACs are, compared to a complete unit of similar cost, and if there are any competitors of this manufacturer who make similar products, so that I can shop around.

On the other hand, if anybody is a huge zealot for a particular unit that they think would look great in a 2001 Protege and that I can install for ~$150, now's the time to rep it.

Also: if you watched the video on that page, you see the guy remove a panel that covers the space that would otherwise be filled with a cassette player. I'm thinking I'll actually leave that panel off, have the AUX/USB charger cables come out of there, and find a way to affix the base of a smartphone mount in the space so that it doesn't mar any of the exterior surfaces. It'll place the phone right in front of the obsolete radio controls, prevent any of the finished surfaces from being marred, and shouldn't look entirely unaesthetic. Although, it might look just janky enough to deter a thief. Do people even do that anymore? Steal the radios out of old beige sedans? Whatever. Any suggestions for the phone mount I should buy to try this with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU