Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Is there a generally recommended 12inch sub and amplifier combo for around 250 bucks?

My friend has a 2006 Nissan Altima with a stock sound system. He wants to put a 12 inch sub in his trunk. I was wondering if this is even possible with a stick radio, I'm guessing it doesn't have a pre-out or LPF, or maybe it does, who knows. Is this a common thing that professionals do all the time and if so how much should he be looking to spend, or would he be better off getting a whole new dash unit (I don't think he wants to do this).

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
There's no thread for car alarms so I figured there would be crossover here.

I'm looking to get a two way alarm system. I don't want remote start but I need an engine kill switch, a hood sensor and proximity. I'm also interested in a gps tracking thing if that's a thing.

I know an alarm can't deter a professional thief, but around my neighborhood there's always kids checking car handles and popping windows so I'd like to deter the kids.

I'm thinking a Viper but I honestly have no idea. My old truck had one that was quite good, not too sensitive but if you bumped the windows or bumped it too hard it would give 2 separate warnings, then go ape poo poo, served me well.

Can anyone share some wisdom?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 15, 2014

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Aflicted posted:

Honestly, at this point I think it is more a question of nailing down your requirements, which you have, and finding something in the price point that meets those requirements. Most alarm systems you will see for sale are all made by Directed Electronics (directed.com) Viper and Clifford being the two big ones. As far as the responsiveness of the sensors go, that really has a lot to do with the quality of the installer setting the sensitivity and positioning of the sensors.

So if installers matter then its all hit or miss with places like Best Buy or national chains? I should probably just look for some of the better google/yelp rated audio/alarm places and talk to them in person.

They way I'd like to do it is order all the stuff myself since it seems amazon lets the stuff out the door about half the price a lot of retail places want for the same stuff.

That being the case some of the things (gps and hood sensor in particular) look like modular devices you buy sperate and it'd be helpful to have a resource to see what adapters you'd need to get a setup how I'd want it in my model truck, then find an installer who knows what they're doing to put it all in.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 15, 2014