Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I have a 2010 impala with a stock stereo and no steering wheel volume controls. I'm looking for an Android Auto head unit to replace the stock stereo. I don't care about upgrading the speakers.

Any recommendations for a head unit with a nice interface, is reliable, and not overpriced? The option to play CDs would also be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Thanks for the info. I don't care about OnStar. But I do want all the other chimes and bells and whistles. Thanks.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Looks like the Sony X100 is the only reasonably priced unit that will give me Android Auto. And none of the 3 units on crutchfield can play CDs. 😞

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I love me XAV-AX100 and have it 95% installed.

I need the ae64 whatever dude to answer my emails

I got my head out of my rear end and realized Android Auto far outweighs the ability to play CDs. I still need to route and hook up the mic on the XAV. I love it so much.

Can anyone recommend a backup camera that uses a standard RCA plug. A lot of the ones I was looking at on Amazon had a lot of poorly translated english in the descriptions which made me wary of them. And the stores I've been too don't have poo poo for selection.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I have a 2010 Chevy Impala that I upgraded to a Sony XAV-AX100 for that sweet Android Auto. I'm looking to upgrade my stock speakers and was hoping you guys could help me with getting the best bang for my buck. I don't need audiophile grade speakers, and I don't even really want to waste space with a sub. I'm just looking for better sound at an affordable price.

Front - 6½"
Pillar mounted tweeters
Back - 6x9"

Thanks for any help, advice, and tips you can give.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Thanks for the advice. Both of those options are in the price range I've been looking at in my preliminary window shopping.

Are there other brands that are known for decent quality (not just sound but build also) in that price range?

I'll look into whether my car has some weird amp setups but I don't think so. I've heard the bose systems usually do but my car doesn't have that. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So I stopped in to Fry's to listen to some Infinity speakers. I ended up getting the 6530CX component speakers for the front and 9633IX speakers for the rear of my 2010 Impala. I didn't bother with an amp since my Sony deck puts out 20W RMS and 55W peak per channel. After some misadventure on my part, I used the stock wire that was already routed, 3D printed some retaining brackets for the tweeters, and got everything hooked up and working.

The difference is incredible. Thanks guys for the advice.