Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I am trying to sketch out an audio system for an old car with tight space. Namely - the 1975 Alfa on the left in this pic:

It has the original AM/FM radio that seems to put out through a single speaker under the dash. I hope to ninja a no-headunit system into the car that relies on an external source for content (iPod/phone). So basically an amp with RCA inputs and speakers.

I have two pairs old NIB 6" 60 Watt speakers that my neighbor had from an abandoned project. Interior space is loving tight. The stock interior only has the in dash speaker, so there aren't any locations to swap speakers. I've read that the doors on these Spiders are too thin to do a proper mounting. I should be able to fit speakers in the kickpanels or on either side of the center console. Rear speakers are trickier, and would require building a shelf to fit in the back "non-seat," as the ragtop will interfere with anything mounted to the rear sides.

In short, I may end up with only 2 front speakers.

Any recommendations for a good amp that can handle such a system? What else should I be exploring in this plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

What is the model?

1975 Alfa Romeo Spider (S2a series)

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

What model speakers? Budget?

If you want a mini amp there's a lot to choose from:

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_130GMD1004/Pioneer-GM-D1004.html?tp=35782
http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_020XC2410/Clarion-XC2410.html?tp=35782
http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445U/Alpine-KTP-445U-Power-Pack.html?tp=35782
http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_530ST410KD/Soundstream-Stealth-ST4-1000D.html?tp=35782

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i1743_mini-amps.html

Most of these are 4 channel and bridgeable into 2. If you have space to mount a larger amp (and not necessarily huge, I have an Alpine V60 inside a compact spare tire) I would put in a shallow mount subwoofer too. RCA into 3.5mm as an input would work but isn't ideal. There's this but power output is poo poo:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_70642_Kicker-PXiBT50.2-40PXIBT50.2.html

Speakers in the kick panel would work, ideally you'd want to aim them if you have the room. I'd recommend component speakers with the tweeters mounted in/on the dash.

The speakers are some cheapo brand. Doing some spot measurements, I may end up getting a pair of smaller speakers to fit in the outer kick walls, as the 6" template seems too tight there. So it cold be a pair of 6" speakers facing out from the center and a pair ofslightly smaller speakers facing in, all at the feet of the front seats.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Kick panel enclosures will absolutely be your best option here. There's several companies that specialize in them, but I can't find one that makes one for an Alfa.

Any good car audio shop (read: check Yelp and avoid Best Buy and Fry's, though Car Toys supposedly does decent work) should be able to make some kick panel mounts for you. Rear speakers are just for fill anyway, and in a car that small, it won't make a bit of difference. Expect to spend some cash on them, since they're basically building an enclosure around your existing kick panel, and ask that they just remove the original kick panel (or otherwise not modify it) so that you can revert to stock if you ever need to.

Like Bulk said, you may consider components with the tweeters somewhere in the dash, but if you go with shallow mount speakers, you may be able to have enough room to have kick panel mounts made that will allow you to aim the tweeters properly.

Thanks. I'll probably fab up the kick panels myself in fiberboard or fiberglass. I like to make things, you see . . .

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

1975 Alfa Romeo Spider (S2a series)

Quick update on this.

To address some charging system issues, I' replaced the old 55-60 amp alternator with one that puts out 85 amps, so I have ample power to run some audio.

Space is still a puzzle, but I should have room for 2 small (maybe 5") speakers one the sides just behind each door, and another 2 small (5") ones on either side of the center console near my feet. I don't plan to put in a shelf or otherwise mount anything in the fake "backseat" area. To feed those speakers, I think a simple amp that will take music from my phone will be fine, and I can stash that under the dash somewhere, to avoid any cutting of the stock layout.

Any guidance on an amp or speakers that would work for this?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Any recommendations for a bluetooth amp to power 2-4 small speakers and run music (via Bluetooth) off my phone?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I continue to hunt down components for my zero-space Alfa. For speakers, I can probably jam a couple of 5.25" rounds in the kick panels, but (a) I'll probably have to fab up surface mount because there is precious little room behind that panel, and (b) if it juts out too far, it will interfere with my clutch foot on the driver side. As I shop for speakers, I cannot get a good sense of the depth dimension. "Shallow" and "flush mount" sound like good parameters, but Amazon doesn't always identify the depth dimension, or show it in a product picture. Moreover, some "flush mount" speakers seem to need a lot of room behind the panel.

So, Goons, please tell me what are good speakers with an overall depth (including the behind the panel portion) of less than 3.5" or so.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

How can I get the wires/pins out of the standard ISO plug?

I have one of those tiny amplifiers and and got everything working by just sticking the wires in, but obviously that's a terrible solution even in the short term. I was thinking of pulling the relevant pins/wires out and soldering them to the amp until I can figure out the rest. If there's a better way to do this without additional equipment, that'd work too. Thanks.

I can't quite tell from the image, but usually the brass pin/plug bits are clipped into place with a leg that springs out. You should be able to use a thin pick to close that and then back the wire out.

Something like this:

That's not quite the same connector, but you should find a similar release in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Looking for a stereo for my 2001 Silverado. All I give a poo poo about is having the colors match the rest of the dash and having bluetooth audio streaming and hands free calling. It has to be single din since my dash is stupid, and there are a bunch of lovely options I'm finding so far that look like they're from 1995. Anybody have any suggestions for something that isn't too gaudy?

Edit: considering this Pioneer MVHX560BT Digital Media Receiver for lack of any great options ~$100.

I just installed one of these in my convertible

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC-B...=p_89%3AKenwood

The BT audio works great. I need to add a couple more speakers, because space is really tight, but even with just a pair of 5.25" rounds in some kickpanel boxes I fabbed up, it sounds good.

Haven't tried the phone yet (because top down, wind noise, etc.).

It has a poo poo ton of preset colors for the back lighting, and IIRC allows you to pick a color with RYB settings, so you should be able to match the rest of the cabin lights. For me, I left it on the default which cycles through 10-12 different colors because I'm :gay: