Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I need some advice on what to do with my OEM radio in my -01 BMW E39. It has dead pixels, bad radio reception and no aux / usb / bluetooth (obviously). Recently i broke it while replacing the AC blower motor so i'm thinking about replacing it all together. What should i get if i want to stream music via bluetooth (and maybe usb?) but don't really need much else and don't want to spend a lot?

I don't need GPS, i don't need a CD or DVD reader (or DVR, what?) or back-up camera in-ports, i don't need any fancy stuff. Just Bluetooth music streaming from my phone (don't care about handsfree) and FM radio reception.

I've seen a Pioneer MVH-X560BT for 144$ that seems to have everything i need. Will i need some kind of extra adapter kit or something? How do i find out?

Killstick fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I need some advice before i burn my car down:

I've just installed a new head unit All-in-one-wonder copy from china, and the radio reception is poor (don't laugh). In the instructions it says that in case of poor reception you have to skin the antenna cable and attach a 12V power cable that comes out of the radio module. The problem is that i think that's what it says, because it's in "english". So just to be sure, is this a thing that would help with reception, or am i going to cause something catastrophic?

The power cable is a blue cable that comes out of the radio connection box thing and you're supposed to connect it to the (also blue) cable that ends in an antennae.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 17, 2014

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Lowclock posted:

Yes, that sounds legit to me. Some cars have antennas that need to be powered. There's very rarely any reason to not connect every reasonable matching connection that exists on both the car and radio's harness, and that usually only applies to the dimmer.

There is no connection, i'm supposed to skin the antennae cable and attach the power cable "wherever" on the antennae... hence my apprehension. Still fine? I'll post a picture when i get home.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Lowclock posted:

Are they asking you to cut up the actual antenna signal cable, or some little power harness that attaches to the antenna amplifier? Post their actual instructions and maybe a picture of what they're asking you to do, because I've never heard of having to do something like that before.

That blue cable is the 12V power cable, they want me to skin the antenna cable (don't have a photo of it but it's blue the same as that one and ends in what looks like a little diode or something. The instructions are (translated from not-swedish):

Q: "There is a blue cable with radio antenna adapter, where does it go to for?"
A: "It is a booster for the radio antenna, it goes to blue cable ANT-C or orange cable APM-C."

This question and answer is nonsensical to me, since the blue cable is either the one pictured, or the radio antenna itself. Nevermind, i'll have to look at it again tomorrow.

Now that i read this again i realize that it doesn't actually say to skin it, that's the previous instruction:

"If you have a 40-pin connector (i do) then cut the brown cable from the CANBUS, skin Orange cable, connect brown to orange. (Do not cut orange, it powers your amplifier)." Well this is pretty straight forward... so uh i'll be back when i have a question that makes sense, it's bound to happen eventually.

If anyone could tell me what that is on the picture (blue cable that ends in crocodile teeth) and what it is usually used for i'd be grateful.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 18, 2014

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I noticed my left front door speaker is not working. How hard would it be to replace / repair that? I'm thinking especially about diagnosing it. If it's the speaker itself that's not working, can i just replace it with some off the shelf thing or do i need to get a replacement from BMW (i'd rather kill myself). Any tips on how to diagnose something like that?

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Fairly easy to replace if it's just the speaker. You should really find out if it's the speaker though, and not a loose connection; it's not common that a speaker just stops working, without sounding like dog poo poo for a while before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO4UnUv_ZR8

Thanks for the link! The speaker was broken when i bought the car so i don't know what it sounded like before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Anyone have any experience with BAVsound's "stage 1 upgrade" kit for bmw e39s? Pending investigation i might have to replace the speakers in my car to get sound back and i was wondering if their 400$ kit was super overpriced or not. Am i better off buying individual speakers (assuming i have to replace all of them). How much value would you put on the fact that the kit is "ENGINEERED SPECIFICALLY FOR YOUR BMW".

I'm primarily looking to get sound back, not necessarily upgrading it above standard. Although good sound is nice and the bmw standard speakers are terrible.