Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

1994 Suburban - Put in a Pioneer DEH-150MP a few months ago, now it works fine for about 15 seconds when the car starts then it dies and I get an "AMP ERROR" message. The manual says: "Cause - Unit fails to operate or speaker connection is incorrect; protective circuit is activated. Action - Check the speaker connection. If the message fails to disappear even after the engine is switched off/on, contact your dealer or an authorized Pioneer Service Station for assistance."

I checked the wires behind the head unit, all OK. Took a peek at the stock speakers, which I'd known for some time were trash, and frankly I'm surprised any of them still make any noise. Completely trashed, all of them. Had fun with bits of cone falling on my face when I opened up the roof speakers at the very back. The speaker in the right rear door had worked okay, but it rattled since I started using it, so today when I fired it up for the moment that the head unit still works that speaker was completely dead. I'm guessing when I started getting the error message is when it finally poo poo the bed. Is it possible that bad speakers could cause that to happen? (Edit: Forgot to mention that the left dashboard speaker hasn't worked since I got the car and the head unit worked fine without it until now)

Also, how much would a low-end but decent quality set of speakers cost, one pair each of 4x6", 6" round, and 4x10"?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

6 speakers, no subwoofer. Judging by the two wires for the dead left dashboard speaker being orange and tan I'll hazard a thoroughly uneducated guess that they do ground themselves. I'm generally clueless with this stuff, I can strip and crimp wires and that's about it.

edit: Oh who am I kidding, I don't even know if speakers grounding themselves is something they're supposed to do or a sign they're broken. :saddowns:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 26, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Huh, 6 speakers is interesting.

That error message means that one or more speaker circuit is shorting out; either the wires on the stereo harness, the speaker wires in the car or the speaker itself. Easiest way would be to disconnect each speaker circuit at the harness or unplug each speaker one by one until the stereo works again. If no speakers are connected and it still doesn't work then it's something with the head unit.
I'll try that out tomorrow now.

edit: Tried that, guessing the head unit is junk. Gonna run by Best Buy and see if it's still under warranty.

another edit because I try not to double-post: Took it to Best Buy, unit declared junk, got a gift card for the sale price. :toot:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 27, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I just bought an '01 Suburban with a subwoofer in back that rattles a lot. Does this usually mean it's shot and it needs to be replaced? It's behind a huge single-piece trim panel on the left side, it'd probably be a pain to just get that piece off. I can't tell if the speaker grille is removable but it doesn't look like it from the outside. The car used to be a fire department vehicle and there are a couple screws stuck into the trim panel several inches ahead of the subwoofer, maybe there is*/was some radio equipment installed there - it sounds like the noise is only coming from the speaker itself and not anywhere nearby. That's also the general region where the jack is but again, that's not where the noise is coming from. Should I pull that all apart just to check or would it be safer to just assume it's dead and I need a new one?

edit: If all else fails, I could just ditch the subwoofer altogether since the rest of the speakers seem to be in good shape.

another edit: I say there may still be something there because there's still a headlight flasher module under the hood, it's just not hooked up anymore.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 15, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

Is it the subwoofer or all the plastic chevy clips that like to shake? Should be easy to take all the panels off to replace the sub, the cover will be a part of that plastic. I think they are 8" 2ohm subs so a dual 4ohm would work. Probably want a shallow mount too so might take it apart first, test away from plastic with some extra wire, then measure for what you need to order.

Can't tell what exactly is making the noise, I'll have to take it apart and take a look eventually.