Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Does anyone have links for strange-ohmage speakers of various sizes, offhand? SAAB does some really strange poo poo - and I'm not paying $50 for a center speaker..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

rscott posted:

if I buy this am I going to regret it given my above post in this thread?

Its a cheap piece of poo poo name-brand. Of course you will. It'll still be fine.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

jonathan posted:

And sometimes we listen to really loving silly music, like 2 hours of C&C Music Factory

Things that make you go Hz. v:shobon:v

You audiophiles who drive screaming jimmys confuse me.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Motronic posted:

I don't see how this very common method of managing music and why it would be advantageous to be able to wirelessly play it over a car audio system is confusing at all.

That's why FM still exists. :smug:

Really, though, with the use of tablets, et al, yeah, you need to have some means of getting media onto it, but if you were using an Android tablet in the first place, you likely have at least a microSD card. When you get sick of 16gb of music - just let me know. I still have an ancient 4g flash/fm handheld, and I've not updated it in about 4/5 years.

v- I believe he was complaining that this was counter-intuitive, despite it being, you know, not specifically designed for this task. Not to be confused with some great projects here that take a ton MORE work than clicking 'install'.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 16, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Motronic posted:

This started out talking about a nexus 7. When I get back in the office on Monday I'll look for the card slot but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

I was looking at one, but when I saw that signs pointed towards 'no', I gave up on it. It seems to be an iPad lite. I forgot that it was a Nexus, and not just a generic no name ICS clone.

Really, your best bet is probably still hoofing it for sync/new stuff/et al. There isn't really anything viable where you don't have a signal and want to sync/add new things which aren't readily available OTA.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Geoj posted:

I think the easiest/most cost effective method to do what he wants to do is buy a headunit with bluetooth A2DP (literally all but the cheapest headunits on the market have it as a standard feature) and forget about mounting the tablet in the dash, and instead get a car mount for the tablet.

We're talking about Motronic. I highly doubt adding holes into plastic with sheetrock screws will be acceptable.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Geoj posted:

???

Its a suction cup to the windshield/plastic disc stuck to the dashboard mounting device. Really couldn't be simpler v0v

I was teasing, waiting for Mot's response of 'UNACCEPTABLE'.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm thinking of swapping in an aftermarket head unit in my 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora and I am worried heat may be an issue. Right now on longer drives the front of the factory head unit gets very hot to the touch and CD's I eject from it are actually uncomfortable to handle. If I got a ~$100 alpine unit and stuck it in would I have to worry? I just want to add bluetooth music streaming and call handling really.

Where is the heat coming from? Is it coming from within the unit itself, or is the area of the console around it also warm to the touch? How hot is 'very hot'?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'd have to do more checking but I am pretty sure its from something in the dash because the MFD/trip computer also gets very hot to the touch. Very hot would be ~100F or comparable to getting in the car and touching the dash after letting it sit in the summer sun. The actual top of the dash stays cool though.

I'd be more concerned about tracking down this heat - unless that's just the heater doing its' job :downs: - but I really don't know the vehicle well enough to decide if this is 'normal'. Do you always have your lights on in the dash for some reason? Does it change at all if you dim them?

I'd suggest pulling the fuse for the radio and seeing if anything else changes, heat-wise. Some units do make quite a bit of heat. The double-DIN in my '96 gets warm, but not THAT warm.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
We need your units' model number, and the year/make/model of your car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Noni posted:

2001 Honda Accord DX, Pioneer DEH-4400HD

How many speakers?

As mentioned, the adaptor for the back of the unit itself.. should be in the unit. I've bought a handful of Pioneer, and they all had that much. Your adapter to your car is likely a match, but without the other part to graft together, won't do you much good.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DrPain posted:

Any thoughts?

Get an old CB, an amp, and use it as a PA?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

BrokenKnucklez posted:

In my 97 STS, I have been having trouble with the CD Changer in the trunk. I can load a few CDs in, I hear poo poo moving around but it always says "no disc" on the dash. I have been using CD-R's... do you think its just the changer is to old to read CD-R's or is it hosed? I would just like it working when I go to sell the car is about it really. I could care less if it works while I own the car.

Burn it at 4x or lower? Older CD changers don't like rapid-burned CD-Rs. If you did, then it just doesn't like CD-Rs. :effort:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Turn the treble all the way down, the bass all the way up. Then click the 'Co2/Normal' button. It'll reduce hiss enough to blast the entire 200 feet around you with the musical stylings of Harold Faltermeyer with PIZZAZ.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
FYAD is leaking THUMPING :rock:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Well.. :smug:

]

I got all that and WEATHER BAND :catdrugs:

Really, though, I have no problem with Pyle. I own a few of their products, and they do just what I expect them to do for the price I paid. If you just want to listen to a few things and don't need Bluetooth, I don't see any reason to poo-poo a lower end system that does what you want.

You really should be checking out Crutchfield, though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KozmoNaut posted:

Lots of headunits have SD card slots these days, so you don't have to have a thumbdrive hanging off of it all the time.

Not to mention that even if you DO get stuck with a USB fob, you can get them with a very small form factor that will hang out just a smidge, and look like a pointless knob (much like the owner).

v- "Operation button: VOL-: short press for perv". Sure it is DX, but I laffo'd.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 21, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Jensen. Or Sony Xplod. Its always a Fiero Jensen.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Wasabi the J posted:

You spelled Pyle weird.

They make more than home audio equipment now!? :holymoley:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Uthor posted:

Stupid GM and their integrating important crap into the head unit.

They do that on purpose, you know - so they can convince you to buy their "Premium" system at the initial sale.

If you decide to upgrade after that, it is going to cost you a couple grand for factory options, or you lose a few hundred trying to retain features you like to have. They could give a poo poo after the initial sale is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

89 posted:

I listen to mostly rock. No hip hop, no rap, almost no electronic stuff either.

Found it, at under half your proposed expense. They may even throw in a copy of Escape - Journeys' BESTEST cassette.