Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My 1988 Volvo 240 sedan's mostly stock sound system sounds like crap. The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-405 from the early 90s, which was apparently quite expensive when now, but lacks currently-accepted features such as auxiliary input and a clock that you can set without knowing the Clock Secret.

The car has 4" speakers in the front doors, and (I think) 5.5" speakers in the rear deck (Volvo model HT-172, which may or may not have been a premium thing). I've seen complaints from people on various forums that there isn't much mounting depth available for the door speakers.

What do I upgrade first? Are there any radios that don't have fake brushed aluminum and blue LEDs all over them? What do I need to look for in speakers? I don't need incredibly loud bass, but I would like to be able to hear any bass at all, as well as being able to crank it up far enough to hear over road noise without the elderly speakers making horrible resonaty vibraty noises. Are there any radios that don't have fake brushed aluminum and blue LEDs all over them?

Also, when I upgrade the speakers, is it possible to keep the stock speaker grilles, or do I have to change them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I've done too much looking through Crutchfield for head units and am pretty sure I'm gonna choose either the Sony CDX-GT700HD or the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X596. Are there any caveats of either of those I should know about?

My 1988 Volvo 240 already has an (old) aftermarket head unit. Can I reuse the mounting kit and wiring harness from it?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Oh god help. How did I get here I am not good with wires.

I thought I could re-use the wiring harness that came with the ca. 1994 radio. I look at all these wires spliced to differently-colored wires, and these cut wires, and the wires emanating from other parts of the car, and the wires coming out of what I think is the wiring harness that have been cut, and my brain starts turning inside out.

Is there any hope for re-using this jumble (like plugging the stereo wires into the old connector), or should I just buy a new wiring harness?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Puddin posted:

Hey, at least their all crimped up and not just twisted and taped.

Can you source a patch loom for your head unit/car combo?

I bought ones from a reseller of https://www.aerpro.com goods when I put in my new head unit.

Is a patch loom the same thing as this? That site doesn't seem to have anything other than mounting plates for a 1988 Volvo 240.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Thanks for all the help, guys. I've cut off the original one, isolated and labeled the speaker wires, and now it's much easier.

Question: the constant 12v wire for the previous stereo has what appears to be a choke (the box on the orange wire) in it. Will its absence degrade my sound quality any, or is a modern stereo immune to anything that'd come through there?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:toot:

Thank you, everyone, for the help. Also, a curse on the person who decided to mess with me by installing a fuse holder in the power antenna wire.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Puddin posted:

Looks good man! How's it sound?

Sounds better than it used to, even though I haven't done anything to the speakers; the equalizer settings in this thing let me set it just right to take full advantage of the front (4", stock) and rear (5.5"?, stock) speakers without noticeable distortion.

It's a JVC-HDR71BT, so I get HD Radio and Bluetooth and whatnot. Of course, to take advantage of the HD radio, I have to fix my power antenna mast first. :argh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Is there a place with lots of information on amplifiers? I've got another car, with no radio and eight speaker positions, and I'm planning to upgrade from 1.5" tweeters in the dashboard to bigger actual speakers. I have a feeling that a normal 20W 4-channel head unit isn't quite gonna cut it once I've got everything installed and upgraded.

Also is it ever worth it using component speakers, or is that just a big pain in the rear end?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lowclock posted:

1.5" is plenty big for tweeters. Not really any reason to go bigger. As for if it will be loud enough, well that's up to you, and a decent amp would be the way to go if you decide it's not.

It's pretty much always worth it unless you don't care how it sounds. Being able to move and angle the tweeters in different ways helps you set up a sound stage without tons of processing, and they usually have way better crossovers and drivers than what you find in coaxials.

LloydDobler posted:

Seconding this. I've gone component in every car I've owned since 2004 and I'll never go back. They really sound that much better.

Thanks! I was originally planning to put small coaxial speakers in the dash holes to replace the tweeters, but after doing more research (and finding out that component stuff comes in sets, so I don't have to buy separate woofers and stuff :v:) I think I'm gonna go with a front component system.

Two more questions:
  • The car came wired for a subwoofer in the trunk, but it didn't come with the car. Is it safe to cut the heavy-gauge wire and crimp in a power cable to an amp? It would be running in parallel with anything I decide to install in the trunk later (inverter, ham radio transciever, powered subwoofer, etc). Could I do the same with the remote amp control wire? If it helps, the wiring kit that whoever used was apparently one of these, with 35mm2 cables and a 150-amp fuse.
  • Would putting coaxial stuff in the rear deck degrade the total sound I'm getting with a component front speaker setup? If so, what's the best way to deal with the rear speaker setup? The doors will hold 5.25" drivers, and the deck will hold 6x9" drivers.

Thanks a ton, y'all!

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 11, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Anyone have a recommendation for a head unit that's not a total pain to browse an iPod or flash drive with? Preferably, it'd have a non-segmented, readable display that I can set to green to match the rest of the lights in my car.

I'd like one with fancy DSP functions to make sure I'm not gonna want to upgrade later; HD radio would be cool, and CD functionality isn't necessary.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I've narrowed my head unit choices down to three. I'd appreciate some advice.

I could get the Alpine CDE-HD148BT, which has all the features I want, and a low-res display:

Or, for $50 more, I could get the CDE-HD149BT, which is identical except for having a fold-down faceplate, a higher-resolution, easier to use and better looking display, and an aux port in the back instead of the front:

But if I'm gonna spring for that, I could get a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for the same price. It's a fancy audiophile receiver and has more DSP and sound setup options than the Alpines, but it doesn't have HD Radio. I'm not sure how much I'll use HD Radio, but it'd be nice to have the option.

Anyone here owned any of these three?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Are these MBQuart component speakers likely to be any good?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I ended up buying a factory refurbished Pioner DEH-80PRS for my Volvo. It arrived today and I installed it; it kicks rear end, despite the fact that my front passenger door speaker is apparently completely busted. Looks like I will be getting a nice set of component speakers after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Is a used pair of these likely to give me better sound than my Volvo 940's stock rear deck 6x9s, and is $35 a good price? My head unit's a Pioneer DEH-80PRS and I'm using its internal amp.