Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So the stereo in my 2010 Jetta has now failed for the second time in four years (and it didn't have bluetooth support to begin with) so I'm thinking it's aftermarket time, but I have no idea about where to start looking for such things. Any general recommendations on buying stereo systems? It'll be working with my android phone, but based on my limited experience with rentals that had it, Android Auto is somewhat useless anyway, despite seeming useful?

This is a dash unit only swap, not looking to touch the speaker system at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah ok, and should I be thinking of installing it myself? Or better to just pay somebody to do it for me? I am comfortable messing around with electronics general, but know next to nothing about automotive electronics.

e: Oh, and in regards to satellite radio tuners; my car has a satellite radio antenna, is there generally a tuner colocated with it up there? Or would I have to buy one separately if I wanted it to work? Low priority thing of course, I haven't bothered to pay for it in years because there seems to be very little decent content on SiriusXM but I digress.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 22, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

STR posted:

Late the the party, but... You need an add-on tuner, and the factory satellite antenna likely won't plug in.

A streaming-only SiriusXM account is considerably cheaper these days (can get the first 3 months free, then threaten to cancel; they'll usually throw out a $30 for 6 months offer pretty quickly.. and they'll actually tell you to call back every 6 months to get the same deal), assuming you have unlimited data or you're on a plan that exempts music streaming from your data caps (such as an older T-Mobile plan).

All SiriusXM cares about these days is subscriber count, even if they're almost giving it away.

TBH the playlists on many of the stations are stale as hell, Howard Stern is really the only reason to get SiriusXM these days. And he's getting ready to retire anyway.

Yea the only reason I had it at all was for long Canadian highway drives, where things like radio and data connections generally don't exist. But I could never find much worth listening to, and then even worse they would run constant commercials for the station I was already listening to. :psyduck:

But yeah thanks for the heads up.