Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I write my poems in the dirt with an oily rag
I have to wear a gas mask just so I don't gag
I got a SOCOM scout and twenty extra mags
And a couple severed heads in my bug-out bag

So, after finding out the factory bose system in my 04 mazda 6 wagon is hosed without the amp and sub and the cost of replacing the missing components will make it pointless to replace them only to rip it all out later, I'm looking at just building the system now. I'm hoping to do it in stages, head unit and speakers (6 1/2 s in the front, 5 3/4 I think in the rear) first, then a amp running to a sub (2x10" or 1x12"), then a deadicated amp for the speakers and possibly upgrading the speakers .Is this a terrible way to do it? Also, if this isn't a terrible idea, what are some brands I should be looking at? I love the factory rockford fosgate system in my friends eclipse and their entry level options don't seem to be priced too terribly high. I've also heard good things about kicker and polk audio. Do I have this all wrong?

Edit: if it helps, my taste in music includes a bit of everything. However I mostly want some speakers with a nice mid range and some decent bass, at least until I can get a real sub wired up.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

powderific posted:

I'd skip the rear speakers and try not to install anything you're going to just replace again later.

Why would I want to skip the rear door speakers?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

But that would leave me with absolutely 0 speakers other than the front. I'm effectively starting from nothing at the moment due to the nature of the bose system and the whole operating at 2 ohms thing along with apparently needing the amp for whatever mixing reasons.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ah, alright. That would probably work as the first "jesus chris get me some loving music in this car before I lose it" step.

Edit: What should I look for in front door speakers? Something in roughly the $80-120 range ideally.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 6, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got given a free hifonics zues 4 channel amp rated to 600 watts by a co-worker. What would happen if I hooked my phone into the line in ports on it and hooked the amp signal line from the stock headunit? Could I power speakers like that? Would it sound like dogshit?

Edit: And would I be able to use the pre-run wiring for the bose system (whats left) to avoid completely destroying the interior?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 12, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

Hey not sure if you're still watching this thread, but if I were you I wouldn't bother with the head unit, as the bose unit outputs a flat 2v line level output, has available auxmods, and you'll lose too much by going for a facia kit (like the lcd for the climate control and steering controls etc)

Just get the wiring diagram for the factory amp and solder 4 RCA pre outs to the 4 wires under the seat that would have plugged into the lovely bose amp. Get an amp that's 2 ohm stable and mount it under there, and you can literally just do that for starters. By all accounts the bose amp is the weakest point for sound quality. Get one with a line out and you can run a sub.

If you want a sub woofer level control in the cab, get an active crossover with remote sublevel and get the bonus of being able to fine tune your crossover points.

Do what you want ultimately, but IMO this would be an easy and cheaper avenue

The bose amp has 9 wires running into it from the head unit, so I'm not sure which 4 you are refering to. Also, I was under the impression that the amp did all of the actual sound processing, which means that using the headunit on its own is essentially worthless? And the metra kit is so expensive because it maintains all hvac controls along with the lcd display from what I've seen. I'd think speakers hooked up to the amp I got from a co-worker using a line in from my phone would be the quickest and easiest way to get some audio back, even of I won't get radio. I'm perfectly willing to be wrong though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X2...00BS.html?avf=Y

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_613DD...tml?cc=01&avf=Y

Which of these headunits is the better option? I really only need it to stream music from spotify through my phone and hopefully be controlled through steering wheel controls (next track, play/pause, etc) and play fm radio. Hands free calling is really not a necessity since it always sounds like poo poo. Its going to be going to 6 3/4" rockford fosgate punch speakers through a zeus amp I got for free from a co-worker and later a 12" sub with built in amp from rockford fosgate will be added. So far the only think that stands out to me is the kenwood having a physical volume knob, but it being refurbished slightly concerns me despite buying refurbished through crutchfield last time and having great luck. Halp?

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 26, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MikeyTsi posted:

What color is your car?

As general advice, regardless of what headunit you buy you're going to need an adapter to translate existing steering wheel controls to the new headunit. Depending on what color you car is there may be other functions that go through the factory head unit, so you should probably check online with people that have the same color car to see if there are any concerns there to work through.

Kenwood and Pioneer are both quality manufacturers and I'd say the main concerns are going to be aesthetic and features. Depending on what handset you have, there are certain models out there that will either replicate the display on the headunit or have some apps built-in so you just use the phone basically as an internet connection, otherwise just streaming over bluetooth works pretty well. To be honest, your requirements are basic enough at this point that you can pretty much choose any headunit that matches your budget and has a look and feel that you want in your car and you're fine provided you don't go with a poo poo brand.

It looks like they're "factory refurbished" which means it was a warranty return to the manufacturer that was repaired and they're selling for a cheaper price. That should be fine provided you're comfortable with whatever the shorter warranty period is.

Sorry, 2004 mazda 6 sportwagon with factory bose audio that has had the amp and sub removed by a bastard previous owner.

And an htc desire 626 something. I dunno, it was cheapish and fit my needs.

And yeah, in both cases I would be ordering the steering wheel adaptor. My biggest issue is not knowing the difference in quality of the two brands or the overall reliability of a factory refurb unit from kenwood. I've generally had excellent luck with refurbished stuff, but I don't feel like chancing it this time. After conversing with a few people, I'm probably going to toss the few extra dollars into the fire and get the pioneer. I'd rather have the warranty to fall back on. Thank you for the help though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Correct, the top lcd display bar is tied in the the radio, current A/C settings if you have auto a/c like I do, outside temp monitoring and the clock of course. The metra install kit while kinda ugly, is the only kit available and not only retains full lcd bar functionality, but also relocates the hazard switch along with the three hvac control buttons to allow for installation of a double din radio AND allows you to customize the wording that is displayed in area that is used for the radio. However for a first generation 6, it is 160 loving dollars through crutchfield when ordering a head unit, $210 standalone. Steering wheel controls do hickey is another $50. Gonna have it to constantly scroll "Poor Financial Decisions" at me while driving!

Edit: And I just pulled the trigger on the pioneer. $460. What the gently caress has gone wrong in my liiiife, why do I even I can't

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 27, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Metra is literally the only kit made to install a standard radio in the 6 since it requires a modified interior panel. Fortunately, paint is a thing that exists. The ugly can be fixed.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

As someone who just had to deal with this, if you include the headunit and everything works, not a big deal. If you put the stock radio back in and don't disclose why it doesn't work, you deserve whatever the new owner does to you.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Why are you sound deadening a miata? Its not going to do whit when the top is up and when the top is down... yeah.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nope. That 6 will have a factory bose system by your description of it and due to the way the system is set up, removing the amp for an aftermarket will make the rest of it sound like a bag of rear end. And as an aside, that system should have 2 amps, the main one driving the speakers and a second one driving the sub. I've got an '04 mazda 6 with the factory bose system where someone cut out the factory amp and removed the sub. To get it marginally functional again, I've had to put in an aftermarket head unit, amp and speakers and ran all new wiring (not necessary, but If I was gonna do it, I was going to do it right). I'd say his plan of tapping the existing sub wiring for a signal is probably the better way to go.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The factory sub was (supposedly, I've never seen it in person) mounted on top of the spare tire in the spare tire well, at least on the wagon. I know some people have had success adding aftermarket subs in place of the factory bose sub on various mazda 6 forums. I'm not 100% sure what he needs to do in this specific case, because like I said, I went with all aftermarket stuff due to my situation. If he has a working factory system, it may be the better option than what I did since only metra make a kit for installing an aftermarket head unit into the car and its around $150-180 depending on where you get it and what sales are going on. The kit is necessary to retain the display for the climate controls (for auto ac at least)/clock/radio.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Maybe the speaker is doa?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Crutchfields free stuff maxes out at $50. So if your stuff costs more than that, its something to keep in mind. There however are very few cars that are truly outrageous though, like my mazda 6 was.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It can be worse than that. They took $50 off a $250 install kit. It was still the cheapest option and I still need to wire my steering wheel controls in or change my steering wheel to something less ugly.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Suffer not bose speakers to live.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can dump a higher amp alternator into the car just fine. So long as the wiring is capable of handling the draw from the battery/alternator to whatever is drawing power, you're fine. In this case, so long as the amp and sub wiring is sufficient for whatever it draws at full chat, you're good to go. Extra power is just that, extra. If its not being used, its just wasted, no big deal.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh god. Suddenly I'm very proud of my 3/4 assed stereo install on basically the same mazda 6 he has. Except wagon in my case. All wires are tucked away from sight, run through factory conduits, etc. I don't have a sub though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I found app radio to be a steaming turd that didn't work when I tried it. Granted I may need to give it another shot now that I have the ground wire handbrake bodge done.