Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

I'm looking for a stereo upgrade for my 2005 Tacoma.

Speakers are still factory (until they pack it in).

I'd like to keep the steering wheel controls, BT for my phone (Galaxy S10), and a front USB key.

I don't need satellite radio or even really CDs anymore.

I don't really care if it's touchscreen or not, but if it is I see capacitive is better then resistive. From what I can see, Android Auto is essentially a fancy way to mirror your phone to an in-dash tablet, essentially?

The last time I installed a stereo in a truck was really straightforward - module for the steering wheel controls, dash kit, and a wiring harness. I'd like to go that route again.

Any recommendations of brands to look for, or avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with BOSS audio head units?

Crutchfields selection seems...limited, and a lot of head units are out of stock. I went to a brick and mortar car audio place and they said there's such a big backlog they wouldn't be surprised to see next year's models coming out early.

BOSS seem to have a lot of features for the price, but I haven't heard much about them.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Ok, I think I'm going to go for the Pioneer DMH 2660NEX.

Has all the features I want, and seems a little more 'future proof'. I decided against a front USB port when I realized that you can get extension cables with two USB ports (one for data/charging and one for charging) that will replace a cigarette outlet.

My Tacoma has 2 in the center console, one is tied up with a Bluetooth/FM transmitter because I'm still rocking a stock deck, and the other is occupied by my dash cam plug in (though you can get hardwired kits).

I saw a Maestro RR in one of the videos I was checking out, and it seems cool to be able to have vehicle info show up as a screen on the head unit. However, my truck has minimal outputs (don't even have tpms), so for the money it would be a waste. I do like the Maestro SW unit, to be able to program second functions to the steering wheel buttons...