Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I just bought a crappy 1993 Mazda 929 with no stereo. It has a double DIN opening and I really just need the best bang for my buck I can get since it's a beater. What's my best option? Theres's a Kenwood deck on Crutchfield for under $90 that looks like it will get the job done but I'm really out of the car audio scene these days.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vigo327 posted:

No link? Having to find it myself: :effort: Heh

Sorry, I wasn't thinking honestly.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC152/Kenwood-KDC-152.html

There's also these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CZ102/Clarion-CZ102.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CZ202/Clarion-CZ202.html

Is Clarion still good stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went and played with it at Walmart. Totally didn't like it and I don't think the Clarion is that bad. So now I'm thinking I'm going to bite bullet now and grab speakers while I'm at it.

The car is a 1993 Mazda 929, I don't want to spend over $175 if I can help it, what's the best combo of HU and speakers you guys would recommend?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VelociBacon posted:

Does it have speakers?

Edit: woops page late.

It does indeed have speakers. I'm not an audiophile but I still want something that will sound better than 20 year old paper cones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Crutchfield offers free install gear so I guess I can justify buying a more expensive HU right?
This is highly rated, what's the thoughts on Sony?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT700HD/Sony-CDX-GT700HD.html?tp=5684

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my Crutchfield order arrived and I decided to tear into things tonight. Here's what the PO left me. He had a deck in there but pulled it because it was "expensive as hell" in his words. It was a Walmart Dual deck for what it's worth. It did work just fine before he pulled it.

So here's what CF sent me and I'm a little clueless here. The black one plugs into the deck obviously, what's the point of the white ones? In addition to that the stock wires don't match up with the new wires.

It's a 1993 Mazda 929.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

The white ones would have plugged into the stock harness (maybe there's two for different factory stereo options? idk), and then spliced into the black harness based on wiring pinouts -- Constant hot to constant hot, switched to switched, stereo 3 + to... well, you get the idea. Black harness is made by the deck manufacturer, so it uses their color codes rather than Mazda's. What you'll wanna do is look up a stereo pinout diagram for the car, and match each wire up to the corresponding one on the black harness based on function.

There is nothing to plug into so I'm guessing the PO (or someone else in the last 20 years) cut the stock harness? There's also a piece of trim missing so the dash pocket I got with it just slides around so I need to get some double stick tape to hold it in place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I did not get that, just a lower pocket. The mounting rack is single din. This was their recommended setup for the car as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

1993 Mazda 929 Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/Red
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Blue/White
Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Red/Black
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Red/Green
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 5″ x 7″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Red
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Yellow
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Red
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Green
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/White
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Green

edit: this is what I've come up with. First color being the car harness side, second being the stereo harness side.

Since you've got a hacked up harness, and some overlapping color codes :arghfist: you'll need a multimeter or 9 volt battery to figure out which speaker wires go where. Multimeter set to resistance on the speaker wires, when you find one that's about 4-6 ohms you've found a matching pair. If you don't have a multimeter or don't feel like dragging it out, get a 9 volt battery and tap suspected pairs to it (one wire on +, one on -). You'll hear an audible pop from the corresponding speaker if you got it right. Since they've been left like that I'd bet on finding a couple of blown or missing fuses too (radio and accessory fuses, accessory may be ECU or memory or something like that).

edit: VVVVV what he said - http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1353.html

edit2: if that's everything you have, you're also missing the trim for the center stack (junkyard time) - though you should have received this as well, according to Crutchfield. You'll have to assemble it and probably cut some tabs on the kit, they make those things to fit tons of different cars. The DIN cage fits into it once it's assembled (bending a few tabs to hold it in), and the kit just screws into the factory holes.

I did get that part, just no double din cage. Called all local JYs, no 929s in town. I'm also pretty sure I popped a fuse the other day when I was messing with the wires.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got the deck in and everything works! I had indeed popped a fuse the other day so once I'd tracked that down the HU fired right up. Sounds pretty great so I won't be doing the speakers for the time being.
I do need to find that trim or cut some plastic to hold things in securely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
2006 Miata, stock BOSE stereo.
CD player is borked, looking to upgrade the head unit to something with options. Android audio, BT, mp3 discs, line in etc. Would love a system where I can have my phone's BT on and he head unit will auto connect when I get in the car. Gonna be pretty much redoing the entire interior when I garage it this winter so gonna do speakers as well. Not an audiophile but I'd like good sound. Stock stuff is great for highway cruising even with the top and windows down, looking for that quality of sound at minimum. Haven't upgraded a stereo in like 12 years so I have no clue what the go-to brands are these days. Dynamat is a waste on convertibles right?
As far as I know there are 5 speakers in the car (2 on the doors, 2 next to headrests and a center channel).
Not looking to break the bank but money isn't really all that tight on this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd also like to upgrade the HU on my wife's Scion XD. It has a stock Pioneer double din, if I just buy another Pioneer am I gonna have to splice a new harness or are theirs universal?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

um excuse me posted:

All three head units I have had has had the same pin layout and connector.

Sweet.

I kind of suck at this stuff, last time I had to do an install AI (STR) saved my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Pioneer's been using the same harness for ages.

Excellent. She'd like a HU with bluetooth, android audio etc. Anything you'd recommend?