Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Anyone ever install a stereo that has a ford mach 460/1000 audio system? I bought my 2004 mustang used and from what I can tell my speakers and amps are from a mach 460 but the receiver was upgraded to the 6-cd mach 1000. The only difference I think is a few extra subs.

Anyway, from what Ive read the system is kind of a mess with sending mono signals to the back speakers or something. I usually like to upgrade my speakers along with the receiver but with this car I just want to save the headache and only replace the receiver to get aux in functionality.

Im looking at this Pioneer FH-X700BTand crutchfield will throw me a special wiring harness to connect the amps and a 12-volt to 5-volt converter so that they dont pop when you turn it on.

This should sound and work about the same as the stock radio, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Man, its amazing what $150 will buy you these days. Ive been using the same aftermarket Pioneer radio for 10 years but I just bought a nice car and wanted something less ugly. I went with the Pioneer FHX700BT and its been great so far.

I bought it mostly because I wanted aux in, turns out I dont even need that feature because it streams music from both my ipod and windows phone. I like that its double din, too.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Humdrum Hoodlum posted:

I'm looking to buy a double din deck and am choosing between the following two:

Pioneer 2-DIN CD/ MP3/ USB Car Receiver with iPod/ iPhone/ Android Control (FH-X700BT) - $160
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...74323fe1c7ben02

Sony Bluetooth USB/CD Car Deck with Smartphone Control (WXGT90BT) - $180
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...9d914e25833en02

Any thoughts as to which is a better deck?
Those look preeeetty similar. Ive never been letdown by pioneer anything so I went with the X700BT and it works really well for me. The sony has the advantage of being capable of sirius radio without an adapter, but otherwise I'd say it mostly comes down to what you think looks better.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Panda Bear posted:

Why do goons like crutchfield so much? Is it the site/selection? I'm just about fed up with them. I've only ordered from them twice ever and for the second time they totally spaced on shipping my order for a week and I had to call for them to overnight it, even though both times I received an email saying that my items were "shipped" (ie a UPS label was printed out for them and they were promptly forgotten about). I'm at the point where I'm thinking of asking for a refund or something because truth be told I would not have given them more of my money if I knew that they'd take two weeks to get my order to me again.
But your first time was pretty good though, right?

Sucks that you're having issues, but Im sure most of us enjoy the free shipping, free installation supplies that they just throw at you and all the technical support they'll give you.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

johnny sack posted:

However, I came here to ask a question that would avoid me replacing the factory head unit in my 2006 Dodge Charger RT with the 6 speakers + 1 factory sub.

I would prefer to keep the head unit, because to replace it means I have to either pay a bunch of money for a cable to bypass the factory amp (or reroute the speakers from it, which isn't going to happen) + by a harness to maintain steering wheel controls (or sacrifice them, but that's retarded and I'm not going to do that) + buy a new head unit + 5 channel amp for the speakers and sub, etc etc.
I dont know anything about the car specifically, but did you look at crutchfield? I drive an 04 mustang with the silly mach audio system, and they threw in the adapter I needed to use the factory amps and subs for free when I bought an aftermarket radio. Dunno about the steering wheel controls though.

I too wanted to keep the factory radio at first because it was a nice 6 disc changer, but I really love all the features the new radios gives.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I am too lazy to look, any chance its double din? I have this and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-FH-X700BT-In-Dash-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B0091UW7F6

You can never go wrong with Pioneer.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

some texas redneck posted:

Couldn't find a double DIN in my price range, but how horrible is the DEH-X8600BH? I was looking for Bluetooth, HD radio, and one of the big 3 names - I wanted double DIN, but the only double DINs they had in my price range were the incredibly ugly FH series (which is even uglier than my factory stereo).
I think mine is beautiful, Ive got the colors matched up with my dashboard and it looks great. Blutooth works awesome and the sound is great, you're missing out if you think its ugly, or even care.

Of course, I care more about sound than I do looks. My last radio (which has been in 4 cars for over ~10 years) looked like this:

Always buy pioneer.

Cage fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 28, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Uh, how much do you care about the actual audio? Pyle makes some pretty plain jane looking stereos, but I have to assume they sound like a "pyle" of crap. Though I cant imagine it'll sound worse than a radio from ~30 years ago.

Though obviously you lose the blutooth. I dont know if they make anything with blutooth, I didn't look at much of their offerings.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 3, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Do you have a factory radio or aftermarket, what kind of vehicle?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
oops

Cage fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 25, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mentholmoose posted:

One last question before I do this install: the Crutchfield master sheet recommended a prying tool to get the dash out. Do I actually need one of those or will something like the prying end of a hammer work instead?
So far all Ive done are radio installs in (4) 90s oldsmobiles and (2) 90s fords. Except for a screw or bolt here and there I just pull the dash apart with my hands. I would probably hate doing a radio install in a newer vehicle.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have a 99 ford explorer with the stock radio/cd player. I also have a 6-cd radio from a 2004 ford mustang that is sitting unused. Is there any chance that there are some wiring kits that will let me throw the 6-cd in my explorer? I don't really know what terms I should be searching for.

edit: The connections are indeed different, I already checked.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know you said no pioneer, but pioneer.

X700BT, its $84 on newegg but sold out at the moment. I paid $150 almost a year ago and that was a good deal.

You only have to go deep in the menus to set it up the way you like it. Sound/lights. For everyday using its easy.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 30, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont know what the interior of a 95 eclipse looks like but all of my oldsmobile and fords from the 90s were easy to do, as no one cared about leaving obvious screws and dash panel gaps hidden in the 90s.

You'll buy the radio and a wiring harness. The radio will come with a harness that plugs into the radio and has color coded wires sticking out. You'll also buy a vehicle specific harness that will plug right into your dashboard where the old radio plugged in and will have color coded wires on the other end. You will attach these color coded wires to each other via soldering or whatever those twisty connectors are (or if youre like me electrical tape because :effort:) and then you might have to buy a little adapter to connect your antenna for the radio.

You'll also have to deal with a mounting kit that mounts to your car, so that your new sized radio can mount to your car. These are usually pretty easy. If your car comes with a fancy stereo system with amps and subs it might be more difficult.

If you shop at crutchfield and buy something over $100 they'll give you all the harnesses and mounting kits you need, I would start there.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ive had four oldsmobiles and replaced most of the speakers with Pioneer. You can get a really nice set for $200 or less.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Clitch posted:

Can I ask a really boring question?

My latest DD beater is an 02 Honda Odyssey. It's been well-kept, and the original stereo sounds fine, but I'm looking for a new head unit to pair with my android phone for music and calls. My audiophile requirements are: "Yup. That's certainly a sound." I will set the EQ preset to ROCK, and forget the option exists. I can solder wires together. I can read a wiring diagram. I promise to buy the appropriate harness.

Is there a "Just buy this, and go away." option for around $100?
You can go to crutchfield and buy pretty much anything from a brand you've heard of before with the features you want. (Bluetooth, aux input, satelite radio). JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, whatever looks the least terrible. Avoid boss, dual, and pyle.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So, if you guys had to choose one of the dozens of so of android units on amazon that freeze and reboot and can only update firmware if you upload it to the inside of an uncracked egg that sell between $50-$200, which would you go with? I got a big ol honkin car now and want something with a rear view cam, but I am also a big honkin cheapo.

Heres a filtered amazon list.

This ones pretty cool. Has a jet on it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

everdave posted:

Double din or single? The hikitty or some poo poo is apparently the players of $100 double din car play android poo poo.
I can do double, I just liked the single din lil jet. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

everdave posted:

A few weeks ago or more unposted about a Corehan or similar brand on Amazon that has CarPlay and android auto for the time $62 on Amazon.

Just an update it still starts flawlessly and in 15-20 seconds and has kept all the settings in that time with no weird battery draw.

Will definitely buying one again for future imports. Touch screen is really responsive too.
Hows the brightness in full sun?